Sonos Version 5.5 - Update Now Available

Badge +3
  • Sonos Staff
  • 2044 replies
Hi everyone,

We're excited to announce that Sonos version 5.5 is now available for all Sonos users worldwide. Simply tap Update Now in your Sonos Controller to update to this new version. More information about Sonos updates can also be found here.

Version 5.5 includes a number of changes for the Spotify service, including some great new features which have been part of our public beta program for these last few months. Spotify on Sonos now includes:
  • Spotify Radio: Create new radio stations based on artists or tracks.
  • Featured Playlists: Curated music from Spotify, such as Your Daily Soundtrack.
  • Your Music: Build your music library from the Sonos Controller by adding songs.
  • Genres & Moods: Curated playlists from Spotify to fit your mood.
In addition to new features, Spotify reliability on Sonos should now be improved. As part of these changes, Spotify on Sonos now uses a new architecture and certain Spotify features are no longer supported. This includes playlist folders and starred tracks (which now show as a normal playlist).

Please note: after updating, you will be asked to re-authorize your Spotify account.

Once you've updated, get started with Spotify Radio on iOS or Android by selecting the radio station for an artist, or create a station from a track by pressing and holding on a track name, then tapping the More menu. Tap the Start Radio option to start a radio station based on that track. You'll find more information and instructions for other controllers here.

The update to version 5.5 also fixes an issue seen during the setup of some Sonos 5.1 surround systems as well as known issues with iOS 9.

As always, a huge thank you to everyone who tested this release as part of our public beta program, and happy updating.

195 replies

Excellent news, updated and resubscribed.
Badge
Thanks for the update!

I've some question about the changes to the Spotify interface if you don't mind. The playlists are now one step further down in the navigation menu, why couldn't they remain at the first level? What's the thinking behind the songs menu? It seems to list all song in all playlists, surely that's not very user friendly. I really would like to see separate menus for artists and albums as in the Spotify apps, wouldn't that be better?
Can you detail how we get to the Discover Weekly playlists? I still can't seem to find them through the new controller app update.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
PetiePal wrote:

Can you detail how we get to the Discover Weekly playlists? I still can't seem to find them through the new controller app update.

The Discover Weekly playlists are within Your Music > Playlists. You'll find it among the list of your playlists there.
Does this contain the much ballyhooed TruePlay, or is that in 6.0?
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
BlueCrystalMan wrote:

Does this contain the much ballyhooed TruePlay, or is that in 6.0?

Trueplay will be in Sonos Version 6.0.
Badge
Did you remove the Google Play Artist radio support? :@
When does TruePlay and 6.0 release? By end of year?
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
bobend wrote:

Did you remove the Google Play Artist radio support? :@

Google Play artist radio is still available from either "My Library" for played radio stations, or just search for an artist and choose start Radio.

PetiePal wrote:

When does TruePlay and 6.0 release? By end of year?

We haven't announced the final release date for Sonos version 6.0, but it'll be available by the end of the year.
Ryan S wrote:

We haven't announced the final release date for Sonos version 6.0, but it'll be available by the end of the year.

Holy cow! Are you going to get in trouble for that? You actually committed to a release of something!!! That's unheard of round these parts!!! :D
BlueCrystalMan wrote:

Ryan S wrote:

Holy cow! Are you going to get in trouble for that? You actually committed to a release of something!!! That's unheard of round these parts!!! :D

He didn't say what year!
And there's the loophole that will let him keep his job. :D

Just in case its important, my iPhone 6 with iOS9 made me click the Update button for the app. My iPad with iOS9 didn't... it did the update on its own.
Badge +3
johncanter wrote:

BlueCrystalMan wrote:

Ryan S wrote:

He didn't say what year!

We apologize for the fault in the thread. Those responsible have been sacked.
But we like Ryan. Can you get rid of Phil from Accounting instead?
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
BlueCrystalMan wrote:

But we like Ryan. Can you get rid of Phil from Accounting instead?

We apologize again for the fault in the thread. Those responsible for sacking the people who have just been sacked have been sacked.
lol
Userlevel 2
Badge
This update appears to have broken folders support for Spotify playlist. In the last version, going into playlists showed a list of your Spotify playlist folders to click into. Now it just shows a long list of *all* playlists. Known issue? Can it be fixed?
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
@rianvdm, We're aware of that change to folders, it has to do with the new architecture that we're using with Spotify now. John mentioned it above:

John M wrote:

As part of these changes, Spotify on Sonos now uses a new architecture and certain Spotify features are no longer supported. This includes playlist folders and starred tracks (which now show as a normal playlist).

No plans currently on changes to the current structure, but we'll let everyone know if there's anything to share.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
That is a real drawback, if one has large numbers of playlists. There is no other way of organising these playlists. I think you need to reconsider this.

Steve.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
I use Spotify a lot so this update is a welcome improvement.

Many thanks.
Userlevel 2
Badge
SteveM wrote:

That is a real drawback, if one has large numbers of playlists. There is no other way of organising these playlists. I think you need to reconsider this.

Steve.

Yeah, this is a big step back. Really bummed.
Hi,

I'm a new Sonos user (bought my system last week) and just downloaded the app update. The update seems to have worked and the app says that I'm using v5.5 but it also still says that a new controller version is available for download and that I have to download it. When I click the "More info" button I get redirected to the app store which says that I'm on the latest version, so I'm in some sort of infinite loop here. What am I supposed to do?
Userlevel 2
Badge
So now we have no more folders. Trust Sonos to take away one of the most useful tools for organising a large collection of playlists. Everything is a complete jumble now. How are we supposed to categorise our collections now Sonos? And we have to pay a subscription for this!
In the email I received today (6 Oct) announcing the Sonos/Spotify update there is a song and dance made about 'Genres and moods. Find a mix to match your mood'. Well, Sonos, I could do that in my own collection of playlists, thank you very much, until some dipstick decided to remove that facility.
This reminds of when the same mentally challenged personel redesigned the UI a couple of years ago despite protests from users. That episode also resulted in a loss of functionality plus it was a visually disastrous mess as well. Sonos, in their arrogance, dismissed all the complaints (and there were many) and my guess is that they will do exactly the same this time with the missing folders issue.
Sonos, get yourself someone who understands how a decent setup works, get it right, and then PLEASE LEAVE IT ALONE.
Userlevel 1
Why on earth remove folders from Spotify? A bizarre backwards step!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
They said it had to do with new Spotify platform. They don't seem to have wanted to remove folders. Hopefully they figure out how they can.

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings