Sonos Version 6.3 Now Available for Testing

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
  • Community Manager
  • 12104 replies
Exciting news everyone, the next version of the Sonos software is going into public beta. If you’d like to test it out, Sonos version 6.3 is now available for Android devices, Mac and Windows PCs.

This version has added a feature many of you have been waiting for, support for HLS recorded streams. Which means you’ll now be able to find the recorded radio shows for many of your favorite stations, including BBC shows. They’ll automatically be included within TuneIn on Sonos, where you can now search for your favorite stations and play historic or recorded shows that are in the HLS format. Previously we only had support for the HLS direct streams, it’s great to see this feature completed.

There are also changes and improvements to the Napster and Rhapsody services. Including an updated digital appearance, better quality audio streams, now streaming 320kbps aac, and new content as well, such as Listening History and Sonos Spotlight.

There are now some updated messaging screens for controllers that can’t connect to their systems which hopefully you’ll never have to see. A personal favorite addition of mine is the option for independent surround speaker volume settings for music and TV playback for home theater setups. You can now use your controller to choose a volume for the rears to be at when you’re playing music and a different one for them to be at when playing TV.

Another big feature to mention is that the software will now display desktop notifications for Mac controllers running Mac OS X 10.9 and above. When the Sonos application is open, but not active on screen, a notification can be generated when a new song begins playing to show the track information.

Important note: There is no public beta for iOS in this beta. If you join the public beta and have an iOS controller on your system, that controller will be in a limited functionality mode. In this mode, the iOS device will still be able to control your system but will be unable to adjust almost all settings and some features will not display. When the full version of the software is released there will be an iOS version.

To join the beta, you can go to your account page on Sonos.com and sign up for Sonos Public Beta, click here. You’ll be able to update your system and download the controllers for the beta software.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

56 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
I updated to this last night. Where's the "add music service" button gone? I can't find it anymore on my iOS devices.
Excellent that we now have access to the BBC HLS recording on the BETA 6.3 but gutted to find that the Tunein content is so limited - every show I play again appears not to have any historic streams - is this due to some licensing issue? I suppose the next forum will have to be the Tunein one.
I updated to this last night. Where's the "add music service" button gone? I can't find it anymore on my iOS devices.
(Sigh)
Important note: There is no public beta for iOS in this beta. If you join the public beta and have an iOS controller on your system, that controller will be in a limited functionality mode. In this mode, the iOS device will still be able to control your system but will be unable to adjust almost all settings and some features will not display. When the full version of the software is released there will be an iOS version.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Please READ Ryan S post above CAEREFULLY.

If you can't be bothered, here is the relevant section:-

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Excellent that we now have access to the BBC HLS recording on the BETA 6.3 but gutted to find that the Tunein content is so limited - every show I play again appears not to have any historic streams - is this due to some licensing issue? I suppose the next forum will have to be the Tunein one.

No. It's a problem with the shows not appearing in TuneIn. Sonos have made BBC/TuneIn aware.

You can verify by going to TuneIn.com

And don't forget this is BETA - Ie it isn't a full public release so EXPECT some bugs. Don't complain about them - the Quid Pro Quo for you getting advance sight of new things is that you REPORT issues when you find them via the app so the development team can follow up.

No. It's a problem with the shows not appearing in TuneIn. Sonos have made BBC/TuneIn aware.

I thought that was what I did - on a PC though Chrome, http://tunein.com/

I looked for Steve Lamacq, Nick Grimshaw, Chris Evens, - none had any history
The only one I found that podcasts was Scott Mills but no full programs
Ironically the only one I could find was the ******y Archers which delighted wife!
If Im looking in the wrong place then please let me know - as I was gutted this morning when I went testing 6.3
Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Ironically the only one I could find was the ******y Archers which delighted wife!
If Im looking in the wrong place then please let me know - as I was gutted this morning when I went testing 6.3

I think you misunderstood. Whilst Sonos is now able to play the BBC HLS podcasts (let's call them that) the Tunein plug-in to Sonos is not returning full or any results (as you've found) - This is also happening if you go direct via a browser to TuneIn.com so it is NOT a Sonos issue.

As I said Sonos have made the relevant stakeholders aware.

Personally I think Sonos have dropped the ball here and should have waited until the BBC podcast search returned correct results but that's their decision!

BTW - The other half is NOT going to be happy when she finds that The Archers results are by no means complete either! But the current story line is rather exciting don't you think?!

I think you misunderstood. Whilst Sonos is now able to play the BBC HLS podcasts (let's call them that) the Tunein plug-in to Sonos is not returning full or any results (as you've found) - This is also happening if you go direct via a browser to TuneIn.com so it is NOT a Sonos issue.

Personally I think Sonos have dropped the ball here and should have waited until the BBC podcast search returned correct results but that's their decision!

BTW - The other half is NOT going to be happy when she finds that The Archers results are by no means complete either! But the current story line is rather exciting don't you think?!
Userlevel 2
Badge
Pointless (and usual) angry forum replies aside... I read Ryan's post carefully, but its a pretty big feature to lose. Essentially, until this comes out of BETA testing those in the programme that use iOS can't add to their services? How long are we looking at? And why?

I fully understand that this is NOT a SONOS issue. So it appears that issue is fully a Tunein issue and the content is not even on their site. I suppose that is why we are doing the BETA testing.

Absolutely fantastic that the mechanism is now in place.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Pointless (and usual) angry forum replies aside... I read Ryan's post carefully, but its a pretty big feature to lose. Essentially, until this comes out of BETA testing those in the programme that use iOS can't add to their services? How long are we looking at? And why?

if these features are that valuable for you to have direct access to on IOS then I guess you have no choice but to remove yourself from the beta and go back to the stock version. if you have other devices (android, PC, mac) then you can adjust them from there and the result will be available on the IOS device. I dont add music services very often myself !
Pointless (and usual) angry forum replies aside... I read Ryan's post carefully
It didn't seem that way at all.

Essentially, until this comes out of BETA testing those in the programme that use iOS can't add to their services?

This FAQ explains the Limited Compatibility Mode on iOS Controllers. Any other controller can be used.

How long are we looking at?

Sonos doesn't pre-announce dates.

And why?

1/ Because it's in beta
2/ Because of Apple's requirements (see FAQ above)

If you don't like it, just leave the public beta.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Well I agree that Ryan's note was long(ish) but he did highlight in bold that IOS devices would have limited functionality. You can always remove yourself from the Beta Public, update and you'll be back to normal release. We can't say how long the Beta will be until it's released but we would not anticipate it being months. I would say that Public Beta will generally be addressing specific issues, in this case the BBC HLS listen again.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21

I agree. The only trouble is there aren't enough hours in the day to listen to all the amazing radio out there and that's just the BBC!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks for answering guys.

@fantasyman if you'd like to add a service you can use any other controller and it'll show up fine for the iOS controller. Otherwise, you could leave the beta temporarily to add it, then join the beta again.

Most of our public beta programs don't include iOS versions for a number of reasons, so this behavior is to be expected with our public betas.

We'll be announcing to everyone when the beta is over, but we haven't released the date it'll conclude yet.

I fully understand that this is NOT a SONOS issue. So it appears that issue is fully a Tunein issue and the content is not even on their site. I suppose that is why we are doing the BETA testing.

We're glad to have the HLS development done for this too, it'll be really useful for other implementations and services too. TuneIn catalogs a fair amount of the historical content, and if there's a station or show that you're really missing it'd be great to let them know. You can even send in beta feedback to us by taking a screenshot on your mobile device and we'll see about reaching out to them too.

Thanks for all the feedback everything and let me know if you have any further questions.
Even before the switch by BBC to HLS streams the TuneIn list of BBC content was rather less than incomplete. I doubt that anything much will change during the course of this BETA.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Even before the switch by BBC to HLS streams the TuneIn list of BBC content was rather less than incomplete. I doubt that anything much will change during the course of this BETA.
It all depends on what content the BBC allows to appear on TuneIn, and that might even vary from region to region.
Mike, I hadn't considered that possibility, but as I am in the UK with a Sonos system registered to a UK address I would expect a complete (pretty much) offering from the BBC. A proper integration of the BBC iPlayer into Sonos is what is really needed, but I don't think that there is any real chance of that happening, unfortunately.
Downloaded this version last night as I was not prompted that it would restrict my iOS device. Can I go back to a previous version ? And how?
Downloaded this version last night as I was not prompted that it would restrict my iOS device. Can I go back to a previous version ? And how?

Unsubscribe to the beta, then update your system.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Remove yourself from the Beta program in your profile
Another question that is a small digression: I don't want to be a part of the public beta and have so notified Sonos just now via My Account. I have not updated to 6.3 and will do so only when it is available as a general release.
Is there anything to be done to have the Update Now go away from the Controller?
Yes, perform the update. The update will put your system back to pre-beta.
But I haven't updated to 6.3! On about my Sonos, it shows I am on 6.2 and I want to stay there, with just the Update Now button to go away so someone doesn't get tempted to hit it.
PS: Problem solved, doing the check for updates thing made the button vanish.
Userlevel 2
Following update to 6.3 I now longer have any tracks scrobbling to Last.fm. No problems at all prior to update. Also removed Last.fm account and re-added via windows controller with no change.