Sonos version 10.1 Now Available - Recently Played

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
  • Retired Community Manager
  • 12389 replies
Sonos version 10.1 is now available as an update for players and controllers, with some new and exciting features.

My Sonos - Now Showing Recently Played Music

With 10.1, you’ll be able to easily see and replay the music you’ve played on your system using the Sonos app. See the 40 most recent Albums, Playlists, Stations (but not individual songs) played on Sonos using the app under a new section of My Sonos called Recently Played. This is specific to your Sonos app, and doesn't show you the music started using voice control, AirPlay, or other ways to play on Sonos. Individual entries can be removed from the Recently Played section of My Sonos to assist with curation and all entries can be easily cleared from Settings as well.

To enable and manage, go to Settings > My Sonos Settings. You’ll need to sign in to your account in the Sonos App. This feature requires some activity information to be collected as outlined in an updated Sonos Privacy Statement. Recently Played can be turned off in the same My Sonos Settings.

Also new to My Sonos, add the Line-In for any Sonos components with an input (not including TV inputs). Just go to Browse > Line-In and select the three dots beside the Line-In that you want to add to My Sonos. Don’t forget that under Room Settings > Line-In settings you can also set the name of the Line-In for each device. Using unique names allows users and control partners to maintain an alphabetized list of Line-In favorites for use with home automation systems like Control4, Lutron, iPort, etc.

Improvements to Podcast Playback

There’s now a new way to skip through your podcasts. You'll find some quick skips forward and backwards for podcast content on the Now Playing page. This feature is available starting with Pocketcasts, and will be added to other podcast sources over time. The buttons will display a number on them showing how far it’ll skip.

Alexa app improvements

Within the Alexa app, voice-enabled Sonos players will now show as one device in Alexa app. This will provide an easier view of the devices in your Alexa app.

System requirements, alerts & warnings

Minimum OS requirements
  • Android 5.0 or later
  • iOS 10 or later
  • macOS 10.11 or later
  • Windows 7 or later

Operating systems iOS 9 and Android 4.4 are no longer supported by the Sonos App. Devices running iOS 9 or Android 4.4 can no longer connect to a Sonos system.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

102 replies

10.1 breaks the control from the Savant Automation system.
Userlevel 4
Badge +9
I was trying to express disappointment that a feature has been added to the Sonos ecosystem but that the feature is not available in the desktop controller. I appreciate that Sonos have made the feature part of "My Sonos" which is not available on the desktop but going down that rabbit hole just raises the question why is "my Sonos" not available on the desktop
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Why can't sonos send us an email to the iOS app inbox WARNING:-
"
Operating systems iOS 9 and Android 4.4 are no longer supported by the Sonos App. Devices running iOS 9 or Android 4.4 can no longer connect to a Sonos system."

So we all know what will the update WILL KILL.
I was lucky this time, but next time iam sure to forget in my excitement for google assistant ;)
What is the point of the inbox if it doesn't give us useful warnings??
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
the desktop controllers are being preserved for basic playback and controls, but they also aren't receiving all updates in the same way as mobile devices.
Exactly. And that's where Sonos is making a mistake. I'm using the desktop controller much more than any mobile controller and I feel neglected and therefor I'm an unhappy Sonos user.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
I understand where you're coming from, and I'll pass along the frustration. Recently Played as a feature for My Sonos is only available on mobile controllers. If you'd like, I'll even include a request to the team to bring it to other platforms. However, it's important to keep in mind that some controllers won't be getting all new features. The CR200 can barely handle what it's currently doing, and the desktop controllers are being preserved for basic playback and controls, but they also aren't receiving all updates in the same way as mobile devices.

Hi Ryan, you can add my vote to the request that future features be added to desktop controllers. Some of us chose Sonos because of desktop support and I hope we can keep a full or almost-full desktop controller feature-set in the future.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
does this resolve the skipping issues while playing music with the sonos app (iphone) from music on your phone?
If you're having trouble with music stored on your iOS device being played to Sonos, there are some things to do that can improve the playback, but there is still an issue that crops up when the screen goes to sleep. The Sonos app loses focus on the phone and any other Airplay devices on the network could cause the audio stream to become no longer available. While we're still investigating this, I'd recommend looking into either using AirPlay 2 with a compatible Sonos player, or having your music library stored on another device on the network, and using the phone as a controller instead of the source of the music. That way you can play music without the phone being around.

When we have more to share on this, we'll be sure to share it.
Userlevel 7
I found my answer after reading Ryan's post more thoroughly. duh! 😛
Userlevel 4
Badge +9
Nice overdue feature but why is recently played not available on PC / Mac? Another nail in the coffin for the desktop controller?
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Where can I find this new option in the desktop controller?
This feature isn't available on the desktop controller as it doesn't have access to My Sonos and only lists your Sonos Favorites.

It's a shame.
I have an older iPad running iOS 9.3.5 and which cannot be upgraded to a later version of iOS. I have always used this iPad to control my Sonos system, but since today's update of the Sonos controller app it no longer runs on my iPad. Is there please any way round this? It was perfect as a Sonos controller before.
Userlevel 6
Badge +12
Another damned update which I do NOT want! The blasted 'Update Now' option has suddenly appeared in my desktop controller. Why? I guess because there's no way to disable these update notifications. All my controllers are set on version 10.0. Auto updates are set to off on the android versions.

It's infuriating that there's no way to hide/remove the menu option - it just sits there like a malign scab waiting to be scratched ...

There's another gripe I have with the desktop controller - because there's no native linux version, I have to use wine. Updating means reinstalling the whole thing again in wine - a hit'n'miss process at best.

There have been 100s of posts complaining about how the controller program has developed, yet Sonos have studiously ignored all these complaints.
They do themselves no good by not listening to users.

GGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!
Userlevel 6
Badge +12
The Autocheck is set to OFF in my android apps.!!! Still the desktop shows the Update Now menu option.

So, in theory conflicts with in practice ...
Userlevel 6
Badge +12
Someone? It wasn't me. I have studiously avoided any updates of any kind since version 10. I have 4 controllers - desktop, android 1 and 2, cr200.
The androids have auto-update OFF. There is no option in desktop or cr200 to set update prefs.
Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Im sure just about everyone welcomes the continuous refinement of the platform. After all we’d be up in arms if it stopped tomorrow.

Andrew S

My system works as I want it. So, give me the choice to keep it as is. The crazy thing is the update features don't apply to the desktop.

Simple just give an option in desktop & cr200 to switch off the update notification
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Recently Played is system wide, for playback started by Sonos apps.
No. it's not system wide. My Desktop Controller is part of my system and it doesn't display the Recently Played items.
Userlevel 6
Badge +12
Recently Played is system wide, for playback started by Sonos apps.
No. it's not system wide. My Desktop Controller is part of my system and it doesn't display the Recently Played items.

Same with CR200 controller - part of my sonos sytem but doesn't display Recently Played either.

I don't care what android and apple users get or see. I only want my controllers (desktop & cr200) to work as they are, and not be collateral damage to whatever Sonos does for smartphone users.

The software design is fundamentally flawed.
Userlevel 6
Badge +12
I understand where you're coming from, and I'll pass along the frustration. Recently Played as a feature for My Sonos is only available on mobile controllers. If you'd like, I'll even include a request to the team to bring it to other platforms. However, it's important to keep in mind that some controllers won't be getting all new features. The CR200 can barely handle what it's currently doing, and the desktop controllers are being preserved for basic playback and controls, but they also aren't receiving all updates in the same way as mobile devices.

Hmm? The CR200 does exactly what I want - it's fine for my purposes - all I ask is that you leave installed systems as they are, UNLESS I the user decide to change things
Badge +2
“Within the Alexa app, voice-enabled Sonos players will now show as one device in Alexa app. This will provide an easier view of the devices in your Alexa app.”

This is pants. It now means the Sonos Beam TV doesn’t show as a separate smart device in the Alexa app anymore. It only shows as a smart speaker. This means you cannot create an Alex Group containing the Beam TV grouped with other Smart Devices, such as lights, anymore. I had a group called Everything that had the Beam TV and all my Hue lights in the one group. I could say Alexa turn off everything” and she would. This feature no longer works because of this update. I am very disappointed as this was really cool. Please brining it back Sonos. It’s fine to make something simpler but you’ve now broken something that was really useful. 😠
Userlevel 6
Badge +12
As ever, another update which breaks Sonos for many users. One way to reduce the negative impact of unwanted/incompatible updates would be to create a 2 level menu process. For example, an update now menu item could then offer 'Yes', 'No' and 'Don't Show Again'.

Surely, this would be better than the current situation which leaves so many users with redundant controllers?
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
As ever, another update which breaks Sonos for many users. One way to reduce the negative impact of unwanted/incompatible updates would be to create a 2 level menu process. For example, an update now menu item could then offer 'Yes', 'No' and 'Don't Show Again'.

Surely, this would be better than the current situation which leaves so many users with redundant controllers?

Might solve the "forced update" issue when you get a new phone/tablet/PC that you want to run the controller on, but wouldn't you still run into issues if you want to add to or upgrade your collection of Sonos units?

Given that Sonos are steadily reducing the number of platforms they support fully (or at all), maybe Sonos needs to get back into the controller hardware game and start making their own Android tablets. After all, it's pretty clear that the preferred way to run a Sonos controller on the laptop in your home office is to "buy a cheap tablet to sit on your desk".
Userlevel 6
Badge +12
I find using smartphones to control my system is too fiddly. Sonos had a marvellous dedicated controller in the CR200 - sadly it was/is plagued by poor reliability and was too expensive.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
A tablet is the answer. It has a bigger screen, portable and far easier to use than a desktop, CR200, or mobile. I have all those different controllers and the iPad and Android Tablets are the ones that my family and friends go for every single time.

My much-used and once-loved PC has now fallen on far dustier times since buying the iPad.

This is the thing. The best device is often the one you have available. Sometimes that's a phone. Sometimes that's the iPad in the living room. Sometimes that's the desktop/laptop in your office. But when you do have a choice, some form factors win out over others (eg. bigger PC/tablet screen space for browsing, physical keyboard for typing search terms).

Other observation: in many modern open-plan offices, people drown out the disturbances with music through headphones. And they're often running Spotify desktop to do so even when they have their phones on them, but they'll switch back to their phones to soundtrack their commute. The one-service-many-controllers approach is alive and well.
Userlevel 6
Badge +12
I do NOT want another Android device - stupid cluttered screens of icons, endless updates, battery run-down, etc. I like dedicated controllers, or a PC sized interface. In my book Sonos can update their smartphone features adding in more features (I do NOT want) to their heart's content. All I'm asking is that they allow those of us who are happy with the system as it is to refuse updates which deactivate our existing controllers.

I have 2 Play 1s and a Beam setup as I & the family like - no intention of adding any more devices, and no need to update for features I either can't use, or don't want. It's not much to ask.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
YOU. CAN. REFUSE. UPDATES!!!!!

So stop saying you can't.

Yes. Sort of. Pretty sure "it depends"...
1. You don't need to update to keep your current Sonos+controllers setup
2. Updates become a requirement whenever you change any part of your system (unless you can somehow buy a brand new Play 5 pre-loaded with Sonos 8.2, or download Sonos app v9.1 when you get a new iOS device)
Userlevel 6
Badge +12
YOU. CAN. REFUSE. UPDATES!!!!!

So stop saying you can't.

I know I can - but only by IGNORING the Update Now button. I'm suggesting an option to confirm Yes/No/Don't Show Again. This would satisfy everyone (well, maybe most users).
Why are you so resistant to seeing someone else's point of view?