Sonos One Gen 2 Now Available

Userlevel 7
Badge +25
  • Community Manager
  • 10939 replies
The Sonos One is getting an internal component update, which means Sonos One (Gen 2) will begin showing up in stores and websites soon if they aren't already listed. Functionally and aesthetically, you won't notice a difference between the two generations of Sonos One, and both will continue to be supported through regular updates. 

The main changes for Gen 2 are an updated processor, Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE for setup and troubleshooting), and increased memory.

You can stereo pair a Gen 2 with Gen 1, or use them together with a Sonos home theater setup as surrounds. There aren't any functionality changes between the two, and Google Assistant will be coming to both of them when we're ready to go.

35 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Ryan, if someone orders a speaker set containing Sonos Ones, will they be getting Gen 1 or Gen 2?
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
Good question, melvimbe. All of the bundles and speaker sets from Sonos.com that include a Sonos One will be shipping out a Gen 2 as of today. To get the Gen 1, you have to order à la carte.
Is this the S18?
Is this the S18?
I guess so. It's time to come to terms with the fact that the Play:3 is gone for good.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Is this the S18?

Somewhat of an anti-klimax in that case. Like the release of the beam..:S
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
I wonder what Google Integration promises they are giving with the Gen 2's, now that the Gen 1's have been obsoleted without fulfillment.... ;)

No jab at you Ryan, just venting.
Sorry, in what way have they been obsoleted? Ryan specifically states in his post Google Assistant will be coming to both of them when we're ready to go.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Sorry, in what way have they been obsoleted? Ryan specifically states in his post Google Assistant will be coming to both of them when we're ready to go.

Umm, firstly it was a clearly a tongue in cheek comment, but you knew that. Secondly, when a product or component will no longer be available and has been replaced with a next generation product, the original product is considered obsoleted. You knew that too. Nowhere did I say the eventual GI was cancelled for v1.
Userlevel 1
Badge
This is may be a rhetorical question, but what is the point of issuing new hardware for a second gen product if you have no current use for the upgrades? Would it not be better to hold off and implement newer hardware at the time you actually need it? At a glance, that seems like it would more "future proof" the product. Unless 1) the original was distributed way under-powered, or 2) there is some necessity to boost the performance in the near future (which I believe has been denied). Just trying to think through this one out loud.

I have four Ones and a Beam and love them.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Pirate - To Sonos's defense, I would imagine that the upgrade had something to do with this new Qobuz and other future high bitrate streaming applications where a more powerful processor and more ram is mission critical to help ensure a smooth, stutter free transmission. Now the BT aspect is a bit more questionable. Why integrate BT, for set up only instead of allowing BT streaming? Pretty dumb if you ask me.
Pirate, there is no point to purchasing/upgrading hardware if you don't need to. Yes, it future proofs your installation, but if you're not using that functionality now, since it doesn't exist, then there's absolutely no point. My suspicion is the extra functionality might be needed in 2 years with some new Sonos system change, but it certainly won't be an immediate issue.

I continue to use PLAY:1s, PLAY:3s, PLAY:5 gen 1, without any need to update them to Sonos Ones, or PLAY:5 gen 2s, and they all continue to perform flawlessly for me. And no, I didn't complain when Sonos added AirPlay 2, since it wasn't a feature that was included or promised when I bought those devices. Sure, I picked up a Sonos One, so I could group it with the rest of my speakers....but the original speakers continue to work in exactly the way they did when I purchased them.

I suspect there are a lot of people out there with the old ZonePlayers, too. I read recently a quote from the CEO (I think) that said that somewhere in the vicinity of 90% of all Sonos speakers sold were still in use.

If you like your install, keep it. Don't purchase anything new until you need to. It might be later this year, it could be 5 years from now, and there will be lots of new options.
mrmagloo, the BT you speak of is the Bluetooth Low Energy system, like exists in the Beam already. It's not designed for streaming music, it's designed for ease of setup only.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
mrmagloo, the BT you speak of is the Bluetooth Low Energy system, like exists in the Beam already. It's not designed for streaming music, it's designed for ease of setup only.The point is, what's the sense of going through the trouble of adding any BT, to cut corners and avoid solving an already glaring short coming.
Sonos naming protocol logic remains a puzzle. The 5 gen 2 is a completely different player and will not even pair with the gen 1; it ought to have been called a 6 or more.
This one on the other hand is said to be functionally identical with the same appearance, and will pair with the gen 1. So why the announcement? I am sure that all products go through changes in internal componentry from time to time that is never announced here.
Badge +2
Sonos naming protocol logic remains a puzzle. The 5 gen 2 is a completely different player and will not even pair with the gen 1; it ought to have been called a 6 or more.
This one on the other hand is said to be functionally identical with the same appearance, and will pair with the gen 1. So why the announcement? I am sure that all products go through changes in internal componentry from time to time that is never announced here.

Because people will notice the gen 2 and then go completely insane trying to guess what the differences are and spread false rumors about what impact that has. As usual, it is better for the company to distribute the facts in advance rather than let the rumor mill do its thing.
How would they know any difference if it wasn't called gen 2 in the first place?
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
If Sonos have recognised a future need for better processing power or increased memory, it's good they are planning ahead. If they don't release the enhanced speaker as "Gen 2" they will sooner or later get floods of "this speaker works but that one doesn't". This way, a future feature can be identified as "not available for Gen 1"

For me: I just bought some Gen 1's a few weeks ago, before Gen 2 was leaked. Am I upset the Gen 2 is now available: yes. Had I known I prob would have held off buying.

But whilst a dumb, wired speaker will last indefinitely, intelligent ones like Sonos will be evolving for a long time. I bought based on current capabilities, as should we all.

If I had dumb, wired speakers the amp/receiver/processor would be the evolving element and sooner or later that component would lack a "must-have" new feature. I wouldn't berate the amp manufacturer for including it in a new version of my amp and not back-engineering it into mine.

Well done Sonos, for planning and manufacturing for future needs.
Yes, but this is not an era of products at the planned obsolescence that has just opened. How long will our old Play1s benefit from new updates?
Yes, but this is not an era of products at the planned obsolescence that has just opened. How long will our old Play1s benefit from new updates?

Considering every Sonos player ever made still receives updates, and the only thing ever to not be updated is the 14 year old CR100 controller, I'd start to wonder about that sometime around 2027.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
As long as my antique ZP-80s keep plugging along I'll be happy.

If Sonos adds neat stuff to the new hardware they well may do more tricks like offloading the music index to the most capable devices. That is really nice when you have old and slow ZPs and Gen 1 Play 5s.
You see me reassured by your optimism. I can only wish the longest possible life for our Sonos systems
I wonder if they’ve switched from the Texas Instruments TPA-3118 to the Qualcomm DDFA chipset to improve performance and be more consistent with the Amp’s architecture.

https://www.qualcomm.com/news/onq/2017/10/04/premium-audio-quality-class-d-amplifier-more-about-qualcomm-ddfa

BTW, is there a threaded mounting socket on the back of the new One?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Pure speculation, but I would guess this has more to do with production costs than it does with future proofing the product. It's well known that Sonos saw themselves as being late to the voice control game, and wanted to get the Sonos One to the market as quick as possible. It's quite possible that they did not get the best deals in place for parts, favoring getting the product to market over getting the cost as low as possible. It's not too surprising that Sonos could get the same product out a year and half later with better quality, and cheaper parts. (Cheaper in cost, not quality).

I'm not saying the Gen 2 doesn't future proof Sonos One a bit more, but I can't see that as the primary motivator, as they likely wouldn't do this if it didn't increase profitability at the same time.
I literally bought Sonos One (Gen 1) 2 weeks ago. Should I bother exchanging my devices for Gen 2? I hate to bother but I don't want to be "phased out" while I'm just getting on board with my Sonos setup.
I wouldn't. Too much trouble to do so.

And being "phased out" wouldn't be for another 10 or 15 years, based on past performance. So far, the only devices that Sonos has "phased out" are controllers, not audio speakers of any type.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings