Sonos One Now Bringing in the News

Related products: Hardware News

We’re excited to bring Flash Briefings for Alexa to the Sonos One.

You can now ask Alexa for the news and get your briefing for the day from popular broadcasters. You’ll also get local weather and other news as well.

Alexa, what's my Flash Briefing?

Just make sure your Sonos players are up to date by going to the Sonos app and under Settings > Check for updates.

For full details on what the Flash Briefing is, take a look here.

You can also go into your Amazon Alexa app and adjust the Briefing under Settings > Accounts.

Amazon Alexa is available on the Sonos One in the US, UK, and Germany. We are committed to bringing Alexa voice control to Sonos in new regions in the future too.
Thanks Ryan - getting closer to full Echo functionality.
Does the Alexa skill need deleting and reinstalling?
Does the Alexa skill need deleting and reinstalling?

You shouldn't need to, it's a cloud update that should be available now. If it's not playing, try discovering devices first.
So, even though the "Discover devices" didn't find anything new, my Flash Briefing now plays after doing that. It was not working before that though.

It would be nice if the track info in the Sonos controller showed the info on what's playing, rather than "No information available"... but at least it plays. :)

Now for other skills that play audio!

Now for other skills that play audio!

Yes. Seems really odd that these didn't work from day one, as they are Alexa skills. Odder still that the Flash Briefing fix didn't fix all of them. Amazon appears to have left lots of things out of their Connected Speaker APIs...
Hi All when I ask for my flash Briefing from Sonos One Alexa says here is your flash briefing loud and clear then the volume dips and she starts the weather very low volume but then it increases until normal volume again and repeats the weather is anyone else having this.. Thanks
That's interesting Graeme, it sounds as if the Flash Briefing is ducking for a few seconds. Does this happen with any other commands? Do you have any other Alexa devices in the house other than that Sonos One?
Hi Ryan no other devices its my first Sonos lol, when i ask for the weather its perfect no drop in sound but when i ask for the flash briefing alexa when announcing the flash briefing the weather is also playing very low at the same time then it increases once shes finished saying here is your flash briefing and is back to normal, If Alexa started giving me the flash Briefing after she had finished saying here "here is the flash Briefing it probably would be perfect, lol
If you haven't tried it yet, I'd suggest that you go into the Sonos Settings > Voice and disable the services, then set them up again. See if that improves how this behaves.

If you're still having trouble, can you play the flash briefing and then submit a diagnostic from your Sonos system and reply back with your confirmation number?
If you haven't tried it yet, I'd suggest that you go into the Sonos Settings > Voice and disable the services, then set them up again. See if that improves how this behaves.

If you're still having trouble, can you play the flash briefing and then submit a diagnostic from your Sonos system and reply back with your confirmation number?

How is this any different from plugging an Echo Dot into the line out on a Play 5.? or does it only relate to one of the new Play Ones? I can already ask Alexa for my flash briefing and it will play through my Sonos Play 5 Ist Gen.....Not sure what this new “skill”actually does ?.
The skill does a lot of the same but without the Dot connected to the speaker. And the Dot can control multiple sonos speakers in the house. Remember a lot of people just have Play:1s with no input to plug a dot into.