Sonos Version 5.2 Now in Public Beta

• 4 November 2014
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +25
  • Community Manager
  • 11019 replies
We’re happy to announce that Sonos version 5.2 has entered a public beta for Android and Windows PC and Mac controllers.

Version 5.2 adds support for multiple account of the same music service, among other features. Following the update you’ll be able to add multiple accounts for all your favorite services.

For full details on this update please see our blog introducing Sonos 5.2.

You’re invited to join the public beta program for Android and desktop controllers by following the directions found here.

7 replies

If I join the beta, will it be possible to keep compability to my Android tablet with controller 4.3 when I exit the beta-program?
Or is it a one-way road that forces me to pass the 5.1 barrier?
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
If I join the beta, will it be possible to keep compability to my Android tablet with controller 4.3 when I exit the beta-program?

I think when you remove the beta you go onto the prior 'official' release so that would be 5.1 and your lovely 4.3 controller would be useless.
Userlevel 7
Badge +25

NickA is correct. Beta programs all run off of the latest software and joining will update your players and controllers. At the end of the beta program, or if you leave it, your system will switch over to the latest full release, currently 5.1. The 4.3 controller won't work with systems higher than 5.0.

Thank´s for the info.

Now this is an opportunity for Sonos to develop, the option for us customer, to choose the firmware.
If it´s possible to roll back from 5.2 in beta to 5.1, then it would not be rock science to make an option to roll back to 4.3. Or better 4.1, and I would have my mute button to funktion as I bought it, on all my players.
Badge
How about releasing a Windows Phone 8.1 controller and native Windows 8.1 app!  I have a Nokia Lumia 920 Windows Phone running Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1 and several Windows 8.1 tablets so I could beta test those.
Userlevel 6
Badge +15

A good point - something needs to be done about this issue as older controllers might not be able to handle latest version.

Apple now do this for their iPhones so come on sonos join the crowd and don't be the same - oh wait that's an Android saying.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings