Sonos One Now Supports Many More Popular Alexa Skills

Show first post

41 replies

Business reason: 100,000 more impactful (read: sales generating) things on the backlog.

I've never seen a private company discuss their legal contracts with anyone outside the company before. That might be different if they were publicly owned. But then they may have a vested interest in engaging the community that you're a part of. I can hope that you get what you're asking for.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
I'm not quite sure what Paul is trying to do, but I'm pretty sure other open source developers have created their own skills that can stream local audio to Sonos through Alexa. I haven't seen anyone here post about since Sonos got their own skill active, but I bet information about how it's done can be found on this site or somewhere on the web.

BTW, love the use of Agile terminology. I'm kind of doubtful that Sonos can use Agile very well though, since they have some hard deadlines and a lot of work with 3rd parties. Who knows.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Ryan, it doesn’t seem that Sleep Sounds on Sonos will loop indefinitely despite the description stating it does. Can you confirm if this is something Alexa on Sonos supports? Thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If I can, I'd like to vote for the millions of sports fans out there that the Westwood One Live Sports skill become available through the Sonos One. :) I tried listening to the hockey game last night and couldn't. Alexa would say "Sorry, I'm having trouble accessing your Westwood One Sports skill" when trying to play a live game or even their highlights clip. Westwood One provides radio broadcasts of the NFL, NHL, Olympics, NCAA Football and Basketball, and more. It would be AWESOME to get this through Alexa on Sonos!
Hi Chris

Many thanks for the sterling work being done by your people to bring to us Sonosophiles some of the delights of Alexa. I do not understand the technicalities, but I can imagine it is no mean-feat just keeping up with Alexa's ever expanding capabilities.

So you must be very busy. (and here it is...) However, I wonder if you could get a team to work a little more on Alexa's ability to control the Sonos multi-room environment - which I would guess is an aim for Sonos to get all users to have, rather than just one device.

For instance; it would be really really useful if Alexa could ungroup-all or group Sonos devices together? And I bet it is a common request to have Alexa transfer Sonos music from one room to another. It would be absolutely brilliant if I could have a conversation alongside the lines of; "Alexa, transfer Sonos playback from bedroom to kitchen." To which Alexa might say; "Kitchen Sonos is currently in a group. Would you like me to play to kitchen only or group?". Alexa could then separate the unit from the group or play to the group. Sounds easy I know, but I bet it involves lots of bouncing around clouds and waiting for responses. Would be nice though.

Anyway, thank you for all your hard work that brings a lot of joy to many people.

Regards.
Rob Pulver
Badge
I have a similar problem / question: IS THERE A WAY TO TELL ALEXA "PLAY XXXX on BOTH my Alexa tower AND in the Master Bedroom. Right now, I can ONLY play sonos ALONE, not combined with Alexa dot or tower.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
CAYMAN47 wrote:

I have a similar problem / question: IS THERE A WAY TO TELL ALEXA "PLAY XXXX on BOTH my Alexa tower AND in the Master Bedroom. Right now, I can ONLY play sonos ALONE, not combined with Alexa dot or tower.

There isn't currently a way to group an Alexa speaker and a Sonos speaker to play together at the same time. I'll pass along your interest in seeing it happen, but there's no news I can let you in on around it happening.

Rob Pulver wrote:

For instance; it would be really really useful if Alexa could ungroup-all or group Sonos devices together? And I bet it is a common request to have Alexa transfer Sonos music from one room to another. It would be absolutely brilliant if I could have a conversation alongside the lines of; "Alexa, transfer Sonos playback from bedroom to kitchen." To which Alexa might say; "Kitchen Sonos is currently in a group. Would you like me to play to kitchen only or group?". Alexa could then separate the unit from the group or play to the group. Sounds easy I know, but I bet it involves lots of bouncing around clouds and waiting for responses. Would be nice though.

I'll pass along the request for you too.

Corrode wrote:

Ryan, it doesn’t seem that Sleep Sounds on Sonos will loop indefinitely despite the description stating it does. Can you confirm if this is something Alexa on Sonos supports? Thanks.

Good question, the skill should be fully supported, but I don't have specifics on if that includes looping. What request are you using with Alexa? Are you trying two different commands?
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Ryan S wrote:

Corrode wrote:

Good question, the skill should be fully supported, but I don't have specifics on if that includes looping. What request are you using with Alexa? Are you trying two different commands?

Hey Ryan - Sleep Sounds notes that, by default, sounds will play indefinitely, therefore, I’m using the command “Alexa, ask Sleep Sounds to play brown noise.” Everything works except the noise stops at an interval I have yet to determine.

If you have confirmation on this, that would be great.
Synology Audio Station skill allows voice control of your own music from a Synology Nas. With the latest DSM update and the skill now available widely I set up the skill and settings. Works very well on an Amazon Echo device however Sonos One advises it it having trouble with the Audio Station skill and is unable to play music directly from my NAS. An update to Sonos would be a good way forward for many of us to use our own music and streaming to our Sonos equiptment.
Hi, I’m in Australia, every one of those newly supported skills comes up with a “You are not eligible to enable this skill due to geographical restrictions” response.

Can I not use them in Australia?
Badge +1
My top 3 wish-list features for Sonos Alexa integration:
  1. Have an Echo device like my Dot send audio by default to the Connect Amp that powers the ceiling speakers in the room where the Dot lives. Currently I have to say "Computer, play BBC Radio 6 on Kitchen"
  2. Change the wake word from "Alexa" to "computer" like on my Echo Dot
  3. Have Alexa group / ungroup my various Sonos speakers
wright552000 wrote:

Synology Audio Station skill allows voice control of your own music from a Synology Nas. With the latest DSM update and the skill now available widely I set up the skill and settings. Works very well on an Amazon Echo device however Sonos One advises it it having trouble with the Audio Station skill and is unable to play music directly from my NAS. An update to Sonos would be a good way forward for many of us to use our own music and streaming to our Sonos equiptment.

Hi
I have found I can the custom list to load the rooms and Alexa to play them. I would like to see a vocabulary list for the Sonos (skills) would assist in navigation.
Badge +1
amsquires83 wrote:

My top 3 wish-list features for Sonos Alexa integration:

1. Have an Echo device like my Dot send audio by default to the Connect Amp that powers the ceiling speakers in the room where the Dot lives. Currently I have to say "Computer, play BBC Radio 6 on Kitchen"
  2. Change the wake word from "Alexa" to "computer" like on my Echo Dot
  3. Have Alexa group / ungroup my various Sonos speakers

I’ve had Alexa since it was launched on Sonos, and only last week I discovered that I don’t have to keep saying, “Alexa play BBC 6 Music” I can just say, “Alexa play radio” and it will play the last station I played, which is always BBC 6 Music. You can imagine how this has increased my productivity. 🤣
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
List of commands https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3514?language=en_US
Sonos, please fix The Jazz Groove skill. Thanks!:)

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings