Update News

Sonos version 10.5 now available

• 28 October 2019
  • 62 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Sonos version 10.5 brings performance enhancements and improved reliability to Sonos systems.

You can find our most recent release notes in our article Release Notes for Sonos Software. If you have any other issues relating to updating your system, please check this article: Error message when attempting to update Sonos system. 

How to update your system:

Go to Settings > System > System Updates, or click the “Update Now” button, if it appears on your controller. If you have automatic updates enabled, your system will update automatically, though you may need to update your Sonos app manually depending on your App settings. You can enable automatic software updates if you haven’t done so under System > System Updates so that they update without your intervention, that way your system is up to date anytime you go to use it.

Changes to Sonos system requirements

With Sonos version 10.5, Sonos apps running for iOS 10, Android 5 and 6, and Fire OS 5 are now partially supported and will no longer receive software updates but can still be used to control commonly-used features. Settings and system configuration changes will need to be done using a fully compatible controller.

If your device is running one of these older OS versions, you can check in its system settings to find if a newer version is available to download. Not all devices can update to more modern OS versions.

Sonos 10.5 system requirements

• Android 7.0 or later

• iOS 11 or later

• iPadOS 13 or later

• macOS 10.11 or later

• Windows 7 or later

62 replies

A longer lasting solution would be to release a “controller” box. This hardware could be little more than a Raspberry Pi that offers a browser based user interface, then controls the SONOS system. Keeping this box up to date would be relatively inexpensive for everyone. In the worst case it could be inexpensively replaced. 

Over the long haul the buy once, free support forever business model crashes after the market saturates. This controller box could come with a subscription fee for updates. The fee would give SONOS some incentive to continue supporting the box. New player hardware sales could still be stimulated by system expansion, offering products with compelling new features, and replacing ancient units that failed due to age.

From what I’ve seen, most/many/some users will not accept having to pay anything additional in order to maintain the system they already bought.  There will be complaints about having to purchase a new box and certainly won’t like a subscription fee.  That fee itself will be somewhat odd, since it won’t be about new services offered, or be required for customers with more current android/iOS devices.

My other thought on this is that if administration/control is browser based, why not have it be cloud sourced instead of the controller device?  This would be easier to maintain for Sonos and have the benefit of control away from home.  It could be more of a security risk though perhaps and not as responsive.

The current system approach is that the players are co-equal and one player becomes the “coordinator” for a L/R pair. Groups also have a coordinator. This works well, but the older players are being challenged due to processor power and memory constraints. This hierarchy could be modified to have the controller box, if present, take over the coordinator functions.

if you went this route, you could make it more appealing to a wider audience if you added additional features.  You could add airplay and aux input.  You add HDMI-ARC so that you could use a stereo pair with a TV possibly….not sure that would work on older devices.  That would make such a device more appealing to a wider audience then just those using older speakers and older operating systems.

Sonos seem to be following the Apple route of artificially ageing their hardware by introducing firmware updates that appear to make a perfectly good piece of kit unusable, illegal under the US anti-trust rules but totally ignored.

An absolute joke.

SONOS set my app to automatically update… they don’t check what release of android I am on and now I can do nothing with my phone.

I have lost connection to one of my Play 1’s which was a pair...and I cannot just switch that off and still listen via the other.

I have lost the ability to play over WiFi so now have to have my Playbar connected via ethernet.

I have the latest PC but Oh no SONOS will not provide an app for PC to do all your setup…you must have a phone or tablet !

SONOS help desk suggestion… go and buy a new phone.

I have the same setup and the same problem and I've been in contact with support now for 8 days! Even though I've detailed the processes I have gone through to try and resolve the issue they keep asking me to do the same things!!! Maybe it's because a different person responds to each of my submissions,  so there is no continuity. They don't seem to understand that nothing has changed in my system from the day it was set up, other than to make their erroneous updates. I'm starting to dislike Sonos and, once the recovery of my two expensive door-stops is achieved, I'll sell up and go back to my good old LS35A's, analogue amp and my media streamer and put up with the wires.

I thought you stated that you were using the Samsung S9 mobile, doesn’t that run on Oreo? If so, then you don’t have the same setup, nor the same issues, as that device meets the current Sonos system requirements.

You mention you have detailed the processes that you have gone through, what are they exactly? If you were to describe them and your setup accurately here, you may find someone in the community can lead you through the best steps to get your ‘door-stops’ back up and running. I’m actually surprised you have waited 8 days, when you could have quite easily gone back to factory settings in that time and probably have setup your router and devices again from scratch, albeit as a last resort. Waiting 8 days is beyond the point of last resort.

My thoughts here are, that it’s not the Sonos updates at fault here, but more likely a LAN configuration issue.  

Just for the record a network’s setup topology will often change, even without you doing anything, just through the usual changing internal and external factors, so you can’t actually rule out that as being a factor, I would politely suggest.

You just need to explain your setup in detail. Perhaps include these few basic details…

• Make/Model of Router?
  • Channels in use on both the 2.4ghz & 5ghz Bands
  • Channel in use by SonosNet, if relevant, or if you have tried switching your system over to use SonosNet.
  • Details of any Hubs/Access Points/Repeaters etc. and whether or not they are using the same SSID and WiFi Channels as the main router?
  • The current software version  that your devices are showing in the 'About My System’ list.
  • State, if you have reserved the Sonos IP addresses in the LAN DHCP Reservation Table.. (I would recommend you do this).
  • Make/Model of network switches and if they are unmanaged, or managed, with the correct STP settings.

I’m quietly confident that with the right information provided, you should be able to get someone here to help you get your networked speakers back up and running.

An absolute joke.

SONOS set my app to automatically update… they don’t check what release of android I am on and now I can do nothing with my phone.

I have lost connection to one of my Play 1’s which was a pair...and I cannot just switch that off and still listen via the other.

I have lost the ability to play over WiFi so now have to have my Playbar connected via ethernet.

I have the latest PC but Oh no SONOS will not provide an app for PC to do all your setup…you must have a phone or tablet !

SONOS help desk suggestion… go and buy a new phone.

I have the same setup and the same problem and I've been in contact with support now for 8 days! Even though I've detailed the processes I have gone through to try and resolve the issue they keep asking me to do the same things!!! Maybe it's because a different person responds to each of my submissions,  so there is no continuity. They don't seem to understand that nothing has changed in my system from the day it was set up, other than to make their erroneous updates. I'm starting to dislike Sonos and, once the recovery of my two expensive door-stops is achieved, I'll sell up and go back to my good old LS35A's, analogue amp and my media streamer and put up with the wires.

I thought you stated that you were using the Samsung S9 mobile, doesn’t that run on Oreo? If so, then you don’t have the same setup, nor the same issues, as that device meets the current Sonos system requirements.

You mention you have detailed the processes that you have gone through, what are they exactly? If you were to describe them and your setup accurately here, you may find someone in the community can lead you through the best steps to get your ‘door-stops’ back up and running. I’m actually surprised you have waited 8 days, when you could have quite easily gone back to factory settings in that time and probably have setup your router and devices again from scratch, albeit as a last resort. Waiting 8 days is beyond the point of last resort.

My thoughts here are, that it’s not the Sonos updates at fault here, but more likely a LAN configuration issue.  

Just for the record a network’s setup topology will often change, even without you doing anything, just through the usual changing internal and external factors, so you can’t actually rule out that as being a factor, I would politely suggest.

You just need to explain your setup in detail. Perhaps include these few basic details…

• Make/Model of Router?
  • Channels in use on both the 2.4ghz & 5ghz Bands
  • Channel in use by SonosNet, if relevant, or if you have tried switching your system over to use SonosNet.
  • Details of any Hubs/Access Points/Repeaters etc. and whether or not they are using the same SSID and WiFi Channels as the main router?
  • The current software version  that your devices are showing in the 'About My System’ list.
  • State, if you have reserved the Sonos IP addresses in the LAN DHCP Reservation Table.. (I would recommend you do this).
  • Make/Model of network switches and if they are unmanaged, or managed, with the correct STP settings.

I’m quietly confident that with the right information provided, you should be able to get someone here to help you get your networked speakers back up and running.

Thanks for your enormously detailed response but I am waiting for Sonos support to respond, as they are the source of my issue. They have all the relevant details that you list, where applicable, and they were the last resort after reconfiguring the system from scratch to unsuccessfully restore functionality. Fortunately my system is minimal, just two One’s as a stereo pair on a basic 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network with a Intel NUC media server and internet via BT. I had limited the system to fixed IP addresses but reverted to auto during the reconfiguration.

Unfortunately, I don’t have the time to sort out problems that should not occur and it is not unreasonable to expect uninterrupted functionality from a product and not to have it disrupted by the action of the manufacturer. Perhaps your capabilities are better than mine and I appreciate support from various forums and will resort to this later. My patience is not exhausted, yet, as I would hope that my experiences may provide successful support for other users through Sonos but my confidence is somewhat lacking. My cynicism is focussed on Sonos support! 

Don’t get me wrong, when working my simple Sonos system was very good and convenient in my office but, as an ex-audio Engineer, it isn't my system of choice and my old ears do not hear sounds the same as they did and true Hi-Fi is almost wasted on them!

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Great response, Ken! I also took a look at the ticket you have with support @Mike01Hu and sent you a private message with a few thoughts. 

Great response, Ken! I also took a look at the ticket you have with support @Mike01Hu and sent you a private message with a few thoughts. 

Thank you@Ryan S . Your rapid response, not treating me as an idiot ( even though I may be:thinking: ) has resolved my issue with no pain or a condescending attitude from yourself. For the benefit of others, you pointed to a hidden (to me) feature to interrogate the network. The result prompted me to revisit the router where I found, in a submenu, it had blocked one of the speakers, preventing it from being able to access the update server and creating the error. Resetting this brought the system back to life.

I apologise for my frustration but the email support was somewhat disjointed and needed a single contact to focus my actions. A learning curve for both sides! :wink:

Thank you once more for your professional and well-structured approach to my issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

You’re most welcome, @Mike01Hu. I’ve already reached out to the email technicians you’ve worked with to let them know what happened. Let us know if we can help with anything else.

Posted this on the 10.4 thread but it's probably more appropriate here. When my alarm goes off, half the time there is no notification for it on my phone whatsoever. The other half of the time, there is a notification but the Sonos app "thinks" the alarm is a song called "chime" and only lets me stop it. It does not give snooze or alarm off options. When my Sonos one received the 10.5 update last weekend, it seemed to temporarily fix the issue for a few days. This issue seems 100% Android 10 related because all my devices with older versions have never had their alarm feature break but both me and my wife's pixel 3 and 3a in Android 10 have identical problems with the Sonos. And help is appreciated since this completely kills the usefulness of the alarm.

Badge

Sonos controller on Android latest software, Samsung J5 2017 Android 8 all updated.

Is recently played meant to include Spotify music playlists accessed via Sonos app or Spotify Free app?

All other playlists including tunein stations are shown just not ones via Spotify, is this standard?

Will this Brick my “legacy” (as you call them) device?

Will this Brick my “legacy” (as you call them) device?

If you are referring to the 10.5 update as per the  title of this ‘old’ thread, then I very much doubt it, as the current App is already at v 10.6.2 and all seems to be fine here. Besides, there has not been any mention/announcement of ‘bricking’ any Sonos product from Sonos.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

The legacy update is scheduled for May 2020.

There is no bricking involved, that is a long past issue and only for the CR-100 and Dock devices.

https://blog.sonos.com/en/a-letter-from-our-ceo/

Userlevel 2

SONOS states that an android device that does not upgrade the controller app to 10.5 can still be used as an everyday controller, supporting the same set of functionality that it previously supported.
NOT TRUE.

When I try to launch the SONOS controller app on my android tablet, it will not allow me to use it without accepting an upgrade to 10.5.
But my back-level of android OS (5.1) does not support 10.5 and thus it can not be upgraded to 10.5. But without the upgrade it will not operate at all. And my LG tablet can not be upgraded beyond OS 5.1.
CATCH-22! My entire SONOS system is effectively dead at this point.

Why does SONOS want to punish (and possibly lose) users who do not have the few android devices that are at the latest and greatest level of the Android OS, by blocking them from be used at any level of functionality?

Why would SONOS want to discourage potential customers from buying into the SONOS ecosystem by repeatedly taking actions that makes it clear that the customer’s investment has, by design, a very limited time-span of usability?