Sonos Now Playing with Alexa Groups

Show first post

159 replies

The original post here says that "You can also adjust the volume without having to name a room, so long as you're speaking to the microphone enabled device set up in that Alexa Group. "Alexa, turn it down/up," is all you'll need to say to adjust the volume on the Preferred Speaker."

Is the use of the singular "Preferred Speaker" deliberate here (i.e., because this only works with a group containing one Sonos speaker), or it should it work with groups containing multiple Preferred Speakers?

If it's meant to be the latter, it isn't working for me: when I say "turn it up everywhere" the volume will change only on one of the Sonos Preferred Speakers in the Alexa "everywhere" group.

Is it working for other people?
xenarthra wrote:

The original post here says that "You can also adjust the volume without having to name a room, so long as you're speaking to the microphone enabled device set up in that Alexa Group. "Alexa, turn it down/up," is all you'll need to say to adjust the volume on the Preferred Speaker."

Is the use of the singular "Preferred Speaker" deliberate here (i.e., because this only works with a group containing one Sonos speaker), or it should it work with groups containing multiple Preferred Speakers?

If it's meant to be the latter, it isn't working for me: when I say "turn it up everywhere" the volume will change only on one of the Sonos Preferred Speakers in the Alexa "everywhere" group.

The Alexa control of volume, at the moment, only applies to the one Sonos room (or main controlling room in a group situation). The main room is always the one shown at the top of the group in the Rooms Tab of the Sonos App, as I discovered recently.

There is no 'group volume control' anywhere, other than the Sonos App itself, at the moment. My guess is lots of people would like to see that change though at some point in the future.
Ken_Griffiths wrote:

The Alexa control of volume, at the moment, only applies to the one Sonos room (or main controlling room in a group situation). The main room is always the one shown at the top of the group in the Rooms Tab of the Sonos App, as I discovered recently.

There is no 'group volume control' anywhere, other than the Sonos App itself, at the moment. My guess is lots of people would like to see that change though at some point in the future.

Thanks - it's good to know I wasn't missing something obvious. The initial post led me to hope this new Alexa groups facility was going to bring voice control of grouped volume. It's certainly something I'd like to have (to be able to control the level across multiple speakers in an open-plan living area, without needing to get my phone out every time). I'll keep waiting...
xenarthra wrote:

Thanks - it's good to know I wasn't missing something obvious. The initial post led me to hope this new Alexa groups facility was going to bring voice control of grouped volume. It's certainly something I'd like to have (to be able to control the level across multiple speakers in an open-plan living area, without needing to get my phone out every time). I'll keep waiting...

Yes indeed, me too.👍
Ken_Griffiths wrote:

xenarthra wrote:

I was literally typing a new comment when I glanced up two posts and saw this... I've also discovered that attempting to control volume for the Alexa Group (which includes two rooms- a paired L&R Play 1 "Living Room" and a single Play 1 "Kitchen") only impacts the "Living Room" speakers. The other Sonos in the Alexa Group ("Kitchen") is not impacted by volume instructions placed through the Echo Dot associated with the Alexa Group.

Is this an oversight by Sonos or somehow a limitation inherent in the Alexa environment? I wouldn't think the latter?
Ken_Griffiths wrote:

The Alexa control of volume, at the moment, only applies to the one Sonos room (or main controlling room in a group situation). The main room is always the one shown at the top of the group in the Rooms Tab of the Sonos App, as I discovered recently. .

Interestingly I just discovered the opposite. For me, the main controlling room is the one listed second (bottom) in the Group within the Rooms Tab. I found this out as I also experienced the lack of being able to control the volume for both rooms within the Alexa Group and read the recent posts concerning this issue.
H22,

Did you perhaps have the rooms manually grouped together already? Try ungrouping them manually in the Sonos App 'Rooms tab' and then giving the Alexa instructions. What happens then with the volume instruction and which room is at the top of the list?
Ken_Griffiths wrote:

H22,

Did you perhaps have the rooms manually grouped together already? Try ungrouping them manually in the Sonos App 'Rooms tab' and then giving the Alexa instructions. What happens then with the volume instruction and which room is at the top of the list?

Thanks for the reply. I did, indeed, have them manually grouped together already. I ungrouped them manually, gave Alexa instructions, and the music played on all the speakers (both rooms) as the new Alexa Group feature is designed to allow. However, the volume control through Alexa is still limited to one room.

Interestingly, for me, that volume control is still associated with the room listed second (bottom). I was actually able to reverse the position of the rooms within the Sonos app/Rooms as I ungrouped and regrouped and the Alexa volume control switched to the other room now listed as second.
H22 wrote:

Ken_Griffiths wrote:

H22,

Thanks for the reply. I did, indeed, have them manually grouped together already. I ungrouped them manually, gave Alexa instructions, and the music played on all the speakers (both rooms) as the new Alexa Group feature is designed to allow. However, the volume control through Alexa is still limited to one room.

Interestingly, for me, that volume control is still associated with the room listed second (bottom). I was actually able to reverse the position of the rooms within the Sonos app/Rooms as I ungrouped and regrouped and the Alexa volume control switched to the other room now listed as second.

Ah might be one or two minor issues then with the new grouping features. I’m sure Sonos will sort them over time.

I think these new grouping/ducking features though are great and are working really well. They auto-grouping and ducking features are probably my favourite update since Sonos integrated the Amazon Alexa voice service into their system. I’m looking forward to the next few updates.

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings