Sonos version 6.3 now available - update today

Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Hi Everyone,

I’m excited to tell you that Sonos version 6.3 is being released today, June 21st. Open your Sonos Controller app and select Update Now. Once you’ve updated your system, make sure to also update all your apps for iOS and Android via the App Store, Google Play, or Amazon App Store.

There’s a lot that’s new in version 6.3, especially for the Sonos Controller on iOS. The Sonos Controller on iOS now supports Lock Screen Controls on the iPhone and iPad, as well as Multitasking (Slide Over and Split View) for the iPad, and 3D Touch for the iPhone 6S and iPhone 6S Plus featuring Peek and Pop.

If you use Rhapsody or Napster, you’ll notice a higher streaming bitrate, as well as a refreshed UI. As you may have heard, later this year Rhapsody will become Napster everywhere in the world (we’ll have more information on that in the future).

If you regularly listen to the BBC via TuneIn, you’ll be happy to know that Listen Again content is once more available on Sonos.

There's been several changes made to the series of ‘System Not Found’ screens you'd see if your Controller were unable to connect to the system, and we’ve also streamlined the TruePlay setup process. You’ll also find a new Help menu option in the app.

An important note for anyone using a device with iOS 6: we're ending support for iOS 6 in this version. If you’re using a device on iOS 6 you’ll have limited functionality and will not see an update available in the App Store. We recommend updating to iOS 7 as soon as possible.

Lastly, on behalf of everyone here at Sonos, I’d like to thank all our beta testers for your hard work and diligence testing this version prior to today. If you have any questions or comments on the new version, please let us know in a response here.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

134 replies

The iOS app icon now has rc written on it, is this for "release candidate" ?

Yes, that is what it is for. Sonos is aware of it and it will be fixed shortly. In the meantime, it will not affect the app at all.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
So is this release ok for my old iOS6 ipod touches that cannot be upgraded? will they still work as before even tho they "will not see an update available in the App Store".
Can they work on an earlier release of sonos compared to everything else updated to 6.3?......
This sonos warning is a bit vague:-
"A Final Note of Warning

Running iOS 6 or earlier? Your iPhone or iPad will find Sonos 6.3 too hot too handle. This might be a good time to upgrade your iOS device before attempting to install this update."

To HOT to handle?
This MIGHT be a good time?

what if you can't upgrade iOS above 6? more factual statement, less humour please.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
So is this release ok for my old iOS6 ipod touches that cannot be upgraded? will they still work as before even tho they "will not see an update available in the App Store".
Can they work on an earlier release of sonos compared to everything else updated to 6.3?......
This sonos warning is a bit vague:-
"A Final Note of Warning

Running iOS 6 or earlier? Your iPhone or iPad will find Sonos 6.3 too hot too handle. This might be a good time to upgrade your iOS device before attempting to install this update."

To HOT to handle?
This MIGHT be a good time?

what if you can't upgrade iOS above 6? more factual statement, less humour please.

Max P's post above says "If you’re using a device on iOS 6 you’ll have limited functionality ". Personally I think that's pretty clear. If you update your system then your iOS 6 controller WILL have limited functionality.

Either don't update your Sonos components, update your iOS or live with the reduced iPod touch functionality.

I'm assuming the comments you posted are from an e-mail?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Great upgrade, the iOS lockscreen controls are great an love the large Album art. A bit more separation between the play controls and Volume controls would be good, or better still stick the volume slider under the album art?

Keep the updates coming 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
My comments are from the sonos release notes.

I haven't done an upgrade before, and don't want to brick my iOS6 ipod touches, that currently have limited functionality anyway, but are only used as sonos controllers.
So if I upgrade all my other sonos controllers to 6.3, and leave the iOS6 ipod touches alone, they will continue to work as before?

How about adding a table in the release notes showing iOS/android functionality after upgrade?
I love the new version! But I can't control the volume in control center, only on the lock screen. This seems like a missed opportunity ☹️
I love the new version! But I can't control the volume in control center, only on the lock screen. This seems like a missed opportunity ☹️

Not really, as there are several apps in the Apple Store that do that already, unless you want to see those developers put out of business? I think Sonos have deliberately not encroached on their area of work.
Also nice finally to be able to use Apple Watch trough the now playing screen
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I see why the volume is above the album art as otherwise it would get obscured by notifications. A bit more separation would still be good though.

Particularly enjoying being able to adjust the volume via the iphone volume controls even when lockscreen is off, very cool.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
My comments are from the sonos release notes.

I haven't done an upgrade before, and don't want to brick my iOS6 ipod touches, that currently have limited functionality anyway, but are only used as sonos controllers.
So if I upgrade all my other sonos controllers to 6.3, and leave the iOS6 ipod touches alone, they will continue to work as before?

How about adding a table in the release notes showing iOS/android functionality after upgrade?

The iOS 6 devices will continue to be in limited functionality in this release. They won't get all the features but will still be able to control playback for the time being.

It'd be good to see if your iOS devices are able to update. If you take a look here you'll see an updated list of system requirements, iOS 6 is still listed under Partially Supported. It also includes a table with what features are available. This update will be fine for your devices.

Enjoy!
Nice update. I truly enjoy the new power of controlling my Sonos from my watch! A silly little thing, but already used twice this morning while cooking breakfast.
This was a buggy update. The iOS app pretends to be streaming audio in order to keep itself awake when it is not supposed to be. This does not go very well with my made for iPhone hearing aids, as they enter streaming mode because they think that sound is coming out of the iPhone. The battery life is horrible as well.

Please remove the "silent audio" from the app! "Silent audio" is not a good way to keep apps running in the background.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Nice update. I truly enjoy the new power of controlling my Sonos from my watch! A silly little thing, but already used twice this morning while cooking breakfast.

Great! Just a note, we don't officially support the Apple Watch as a controller, it's just using the new lock screen commands which were added. It should work fine though, just a happy coincidence. :)

Great upgrade, the iOS lockscreen controls are great an love the large Album art. A bit more separation between the play controls and Volume controls would be good, or better still stick the volume slider under the album art?

Keep the updates coming :)

We know the controls are a bit close, this is the layout for iOS lock screen controls for any media app playing on iOS devices. We’ll keep an eye on the design to see if anything can be adjusted in the future.

Oh, and I just wanted to confirm this from jgatie:

Yes, that is what it is for. Sonos is aware of it and it will be fixed shortly. In the meantime, it will not affect the app at all.

He is correct. The release candidate somehow had the wrong icon when it went out. Nothing to worry about, it should be fixed soon.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
This was a buggy update. The iOS app pretends to be streaming audio in order to keep itself awake when it is not supposed to be. This does not go very well with my made for iPhone hearing aids, as they enter streaming mode because they think that sound is coming out of the iPhone. The battery life is horrible as well.

Please remove the "silent audio" from the app! "Silent audio" is not a good way to keep apps running in the background.

The silent audio track was necessary for making the lock screen controls work, it's a long story. If you fully close the Sonos app or turn off lock screen controls the silent audio track won't be playing.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Thanks Ryan.
I find that table very reassuring, although it was last updated 5/9/16.
Could it be added or linked from the release notes page, and updated to confirm 6.3?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks Ryan.
I find that table very reassuring, although it was last updated 5/9/16.
Could it be added or linked from the release notes page, and updated to confirm 6.3?

Good question, I'll send it over to the team, they might want to tweak things. We also emailed just about everyone who had a device on iOS 6 to let them know it'd be in limited functionality mode.
Hallo Ryan. I Can pause/play in control center but I can't control the volume, is this by design?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hallo Ryan. I Can pause/play in control center but I can't control the volume, is this by design?

When the Sonos app is up on the screen, you can adjust the volume from the Control Center, but when the app is minimized it isn't able to take priority of the volume slider there.
Are there separate release notes for Android? I see a lot of iOS updates on the release notes pages but nothing for Android; I am suspecting I am just missing a link to the android updates.
Are there separate release notes for Android? I see a lot of iOS updates on the release notes pages but nothing for Android; I am suspecting I am just missing a link to the android updates.

The lock screen stuff released to iOS has been on Android since way back in version 5.2. This is a catch up release for iOS.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26

The lock screen stuff released to iOS has been on Android since way back in version 5.2. This is a catch up release for iOS.

The full release notes are here. All systems got some changes, such as support for HLS recorded content.

I have just updated to 6.3 and now BBC streaming doesn't work . Other radio stations okay. ??

There shouldn't be any trouble with BBC stations. I'm going to separate out your comment into a new post so we can look into this without spamming everyone.
Userlevel 4
Badge +8
Noticed a tiny bug in the lock screen on iOS - both iPhone 6 and iPad Air 2. Toggling the pause/play icon causes the volume level to skip by a small amount. Anyone else?
Hi Ryan,
Lock screen control has been turned off in Settings, but there is still silent audio in the Sonos app. It starts "playing" as soon as I open the app. Do you have any other suggestions for what I can do to fix this?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Hi Ryan,
Lock screen control has been turned off in Settings, but there is still silent audio in the Sonos app. It starts "playing" as soon as I open the app. Do you have any other suggestions for what I can do to fix this?

You may need to force close the Sonos app and restart for the change to take effect