Sonos Version 5.5 - Update Now Available

Badge +3
Hi everyone,

We're excited to announce that Sonos version 5.5 is now available for all Sonos users worldwide. Simply tap Update Now in your Sonos Controller to update to this new version. More information about Sonos updates can also be found here.

Version 5.5 includes a number of changes for the Spotify service, including some great new features which have been part of our public beta program for these last few months. Spotify on Sonos now includes:
  • Spotify Radio: Create new radio stations based on artists or tracks.
  • Featured Playlists: Curated music from Spotify, such as Your Daily Soundtrack.
  • Your Music: Build your music library from the Sonos Controller by adding songs.
  • Genres & Moods: Curated playlists from Spotify to fit your mood.
In addition to new features, Spotify reliability on Sonos should now be improved. As part of these changes, Spotify on Sonos now uses a new architecture and certain Spotify features are no longer supported. This includes playlist folders and starred tracks (which now show as a normal playlist).

Please note: after updating, you will be asked to re-authorize your Spotify account.

Once you've updated, get started with Spotify Radio on iOS or Android by selecting the radio station for an artist, or create a station from a track by pressing and holding on a track name, then tapping the More menu. Tap the Start Radio option to start a radio station based on that track. You'll find more information and instructions for other controllers here.

The update to version 5.5 also fixes an issue seen during the setup of some Sonos 5.1 surround systems as well as known issues with iOS 9.

As always, a huge thank you to everyone who tested this release as part of our public beta program, and happy updating.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

196 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +5
That is a real drawback, if one has large numbers of playlists. There is no other way of organising these playlists. I think you need to reconsider this.

Steve.
Userlevel 3
Badge
This update appears to have broken folders support for Spotify playlist. In the last version, going into playlists showed a list of your Spotify playlist folders to click into. Now it just shows a long list of *all* playlists. Known issue? Can it be fixed?
Userlevel 3
Badge
Why on earth remove folders from Spotify? A bizarre backwards step!
Userlevel 5
Badge +5
This is not trolling, but is a reaction to an ill thought out design change which badly affects the usability of a key feature of a Sonos/Spotify paid for subscription. If you have large numbers of playlists then the last thing you want to do is page through them all for ten minutes while you try to find what you want to play.

I know I, and I'm sure many other Spotify users, have spent a a long time categorising our Spotify playlists such that we can quickly and easily find what we want to listen to. This modification at a stroke removes that ability. Sonos, we need to have some means of categorisation and structuring of playlists. At the moment you have thrown away the investment that Spotify users have put into structuring the playlist collections - yes, it's nice to have the Radio functionality, but frankly the other stuff is pretty much a waste of time for me, and I suspect for others.

Please, let's have a response from Sonos as to how they intend to address this problem. It is not sufficient to pretend that this is a satisfactory solution. It isn't.

Steve.
Userlevel 3
Badge
That is a real drawback, if one has large numbers of playlists. There is no other way of organising these playlists. I think you need to reconsider this.

Steve.

Yeah, this is a big step back. Really bummed.
Userlevel 3
Badge
So now we have no more folders. Trust Sonos to take away one of the most useful tools for organising a large collection of playlists. Everything is a complete jumble now. How are we supposed to categorise our collections now Sonos? And we have to pay a subscription for this!
In the email I received today (6 Oct) announcing the Sonos/Spotify update there is a song and dance made about 'Genres and moods. Find a mix to match your mood'. Well, Sonos, I could do that in my own collection of playlists, thank you very much, until some dipstick decided to remove that facility.
This reminds of when the same mentally challenged personel redesigned the UI a couple of years ago despite protests from users. That episode also resulted in a loss of functionality plus it was a visually disastrous mess as well. Sonos, in their arrogance, dismissed all the complaints (and there were many) and my guess is that they will do exactly the same this time with the missing folders issue.
Sonos, get yourself someone who understands how a decent setup works, get it right, and then PLEASE LEAVE IT ALONE.
Userlevel 1
Really pissed off that once again you've got rid of folders! (And starred playlist!) My playlists is also now a mess, please fix this ASAP!!!
Userlevel 3
Badge
Hi Chris. About eight posts above your own post - this quote from Ryan S, a Sonos staff member: 'No plans currently on changes to the current structure'. So no, Sonos will not not change it - they do not take on board users concerns.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Thanks for the update!

I've some question about the changes to the Spotify interface if you don't mind. The playlists are now one step further down in the navigation menu, why couldn't they remain at the first level? What's the thinking behind the songs menu? It seems to list all song in all playlists, surely that's not very user friendly. I really would like to see separate menus for artists and albums as in the Spotify apps, wouldn't that be better?
Userlevel 5
Badge +5
Spotify didn't change anything. Prior to updating, I had folders. After updating, I had no folders. So this is a software change that Sonos has implemented, which has removed folders functionality. There may be technical reasons for having done this, but the fact remains that it is a Sonos development which has caused the problem.

I repeat, with no means of categorising and collating music, the usability of Spotify on Sonos has decreased markedly.

Sonos, some input as to how you intend to rectify this would be very helpful.
Userlevel 1
Bring folders back!!!!
Userlevel 2
Badge
The new Sonos software update now ignores the organization of my Spotify playlists into folders and sub-folders. I have dozens and dozens of playlists which I've saved in Spotify and the only way to be able to find any one of them easily is to organize them in this way. The new Sonos software update ignores them and just puts all of my playlists in one meaningless and jumbled list. This is a big step backwards in usability for Spotify under Sonos which I hope will be rectified quickly.
It is absolutely UNACCEPTABLE that the Spotify playlist folders are no longer supported!
I want to trade all the new features added for Spotify to get back my playlist folders, because my complete music collection has become unusable on my Sonos now.
I reported this BUG in the beta version and got the answer from SONOS that they would work on it to get it done. Now my system automatically updates and the folders are still gone.

This is just laughing in the face of your customers! If this doesn't come back soon, I have serious doubts if I want to keep Sonos in my house...
Userlevel 1
No, no, no! You deleted the folders from Spotify and you did that deliberately???? Did you check this with your users? And if yes, with how many? With 2? Because if you DID check this, you would know this is an important tool for the users!

Unbelievable, really. Give the users the folders back! And not in 6 months. NOW! You have no idea how important this is.

Thank you!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
They said it had to do with new Spotify platform. They don't seem to have wanted to remove folders. Hopefully they figure out how they can.
Userlevel 1
Why take away Spotify folders??? Now I have a mess with my playlists!! Bring back folders!!!
Userlevel 3
Badge
Sonos had to obviously chose content or folders and they chose additional content.

Sonos didn't have to obviously choose. Sonos could and should have waited until the folders issue was fixed before releasing this unfinished update. Maybe you weren't around a year or two ago (can't be exactly sure) when Sonos did a similar thing with an update to what I think was version 4.3. It was awful and the comments and complaints, including my own, were many and strongly worded. As then, it suggests that either the beta testers do not understand what users want and are paying for, or that Sonos don't listen and just do their own thing regardless. Taking folders away is a major blunder and this will become increasingly clear as time goes on and the complaints increase.
If you reply to this post Chris, understand that complaints about Sonos that you do not agree with are not trolling and are not an invitation for a personal attack on me or anyone else who's opinion you disagree with. Be polite 🙂
Userlevel 1
Badge
@rianvdm, We're aware of that change to folders, it has to do with the new architecture that we're using with Spotify now. John mentioned it above:

As part of these changes, Spotify on Sonos now uses a new architecture and certain Spotify features are no longer supported. This includes playlist folders and starred tracks (which now show as a normal playlist).

No plans currently on changes to the current structure, but we'll let everyone know if there's anything to share.

I've contacted Spotify and here's what they said:

Thanks for getting in touch with us. We’re sorry to hear you’re having problems with your Sonos. Let's get you the help you need.

Since Sonos developed their own Spotify app, their customer support will need to help you out. We're sorry we couldn’t do more!

Get in touch with them here.

We're always here if you have any questions with the Spotify service itself though. Just let us know.
Userlevel 5
Badge +5
Ryan, I think we're looking for a bit more than that. You must have plans for this, and to be honest, I can no longer use Spotify in the way in which I am used to. And Spotify integration was the reason I bought Sonos.
Userlevel 3
Badge
You're quite wrong about my amount of interaction with Sonos and you're also getting more personal than you're entitled to. I'm not interested in arguing with you so I'll wish you well and say goodbye.
The biggest issue for me is the 'your music' option. This has finally come to Sonos to bring it in line with how the Spotify apps work (great news) but:

if I want to listen to an album from my 'your music', I have to click 'your music' then 'songs' then scroll down a huge list of tracks, tap on a song, select 'more', then 'album info' then add the album to my Sonos playlist.

We really need album and artist options like the Spotify app.
Userlevel 5
Badge +5
Nicka99 - you mention "The comments from Sonos suggest Artists and Albums will come but this has been in beta for months already so I don't understand the hold up at all"

I'm currently running the beta and have just two options available in My Music - Playlists and Songs. Can you clarify whether as part of the beta you have artists and albums options. This would go some way to solving the problem although some means of flexible grouping and categorisation is still needed.

Sonos - it is going to be important for you to be open and honest in your communications here - removing functionality is not a sensible thing to do, and you have already learned (via the BBC HLS fiasco) that more open communication pays dividends. Can you be clear - are we going to get the Artist and Album options within My Music, and what do you propose to do regarding the folders functionality which you have removed?

Steve.
I join all those that complain about the loss off "FOLDERS" in the Spotify playlists in the 5.5 update.
This is most unacceptable and incomprehensible.
I have a large library, organized in folders for very different music: classical, jazz, pop, ...
The folders have the composer or artist name.
In the mail I received from sonos yesterday, was the following:
"Ben je nu volledig op de hoogte?
Nog niet, maar we wilden je deze update beslist niet langer onthouden. Deze versie ondersteunt nog niet de mappen Artiesten en Albums in de mappen Jouw muziek en Afspeellijsten. Je afspeellijsten zijn nog steeds op dezelfde plek te vinden. Echter, ze kunnen nog niet opgeslagen worden in mappen. "
The original English text does not mention the "not yet"
The person that translated in Dutch, hadn't the courage to say to the sonos clients they could forget to have the folders back, ever.
So, in the Dutch translation it says: "the playlists can not be stored in folders, NOT YET"
Big difference!
I was a very satisfied sonos/spotify user since spotify started in Belgium. (jan 2012 ?) Until now.
So, Sonos, I ask you to solve urgently this " Spotify - Folder " problem.
I'm extremely pleased that Sonos has implemented the Spotify Radio feature however this feels like a trade off for features that were already in previous versions of the service. A number of users are complaining about the folders being messed up however another feature that has been removed is access to the spotify inbox.

My friends and I send songs to eachother nearly daily and to have access to my inbox on my sonos play 5 removed in this update is very frustrating. I really regret not doing more research on sonos/spotify compatibility before buying my Play 5. The trade off of adding one feature (that I occasionally use) and removing another (that I use constantly) is enough for me to jump ship and look elsewhere.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Which important functions were so important that they had to start deleting features of the program?