Sonos Version 6.4 Now in Public Beta

Userlevel 7
Badge +25
  • Community Manager
  • 11182 replies
Today we’re starting a new Sonos public beta and many of you will be getting a look at what’s coming next or reading about it. We’ve made a change that’s going to help you listen to more music in your home, but it’s a change nonetheless and it might take a little getting used to.

First, the beta details. Sign up at beta.sonos.com. As usual, it’s PC, Mac and Android - no iOS. It’s OK to talk publicly about this beta (version 6.4) only, everything else is still under wraps.

Now the biggest change (and what we wanted to share with you):

Tap any song once and it starts playing. Start with any song from an album or playlist and Sonos will continue to play whatever comes next, replacing your queue automatically. Listen to the whole playlist by tapping ‘Play All,’ or hit ‘Shuffle’ and mix it up.

You can still build your own track order and queues by tapping *** next to any song. Choose ‘Play Next’ or ‘Play Later.’ and build a playlist. Once you’ve changed what’s in a queue, Sonos will ask you before wiping out your hard work. If you make a queue you like, save it and it will be faster than ever to jump back in later.

Before now, this part of Sonos hadn’t changed in about ten years. But we’ve heard from many people who want a faster, easier experience that keeps music playing effortlessly throughout their homes. We spent months researching, observing how people use Sonos, and trying different options.

We’ve also been watching a growing trend. Streaming services like Apple Music, Spotify, and Google Play make it easy to get music playing with a tap and keep it going. Great music curation + streaming means it only takes a few seconds to find a playlist you’ll love and play it on your phone, why not at home? We wanted the Sonos experience to be similar. Fewer taps, more music.

It was important that we didn’t remove anything, so everything you could do before you can still do now. It’s just a little different, and we know that takes time to get used to. If you’re interested, join the public beta at beta.sonos.com and give it a spin.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

290 replies

Badge
I just downloaded the new beta download, lost my room settings and nothing the beta download was suppose to do works. Was wondering what my next step is
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
The only thing I'm missing is the ability to add one song to the end of the queue and play it immediately in one step. I don't mind if it's buried under the ... menu, but this is one function that I used regularly and will miss. Sometimes while I'm building a queue, I want to listen to a song as I add it. That function definitely helped me make sure that the song I'm adding is the one I want, especially in cases where there might be multiple versions of a song available.

Please bring back this functionality!!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
I just downloaded the new beta download, lost my room settings and nothing the beta download was suppose to do works. Was wondering what my next step is

Are you using an iOS device? There isn't a version of the Sonos beta controller for iOS devices. The new options and all your settings are available on Android, Mac, and Windows PCs.
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
The only thing I'm missing is the ability to add one song to the end of the queue and play it immediately in one step. I don't mind if it's buried under the ... menu, but this is one function that I used regularly and will miss. Sometimes while I'm building a queue, I want to listen to a song as I add it. That function definitely helped me make sure that the song I'm adding is the one I want, especially in cases where there might be multiple versions of a song available.

Please bring back this functionality!!!

Thanks for the feedback Mike, we'll pass it on for you.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Mike - I raised this omission (twice) during the beta that there is no 'Play now but do not not replace the queue' option when adding a track via an album or playlist. Bizarrely it does exactly that when adding a track via search
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
Mike - I raised this omission (twice) during the beta that there is no 'Play now but do not not replace the queue' option when adding a track via an album or playlist. Bizarrely it does exactly that when adding a track via search

Thanks Nick! The team's very interested in feedback here as we've made some big changes to how music is played.
I third the Play Now function. No reason queue users should lose functionality.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Just for clarification - this is only when you have edited the queue and are wanting to play a track now from an album/playlist using the three dots
Wait, you mean you've gone the iTunes "play this song and then play a load of stuff I didn't ask for?" route? Please say you didn't.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Lhc - Now you have the choice of both options
But it's not a choice, it defaults to the iTunes method and attempts to keep the queue hidden. A choice would be to default to one or the other. I personally hate it.

Are you using an iOS device? There isn't a version of the Sonos beta controller for iOS devices. The new options and all your settings are available on Android, Mac, and Windows PCs.

So if you, because of pure excitement, installed the beta and lost the room settings, your just out of luck?? I only have iOS products. I'm not about to start up my MacBook every time I want to change something in settings, which happens quite often! What to do then? And please fix the general dropout problem with the new Play 5 gen 2.

You can 'play next' or simply 'add to end of queue' using a long press on a track or by selecting the elipsis (...) and then go to queue itself and play the track without replacing the queue, but these things are not a single step as Mike rightly says. However there are lots of other benefits in the beta. I try to look for a glass that is 'half full', rather than it being 'half empty'.

I do like the new 'play all' and new 'shuffle all' features in each playlist and album etc.

The new software also warns me with a dialog box to either cancel or save my own edited room/speaker queue, before overwriting it with a new playlist. How good is that?

Admittedly it does not work anything like Apple Music or iTunes, but I can see plenty of benefits.

I appreciate this is beta software, so I guess we, the users, should be highlighting the things we do, or don't like, so that the Sonos developers can perhaps gauge the area of 'common ground' and release a final version of the controller software that pleases the majority. I think we should not just mention the things we don't like, but also comment on any benefits that we may see in the software.
But it's not a choice, it defaults to the iTunes method and attempts to keep the queue hidden. A choice would be to default to one or the other. I personally hate it.

Ugh, great, that's ten years down the drain then.

So if you, because of pure excitement, installed the beta and lost the room settings, your just out of luck?? I only have iOS products. I'm not about to start up my MacBook every time I want to change something in settings, which happens quite often! What to do then?

Remove yourself from the beta program (can't believe we're back to this again so soon...), update the app and it will go back to the current release version.

And please fix the general dropout problem with the new Play 5 gen 2.

There isn't a "general dropout problem" with the new play:5, you have network issues, sort those out.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Kg - I totally agree that there are many benefits. I'm just pointing out that one function is currently missing and shouldn't be hard to add, especially considering in the space of a few hours 3 (out of probably not many) have already raised it.

Jgatie & LHC - Aside from that I struggle to see how the new version is any harder to operate than the old one yet comes with the added advantages of the new features - can you elaborate ?
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Still no Audbile support? How disappointing.

So if you, because of pure excitement, installed the beta and lost the room settings, your just out of luck?? I only have iOS products. I'm not about to start up my MacBook every time I want to change something in settings, which happens quite often! What to do then?

Remove yourself from the beta program (can't believe we're back to this again so soon...), update the app and it will go back to the current release version.

There isn't a "general dropout problem" with the new play:5, you have network issues, sort those out.

Haha, can't believe you don't know about the dropout issue that is actually there mate. Sonos admits this, soooo!! That's why I'm awaiting in excitement, cause it's annoying as heck when watching movies and listening to music 😉 My network connection is btw most excellent... unfortunately, I can't find the option to remove myself from the beta program. At least not on my MBP 😞

Haha, can't believe you don't know about the dropout issue that is actually there mate. Sonos admits this, soooo!! That's why I'm awaiting in excitement, cause it's annoying as heck when watching movies and listening to music 😉 My network connection is btw most excellent... unfortunately, I can't find the option to remove myself from the beta program. At least not on my MBP :(

Got it 😉
Kg - I totally agree that there are many benefits. I'm just pointing out that one function is currently missing and shouldn't be hard to add, especially considering in the space of a few hours 3 (out of probably not many) have already raised it.

That's fair enough nicka99, my comments were not really aimed at any individual, I was just suggesting that all users could take a more balanced and fair approach and not predominantly state the things they don't like, but to also maybe highlight the things they do like in the new beta, so that the Sonos developers could get a greater understanding of what the majority of end-users really want.

I think it must help them, if we mention the good things and not just focus entirely on the negative aspects. I can see some benefits already in the new beta as I have mentioned in my post above, but I also can see Mike's point of view about no longer being able to play a single track easily, in one step.
Userlevel 7
Badge +25

Haha, can't believe you don't know about the dropout issue that is actually there mate. Sonos admits this, soooo!! That's why I'm awaiting in excitement, cause it's annoying as heck when watching movies and listening to music 😉 My network connection is btw most excellent... unfortunately, I can't find the option to remove myself from the beta program. At least not on my MBP :(

There was a playback issue with new PLAY:5s as surrounds for the PLAYBAR in some situations which should now be resolved with this beta version. You'll have to decide if you want to join it considering the limited settings iOS devices will have on the build. Otherwise, when the software goes to final release you'll be all set. If you have a support incident with our team they should be notifying you as well about the update.
Haha, can't believe you don't know about the dropout issue that is actually there mate. Sonos admits this, soooo!! That's why I'm awaiting in excitement, cause it's annoying as heck when watching movies and listening to music 😉 My network connection is btw most excellent.

AmigosDK,

I haven't seen anywhere that Sonos admits any dropout issue with the Play-5 speaker. You mention it like it is a very common problem, but it's not something I have encountered with my own equipment.

I too, watch movies regularly via Netflix etc. and I also listen to streaming music via Apple Music and Google Play subscriptions all the time (well, most days) aswell as playing songs stored on my local NAS and I cannot recall a Sonos wireless speaker ever dropping out like you describe here. It sounds like you must have a local fault somewhere?

Can you kindly point to where Sonos admits this is a problem?
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
@Ken Looks like we both posted at the same time and mine went in just before yours. There isn't a widespread issue, and it has very specific circumstances that need to be met. That said it is resolved with this update.
Userlevel 3
Badge +7
I haven't tried the beta yet, but I really think there should be a classic mode setting for people who don't like the iTunes style playback.
@Ken Looks like we both posted at the same time and mine went in just before yours. There isn't a widespread issue, and it has very specific circumstances that need to be met. That said it is resolved with this update.

Thanks Ryan, I was just thinking that I don't see any type of dropout issues with my Sonos speakers, so was just concerned that AmigosDK was perhaps having some kind of local 'regular' issue, (maybe wireless interference etc.).

He seemed to describe things as though they were quite a common fault with the Play-5 and he believed users were suffering regular dropouts. I didn't think that was the case. It's certainly not evident on the forum and I thought that he might need to perhaps submit a diagnostic and seek some help from sonos support.

I didn't realise it was a 'surround combination' issue with a Playbar. Anyhow I guess his own issues will get fixed soon with this update.

At least this has perhaps clarified his earlier remarks.