Sonos Version 6.4 Now in Public Beta

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

290 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17
I wish Sonos would just have given us a toggle switch to turn play from here on and off... don't know why they dislike customization so much

agreed - this would have been the 'safest' way to go to keep both parties happy (the old way of adding music and a very visible queue system VS the new way with having less visibility on the queue and by default working with full albums/playlists from any chosen point)

personally I think it could also be solved via my previous suggestions :-)

so IMO extra options should be
- add a "Play Now in Queue" to the '...' menu of track/playlist/album - this will insert the track/playlist/album (however you got to it) into the current queue position and play it
- add a "Play Now at End of Queue" to '...' menu of track/playlist/album - this will insert the track/playlist/album (however you got to it) to the end of the queue and play it
- add both the above options also to the 'This Queue has been edited' dialog (make 2 rows of buttons). Only 'Play Anyway' will destroy the queue and replace it.
- keep Play Next, Add to End of Queue, Replace queue as they are on the '...' menu.
- as per DarrenLink above, move the '...' menu in the top right of album/playlist to be more prominent and aligned to the right of the 'Play All' and 'Shuffle' and make it bigger.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Complete agreement here Nick.

"Play Now (Single Track) in Queue - as first option of the queue menu. If queue is empty it becomes the first track and it becomes an "edited queue" in their terminology - meaning play from here is disabled. If there are tracks in the queue already it adds to the end and plays."

That option in the ... menu

Then as you said - if queue is edited if you click on song it will say "Queue is in use" - I think much better then saying edited non-queue users would be confused with that. Just say Queue is in use and then give the regular queue options and add the last option as "Delete Queue and Play from Here"

Done - everybody happy! Just do it Sonos!

Play from here people don't go in queue menu so all the queue stuff never shows up for them. Queue people easy way to play a song and enable it and then once enabled work like it did in the past (with added option to delete queue and Play from Here on menu).
Userlevel 2
The only changes are when playing songs. Picking a song now plays from that point forward in album or playlist. Queue functions are now a ... menu on right of song. Prior to this update all queue functions appeared when clicking on song.

PC will not have universal search until point it is completely overhauled. And I do. It believe they have plan for an overhaul there (actually many have asked for it not to. E modernized).

Chris I have confirmed I have the Beta running on my PC but when I search for a song and go to play it I do not see the "..." option. I have a drop-down arrow and a check box. The drop-down does show more options so maybe that is my "..."?

I just found the updated "rooms" options by accident. The descriptions of these changes are poorly worded in the press release. These are new options. Sonos should show us how to correctly access them and not just start clicking on everything to see what happens. I didnt see the option they describe where I can move the music from one room to the other (beyond the way its always been done. I add the one room then remove the other if needed).
Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I just found the updated "rooms" options by accident. The descriptions of these changes are poorly worded in the press release. These are new options. Sonos should show us how to correctly access them and not just start clicking on everything to see what happens. I didnt see the option they describe where I can move the music from one room to the other (beyond the way its always been done. I add the one room then remove the other if needed).

The room changes are quite subtle and only apply when different music is playing in both rooms and you now get a prompt which music to carry to the group

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes the ... on desktop is the drop down menu

They did put some consideration in to when you group and ungroup rooms making sure it prompts you to make sure it does what you want. Subtle but makes less likely for it to make a mistake.
Badge
For me the biggest drawbacks to beta 6.4 that I have found so far are that it is best visualised in portrait mode - this works ok - but in landscape mode, which is how I use the controller app on my 7" tablet in its leather stand - the number of items displayed within the queue is now very small; also when selecting tracks from an album, the album art sits above the listing and not to the left as before; reducing the number of tracks visible without scrolling.
But the biggest issue for me is when searching "Albums" from Music Library - the album art has a "play album now" icon; and if you hit this by mistake when trying to 'open' an album track listing you loose your entire queue as the album starts to play - and all I wanted was to select a single track to add to my existing queue - arghh !
Yes, I like the idea of a personal customisation button; old style queue building, or quick start feature. What's wrong with a choice?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Nice input Mark

I haven't tested on my tablet but definitely seems to be worse. It is still beta so maybe there are a few tweeks they haven't finished yet. Good to point out. Please send as Beta feedback as I do not believe the beta guys monitor this board (I know Ryan tries to keep them up to date though).

I too have had many a problem with hitting the Play buttons on the album art - I don't like them as they are too easy to mistakenly hit when you are searching for songs.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Nice input Mark

I haven't tested on my tablet but definitely seems to be worse. It is still beta so maybe there are a few tweeks they haven't finished yet. Good to point out. Please send as Beta feedback as I do not believe the beta guys monitor this board (I know Ryan tries to keep them up to date though).

I too have had many a problem with hitting the Play buttons on the album art - I don't like them as they are too easy to mistakenly hit when you are searching for songs.

Agreed, good feedback and as Chris suggested, please make sure you put in the beta feedback through the form. It's best to have it all come in the same way, though I do talk to the team too.

Thanks for sharing everyone, and please keep that feedback coming in.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Should I start throwing in my plugs for a party mode too 🙂 So that we can disable ability to delete the queue except from originating controller!
If I select a single track it's because I want to listen to that track and nothing else. If I wanted to listen to the whole album I'd have added the whole damn album, that's logical, anyone who can't get their head around that shouldn't be using expensive devices like this. I don't want Sonos to second guess what I want, I want it to do exactly what I damn well told it to do, which is what it has always done. Until now.

I largely agree with this. The most silly thing is that if I explicitly check multiple tracks using the PC controller the "Play" menu item becomes "Play Selected", but if I explicitly check a single track, it remains as "Play" and it queues the whole damn album, playing everything from the checked track forwards.

It is annoying enough behaviour if I trigger "Play" without explicitly checking a track, but if I do check a track why can't they deduce that is just this track that I am wanting?

I was one whom was requesting Play From Here functionality, but that was so I could queue whole albums using a DLNA server, where you were limited to queuing single tracks only.

The cruel thing is now we now effectively have Play From Here, but at the same time they have completely broken their tiny amount of support for DLNA controllers. I can no longer queue even single tracks from my (MediaMonkey) DLNA server 😞

How is it intuitive that if I add a single track to an empty queue, and then add another, the queue is protected (aka "edited"), but if I add a whole album, or a bunch of tracks via the new Play behaviour, to an empty queue, the queue is not protected?
That's because you have not actually changed what was originally in the queue, you only have to alter the sort order by moving/removing/adding one track and the queue is no longer the original one. It therefore sees the queue as being personal to the end-user and so invites it to be saved before replacing it with another selected playlist.

The one cardinal sin IMO is to disrupt what I am listening too. The changes being beta tested don't do enough to avoid this.

I listen to whole albums. When I start the day the queue is empty. I queue an album, and while it is playing I usually browse around for something else to play. Since I have queued just the one item at this point, the queue is unprotected (aka unedited). It is not too hard to interrupt the currently playing track; all you have to do is an old-person stumble-tap while trying to scroll through some other album using a mobile device, or bounce your mouse click if using the PC controller.

The track is rudely interrupted, the album is rudely interrupted. Worse it has been wiped from the queue, so it cannot easily be restarted without a lot of screwing around.

I think that this sucks. If I queue an album I think that they should protect the queue. The workaround is to be very careful early in the morning, or to queue an album, and then re-add one of its tracks so that the queue is protected.

I wish Sonos would just have given us a toggle switch to turn play from here on and off... don't know why they dislike customization so much

Exactly!
Userlevel 2
Badge
Downloaded beta and restartet app. Behaves like always? Still no direct play when chosing song and still no continuing album when song is over. I must be missing something? Also: it says 6.3.2 and advanced settings are gone from the settings menu...?
Downloaded beta and restartet app. Behaves like always? Still no direct play when chosing song and still no continuing album when song is over. I must be missing something? Also: it says 6.3.2 and advanced settings are gone from the settings menu...?
What platform did you download to? Did you run the app that you downloaded?
Userlevel 2
Badge
Just chose beta in the settings on my Sonos iPad app and thereafter went to online updates - and followed instructions when 'new firmware' was detected - believed this to be the beta? And so my system updated - but clearly not to the beta...? It works like always but it's not the beta and advanced settings are gone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Just chose beta in the settings on my Sonos iPad app and thereafter went to online updates - and followed instructions when 'new firmware' was detected - believed this to be the beta? And so my system updated - but clearly not to the beta...? It works like always but it's not the beta and advanced settings are gone.

beta is not available for IOS - only android on phone/tablet.

Unless you have any android devices (or use PC/mac), I suggest to remove yourself from the public beta and await the official release.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Sorry!! I'll find my old android phone right now!
Does anybody but me see bad ramifications for this change at a party? There is a longtime complaint about unaquainted users being able to Play Now interrupting a queue of guest requested tunes at a party, whether via their own phones or a communal controller. Now, not only is the default Play Now, the queue of other guest's requests gets lost by default, and the rest of an album gets played, which is not useful in an "each guest picks a track" type situation.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I absolutely see issue. Sonos doesn appear willing to do anything to protect queue from inexperienced users.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Does anybody but me see bad ramifications for this change at a party? There is a longtime complaint about unaquainted users being able to Play Now interrupting a queue of guest requested tunes at a party, whether via their own phones or a communal controller. Now, not only is the default Play Now, the queue of other guest's requests gets lost by default, and the rest of an album gets played, which is not useful in an "each guest picks a track" type situation.

you're right and Id not really considered this until now. When we have guests round we often do a bit of 'pass the tablet' and people add their choice of tracks to the queue then pass to the next person. In future this is much more prone to wiping out the queue than occurs now and I'd rather not have to conduct a sonos 'training session' before each party gets started ;-)

Ive given my suggestions already at the top of the page
Userlevel 4
Badge +14
This discussion sounds like one I had as IT guy at an old job. People were using the trashcan for archiving emails, because it was easier to just hit delete than to "move it to a folder". When we switched over to server hosted email (IMAP) to have better backups for peoples email, the default configuration was to delete anything older than 30 days permanently from the trashcan. Chaos ensued.

Using the current queue as some sort of storage, sounds lika a misuse to me. What you are actually doing is populating a playlist, but want to treat that playlist to also be the source of playback (this is similar to how the Spotify app works). I don't have the controller app available right now, but if I recall, there are still actions for "add to playlist" etc that would sort of resolve some of the user flows people are describing here. Like:

Listen to a track, see if you like it. If you like it, add to playlist. Continue on and on and on, finally, start playing that playlist. Using the current queue for this seems like an anti-pattern to me. Personally I rarely add randomly to my current queue since it tends to be cluttered, and usually always replace it (unless I add multiple albums or similar).

Anyway, just wanted to give a different perspective. I welcome the change, albeit it will have some initial quirks one needs to adjust for, I think the old way was severely crippled as a user experience.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
jishi - I, and probably many others, build a queue on the fly according to my mood and what Im doing. I dont necessarily want to save and recall this specific list of tracks at a later time as a playlist or Id end up with hundreds of random playlists with random names - I just see where the mood takes me and those who Im with. The new changes greatly increase the risk of accidentally overwriting a queue which could be very annoying, regardless how 'transient' it may be.

I welcome the changes sonos are trying to introduce but I think there are some loose ends that need to be tied up such as improved protection of (or the optional setting to better protect) the queue plus some more options on populating the queue which appear to have gone missing during the transition from 6.3 to 6.4

Note that saving a queue/building as a playlist within sonos is also dependent on which music service you subscribe to. For example this is not possible when using Apple Music with Sonos but it is possible with Spotify. Sonos playlists are, by their nature, confined within sonos so not really useful if you use a music service and want to access the same playlists outside of sonos. Also, Sonos playlists cannot be backed up or exported so I dont really trust them anyway !
That may be jishi, except the trashcan was never to be used for storage, yet a queue was (and is) specifically meant to "queue" a bunch of songs to be played in the future. Hence the name "queue". I can think of no better feature of the queue than as jukebox type "pick a song to be played later" usage during a party. The new release not only makes this more difficult, it is now more likely that a user will queue an album of songs and wipeout everyone else's selections rather than select a single song to play later. Whether you see the queue this way or not, many do, and this release trashes this user experience.
In our house, three of us often take it in turns to add music to the queue from our various idevices while we cook dinner and have a wine. I hope the changes won't increase the chances of queue violations!
Badge
I updated to the latest beta using a Mac. Now I can't access any of my Sonos products: 3 x Play5 gen 1s, 2 x Play3s. I have tried everything to troubleshoot - reinstalling each and all elements - but it has killed the whole thing dead, none of the hardware is now recognisable, individually or using bridge. Not wifi/router issue either. How can I reinstall the previous update and hopefully use some of my music system again? 😞
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
I updated to the latest beta using a Mac. Now I can't access any of my Sonos products: 3 x Play5 gen 1s, 2 x Play3s. I have tried everything to troubleshoot - reinstalling each and all elements - but it has killed the whole thing dead, none of the hardware is now recognisable, individually or using bridge. Not wifi/router issue either. How can I reinstall the previous update and hopefully use some of my music system again? :(
Hi JPN, sorry to hear about that. Does any of the controllers see your Sonos devices currently? If not, try restarting your entire network, starting with your router, then your (wired) and wireless Sonos devices and controllers.

I am personally annoyed about this new "feature" as it offers my use case nothing, and it removes some functionality which I found useful. However to your point, while the change has the negatives in a party situation which you describe, it is also contains a couple of small improvements doesn't it ? And with a small adjustment could be an all round plus.

Previously the top item in the drop-down play menu was "Play Now", and it used to add to the back of the queue, stop whatever was playing, jump over any other queued items, and start playing the new last item. Correct? ... It used to do this without any confirmation warning message. ... So this was already a party mood killer.

Now we have we have a (hair triggered) action, which destroys the queue, but at least it gives prior warning, and requires confirmation, once the queue has been protected. So this is some small compensation.

If they added a configuration setting to toggle between "add to queue (start playing if idle)", and "destroy\replace queue and start playing", it would be better all round. And|or they could add a third button to the warning|confirmation message which would take the former action {Edit}, And, as you point out, they also need a configuration option to meet the "queue a single track" requirement for a party situation.

The other slight advantage in a party situation is that the old "Play Now" menu item on a mobile controller used to switch the user out of the browsing display, and jump into the room|queue display ... which must have been frustrating and confusing for people new to Sonos, because finding your way back to browsing wasn't immediately straight forward. ... The new behaviour is to stay in browsing mode, which is be better .... if only they weren't destroying the un-played items already queued.