Sonos Version 6.0 Available - Trueplay Tuning and more

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
  • Community Manager
  • 12081 replies
Sonos version 6.0 is now being fully released with a host of features we couldn’t be more excited to bring you. Trueplay tuning is available for PLAY:1, PLAY:3 and PLAY:5 units (gen1 and gen2), it's a huge step forward in audio for any room. Using an iOS device with the Sonos software you can take your players above and beyond basic equalization options to adjust your speakers to deliver great sound, even in acoustically complicated rooms.

Interested in some behind the scenes details on Trueplay? Check out our video here:

Sonos version 6.0 is adding support for HLS streaming for radio stations, this includes live streams for stations such as the BBC. Recorded content, also called “Listen Again” are not included in this update but we are working to incorporate them for 2016.

Like listening to the same song over and over again? Single track repeat is now available by selecting a song in the queue and clicking repeat twice (a third time turns it off).

This software also adds support for the new PLAY:5, which is available for preorder here and will be shipping on November 20th in the US (November 25th for the rest of the world). Find out more about the new PLAY:5 here. We know you’ll love it as soon as you have the chance to hear it.

Want to learn more about Trueplay and release 6.0? Find out more on our blog post here: http://blog.sonos.com/news/trueplay-is-here/

Note: As part of this update, the system requirements for iOS and Android are being updated to no longer include iOS 6. Sonos Controllers on these platforms will have limited functionality with Sonos systems running version 6.0. The Sonos controllers for Mac OS X 10.6.8 and Android 2.1 are not able to control the Sonos system in limited compatibility. For full details on Sonos system requirements please see here.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

100 replies

Can't wait to use this!
A question on Trueplay while I wait to lay my hands on a borrowed iPhone:

Once the tuning has been done, can the toggling back and forth to engage/disengage the tuning effects be done on an Android controller?
Once the tuning has been done, can the toggling back and forth to engage/disengage the tuning effects be done on an Android controller?
Yes, and the Desktop Controller too,
Ahh thanks. Presumably this option will appear only after the tuning is done, it isn't visible now in any way, not even in a greyed out mode.
I assume if you move the speaker to a new room then you need to run Trueplay again, but what if you move the speaker to a new location in the same room - will you need to run it again then?
Userlevel 5
Badge +4
Ahh thanks. Presumably this option will appear only after the tuning is done, it isn't visible now in any way, not even in a greyed out mode.
Yes, the option will only appear for each speaker once that speaker is tuned!
If the Player's not been tuned, the toggle won't appear.
I assume if you move the speaker to a new room then you need to run Trueplay again, but what if you move the speaker to a new location in the same room - will you need to run it again then?
Yes. It's a room correction algorithm, and speaker placement is an important part of that.
Userlevel 5
Badge +4
Exactly as ratty said, it would be optimal to re-tune any time you move your speaker as TruePlay tunes the speaker based on specifically where it is placed in the room, and accounts for the acoustics from that location. So from a different location the sound may reflect differently, even though in the same room. It would be best to re-tune. It only takes a few minutes.

Personally I move my SUB around to different rooms a lot so I have to re-tune it once I put it back in it's more frequent location. Not a problem. It always sounds great with every tuning.
Even if you change the configuration of the room or place something large next to the speaker without moving it, you will have to run it again for best results. In real life this will probably not matter a lot.
Thanks for the answers! So from what I gathered, even if I add or more furniture around it's best to run it again. Got it.

EDIT: didn't see the reply above before i posted. But thanks again.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Great answers everyone, all correct so far.
Tuning seems to be a bit of hit and miss. I have seen a review where the recommended method did not achieve much, and the reviewer then did the tuning by sitting in the listening position all the time the tuning was going on instead of walking and waving the device around. He wrote that he got better results that way.

The good thing is that it is quick and easy to do and it may be worthwhile playing with it a little.
Userlevel 5
Badge +4
Tuning seems to be a bit of hit and miss. I have seen a review where the recommended method did not achieve much, and the reviewer then did the tuning by sitting in the listening position all the time the tuning was going on instead of walking and waving the device around. He wrote that he got better results that way.

The good thing is that it is quick and easy to do and it may be worthwhile playing with it a little.

I have experimented with many, many different methods of tuning my rooms and I have noticed that for best results you should do as it says, walk around your room, but when you get back to spot you sit and listen you can circle around that area 2 or 3 times (waving the device in a circular motion around that area) and then continue back to walking around the room. That way when it analyses the environment it has an emphasis on where you sit and will account for that. This has given me by far the best results.
I have seen a review where the recommended method did not achieve much, and the reviewer then did the tuning by sitting in the listening position all the time the tuning was going on instead of walking and waving the device around.
I'm surprised it let him do that. If Trueplay doesn't detect sufficient movement around the room it aborts.
it has an emphasis on where you sit and will account for that. This has given me by far the best results.
Sure, but suppose my listening was always in only one place in the room, the stereo sweet spot. Should I then allow it more time in that place? Why not all the time there? Only trial and error can tell.
That is what I meant by hit or miss as in not being a precise science.

I'm surprised it let him do that. If Trueplay doesn't detect sufficient movement around the room it aborts.

Maybe he sat in one place and waved it around?! Anyway, the point is it may make sense to do it a couple of times and see what works best.
Userlevel 5
Badge +4
it has an emphasis on where you sit and will account for that. This has given me by far the best results.
Sure, but suppose my listening was always in only one place in the room, the stereo sweet spot. Should I then allow it more time in that place? Why not all the time there? Only trial and error can tell.
That is what I meant by hit or miss as in not being a precise science.

Well, no, because the way TruePlay get's it's accuracy is by analysing the whole room and detecting how the frequencies reflect of the objects in that room. If you focus too long on where you sit then it will not be detecting the whole room, which would give you inconsistent results. It's supposed to make the music sound great everywhere, and not specifically one spot. Only circle around your listening area for a few seconds just to kind of 'let it know' that the location is important to focus on. Trust that how your room is tuned is how it needs to be tuned. It is designed to analyse the whole room. If the results are not right to your ear of course you can re-tune. I have many times before I found the sweet spot for tuning my room. And, you can also still adjust the EQ and SUB levels in Room Settings. 🙂
Ehmmm, this TruePlay thing, does it compromise Stereo as intended in any way? Just wondering what exactly it tunes. Old school fool here, sorry!
Maybe he sat in one place and waved it around?! Anyway, the point is it may make sense to do it a couple of times and see what works best.
You're encouraged to focus the room scan somewhat around your main listening areas but, certainly at the start of the process, you need to wave the iDevice around sufficiently to placate the Trueplay algorithm.
Ehmmm, this TruePlay thing, does it compromise Stereo as intended in any way? Just wondering what exactly it tunes. Old school fool here, sorry!
Try https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_room_correction
Userlevel 4
Badge +8
Quick question - I assume that all of the BBC radio feeds available through TuneIn are now in HLS?
Quick question - I assume that all of the BBC radio feeds available through TuneIn are now in HLS?
Once you've upgraded to 6.0, the HLS streams are pulled via TuneIn.
Userlevel 4
Badge +8
Thanks.
Userlevel 5
Badge +4
TruePlay leaves the stereo pair configuration as is and corrects any inconsistencies between the two speakers. This also counts for a speaker and SUB, or a pair and SUB.

In my own personal use I have found that after tuning my speakers the stereo effect sounds much more natural and precise, it also sounds more atmospheric around me, to the point where certain sounds really sound like they are next to my ear rather than in-front of me. I personally like this and everyones rooms are different so you may or may not notice the same things I do but the software accounts for that while tuning.