Sonos Version 5.5 - Update Now Available

Show first post

195 replies

Userlevel 1
Dreadful upgrade from Sonos. It's effectively rendered my entire Spotify playlist collection useless because of the lack of folders...I know I'm just repeating what other people have said but hopefully the more voices, the quicker they'll fix it.

I don't really have the option to move away from Sonos as I've invested a lot but I'd certainly move away from Spotify if I can find an alternative that works better,
Userlevel 1
Badge
streathbourne wrote:

Dreadful upgrade from Sonos. It's effectively rendered my entire Spotify playlist collection useless because of the lack of folders...I know I'm just repeating what other people have said but hopefully the more voices, the quicker they'll fix it.

I don't really have the option to move away from Sonos as I've invested a lot but I'd certainly move away from Spotify if I can find an alternative that works better,

I've been on a trial month of Deezer, which is now available in the US *only* to Sonos customers. I like the service, and I like the fact that FLAC streaming is available (although I'm disappointed that it's only available on Sonos equipment, not on the mobile apps or on their native desktop apps.) I imported all my Spotify playlists into Deezer and it's a little bit easier to find stuff on Deezer.

The conspiracy theorist in me suspects that Sonos and Deezer are now affiliated in some formal or informal way, and that Sonos customers are being gradually weaned off Spotify: We can't alphabetize or otherwise re-order our Spotify playlists on Sonos, there's no favorited Spotify albums list on Sonos, and the search function searches *all* of Spotify, it cannot be narrowed to search our own playlists. So Spotify playlists are pretty much useless on Sonos. I too have invested a lot of money in Sonos equipment and I feel like a victim of "bait and switch".

Bad news, all around. And -- check out Deezer, you might like it (although you might feel like you're being manipulated, as I do)
This thread has officially hit tin-foil hat territory. :rolleyes:
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
We wanted to update you all that Your Music was just improved on Sonos to include your saved albums from Spotify. You can see more here.
With this update you came and broke my stereo! Spotify playlists all messed up without playlist folders! STOP DESTROYING PERFECTLY GOOD SYSTEMS BY UPDATING THEM WITH GARBAGE!!! :@
The message from Sonos 2 months ago was "...........certain Spotify features are no longer supported. This includes playlist folders........."

As repeated by many, this is a nightmare.

My structure of dozens of Spotify folders, subfolders and sub-subfolders are lost..... My folder structure starts with Genre, then Artist, then Album . For Classical music it is more complex, where the structure is Composter - Type of work - Work - and then the playlists per album. All this structure which I have built up over the last 2 years is suddenly lost in Sonos... WHY???

Luckily, the structure is still maintained on Spotify itself, but playing Spotify to Sonos has become a nightmare now.

Please please please Sonos, bring back the Folder structure in Spotify ...
Hi,
I would like to restore 5.5 on my imac 10.6.8, where can i find the version 5.5.

Thanks

isalio
You cannot go back once you update.
Loosing Spotify playlist folder support is a terrible downgrade in functionality. Anyone who has invested time organizing their Spotify library must be terribly disappointed in this change. Sonos' goal should be to mirror Spotify functionality as much as possible - not to change/modify/simplify.

Has anyone figured out a workaround? This renders my Sonos system much, much less functional.
John_126 wrote:

Loosing Spotify playlist folder support is a terrible downgrade in functionality. Anyone who has invested time organizing their Spotify library must be terribly disappointed in this change. Sonos' goal should be to mirror Spotify functionality as much as possible - not to change/modify/simplify.

Has anyone figured out a workaround? This renders my Sonos system much, much less functional.

Read the thread. It's not up to Sonos, it's up to Spotify to put the functionality in their new web based API, and they haven't.
Badge
Very true it's up to spotify, but I do feel that sonos should take some responsibility for allowing there system to be impacted by 3 rd parties. So I guess the issue is do you use sonos with inadequate 3rd party api, or use the 3 rd party direct on computer or other devices with fully functionality.
andy_120 wrote:

Very true it's up to spotify, but I do feel that sonos should take some responsibility for allowing there system to be impacted by 3 rd parties. So I guess the issue is do you use sonos with inadequate 3rd party api, or use the 3 rd party direct on computer or other devices with fully functionality.

That is your decision. Though I don't know how Sonos can take responsibility for allowing a 3rd party API to impact their system, when it is Spotify who insistst they use the Spotify API. I'm sure Sonos would love to use the Sonos API, which has all those features and more.
Badge
The point really is that this is having an effect on the sonos brand, it appears on the face of things that sonos don't seem that concerned about 3rd party api,s and there issues. I'm not sure sonos would love to use there own api as they would then have to resolve any issues with it, how much better it is to allow 3rd parties to manage things and sort out the problems. so you say spotify insist on they use there api so the question is who's the bigger company and has the bigger clout.
No, the real question is who you should be complaining to in order to get the results you want; the company who can fix it for you, or the company who, for any or all reasons, cannot fix it for you. Assessing clout, or blame, or the effect on a brand really has nothing to do with it. You either complain directly to those who can fix it and hopefully they listen, or you futilely complain to those who cannot fix it, and nothing happens.

Oh and one more thing on clout, the only clout here is money, and the only money changing hands is between you and Spotify. So the clout is yours. :)
Badge
I don't disagree with your comments and yes in my case it's napster and yes I will stop paying for a service I can't use, but as with spotify and all the other music services they work absolutely fine with direct access eg mobile, tablet ,PC but there sonos versions are flawed in one way or other until they resolve any issues they have.

As you say it's the 3 rd parties you should complain to, but I would like to see sonos bring some pressure on them too, hence why I say they should be actively communicating with the 3 rd parties to resolve the issues quicker.

If I was a person who was interested in buying sonos and read about these types of issues regarding streaming would I buy sonos????
I'm quite sure Sonos is in communication with Spotify. However, since Sonos doesn't pay any fees to Spotify, their impact is not as nearly as great if Sonos users of Spotify don't cancel subscriptions, or at least complain directly.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
andy_120 wrote:

I don't disagree with your comments and yes in my case it's napster and yes I will stop paying for a service I can't use, but as with spotify and all the other music services they work absolutely fine with direct access eg mobile, tablet ,PC but there sonos versions are flawed in one way or other until they resolve any issues they have.

As you say it's the 3 rd parties you should complain to, but I would like to see sonos bring some pressure on them too, hence why I say they should be actively communicating with the 3 rd parties to resolve the issues quicker.

If I was a person who was interested in buying sonos and read about these types of issues regarding streaming would I buy Sonos????

Sonos have stated that they will put more focus on streaming music services and I have no doubt whatsoever that they, Sonos, will be having conversations with Spotify and passing on feedback they get through various means.

Of course the question is, for Spotify, a) Do they lose existing customers because of this issue or b) Do they miss out on potential customers?

I can't imagine that Sonos lose customers as a result of this - it's easy enough to sign up to a rival streaming service that does what you want
Badge
It appears that all the rival streaming services have one sort of issue or another on sonos and yes that's up to the streaming service to sort out. My point is yes sonos is a fantastic system and I love it but is being terribly let down by these 3rd parties. It appears that these streaming services work absolutely fine as I previously stated when using other devices, so would sonos lose users because they don't stream as flawlessly on sonos, in time I would say yes as users want a easy system to use to stream there music and if so the system does not perform how you want it then you try something else. I guess time will tell and let's hope all parties get there act together. I know that in future once my system is working as I want it, I won't be in a rush to upgrade until I know that upgrade won't cause issues. Or if it never gets sorted the issues I'm having , with a heavy heart I will have to look at alternatives.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
In terms of what Sonos do brilliantly - Multi-Room music system where you can play the same synchronised music around the house or different then I'm not aware that Sonos has any significant competitors.

My advice would be to work with the system as it is and just enjoy the music.
Badge
I don't disagree with that Stuart, sonos is fantastic but if you can't even add albums in the Napster api then that's a major issue for me as I like to browse music and when I find something then I add it to my libary, so it impacts on my enjoyment of listening to music.

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings