Sonos Version 6.4 Now in Public Beta

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

290 replies

Badge +1
Have to admit that fiddling with and removing the "play now" feature is an awful decision. Fair enough to introduce new functionality but don't remove essential basic features in the process.

I'm sure a lot of people enjoy listening sessions jumping around in their music collection and listening to individual tracks. I for sure am.

Please bring back this feature...
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Sounds interesting, I think I will give this a try! I never really liked the play one queue thing, but I adjusted to that because that was the way Sonos worked, and I understood technically why it was better to work that way.

But from using vinyl, cassettes, CD, itunes and Spotify. Sonos never felt to me that was the natural way to do it.

All I need now is the technical boffins to work out Truplay for Android... then I will be even more happy 🙂
been waiting for this for a long time.
Badge
Wow. Not in a good way.
I just installed the PC app (not even tried on a phone yet (need to dig out an email link for that...).
Had my queue playing, built up over a while. Went to my library and into a random album and double clicked a song. The whole album replaced my entire queue (without ANY warning of what was going to happen) and played the selected track. Has that queue now gone forever (had I not saved it as a playlist?
If I had done it on a phone, I assume just selecting the track while I was trying to scroll past it would have yielded the same result?
Exact same thing happened to me on the Mac. The "queue protection" feature doesn't seem to work with the queue that you had established when you did the update. After the Sonos initially destroyed my queue (nothing too important), when I then built up another queue and tried the same thing, I got the expected warning.
Badge
Overall, I find the new behavior to be user unfriendly so far. The problem is that the behavior that occurs when you start a song playing depends upon state that is not immediately obvious to the user.

Have you modified your queue? Or haven't you? Do you remember? If you modified the queue, you get warned. If you haven't, it's gone.
Overall, I find the new behavior to be user unfriendly so far. The problem is that the behavior that occurs when you start a song playing depends upon state that is not immediately obvious to the user.

Have you modified your queue? Or haven't you? Do you remember? If you modified the queue, you get warned. If you haven't, it's gone.

I can't comment at whether or not the beta software sees the initial room queue(s), on install, as an edited or unedited queue, but anything else that follows after that is quite clear ... If a saved playlist or album is loaded into a queue and no changes are made to it, then the next chosen playlist, or album, will overwrite it, without warning, because the system knows that the user can quickly go get the first playlist or album again.

Once any queue is edited .. That can be by adding/removing one or more tracks, or simply changing the original playlist-order, then it cannot be over-written without first seeing the warning dialog box, which tells the user to cancel and save their queue, or replace it with the new selection.

It doesn't really matter what the user remembers, or how long things have been in place... If the queue is replaced without the warning dialog box, the user can be sure that they have that same album or playlist available to them, that's if they really need to get it again.

If it was a previously edited queue, then the warning box is there to remind the user to save it ... If in doubt, then I would recommend they save the queue - even if they only do so temporarily.

The main issue, is people not reading what's on screen and quickly by-passing the warning box and forgetting to save, but that is the users own fault and not a fault with the beta software.

One warning box is enough surely... I don't think anyone would want to see another additional warning box, that asks the user... 'Are you really sure?' whether or not a few minutes, hours, days or weeks have passed and their memory of what they did sometime earlier has faded.
Userlevel 1
Downloaded the beta, and I find that live radio playback (BBC in the UK) has degraded significantly, with lots of pauses as if the connection doesn't have the bandwidth. Except that bandwidth is deifnitely not a problem. Anyone else with the same trouble?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Downloaded the beta, and I find that live radio playback (BBC in the UK) has degraded significantly, with lots of pauses as if the connection doesn't have the bandwidth. Except that bandwidth is deifnitely not a problem. Anyone else with the same trouble?

Hi Jim, there are some troubles with some of the BBC streams that's being worked on, but it isn't related to the update. People on the non-beta version are having similar issues. If you'd like to follow and maybe post a diagnostic in this thread we'll be updating it when there are more details.
This beta version is fantastic, can't wait to get the release for iOS. The reason I was frustrated with the controller was the inability to simply tap to play like all of my other music apps. It requires too many steps but this beta resolves the issue, I actually enjoy using the controller to unify my streaming services and offline playlist now. Some people will dislike any change, the vast majority of users will greatly enjoy this improvement. To appease everyone, Sonos may wish to consider swipe gestures to add to queue like some music apps have it.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
I have to say I am in complete agreement with The LHC on this issue. The default queuing of the remaining songs in a playlist or album seems like the wrong default position to me. It was easy enough to add an entire playlist or album if a user wanted. I suspect that a significant % of users are master queue builders and pride themselves on being able to create the playlist order that they want. I personally do not like Sonos pre-supposing what I want to hear next. I generally know exactly what I want next and need no assistance.

But simply put. There isn't a satisfying alternative. Add features sure - but don't destroy or remove others that are longstanding and actually quite intuitive.

I have shared this feature through official Beta channels. As I have said then this is these queue management changes are the first time I have felt that the company has actually deteriorated my user experience. And sadly the deterioration is a bit too significant. I will survive it but I really really don't like it. It is unintuitive for many users and confusing.

Just my 2 and a half cents.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Problem is it is a polarizing issue. There were people like me who were happy old way. But those asking for play from now hat are happy now. For some reason Sonos won't allow personal choice where both groups could have been made happy (like as many had suggested a toggle in menu that the play option either played one song or from here).
The Queue concept is one of the best features for me and I have zero interest in a "play from here" feature. Unfortunately, it is very hard to ignore the beta's "play from here" because it is so aggressive. I can understand that early digital players wanted to emulate LP's, cassettes, and CD's because "play from here" was the custom and the physical reality, particularly for LP's and cassettes. CD players and changers allowed some level of "programming", but it was arduous. Since I am more of a single track oriented, rather than whole album person, the Queue worked well for me, it was liberating. The SONOS system set me free because I could easily build my arbitrary Queue (call it an "instant playlist" if you like) without needing to deal with the delays associated with swapping physical media, waiting for cassettes to slew, or CD changers to swap a disc. I spent many hours building custom tapes to accomplish this. I can clearly recall my initial experience with a borrowed iPod. Once I bumped into "play from here" and a few other "features", I simply handed the iPod back to its owner and never returned.

For those familiar with RPN calculators, while this concept is a frustrating enigma for many, it is intuitive to me. If you want to giggle while watching someone struggle with technology, watch me attempt to use a four function calculator. Practically at every other operation I expect to be able to pull something from the (non existent) "stack".

I can live with the beta PC controller because I can drag and drop single tracks on the Queue. On the Android I must use the three dots and either "Play Next" or "Add to End of Queue", then go to the Queue and manually select the track. This is a lot of work to simply "start playing this one track now".

I think that there should be a "classic" or "modern" flag somewhere. "Classic" retains the original user Queue philosophy.
I agree with you Buzz. The advantage of software is the ability to have random access to your preferred songs. Play from now reverts to a linear, hardware-driven model that is less flexible.
Sonos: please don't make the current functionality harder to use.

Cheers, Peter.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
This beta version is fantastic, can't wait to get the release for iOS. The reason I was frustrated with the controller was the inability to simply tap to play like all of my other music apps. It requires too many steps but this beta resolves the issue, I actually enjoy using the controller to unify my streaming services and offline playlist now. Some people will dislike any change, the vast majority of users will greatly enjoy this improvement. To appease everyone, Sonos may wish to consider swipe gestures to add to queue like some music apps have it.

True that you can never please everyone but I rather suspect that the changes to the queuing system may be impacting more users than you think. So not sure about this "vast majority greatly enjoying". In the end Sonos is I am sure collating the feedback and will decide whether there is enough discontent.

Further like some have already expressed, for many, Sonos not being like the other apps in terms of some of the queuing protocols is exactly why they preferred the Sonos way - myself included.
Userlevel 3
Badge +7
I can understand why Sonos might be reluctant to implement a classic / modern switch that Buzz has suggested. If a user is using "modern" mode in their own home but goes to someone else's house who is using "classic" they will get a different experience and could end up being confused by the difference in behavior. I suspect that Sonos are looking for simplicity and consistency.

I am really struggling to understand the negativity surrounding this beta - It is so much better. It just needs an "Add to End Of Queue / Play Now" option, to ensure there is no loss in functionality.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
It is better in your opinion. I would strongly disagree. I don't want play from now cluttering up my queue with songs I do not want
Userlevel 7
Badge +14
How do people find the triple tap to go back a track? It's maybe worked once or twice for me but generally either pauses or goes to the next track. I've tried all different 'tapping' speeds.
Userlevel 4
Badge +9
Keep in mind that going back only works for the queue so not for radio style streams (e.g Deezer Flow or Apple Music radio) where skipping a track does work.
Userlevel 7
Badge +14
I know. Just NAS sourced music I'm playing.
How do people find the triple tap to go back a track? It's maybe worked once or twice for me but generally either pauses or goes to the next track. I've tried all different 'tapping' speeds.

Yes, I have noticed that you do have to triple-click the button real fast to make it work. I think Sonos need to look at the 'tap' speed here, the timing seems to be too quick and needs to be slowed down a little. A slider bar to adjust the 'tap speed' in advanced settings, would be useful.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I wish they would allow user assignable button presses.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
As stated before, I really like the new update but would agree that adding play now options in to queue menu would be better.

Other than this I do have one issue with the room groupings.

If I have am listening to music in one room and wish to move the queue in that room to another room to continue listening upstairs, I would normally:

select current room
untick current room box and tick new room box

This would move the queue as desired.

But now, if music is currently playing in the other room, there is no way for me to do this without first stopping the music in the other room then doing the procedure above.

If music is playing in the other room , then when i untick the box of current room and tick the box of the other room, it states the music played will be that already playing in the other room.

Is this a bug? I feel it shouldn't work this way, it is a nuisance to have to first stop music in the other room and then move music from current room to the other room. The old way was much quicker and simpler.

Anyone else confirm this behaviour?

EDIT - what i meant was if music isn't playing in current room, then there is no way to move the queue from that room to a different room without first pressing play on the current room!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
It must be a bug in the version you have. Mine may be slightly newer and I moved queue from room to room with no issue. Playing and not playing.
Userlevel 7
Badge +14
A nice update to the latest beta for many.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
Well I am sure many of you would have seen the good news this morning. "Play now" has returned without queue replacement.

"You Reported, We Listened:

We read your feedback and came to one conclusion: You love our new app, but sometimes you just want to play a song, album, or playlist without replacing the entire queue. We get it! -Thanks to your feedback we made this change. After you update you will see a “Play Now” option when you select the more options button next to a song, album, or playlist. This option will insert your selection into the queue and play it now without replacing your current queue."

Glad that the feedback was duly taken. I am a happier camper now.