Sonos Version 6.4 Now in Public Beta

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

290 replies

In our house, three of us often take it in turns to add music to the queue from our various idevices while we cook dinner and have a wine. I hope the changes won't increase the chances of queue violations!

I think it's just a case of getting used to the new way of working with this beta. Just 'long press' or select the ellipsis (...) on any track/album/playlist and choose the option 'Add to End of Queue' ... That's the end of the training lesson and was the only instruction I needed for my family gathering last night.

I/we did edit the play order once or twice in the queue itself.

My son-in-law later did hit an album ’Play' button by mistake on the album cover and he got the 'Queue has been Edited' dialog box and he handed the controller back to me to cancel it, but then I had to briefly explain the feature ... but we didn't have any real major issues.

I think people's fears of using the controller at a party, depends on what they tell their guests, but there's nothing to stop anyone saving a customised playlist (even as a backup or as a temporary measure) if they have concerns that some people may not fully understand what they are doing.

I have several saved playlists to use at a party anyway and to use the new 'shuffle-play' feature with any of those would have provided a reasonable replacement anyway in case of accidental deletion of the queue. It's not something I would stress-over personally.
Perhaps a 'padlocked' (edited/non-edited) queue that a user could still add to, but not replace, or delete its entire content, would satisfy a few people, coupled with the return of the old instant 'Play' context-menu option, which I think would resolve most of the concerns that have been raised in this thread.

It's still early days for this beta, but presumably that's why Sonos have released the software as a Public Beta, in order to listen to the users here and to see all their precise needs.

After consideration, I think there are plenty of improvements too in the new software that are most welcome.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I agree with Barry.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Party mode or "padlocked" as you saynis feature we have been requesting years. Don't expect us to see this cycle (if ever)
Userlevel 6
Badge +13
Ken, you are wildy, optimistically and completely misunderstanding the point of a Sonos Public Beta.. (It's still early days for this beta, but presumably that's why Sonos have released the software as a Public Beta, in order to listen to the users here and to see all their precise needs.)
From the experience of many here, and as already stated, this is more or less a bug fixing exercise and I'd not expect to see any real changes. All of the comments above will already have been made before the public beta, yet here we are....
It will remain to be seen how Sonos respond to the feedback once in it's out of beta.
I've been away for a few weeks and am about to install it - but the 'clarity' of knowing how things work(ed) isn't there at the minute for me. Talk of protected playlists (ironic given that Sonos still won't even allow us to back them up) still isn't clear to me. It seems a very strange way of adding the requested 'Add from here to queue' feature. And depending on whether a queue has been altered will change the action when selecting a song? My queues tend to build up over weeks and even months and I do save them as playlists too - but the thought of an errant tap wiping a queue out is a bit scary.
Anyway, I'll check it out..
Some of the changes appear to be ones that some existing members were so against that they would make them consider selling up completely.. As often mentioned it will be interesting to see which other solution they move on to - and, also as often advised, resale values are good... 🙂
Userlevel 6
Badge +13
Wow. Not in a good way.
I just installed the PC app (not even tried on a phone yet (need to dig out an email link for that...).
Had my queue playing, built up over a while. Went to my library and into a random album and double clicked a song. The whole album replaced my entire queue (without ANY warning of what was going to happen) and played the selected track. Has that queue now gone forever (had I not saved it as a playlist?
If I had done it on a phone, I assume just selecting the track while I was trying to scroll past it would have yielded the same result?
Userlevel 6
Badge +13
Can someone verify something for me (not in the beta)?
I thought that if I grouped 2 rooms then the music to be played is dictated by the room that 'Group' is selected from? Is that the same even if the music isn't yet playing in the 'source' room?
I have a queue in Room A (not yet playing) and a queue playing in Room B.
I select Group from Room A and it tells me 'Selected Room will play:' and shows a track from the Room A queue. I then select Room B to be added - and the 'Selected rooms will play' changes to the Room B selection - even though I selected Group from room A. Is it simply because because there's nothing yet playing in Room A - although there is a track selected and, before selecting Room B, it tells me the selected rooms will be playing Room A content.

How do I add a track from my library and play it immediately (without destroying the queue)?
To add a track and play it without wiping the queue, choose play next from context menu, then go to the queue and selecting it. At least that's how I'm doing it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
As said before there is no option to play now in queue. Which I'm not completely against as had many a person chose that annoyingly at party and cut current song. Some may disagree incan see it very useful for individual listening (why if it is there there should be party mode to disable at party). What I don't like is if there is an empty queue there is no option to play a single song in queue which is what that option was useful for in the last. I don't want to use the non queue play now of clicking song because then all the additional songs on album will add to my queue which I would never want and would have to go in and manually delete from queue.
As said before there is no option to play now in queue. Which I'm not completely against as had many a person chose that annoyingly at party and cut current song. Some may disagree incan see it very useful for individual listening (why if it is there there should be party mode to disable at party). What I don't like is if there is an empty queue there is no option to play a single song in queue which is what that option was useful for in the last. I don't want to use the non queue play now of clicking song because then all the additional songs on album will add to my queue which I would never want and would have to go in and manually delete from queue.

Chris,

I'm away from my system today, but I think that if the queue is completely empty to begin with and you choose the option 'replace queue' from the context menu of a track, I think it will then play that one song immediately, so you don't then have to go to the queue to start the song ... Not very intuitive I guess, but I think it is a workaround and I believe it does not add all the other album tracks too.

Sorry I can't check this at the minute to confirm it is the case, but you may want to try that and see if it works.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I will try that tonight.
Thanks Chris, it's only good if the queue is empty (as I recall) and obviously it would replace any existing queue if there were one, I can however see why MikeV and others here have mentioned that they want the old instant 'Play' menu option returned.

I have noted sjw's remarks too, saying that nothing ever changes in the beta software, but I still remain a little more optimistic that Sonos will listen to its customers and maybe try to address some of the things mentioned by the users in the community, even if such changes roll-over to a later version. We shall see, but it may depend on the much bigger picture and what the company has planned next.

I would not see any of these changes in the beta, as even slightly causing me to consider selling any of my Sonos equipment by the way.

Selling your Sonos equipment just because of the changes in this beta, that's surely 'cutting off your nose to spite your face'... I reckon anyone doing that, had probably already really made their decision to sell and are just using this as their 'feeble' excuse. The tracks I play, still sound as good, if not better than before, on my equipment and I find I am listening to even more music these days.
Selling your Sonos equipment just because of the changes in this beta, that's surely 'cutting off your nose to spite your face'... I reckon anyone doing that, had probably already really made their decision to sell and are just using this as their 'feeble' excuse. The tracks I play, still sound as good, if not better than before, on my equipment and I find I am listening to even more music these days.

I'm one of the people that have said that Ken, more than once, and I don't want to sell, Sonos has been the soundtrack to my entire leisure time for the last 8 or 9 years that I've been an owner. I'm not on the beta program (I never bother with them), so it's not affecting me yet and I'll put off upgrading when it is released for as long as possible but sooner or later this is going to affect me. What I don't know at the moment is by how much. I don't use playlists, so that whole side of it, good and bad, is irrelevant, it's the accidental replacing the queue that bothers me. I frequently add a single track on a whim, using play next to drop it in after the current track. Depending on how many times I forget about the change or accidentally tap the song will decide what I do with the system. I probably won't sell but I can easily see me ignoring the entire system in frustration and moving one of my vinyl systems into the room I usually listen to Sonos in and that would disappoint me greatly.
The LHC,

If you put an album on your turntable and play it in its entirety, or even choose to listen to one or two tracks etc... That in many respects is what the new beta is doing ... It puts the entire album (or playlist) into the queue, even though you may only want to listen to just one or two tracks. So I think of the queue as being like my turntable.

If you take the album off your turntable and replace it with another one, it's the same thing the beta is doing when it replaces the album/playlist with another album or playlist. If the queue was original and unedited it replaces it without warning ... (Because it knows the user can quickly and easily go get that album, or playlist again, if they want to).

I know this is just an 'analogy' of the way I see the beta software and that some people here want more than that, like loading up a single track from an album (without all the other tracks etc.) and that some others who have created their own album of songs (a treasured queue), are fearful that they may mistakenly lose or overwrite it, but the truth is there are ways to save those valued 'compilations' and there is a dialog box that warns the user that things will be replaced, if they try to do so.

If you are happy with your turntable and playing/swapping albums on a regular basis (...and I think you are from what you say in your post above), then I personally do not think you will be that disappointed with the beta. You may actually go onto like it, if you are willing to keep an open mind about these things.

All I can say is, I was a little sceptical too to begin with, but I actually think some of the features of the new beta like 'shuffle-all' and 'play-all' and the new aspects surrounding 'grouping' and 'ungrouping' rooms that are playing different queued-playlists are quite good and far outweigh the disadvantages being mentioned.

I too, am not entirely passionate about my playlists and I tend to update and replace many of them from time to time. I am also not too bothered about my queue and I really just see that as my 'turntable' and it's often easy for me to replace it with another shuffled album etc.

The area where many gripes are being raised here, are probably from those people who use their queue like a jukebox... Lots of stuff loaded and they regularly add/remove/reorder things without saving the queue. They really just need to get into the habit of saving it every so often.. Strangely some seem to not want to do that, I really don't know why?

The one feature being asked for, that I do sympathise with, is the one mentioned by MikeV, who wants to add a single track to a queue, which leaves the existing queue intact and starts playing that one added song... This can be done, but at the moment it's not a single step (one click process) like it is in v6.3.

I think some people may just need to persevere with things a little more and not knee-jerk a response by their initial first impression.... Like I have said before the beta has quite 'grown' on me the more I have used it.
Userlevel 3
Badge +7
There seems to be an issue with the Android beta download link at the moment. I was hoping to install it on my parents system tonight as I think they will love the simplicity - They don't really use the queue and have found it to be over complicated for their needs.
I'm new here, so please excuse my ignorance if this info is otherwise obvious:
I understand this beta has "limited" availability, aka pretty much everything but iOS, but why am I only seeing the dL option for Android? Shouldn't Mac and PC also be available? If so, please let me know where I can find them.
Happy listenin' and track skippin' 😉
Check for updates using the Mac/Pc controller and you will get the updated version.
The LHC,

If you put an album on your turntable and play it in its entirety, or even choose to listen to one or two tracks etc... That in many respects is what the new beta is doing ... It puts the entire album (or playlist) into the queue, even though you may only want to listen to just one or two tracks. So I think of the queue as being like my turntable.

If you take the album off your turntable and replace it with another one, it's the same thing the beta is doing when it replaces the album/playlist with another album or playlist. If the queue was original and unedited it replaces it without warning ... (Because it knows the user can quickly and easily go get that album, or playlist again, if they want to).

I know this is just an 'analogy' of the way I see the beta software and that some people here want more than that, like loading up a single track from an album (without all the other tracks etc.) and that some others who have created their own album of songs (a treasured queue), are fearful that they may mistakenly lose or overwrite it, but the truth is there are ways to save those valued 'compilations' and there is a dialog box that warns the user that things will be replaced, if they try to do so.

If you are happy with your turntable and playing/swapping albums on a regular basis (...and I think you are from what you say in your post above), then I personally do not think you will be that disappointed with the beta. You may actually go onto like it, if you are willing to keep an open mind about these things.

All I can say is, I was a little sceptical too to begin with, but I actually think some of the features of the new beta like 'shuffle-all' and 'play-all' and the new aspects surrounding 'grouping' and 'ungrouping' rooms that are playing different queued-playlists are quite good and far outweigh the disadvantages being mentioned.

I too, am not entirely passionate about my playlists and I tend to update and replace many of them from time to time. I am also not too bothered about my queue and I really just see that as my 'turntable' and it's often easy for me to replace it with another shuffled album etc.

The area where many gripes are being raised here, are probably from those people who use their queue like a jukebox... Lots of stuff loaded and they regularly add/remove/reorder things without saving the queue. They really just need to get into the habit of saving it every so often.. Strangely some seem to not want to do that, I really don't know why?

The one feature being asked for, that I do sympathise with, is the one mentioned by MikeV, who wants to add a single track to a queue, which leaves the existing queue intact and starts playing that one added song... This can be done, but at the moment it's not a single step (one click process) like it is in v6.3.

I think some people may just need to persevere with things a little more and not knee-jerk a response by their initial first impression.... Like I have said before the beta has quite 'grown' on me the more I have used it.

The point you're missing Ken (which is entirely because I haven't gone into any great detail about my listening habits) is that when I'm listening to the vinyl, it's in the living room when listening to music is the main point of the exercise, so it's fine that I listen to a whole album and turn it over halfway through etc etc. The room I listen to Sonos in most often is the room I play pool and darts in and in that situation I really don't want the bother of changing a record over every 20 minutes, I just want to stick everything on shuffle and leave it, unless I think of a track I want there and then, in which case the last thing I want is to accidentally delete the whole queue. It's too different situations with different requirements. Either way there is no situation where I want Sonos to continue playing an album because I've selected a single track from that album.
Userlevel 3
Badge +7
[
The point you're missing Ken (which is entirely because I haven't gone into any great detail about my listening habits) is that when I'm listening to the vinyl, it's in the living room when listening to music is the main point of the exercise, so it's fine that I listen to a whole album and turn it over halfway through etc etc. The room I listen to Sonos in most often is the room I play pool and darts in and in that situation I really don't want the bother of changing a record over every 20 minutes, I just want to stick everything on shuffle and leave it, unless I think of a track I want there and then, in which case the last thing I want is to accidentally delete the whole queue. It's too different situations with different requirements. Either way there is no situation where I want Sonos to continue playing an album because I've selected a single track from that album.

The LHC, I think it's just a case of getting used to the new options. I've been listening to a playlist of 5* rated tracks this evening on shuffle and it's very easy to add additional tracks to play next without loosing the queue. You just have to remember to use the "..." option next to the track + "Play Next" (the same applies for albums). As my 5* playlist is an imported iTunes playlist it wouldn't be an issue for me if I accidentally replaced the queue as I can easily start shuffling the playlist again. Everyone has been used to tapping a track to get the "Play Next" option but if you do that now you get the warning "Playing this will replace the queue" with the ability to cancel the action and use the "..." menu option instead. I really love this new update as I can switch between shuffling a playlist and listening to an album in full (non shuffled) with ease now. It was a pain before, as you had to remember to turn off shuffle before replacing a queue with an album. I hated the way an album would start playing shuffled, requiring me to stop the music, turn off shuffle and then tap the first track. For me, this benefit greatly outways the slight disadvantage of having to click "..." next to a track to get the "Play Next" option. I think it's just a case of getting used to using that menu option. Something that you will do instinctively with a little time.

This is a great update and I would never want to go back to the old way. I do agree that for a party there should be some way of protecting the queue from being replaced by an inexperienced user, but when it's just me using the system I know what I am doing, and I get a warning if I do the wrong thing by accident.

On a completely separate note, one thing I would like is an ability to "long press" on a track in the queue and "Move to Next". I could easily scroll through my queue of 5* tracks, find a song I love and move it to play next. Please add this Sonos !!!
The LHC,

I don't really know what to say to you, other than I too was somewhat sceptical about the beta at first glance, but through using it more and more each day, I have found that it grew on me as I got used to the new features and understood how things worked.

I am an 'Apple Music' user normally and it works nothing-like what I am used to, so I have had to adapt to the new features. I am told it works very much like 'Spotify' and also has some features that correspond with 'Google Play Music'. So I have had to alter my ways and go through a slight learning curve.

'Yes' - I have gone from 'accidentally' deleting my queue, to now choosing to save it, or replacing it intentionally. I soon learned to do that and really the failings in this area were initially my fault, for not reading what I was seeing and clicking quickly past the warning dialog box.

On the positive side, I do find playing albums and playlists (shuffled, or otherwise), very much quicker as DarrenLink explains above and the fact on occasions some additional tracks are loaded into the queue, just means that I now get to listen to some 'extra' tracks that I might otherwise not bother with. In reality, I find this feature useful as I can quickly choose another track in the queue from the same album or playlist.

I don't mind change and I am prepared to try new things and in all honesty I have discovered more advantages in the beta, than disadvantages, with the new features.

I certainly did not find the feature-changes in the beta that 'drastic', even to begin with ...and definitely nowhere near to the extent that I would even consider changing my audio system, or to threaten such.

I appreciate we are all different and we each do things in different ways, but Sonos have stated they have researched this area for months, before bringing this beta to the table. So it appears it should suit more people, than it disappoints.

Like I have said, overtime, the beta has grown on me and I'm definitely listening to more music now than before ...and that, in many ways, isn't a bad thing.
I'll declare my colours and say that I like the changes.

I regularly play (or at least start to play) whole albums, whether from my own library or online. Every day Deezer suggests new ones based on my play history and it's a breeze to try them out, with less taps/clicks than before. I like the fact that shuffle is instantly cancelled by standard album play. I like that I can select an artist's Top Tracks on Deezer -- or any playlist for that matter -- and put them straight into shuffle.

Every so often I re-compose a 7000+ track queue using the DCR -- from library and online sources -- and save it as a Sonos playlist for shuffled alarm play. No problem: the process all works just as before.

I've noted the comments about the queue being 'hidden away', and frankly I don't recognise them. It's still there, as it's always been. Yes, you can ignore it and watch the album/playlist displays instead, but it's there if you want it.
Badge
I like the sound of this change. I am forever going to play a song on an album or top tracks list, expecting the next song to come on but instead being met with silence.

As long as queue can still be added to with long press then I think this is much more intuitive.
Userlevel 2
Updated to this beta a couple of days ago. Sonos has not worked sinced. Can get some seconds of music (from Spotify/radio), before it stops. Very laggy.
Have tried restarting modem/routers/switch/Sonos. Still the same result. Worked flawlessly before the beta.
Is it any possible way to revert to a stable version?

I have 4 zones. 1 wired and 3 on WiFi. The wired one is a bit better (gets like 10 seconds of music before stopping, WiFi it is more like 2 seconds).
Have tried restarting modem/routers/switch/Sonos.
What about all the other devices on your network? You have the classic IP-conflict-after-update symptoms.
Userlevel 2
I will give it a try. 🙂 I have everything stuck on static IP inside the router, but hopefully it will get better.