Sonos version 10.1 Now Available - Recently Played

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

102 replies

10.1 breaks the control from the Savant Automation system.

It broke the RTI Driver as well
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
the desktop controllers are being preserved for basic playback and controls, but they also aren't receiving all updates in the same way as mobile devices.
Exactly. And that's where Sonos is making a mistake. I'm using the desktop controller much more than any mobile controller and I feel neglected and therefor I'm an unhappy Sonos user.
Userlevel 6
Badge +12
I understand where you're coming from, and I'll pass along the frustration. Recently Played as a feature for My Sonos is only available on mobile controllers. If you'd like, I'll even include a request to the team to bring it to other platforms. However, it's important to keep in mind that some controllers won't be getting all new features. The CR200 can barely handle what it's currently doing, and the desktop controllers are being preserved for basic playback and controls, but they also aren't receiving all updates in the same way as mobile devices.

Hmm? The CR200 does exactly what I want - it's fine for my purposes - all I ask is that you leave installed systems as they are, UNLESS I the user decide to change things
Badge +2
“Within the Alexa app, voice-enabled Sonos players will now show as one device in Alexa app. This will provide an easier view of the devices in your Alexa app.”

This is pants. It now means the Sonos Beam TV doesn’t show as a separate smart device in the Alexa app anymore. It only shows as a smart speaker. This means you cannot create an Alex Group containing the Beam TV grouped with other Smart Devices, such as lights, anymore. I had a group called Everything that had the Beam TV and all my Hue lights in the one group. I could say Alexa turn off everything” and she would. This feature no longer works because of this update. I am very disappointed as this was really cool. Please brining it back Sonos. It’s fine to make something simpler but you’ve now broken something that was really useful. 😠
I have spoken about this issue before, but I would like to see two devices in the Alexa App for the 'Sonos One' Speaker. One device for the Voice Service (Alexa) part and another for the Speaker itself.

The 'Voice Service' part can then be used to 'Enable' a single Amazon Alexa Group, or it may be taken (or show it’s status) as being 'offline' when the 'Voice Service' part is being used by another voice assistant.

The Speaker device part can then be placed in multiple Alexa groups for auto-grouping and ducking purposes and still remain online to Alexa, no matter which voice service is being used by its voice service component.

A single device does keep things nice and tidy in the Amazon App device list, but my concern is that this may limit some Sonos functionality, such as that described by SkiBuddy in the post above, who is already missing the TV (HDMI-CEC) control device that additionally allowed voice control of the Beam to switch on/off a Connected TV, from within either an Amazon Alexa 'Group' or 'Routine'.

I’m not sure some of the things mentioned here, can be achieved, if each Sonos 'component' is represented in the Amazon Alexa App list by a single device.
Userlevel 6
Badge +12
As ever, another update which breaks Sonos for many users. One way to reduce the negative impact of unwanted/incompatible updates would be to create a 2 level menu process. For example, an update now menu item could then offer 'Yes', 'No' and 'Don't Show Again'.

Surely, this would be better than the current situation which leaves so many users with redundant controllers?
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
As ever, another update which breaks Sonos for many users. One way to reduce the negative impact of unwanted/incompatible updates would be to create a 2 level menu process. For example, an update now menu item could then offer 'Yes', 'No' and 'Don't Show Again'.

Surely, this would be better than the current situation which leaves so many users with redundant controllers?

Might solve the "forced update" issue when you get a new phone/tablet/PC that you want to run the controller on, but wouldn't you still run into issues if you want to add to or upgrade your collection of Sonos units?

Given that Sonos are steadily reducing the number of platforms they support fully (or at all), maybe Sonos needs to get back into the controller hardware game and start making their own Android tablets. After all, it's pretty clear that the preferred way to run a Sonos controller on the laptop in your home office is to "buy a cheap tablet to sit on your desk".
Badge +2
A single device does keep things nice and tidy in the Amazon App device list, but my concern is that this may limit some Sonos functionality, such as that described by SkiBuddy in the post above, who is already missing the TV (HDMI-CEC) control device that additionally allowed voice control of the Beam to switch on/off a Connected TV, from within either an Amazon Alexa 'Group' or 'Routine'.

Thank @Ken_Griffiths, your comment prompted me to look at rouitines. While the Beam TV (HDMI-CEC) is no longer visible as a device in Groups, it is present in Routines as a Smart Device. It still appears twice, 'Room_Name' as a speaker and 'Room_Name Tv' as a TV, as Smart Home devices as it used to in Groups. My two Sonos ONEs in other rooms don't show up as Smart Home devices at all, only the Beam.

So now I've created a routine to allow me to turn everything of. As a workaround/alternative it's fine. I just hope this doesn't dissappear to in a future release.
Userlevel 6
Badge +12
I find using smartphones to control my system is too fiddly. Sonos had a marvellous dedicated controller in the CR200 - sadly it was/is plagued by poor reliability and was too expensive.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I find using smartphones to control my system is too fiddly. Sonos had a marvellous dedicated controller in the CR200 - sadly it was/is plagued by poor reliability and was too expensive.

Get a cheap Android or Amazon FIRE tablet, make sure it is on the latest supported Android version as you can find fro your acceptable price.
Thank @Ken_Griffiths, your comment prompted me to look at rouitines. While the Beam TV (HDMI-CEC) is no longer visible as a device in Groups, it is present in Routines as a Smart Device. It still appears twice, 'Room_Name' as a speaker and 'Room_Name Tv' as a TV, as Smart Home devices as it used to in Groups. My two Sonos ONEs in other rooms don't show up as Smart Home devices at all, only the Beam.

So now I've created a routine to allow me to turn everything of. As a workaround/alternative it's fine. I just hope this doesn't disappear to in a future release.
I am more than happy if things all work as we hope in the end, with just one device listed in the Alexa App. I am perhaps foreseeing a few things/issues that the developers have already considered and have other ways that users will be able to deal with them. It just seemed easy (and sensible to me, at least) to have one Alexa-listed-device to represent each separate component in a Sonos Speaker...i.e.'Voice Service'/'Speaker'/'HDMI-CEC control'.

We will just have to perhaps wait and see how the one single device representative in Alexa will pan out with the various voice control services, Alexa Groups and Routines.
I find using smartphones to control my system is too fiddly. Sonos had a marvellous dedicated controller in the CR200 - sadly it was/is plagued by poor reliability and was too expensive.A tablet is the answer. It has a bigger screen, portable and far easier to use than a desktop, CR200, or mobile. I have all those different controllers and the iPad and Android Tablets are the ones that my family and friends go for every single time.

My much-used and once-loved PC has now fallen on far dustier times since buying the iPad.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
A tablet is the answer. It has a bigger screen, portable and far easier to use than a desktop, CR200, or mobile. I have all those different controllers and the iPad and Android Tablets are the ones that my family and friends go for every single time.

My much-used and once-loved PC has now fallen on far dustier times since buying the iPad.

This is the thing. The best device is often the one you have available. Sometimes that's a phone. Sometimes that's the iPad in the living room. Sometimes that's the desktop/laptop in your office. But when you do have a choice, some form factors win out over others (eg. bigger PC/tablet screen space for browsing, physical keyboard for typing search terms).

Other observation: in many modern open-plan offices, people drown out the disturbances with music through headphones. And they're often running Spotify desktop to do so even when they have their phones on them, but they'll switch back to their phones to soundtrack their commute. The one-service-many-controllers approach is alive and well.
Userlevel 6
Badge +12
I do NOT want another Android device - stupid cluttered screens of icons, endless updates, battery run-down, etc. I like dedicated controllers, or a PC sized interface. In my book Sonos can update their smartphone features adding in more features (I do NOT want) to their heart's content. All I'm asking is that they allow those of us who are happy with the system as it is to refuse updates which deactivate our existing controllers.

I have 2 Play 1s and a Beam setup as I & the family like - no intention of adding any more devices, and no need to update for features I either can't use, or don't want. It's not much to ask.
YOU. CAN. REFUSE. UPDATES!!!!!

So stop saying you can't.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Yes. Sort of. Pretty sure "it depends"...
1. You don't need to update to keep your current Sonos+controllers setup
2. Updates become a requirement whenever you change any part of your system (unless you can somehow buy a brand new Play 5 pre-loaded with Sonos 8.2, or download Sonos app v9.1 when you get a new iOS device)
You're correct in that Recently Played isn't implemented on the desktop controller as a field, but tracks you start playing using the desktop controller will show up in your My Sonos on mobile devices. Recently Played is system wide, for playback started by Sonos apps.

That's correct, you're desktop controller doesn't show the items recently played, but the Recently Played section on your mobile app should show what was recently played using the desktop controller.

Hi Ryan. This isn't the case for me. 95% of the music I play each is launched through the desktop controller. I have this new feature enabled for a day now and a dozen or so albums have been played since. It is still telling me there's no music history. I have not started anything from the iOS app yet, and have force-closed the app a couple times to see if that fixes it.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

I know I can - but only by IGNORING the Update Now button. I'm suggesting an option to confirm Yes/No/Don't Show Again. This would satisfy everyone (well, maybe most users).
Why are you so resistant to seeing someone else's point of view?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
This isn't the case for me. 95% of the music I play each is launched through the desktop controller. I have this new feature enabled for a day now and a dozen or so albums have been played since. It is still telling me there's no music history. I have not started anything from the iOS app yet, and have force-closed the app a couple times to see if that fixes it.
As a datapoint, I'm definitely seeing content that I've played via the desktop controller (Mac) appear in the Recently Played section on my iOS controllers.
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
I'm definitely seeing content that I've played via the desktop controller (Mac) appear in the Recently Played section on my iOS controllers.
Sure, but not the other way around. Sonos apparently is bringing the desktop controller to its grave and that's a foolish policy.
I don’t understand either castalla, if you are already running on version 10.0 of the software and prefer using the desktop controller, then you will not lose/gain anything by this recent update... there are no functional changes to the desktop App and it looks like there are unlikely to be any such changes for the foreseeable future.

Isn’t it just the mobile and android Apps that are changing here? I don’t see anything that will affect you and your system, as as far as I can see, though there might be some security updates and bug fixes perhaps, which are worth having anyway. It would make more sense to just accept the update in your case.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Sure, but not the other way around. Sonos apparently is bringing the desktop controller to its grave and that's a foolish policy.
That was not the question.
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
That was not the question.

There is no question. There's only a conclusion: Sonos is depreciating the desktop controller. And that's a sad conclusion.
Userlevel 6
Badge +12
I don’t understand either castalla, if you are already running on version 10.0 of the software and prefer using the desktop controller, then you will not lose/gain anything by this recent update... there are no functional changes to the desktop App and it looks like there are unlikely to be any such changes for the foreseeable future.

Isn’t it just the mobile and android Apps that are changing here? I don’t see anything that will affect you and your system, as as far as I can see, though there might be some security updates and bug fixes perhaps, which are worth having anyway. It would make more sense to just accept the update in your case.

Well, the only way I could get the Update Now button to clear was to update my CR200. So, theoretically all my controllers are on 10.1 now. That's how I'd like to freeze the system (without any more update now items suddenly appearing on the controllers).
Well, the only way I could get the Update Now button to clear was to update my CR200. So, theoretically all my controllers are on 10.1 now. That's how I'd like to freeze the system (without any more update now items suddenly appearing on the controllers).Ah, at least you are sorted for now, but I would consider future updates, particularly if they have any bug fixes, or security updates, otherwise perhaps just switch off App software and firmware updates on all your controllers. There is some good information on how to easily do that in the 'Save the CR100' thread.