Sonos version 10.1 Now Available - Recently Played

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

102 replies

I have an older iPad running iOS 9.3.5 and which cannot be upgraded to a later version of iOS. I have always used this iPad to control my Sonos system, but since today's update of the Sonos controller app it no longer runs on my iPad. Is there please any way round this? It was perfect as a Sonos controller before.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
I have an older iPad running iOS 9.3.5 and which cannot be upgraded to a later version of iOS. I have always used this iPad to control my Sonos system, but since today's update of the Sonos controller app it no longer runs on my iPad. Is there please any way round this? It was perfect as a Sonos controller before.

Ive seen Sonopad recommended which is a third party Sonos controller that has a minimum iOS of 8 IIRC. YMMV

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sonopad-for-sonos/id579984303?mt=8
Userlevel 6
Badge +12
Another damned update which I do NOT want! The blasted 'Update Now' option has suddenly appeared in my desktop controller. Why? I guess because there's no way to disable these update notifications. All my controllers are set on version 10.0. Auto updates are set to off on the android versions.

It's infuriating that there's no way to hide/remove the menu option - it just sits there like a malign scab waiting to be scratched ...

There's another gripe I have with the desktop controller - because there's no native linux version, I have to use wine. Updating means reinstalling the whole thing again in wine - a hit'n'miss process at best.

There have been 100s of posts complaining about how the controller program has developed, yet Sonos have studiously ignored all these complaints.
They do themselves no good by not listening to users.

GGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

Ive seen Sonopad recommended which is a third party Sonos controller that has a minimum iOS of 8 IIRC. YMMV

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sonopad-for-sonos/id579984303?mt=8

Thank you very much. That looks promising. I will give it a go.
Another damned update which I do NOT want! The blasted 'Update Now' option has suddenly appeared in my desktop controller. Why? I guess because there's no way to disable these update notifications. All my controllers are set on version 10.0. Auto updates are set to off on the android versions.

It's infuriating that there's no way to hide/remove the menu option - it just sits there like a malign scab waiting to be scratched ...

There's another gripe I have with the desktop controller - because there's no native linux version, I have to use wine. Updating means reinstalling the whole thing again in wine - a hit'n'miss process at best.

There have been 100s of posts complaining about how the controller program has developed, yet Sonos have studiously ignored all these complaints.
They do themselves no good by not listening to users.

GGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

The secret is to stop the app from updating on your mobile devices. Turn off auto-update on your mobile devices. Turn off update alerts in the Settings menu of each controller.

Also, you do know you don't have to update just because the reminder is there, right? It is your choice to update, either via physically choosing update, or choosing auto-updates in your mobile device's app store. You are not being forced to do anything.
Userlevel 6
Badge +12
'Turn off update alerts in the Settings menu of each controller. ' Do you mean Turn off notifications?
Hopefully my play 5 will now stop disappearing and I won't have to reboot it anymore to rejoin my network
'Turn off update alerts in the Settings menu of each controller. ' Do you mean Turn off notifications?

We've been over this before castalla. Sonos controller app for:

iOS/Android - More > Settings > Advanced Settings and turn "Auto Check for Updates" to 'Off'.

This will shut it off for all controllers, including the PC/Mac. You were previously told this as recently as last month!
Userlevel 6
Badge +12
The Autocheck is set to OFF in my android apps.!!! Still the desktop shows the Update Now menu option.

So, in theory conflicts with in practice ...
The Autocheck is set to OFF in my android apps.!!! Still the desktop shows the Update Now menu option.

So, in theory conflicts with in practice ...

That's because someone updated the hardware or controller and there is a version mismatch. Once there is a mismatch, you can't get rid of the alert without updating.

Again, we have been over this before. :8 A Sonos rep actually told you this a mere month ago. See this thread:

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/remove-update-notification-6820131
Userlevel 6
Badge +12
Someone? It wasn't me. I have studiously avoided any updates of any kind since version 10. I have 4 controllers - desktop, android 1 and 2, cr200.
The androids have auto-update OFF. There is no option in desktop or cr200 to set update prefs.
Someone? It wasn't me. I have studiously avoided any updates of any kind since version 10. I have 4 controllers - desktop, android 1 and 2, cr200.
The androids have auto-update OFF. There is no option in desktop or cr200 to set update prefs.

On the PC go to Help > About My Sonos System, check the version of hardware vs. controller.

And once again, the alert is not forcing you to update, unless you have a bit of OCD and can't stand looking at it.
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
I really don’t understand these repeated complaints about Sonos pushing out software updates.

The briefest glimpse through these forums would show people having numerous issues with bugs / glitches and others with feature requests. These fixes / features can’t be delivered without firmware upgrades.

It’s simple — you’ve bought a software driven piece of kit. It will have updates, just like your phone / tablet, your smart TV and your robot vac. If updates are not desirable, but yourself a record player and a radio. True, not all upgrades go well (mine didn’t) and if your old tablet / phone are no longer supported — well, yeah, it kinda sucks. But we’ve all been there - it’s par for the course.

Im sure just about everyone welcomes the continuous refinement of the platform. After all we’d be up in arms if it stopped tomorrow.

On this point — I agree with Jgatie ?

Andrew S
Userlevel 6
Badge +12
[quote=jgatie]
And once again, the alert is not forcing you to update, unless you have a bit of OCD and can't stand looking at it.

Exactly! 😠
Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Im sure just about everyone welcomes the continuous refinement of the platform. After all we’d be up in arms if it stopped tomorrow.

Andrew S

My system works as I want it. So, give me the choice to keep it as is. The crazy thing is the update features don't apply to the desktop.

Simple just give an option in desktop & cr200 to switch off the update notification
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Why can't sonos send us an email to the iOS app inbox WARNING:-
"
Operating systems iOS 9 and Android 4.4 are no longer supported by the Sonos App. Devices running iOS 9 or Android 4.4 can no longer connect to a Sonos system."

So we all know what will the update WILL KILL.
I was lucky this time, but next time iam sure to forget in my excitement for google assistant ;)
What is the point of the inbox if it doesn't give us useful warnings??
Does anybody have any information about the new 10.1 update breaking integration with Savant?
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Not a coder, but there may be things included in the new update that require support from a newer version of iOS.

That makes sense in terms of upgrading the ios app on ios 9 but why cant i connect with the old version of the app. it should still work as a controller. it did in 10.0 even though other app functionality was deprecated. the controller api is just json and html. FWIW the sonopad app recommendation works. Almost perfect for me but no portrait orientation.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Where can I find this new option in the desktop controller?
This feature isn't available on the desktop controller as it doesn't have access to My Sonos and only lists your Sonos Favorites.

Presumably, the term "My Sonos" still refers to:
1. A dashboard screen on the mobile controller that brings together lists of (most) favourites and local and subscription-service playlists
2. A mobile-only name for "favourites" - favourites being called "My Sonos items" on mobile controllers

I get that Sonos have two sets of controller apps with different UX. I get that Sonos don't really want to invest in the desktop app. I assume that when saying "desktop controller as it doesn't have access to My Sonos" you just mean "Recently Played screen not implemented on desktop".
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi Alan, regarding "My Sonos" it's a bit more detailed than just a new display for Favorites. You can move around the buckets, and there's a lot more flexibility. The way I think of it, Sonos Favorites were the original form of making things easier to find, and My Sonos is generation 2. There's a lot more to it, and the desktop controllers don't get the information stored there the same way.

You're correct in that Recently Played isn't implemented on the desktop controller as a field, but tracks you start playing using the desktop controller will show up in your My Sonos on mobile devices. Recently Played is system wide, for playback started by Sonos apps.
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Recently Played is system wide, for playback started by Sonos apps.
No. it's not system wide. My Desktop Controller is part of my system and it doesn't display the Recently Played items.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
No. it's not system wide. My Desktop Controller is part of my system and it doesn't display the Recently Played items.

That's correct, you're desktop controller doesn't show the items recently played, but the Recently Played section on your mobile app should show what was recently played using the desktop controller.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Hi Alan, regarding "My Sonos" it's a bit more detailed than just a new display for Favorites. You can move around the buckets, and there's a lot more flexibility. The way I think of it, Sonos Favorites were the original form of making things easier to find, and My Sonos is generation 2. There's a lot more to it, and the desktop controllers don't get the information stored there the same way.

You're correct in that Recently Played isn't implemented on the desktop controller as a field, but tracks you start playing using the desktop controller will show up in your My Sonos on mobile devices. Recently Played is system wide, for playback started by Sonos apps.

So what I take from that is that
1. "Favourites" and "My Sonos items" (as in the "Add to My Sonos" CTA) represent the same data and are the same thing (despite the different names/UI/UX)
2. The "Favourites" and "My Sonos" screens display exactly the same favourites data (results may vary for favourite Sonos playlists), but the "My Sonos" dashboard screen shows favourites, playlists, recently-played, etc.
3. Recently-played data is stored in a shared location (Sonos units or Sonos cloud accounts, it's not completely clear), it's just the display and management of recent plays that is missing from the desktop apps
4. Windows is listed as meeting the minimum requirements because the controller software still technically runs, even if it's missing some optional or (in the case of setup) core features
Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Same with CR200 controller - part of my sonos sytem but doesn't display Recently Played either.

I don't care what android and apple users get or see. I only want my controllers (desktop & cr200) to work as they are, and not be collateral damage to whatever Sonos does for smartphone users.

The software design is fundamentally flawed.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I understand where you're coming from, and I'll pass along the frustration. Recently Played as a feature for My Sonos is only available on mobile controllers. If you'd like, I'll even include a request to the team to bring it to other platforms. However, it's important to keep in mind that some controllers won't be getting all new features. The CR200 can barely handle what it's currently doing, and the desktop controllers are being preserved for basic playback and controls, but they also aren't receiving all updates in the same way as mobile devices.