Sonos version 10.1 Now Available - Recently Played

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

102 replies

I have an older iPad running iOS 9.3.5 and which cannot be upgraded to a later version of iOS. I have always used this iPad to control my Sonos system, but since today's update of the Sonos controller app it no longer runs on my iPad. Is there please any way round this? It was perfect as a Sonos controller before.

Ive seen Sonopad recommended which is a third party Sonos controller that has a minimum iOS of 8 IIRC. YMMV

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sonopad-for-sonos/id579984303?mt=8

Thank you very much. That looks promising. I will give it a go.
Another damned update which I do NOT want! The blasted 'Update Now' option has suddenly appeared in my desktop controller. Why? I guess because there's no way to disable these update notifications. All my controllers are set on version 10.0. Auto updates are set to off on the android versions.

It's infuriating that there's no way to hide/remove the menu option - it just sits there like a malign scab waiting to be scratched ...

There's another gripe I have with the desktop controller - because there's no native linux version, I have to use wine. Updating means reinstalling the whole thing again in wine - a hit'n'miss process at best.

There have been 100s of posts complaining about how the controller program has developed, yet Sonos have studiously ignored all these complaints.
They do themselves no good by not listening to users.

GGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

The secret is to stop the app from updating on your mobile devices. Turn off auto-update on your mobile devices. Turn off update alerts in the Settings menu of each controller.

Also, you do know you don't have to update just because the reminder is there, right? It is your choice to update, either via physically choosing update, or choosing auto-updates in your mobile device's app store. You are not being forced to do anything.
Userlevel 6
Badge +12
'Turn off update alerts in the Settings menu of each controller. ' Do you mean Turn off notifications?
Hopefully my play 5 will now stop disappearing and I won't have to reboot it anymore to rejoin my network
'Turn off update alerts in the Settings menu of each controller. ' Do you mean Turn off notifications?

We've been over this before castalla. Sonos controller app for:

iOS/Android - More > Settings > Advanced Settings and turn "Auto Check for Updates" to 'Off'.

This will shut it off for all controllers, including the PC/Mac. You were previously told this as recently as last month!
The Autocheck is set to OFF in my android apps.!!! Still the desktop shows the Update Now menu option.

So, in theory conflicts with in practice ...

That's because someone updated the hardware or controller and there is a version mismatch. Once there is a mismatch, you can't get rid of the alert without updating.

Again, we have been over this before. :8 A Sonos rep actually told you this a mere month ago. See this thread:

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/remove-update-notification-6820131
Someone? It wasn't me. I have studiously avoided any updates of any kind since version 10. I have 4 controllers - desktop, android 1 and 2, cr200.
The androids have auto-update OFF. There is no option in desktop or cr200 to set update prefs.

On the PC go to Help > About My Sonos System, check the version of hardware vs. controller.

And once again, the alert is not forcing you to update, unless you have a bit of OCD and can't stand looking at it.
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
I really don’t understand these repeated complaints about Sonos pushing out software updates.

The briefest glimpse through these forums would show people having numerous issues with bugs / glitches and others with feature requests. These fixes / features can’t be delivered without firmware upgrades.

It’s simple — you’ve bought a software driven piece of kit. It will have updates, just like your phone / tablet, your smart TV and your robot vac. If updates are not desirable, but yourself a record player and a radio. True, not all upgrades go well (mine didn’t) and if your old tablet / phone are no longer supported — well, yeah, it kinda sucks. But we’ve all been there - it’s par for the course.

Im sure just about everyone welcomes the continuous refinement of the platform. After all we’d be up in arms if it stopped tomorrow.

On this point — I agree with Jgatie ?

Andrew S
Userlevel 6
Badge +12
[quote=jgatie]
And once again, the alert is not forcing you to update, unless you have a bit of OCD and can't stand looking at it.

Exactly! 😠
Does anybody have any information about the new 10.1 update breaking integration with Savant?
Not a coder, but there may be things included in the new update that require support from a newer version of iOS.

That makes sense in terms of upgrading the ios app on ios 9 but why cant i connect with the old version of the app. it should still work as a controller. it did in 10.0 even though other app functionality was deprecated. the controller api is just json and html. FWIW the sonopad app recommendation works. Almost perfect for me but no portrait orientation.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Where can I find this new option in the desktop controller?
This feature isn't available on the desktop controller as it doesn't have access to My Sonos and only lists your Sonos Favorites.

Presumably, the term "My Sonos" still refers to:
1. A dashboard screen on the mobile controller that brings together lists of (most) favourites and local and subscription-service playlists
2. A mobile-only name for "favourites" - favourites being called "My Sonos items" on mobile controllers

I get that Sonos have two sets of controller apps with different UX. I get that Sonos don't really want to invest in the desktop app. I assume that when saying "desktop controller as it doesn't have access to My Sonos" you just mean "Recently Played screen not implemented on desktop".
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi Alan, regarding "My Sonos" it's a bit more detailed than just a new display for Favorites. You can move around the buckets, and there's a lot more flexibility. The way I think of it, Sonos Favorites were the original form of making things easier to find, and My Sonos is generation 2. There's a lot more to it, and the desktop controllers don't get the information stored there the same way.

You're correct in that Recently Played isn't implemented on the desktop controller as a field, but tracks you start playing using the desktop controller will show up in your My Sonos on mobile devices. Recently Played is system wide, for playback started by Sonos apps.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Recently Played is system wide, for playback started by Sonos apps.
No. it's not system wide. My Desktop Controller is part of my system and it doesn't display the Recently Played items.

That's correct, you're desktop controller doesn't show the items recently played, but the Recently Played section on your mobile app should show what was recently played using the desktop controller.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Hi Alan, regarding "My Sonos" it's a bit more detailed than just a new display for Favorites. You can move around the buckets, and there's a lot more flexibility. The way I think of it, Sonos Favorites were the original form of making things easier to find, and My Sonos is generation 2. There's a lot more to it, and the desktop controllers don't get the information stored there the same way.

You're correct in that Recently Played isn't implemented on the desktop controller as a field, but tracks you start playing using the desktop controller will show up in your My Sonos on mobile devices. Recently Played is system wide, for playback started by Sonos apps.

So what I take from that is that
1. "Favourites" and "My Sonos items" (as in the "Add to My Sonos" CTA) represent the same data and are the same thing (despite the different names/UI/UX)
2. The "Favourites" and "My Sonos" screens display exactly the same favourites data (results may vary for favourite Sonos playlists), but the "My Sonos" dashboard screen shows favourites, playlists, recently-played, etc.
3. Recently-played data is stored in a shared location (Sonos units or Sonos cloud accounts, it's not completely clear), it's just the display and management of recent plays that is missing from the desktop apps
4. Windows is listed as meeting the minimum requirements because the controller software still technically runs, even if it's missing some optional or (in the case of setup) core features
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I understand where you're coming from, and I'll pass along the frustration. Recently Played as a feature for My Sonos is only available on mobile controllers. If you'd like, I'll even include a request to the team to bring it to other platforms. However, it's important to keep in mind that some controllers won't be getting all new features. The CR200 can barely handle what it's currently doing, and the desktop controllers are being preserved for basic playback and controls, but they also aren't receiving all updates in the same way as mobile devices.
10.1 breaks the control from the Savant Automation system.

It broke the RTI Driver as well
I have spoken about this issue before, but I would like to see two devices in the Alexa App for the 'Sonos One' Speaker. One device for the Voice Service (Alexa) part and another for the Speaker itself.

The 'Voice Service' part can then be used to 'Enable' a single Amazon Alexa Group, or it may be taken (or show it’s status) as being 'offline' when the 'Voice Service' part is being used by another voice assistant.

The Speaker device part can then be placed in multiple Alexa groups for auto-grouping and ducking purposes and still remain online to Alexa, no matter which voice service is being used by its voice service component.

A single device does keep things nice and tidy in the Amazon App device list, but my concern is that this may limit some Sonos functionality, such as that described by SkiBuddy in the post above, who is already missing the TV (HDMI-CEC) control device that additionally allowed voice control of the Beam to switch on/off a Connected TV, from within either an Amazon Alexa 'Group' or 'Routine'.

I’m not sure some of the things mentioned here, can be achieved, if each Sonos 'component' is represented in the Amazon Alexa App list by a single device.
Badge +2
A single device does keep things nice and tidy in the Amazon App device list, but my concern is that this may limit some Sonos functionality, such as that described by SkiBuddy in the post above, who is already missing the TV (HDMI-CEC) control device that additionally allowed voice control of the Beam to switch on/off a Connected TV, from within either an Amazon Alexa 'Group' or 'Routine'.

Thank @Ken_Griffiths, your comment prompted me to look at rouitines. While the Beam TV (HDMI-CEC) is no longer visible as a device in Groups, it is present in Routines as a Smart Device. It still appears twice, 'Room_Name' as a speaker and 'Room_Name Tv' as a TV, as Smart Home devices as it used to in Groups. My two Sonos ONEs in other rooms don't show up as Smart Home devices at all, only the Beam.

So now I've created a routine to allow me to turn everything of. As a workaround/alternative it's fine. I just hope this doesn't dissappear to in a future release.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I find using smartphones to control my system is too fiddly. Sonos had a marvellous dedicated controller in the CR200 - sadly it was/is plagued by poor reliability and was too expensive.

Get a cheap Android or Amazon FIRE tablet, make sure it is on the latest supported Android version as you can find fro your acceptable price.
Thank @Ken_Griffiths, your comment prompted me to look at rouitines. While the Beam TV (HDMI-CEC) is no longer visible as a device in Groups, it is present in Routines as a Smart Device. It still appears twice, 'Room_Name' as a speaker and 'Room_Name Tv' as a TV, as Smart Home devices as it used to in Groups. My two Sonos ONEs in other rooms don't show up as Smart Home devices at all, only the Beam.

So now I've created a routine to allow me to turn everything of. As a workaround/alternative it's fine. I just hope this doesn't disappear to in a future release.
I am more than happy if things all work as we hope in the end, with just one device listed in the Alexa App. I am perhaps foreseeing a few things/issues that the developers have already considered and have other ways that users will be able to deal with them. It just seemed easy (and sensible to me, at least) to have one Alexa-listed-device to represent each separate component in a Sonos Speaker...i.e.'Voice Service'/'Speaker'/'HDMI-CEC control'.

We will just have to perhaps wait and see how the one single device representative in Alexa will pan out with the various voice control services, Alexa Groups and Routines.
I find using smartphones to control my system is too fiddly. Sonos had a marvellous dedicated controller in the CR200 - sadly it was/is plagued by poor reliability and was too expensive.A tablet is the answer. It has a bigger screen, portable and far easier to use than a desktop, CR200, or mobile. I have all those different controllers and the iPad and Android Tablets are the ones that my family and friends go for every single time.

My much-used and once-loved PC has now fallen on far dustier times since buying the iPad.
Userlevel 2
Sonos version 10.1 is now available as an update for players and controllers, with some new and exciting features.

My Sonos - Now Showing Recently Played Music

With 10.1, you’ll be able to easily see and replay the music you’ve played on your system using the Sonos app. See the 40 most recent Albums, Playlists, Stations (but not individual songs) played on Sonos using the app under a new section of My Sonos called Recently Played. This is specific to your Sonos app, and doesn't show you the music started using voice control, AirPlay, or other ways to play on Sonos. Individual entries can be removed from the Recently Played section of My Sonos to assist with curation and all entries can be easily cleared from Settings as well.

To enable and manage, go to Settings > My Sonos Settings. You’ll need to sign in to your account in the Sonos App. This feature requires some activity information to be collected as outlined in an updated Sonos Privacy Statement. Recently Played can be turned off in the same My Sonos Settings.

Also new to My Sonos, add the Line-In for any Sonos components with an input (not including TV inputs). Just go to Browse > Line-In and select the three dots beside the Line-In that you want to add to My Sonos. Don’t forget that under Room Settings > Line-In settings you can also set the name of the Line-In for each device. Using unique names allows users and control partners to maintain an alphabetized list of Line-In favorites for use with home automation systems like Control4, Lutron, iPort, etc.

Improvements to Podcast Playback

There’s now a new way to skip through your podcasts. You'll find some quick skips forward and backwards for podcast content on the Now Playing page. This feature is available starting with Pocketcasts, and will be added to other podcast sources over time. The buttons will display a number on them showing how far it’ll skip.

Alexa app improvements

Within the Alexa app, voice-enabled Sonos players will now show as one device in Alexa app. This will provide an easier view of the devices in your Alexa app.

System requirements, alerts & warnings

Minimum OS requirements
  • Android 5.0 or later
  • iOS 10 or later
  • macOS 10.11 or later
  • Windows 7 or later
Operating systems iOS 9 and Android 4.4 are no longer supported by the Sonos App. Devices running iOS 9 or Android 4.4 can no longer connect to a Sonos system.

Hi Is it possible to have personalized Recently Played? I'd like to easily restart what I was last playing rather than what someone else in my household was last playing.
YOU. CAN. REFUSE. UPDATES!!!!!

So stop saying you can't.

That's correct, you're desktop controller doesn't show the items recently played, but the Recently Played section on your mobile app should show what was recently played using the desktop controller.

Hi Ryan. This isn't the case for me. 95% of the music I play each is launched through the desktop controller. I have this new feature enabled for a day now and a dozen or so albums have been played since. It is still telling me there's no music history. I have not started anything from the iOS app yet, and have force-closed the app a couple times to see if that fixes it.