Sonos Version 5.5 - Update Now Available

Show first post

195 replies

Userlevel 1
I'm very happy with the Spotify features in the new release, but indeed, I would like to give two suggestions for future improvement:
1. Bring the folder structure back... I had to delete a lot of Spotify playlists, since the lack of folder structure support in Sonos led to undesired performance problems.
2. When the folder structure is back --> Please extend the section "Charts" with Top/Viral charts for each country (comparable to the folder structure that already exists for this topic on Spotify). I sometimes like to listen to the Viral songs in, e.g., Argentina.

Thanks and keep up the good work!
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
SteveM wrote:

Nicka99 - you mention "The comments from Sonos suggest Artists and Albums will come but this has been in beta for months already so I don't understand the hold up at all"

I'm currently running the beta and have just two options available in My Music - Playlists and Songs. Can you clarify whether as part of the beta you have artists and albums options. This would go some way to solving the problem although some means of flexible grouping and categorisation is still needed.

Sonos - it is going to be important for you to be open and honest in your communications here - removing functionality is not a sensible thing to do, and you have already learned (via the BBC HLS fiasco) that more open communication pays dividends. Can you be clear - are we going to get the Artist and Album options within My Music, and what do you propose to do regarding the folders functionality which you have removed?

Steve.

Steve - you are correct - Artists and Albums from 'Your Music' are still missing. Adding these would indeed probably alleviate some of the issues users face with the loss of folders since users may well be organising their playlists in folders according to Artist and Album.

The 'comments' I refer to are quite a few instances where sonos have indicated this is just the first in a round of Spotify improvements with the goal being feature parity between the platforms (cant ever see that happening personally). Whilst I am grateful for these changes, this update has been so slow coming I really wonder how long we'll have to wait for the rest of 'Your Music'. Yesterday I received a mail from Sonos titled 'Sonos Spotify update: Performance upped. Radio added.' with the following at the bottom:

so lets hope there is more to follow soon ! I also miss other 'Radio' options (not only song and artist) such as genre and decade radio and my station history.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Nick, thanks for the reply. That's clearer and certainly part of my organisation is by artist and alphabetic, so introducing the Artist category would help.

Ironically having said that performance is improved, I am now getting 'unable to browse music' on selecting the Spotify music service. Was working earlier, and indeed since I applied the beta update on Sunday.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Update: I can now browse music via the Spotify service. A glitch perhaps, Sonos?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goldarak- go under settings ...about my Sonos. Look to see what version your android is on compare to hardware. Sounds like they are all not on same version.
Userlevel 1
RVA,

Thanks for your reply. Correct 5.4 on Sonos and 5.5 on phone.
All good now.
I've had sonos for years and never had to worry about that. Oh well, I'll have to bear that in mind.
Thanks anyway.
Cheers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
After you update the software it will still say update now in music selection screen meaning it needs to update the hardware side.
+1 for bring back folders - serious regression here.

+1 for moving Spotify playlists to the top Spotify folder - UI breakage will annoy users every time they use this.

I acknowledge that, once the 'gotchas' had been fixed in the last major upgrade, which Sonos *did* do in response to customer feedback (though a year later!) the result was a significant improvement on what went before.

So, Sonos, thanks for listening in the past - please keep listening!
Chris wrote:

After you update the software it will still say update now in music selection screen meaning it needs to update the hardware side.

How does one do this? I updated the app on my iphone but it won't work and says that it needs to be updated even though the app is on 5.5.
Go to settings, about my Sonos system a and check what version the players are actually running, I'd bet it's 6.0 and you've accidentally joined the beta program.
The LHC wrote:

Go to settings, about my Sonos system a and check what version the players are actually running, I'd bet it's 6.0 and you've accidentally joined the beta program.

Oh that is quite possible cause I did sign up for that, before I realized that iOS devices weren't supported. At work right now so can't check, but how do I correct that?
Zlax wrote:

The LHC wrote:

Oh that is quite possible cause I did sign up for that, before I realized that iOS devices weren't supported. At work right now so can't check, but how do I correct that?

You need to log into the Beta site and unregister from the 6.0 Beta. After that, update your system and it will revert back to 5.5

https://www.sonos.com/beta
I join all those that complain about the loss off "FOLDERS" in the Spotify playlists in the 5.5 update.
This is most unacceptable and incomprehensible.
I have a large library, organized in folders for very different music: classical, jazz, pop, ...
The folders have the composer or artist name.
In the mail I received from sonos yesterday, was the following:
"Ben je nu volledig op de hoogte?
Nog niet, maar we wilden je deze update beslist niet langer onthouden. Deze versie ondersteunt nog niet de mappen Artiesten en Albums in de mappen Jouw muziek en Afspeellijsten. Je afspeellijsten zijn nog steeds op dezelfde plek te vinden. Echter, ze kunnen nog niet opgeslagen worden in mappen. "
The original English text does not mention the "not yet"
The person that translated in Dutch, hadn't the courage to say to the sonos clients they could forget to have the folders back, ever.
So, in the Dutch translation it says: "the playlists can not be stored in folders, NOT YET"
Big difference!
I was a very satisfied sonos/spotify user since spotify started in Belgium. (jan 2012 ?) Until now.
So, Sonos, I ask you to solve urgently this " Spotify - Folder " problem.
was on 5.4 and updated. the PC app works fine but since update on Android phones none connect ,. They all just hand at the SONOS loading screen
I'm extremely pleased that Sonos has implemented the Spotify Radio feature however this feels like a trade off for features that were already in previous versions of the service. A number of users are complaining about the folders being messed up however another feature that has been removed is access to the spotify inbox.

My friends and I send songs to eachother nearly daily and to have access to my inbox on my sonos play 5 removed in this update is very frustrating. I really regret not doing more research on sonos/spotify compatibility before buying my Play 5. The trade off of adding one feature (that I occasionally use) and removing another (that I use constantly) is enough for me to jump ship and look elsewhere.
FYI - You needed to uninstall the original Android app 5.4 and then reinstall 5.5 - dont just update
Userlevel 1
Hi Sonos

Thank you for finally adding support for Spotify "Your Music". Sadly you are only supporting the least useful "Songs" view at the moment. You really must support "Albums" and "Artists" views for this to be at all useful. Radio and Genres are nice additions but "Your Albums" and "Your Artists" are essential.

Losing Playlist folders is also such a retrograde step. I understand you had to move to Spotify's new Architecture/API to enable all the new features and expose the "Your Music" section. I can imagine, give the way Spotify are, that the new API might fail to expose Playlist Folders properly but why don't you continue to use your old path to Playlists AND folders as well as the new API until Spotify improves matters.

I know dealing with Spotify can't be easy but please keep up the good work and fix these issues.

Thanks

Lawrence
Userlevel 1
Badge
The new Sonos software update now ignores the organization of my Spotify playlists into folders and sub-folders. I have dozens and dozens of playlists which I've saved in Spotify and the only way to be able to find any one of them easily is to organize them in this way. The new Sonos software update ignores them and just puts all of my playlists in one meaningless and jumbled list. This is a big step backwards in usability for Spotify under Sonos which I hope will be rectified quickly.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Ryan S wrote:

@rianvdm, We're aware of that change to folders, it has to do with the new architecture that we're using with Spotify now. John mentioned it above:

John M wrote:

As part of these changes, Spotify on Sonos now uses a new architecture and certain Spotify features are no longer supported. This includes playlist folders and starred tracks (which now show as a normal playlist).

No plans currently on changes to the current structure, but we'll let everyone know if there's anything to share.

This is a huge disservice to Spotify users and significantly disables a key element in the usability of the service. I hope Sonos will drop the casual attitude towards this wholly unwelcome and unnecessary change and do something about it immediately.
Badge
OK a Spotify related question that is not about folders. I mainly access Spotify via Sonos I have a habit of looking up interesting new releases in Spotify and then saving them as Spotify playlists for ez access later. This also gave me the option of accessing them on my phone's Spotify app when travelling, and in many cases having the option of accessing them off-line.

Now when finding a new Spotify album while inside Sonos I am only offered the option to save it as a Sonos playlist. In the past I could save an alum as either a Sonos or Spotify playlist.

Why has the latter option been removed?
Userlevel 1
Badge
It's sad to hear of yet another aspect of Spotify functionality which has been removed in this latest update. Did no one think to ask Spotify users of Sonos whether these functions, the ability to add items to Spotify playlists through Sonos and the ability of the Sonos app to see your Spotify folders, was important to Spotify users?

Looks as though Sonos has kind of a tin ear for its customers' needs, unfortunately.
Crescentan wrote:

It's sad to hear of yet another aspect of Spotify functionality which has been removed in this latest update. Did no one think to ask Spotify users of Sonos whether these functions, the ability to add items to Spotify playlists through Sonos and the ability of the Sonos app to see your Spotify folders, was important to Spotify users?

Looks as though Sonos has kind of a tin ear for its customers' needs, unfortunately.

Yeah, they have a tin ear for implementing important functions Spotify users have been screaming about for years. The fact is Sonos and Spotify have had to reengineer the API used, in doing so they had to make the difficult decision to leave off some current functions in order to give users those long sought features. Just the simple action of making this decision to reengineer says they are listening, which is the opposite having a tin ear.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Which important functions were so important that they had to start deleting features of the program?
Crescentan wrote:

Which important functions were so important that they had to start deleting features of the program?

Spotify Radio, Featured Playlists, Moods & Genres, Your Music. Spotify Radio alone was in the top 3 requests at Ask.Sonos. Besides, they didn't "delete the features of the old program", they had to reengineer the entire API and how Sonos/Spotify talk to each other. Apparently the former API was quite limited in what it can do, the new one allows Sonos to better mimic the features of the app.
Userlevel 1
Badge
And yet, in deleting the ability to see and use folders or save playlists to Spotify from Sonos, Sonos displayed no concern for the Sonos users relying on those functions. So far as I'm aware, Sonos didn't bother asking their customers who use Spotify whether they'd miss those features, so I think it's fair to say that in deleting them, Sonos displayed a large tin ear toward a significant part of their customers. It's pretty poor practice to implement new features demanded by one set of users, if it's at the expense of another set of users. So, yes, a big tin ear for Sonos on this one.

And yes, it's 'delete' because they chose not to retain those features in the new version of the app.

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings