Sonos Now Playing with Alexa Groups

Show first post

248 replies

Badge
this might be the wrong place for this question. but in a room with an alexa and a sonos, is it possible to set the sonos as the preferred player in that room? for example, i tell alexa "play simple man radio" i would like it to play on the sonos and not the alexa. simple man radio is a station i created on pandora, fyi.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
RottenMutt wrote:

this might be the wrong place for this question. but in a room with an alexa and a sonos, is it possible to set the sonos as the preferred player in that room? for example, i tell alexa "play simple man radio" i would like it to play on the sonos and not the alexa. simple man radio is a station i created on pandora, fyi.

Yes. For exactly how to do that, go back and read the first post of this thread.
Alexa/Apple Music finally works in the UK (on Echo speakers). Any update when this will be compatible with the Sonos One?‬

Are we waiting on Amazon or Sonos for this?
KWells1979 wrote:

Alexa/Apple Music finally works in the UK (on Echo speakers). Any update when this will be compatible with the Sonos One?‬

Are we waiting on Amazon or Sonos for this?

It would be down to all companies to introduce this, but there has not been any formal announcement from Sonos that they intend to go down this route. So we will just have to wait and see.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Only just noticed that this had been added.

I have an Echo Dot, and two Sonos Play 1s in the kitchen. I have tried to look through the posts, but has a solution/workaround been found for the BBC issue other than adding ‘tunein’ to the end of the command? I have been trying to workaround it using an Alexa routine, but when I set it to BBC 6 Music it plays Radio 4 ☹️

[Update] just done it, you have to write out the word ‘six’. I can’t set up a routine for Five Live though, for some reason. I’m happy that I can ask Alexa to ‘turn on the radio’ and 6 Music plays though ?
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Guyincognito76 wrote:

Only just noticed that this had been added.

I have an Echo Dot, and two Sonos Play 1s in the kitchen. I have tried to look through the posts, but has a solution/workaround been found for the BBC issue other than adding ‘tunein’ to the end of the command? I have been trying to workaround it using an Alexa routine, but when I set it to BBC 6 Music it plays Radio 4 ☹️

[Update] just done it, you have to write out the word ‘six’. I can’t set up a routine for Five Live though, for some reason. I’m happy that I can ask Alexa to ‘turn on the radio’ and 6 Music plays though ?

Sorted all this: The app ‘Yonomi’ works great with Sonos, and Alexa routines.
Having just setup a handful of Echo Dots, I've been trying to get everything integrated with my various Sonos components. Has anyone experienced issues where the grouping will work, but if you stop playing, and ask Alexa to play from one of the speakers in the group individually, then stop that individual speaker and ask again for the group, only the individual speaker plays and grouping isn't completed? In other words, it seems like I can get everything to group initially, but then as soon as I ungroup I can't rebuild the group by playing music to that group name. I assume my setup is correct since I'm initially able to get the group to play, and can actually watch that occur real-time. For verification, I have a group called "downstairs" with Sonos players Kitchen, Dining Room, Cafe, and Family Room. In that group are the sonos speakers and each of them are set as the preferred speaker. I've both assigned a Dot to the group and left it without one.

Another quirk is once this issue starts, if I try to play directly to another individual speaker it sticks with whatever I chose when I first ungrouped. So for example if I successfully play to the group, stop and ungroup by playing to the "cafe speaker", then stop that one and try playing to the "family room" speaker, music will play on the cafe speaker again. The alexa app initially shows that it's playing to the Family Room (when in reality sound is only coming out of the cafe), but then will eventually refresh and show correctly that it's paying from Cafe even though I requested, and it acknowledged) family room.

I've tried unlinking and relinking the Sonos skill which fixes this for the first attempt, but then the above behavior resumes.
alwaysworkin,

I have an Alex Group called LOUNGE.
It has two Sonos Rooms 'preferred' called “Family Room” (stereo pair Play: 5’s) & “Fireplace” (stereo pair Play: 1’s)
The Group is 'Enabled” by an echo dot called “Echo Dot Back Room

With all speakers ungrouped, here is what happens (speaking to the Echo dot)...

“Alexa, play some music” ... the two Sonos rooms group together automatically and play some random playlist.
Alexa, stop” ... the music stops playing.
“Alexa, play some Music on the Family Room” ... the Family Room (Play: 5’s only) breaks away from the group and plays some different' random playlist.
“Alexa, stop” ... the music stops playing.
“Alexa, play some music” ... the two Sonos rooms group together again automatically and they all play some random playlist.

So it seems okay here, is there anything else that I can perhaps try to assist you?
Thanks for the quick response. For some reason my setup fails when I get to your last step of “Alexa, Play some music”. When I do this. The group is not automatically grouped and instead music only plays on the individual speaker I had asked for when everything was ungrouped. What’s strange is that Alexa confirms the group was requested. In other words, if I state “Alexa, Play some music” from one of the dots in the group Alex responds “Playing station through Sonos”, or if I make the request from another Dot by stating “Alexa, Play music downstairs”, Alexa responds “Playing station on Downstairs”. So it seems like Alexa is getting the command properly, but for some reason the re-grouping never happens and the play back just uses the most recent individual speaker I requested.

Any other things I can try? Thanks again for the help.
Alwaysworkin wrote:

Thanks for the quick response. For some reason my setup fails when I get to your last step of “Alexa, Play some music”. When I do this. The group is not automatically grouped and instead music only plays on the individual speaker I had asked for when everything was ungrouped. What’s strange is that Alexa confirms the group was requested. In other words, if I state “Alexa, Play some music” from one of the dots in the group Alex responds “Playing station through Sonos”, or if I make the request from another Dot by stating “Alexa, Play music downstairs”, Alexa responds “Playing station on Downstairs”. So it seems like Alexa is getting the command properly, but for some reason the re-grouping never happens and the play back just uses the most recent individual speaker I requested.

Any other things I can try? Thanks again for the help.

Possibly a bug, perhaps? Maybe the Staff here will have a look at your Diagnostic to see what it reveals. Hope you get it sorted soon.?
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
It sounds like it might be best to get a closer look at the groups you have made. I'm wondering if there's an Alexa device that's not in the group or duplicate groups where that "Alexa, play some music.," isn't triggering a grouping command. That command should be sent if the Alexa device you ask is set up as the input of a group of Sonos preferred speakers, and if none of those speakers are currently playing anything else.

If that's the case, and it's not happening, I'd suggest that you contact the support team directly so that they can take a closer look at what's happening.
Hi. I just got 2 Sonos Ones and am having trouble getting both to play Spotify simultaneously using Alexa.

Setup: One Sonos account, 2 users (lets call them A and 😎 with individual Amazon accounts and separate Spotify accounts.

Room A has a Sonos One linked with Alexa from Amazon account A, which in turn is linked with Spotify account A.

Room B has the same setup, except that it is linked with B’s Amazon and Spotify accounts. Rooms A and B are separate rooms in the Sonos app.

Issue: When I’m in room A and say “Alexa, play music” it (correctly) starts playing only in room A, but when I then go to room B and say “Alexa, play music” the music (correctly) starts playing in room B, but the music in room A stops at the same time.

I’ve tried adding “... in room A/B” to the verbal command, but that doesn’t work. Would Alexa groups allow for this to work? Would I have to add both devices to the same amazon alexa account in that case?

Any help in resolving this would be greatly appreciated!
Monty99,

Yes the speakers need to be in the same Alex 'Enabled' Group and both must be set as the 'preferred' speaker ... if you enable the group in the first section with both speakers, then both their voice assistants will automatically control and group the speakers together and play. They should also 'duck' their audio when speaking to either device.
Ken_Griffiths wrote:

Monty99,

Yes the speakers need to be in the same Alex 'Enabled' Group and both must be set as the 'preferred' speaker ... if you enable the group in the first section with both speakers, then both their voice assistants will automatically control and group the speakers together and play. They should also 'duck' their audio when speaking to either device.

Many thanks for the quick response, Ken.

Maybe I didn’t explain my issue clearly enough. You suggest that I put both speakers in the same group so that they play together and “duck” when speaking to either device.

As I understand it, this is the exact opposite of what I want. I want two separate people (with two separate amazon and spotify accounts) to each be able to use Alexa simultaneously to play music from their speaker in their room without it affecting the other person. Wouldn’t they need to be in separate groups? Also: Since each speaker is linked with different Alexa accounts (so they can play from two separate Spotify accounts) would I need to create the same Alexa groups on both accounts? I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around this.
Monty99 wrote:

As I understand it, this is the exact opposite of what I want. I want two separate people (with two separate amazon and spotify accounts) to each be able to use Alexa simultaneously to play music from their speaker in their room without it affecting the other person. Wouldn’t they need to be in separate groups? Also: Since each speaker is linked with different Alexa accounts (so they can play from two separate Spotify accounts) would I need to create the same Alexa groups on both accounts? I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around this.

I'm really sorry Monty99, if you have two separate speakers operating entirely independently of each other, then I don’t understand why you are posting here in a thread, which is entirely related to the “Alexa Enabled Grouping” of speakers... if you are not wanting to group the two, then simply ignore the Alexa grouping feature altogether.

I’m afraid you may have confused me initially, as to what you are trying to achieve here... Please note you do not have to group the speakers at all, nor use “Alexa Enabled Groups”, if you prefer to operate the two speakers independently of each other?

Are you perhaps not talking about “Alexa Grouping”, but really mean two independent and separate Sonos audio “household” setups instead?

If so, you can continue to use two Amazon Accounts and two separate Spotify accounts (these can be family accounts), but I would perhaps choose to set them up on two different and separate Sonos 'Households', on the same wifi network, each with their own separate Sonos Controllers, as briefly discussed in these few links...

https://en.community.sonos.com/setting-up-sonos-228990/multiple-sonos-systems-in-one-house-41678

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/multiple-households-6192685

https://en.community.sonos.com/setting-up-sonos-228990/different-sonos-in-different-households-6739560

https://en.community.sonos.com/setting-up-sonos-228990/splitting-sonos-system-into-multiple-households-27767

In real and simple terms, you just need to setup each speaker system with a separate Sonos controller device as though they are a brand new system, starting out for the first time.

To do that, one of your Speaker setups may need to be factory reset and setup again from scratch using its own Sonos Controller App.

Hope that helps you achieve what I believe you are looking for here.?
Thank you for your helpful answer and continued patience over my confusion, Ken.

The reason I’m posting on this thread is that the initial post by Ryan S led me to believe that I could put each speaker/bedroom in a separate alexa group and so when I e.g in room A say “alexa, play music” it would know (because of the grouping) to ONLY play music in room A and leave whatever is playing in room B (which would belong to a different group) alone.

This is not happening with my current setup - whenever Alexa is asked to play music in one room, the music in the other room (which Alexa in that room was asked to play) stops. So I can’t seem to be able to use Alexa simultaneously in both rooms to play music from Spotify.

Thanks for suggesting setting up two households. That’s my fallback option if all else fails. I’d really prefer to be able to use just one controller so thought I’d try troubleshooting that first.
Monty99 wrote:

Thank you for your helpful answer and continued patience over my confusion, Ken.

The reason I’m posting on this thread is that the initial post by Ryan S led me to believe that I could put each speaker/bedroom in a separate alexa group and so when I e.g in room A say “alexa, play music” it would know (because of the grouping) to ONLY play music in room A and leave whatever is playing in room B (which would belong to a different group) alone.

This is not happening with my current setup - whenever Alexa is asked to play music in one room, the music in the other room (which Alexa in that room was asked to play) stops. So I can’t seem to be able to use Alexa simultaneously in both rooms to play music from Spotify.

Thanks for suggesting setting up two households. That’s my fallback option if all else fails. I’d really prefer to be able to use just one controller so thought I’d try troubleshooting that first.

In some ways what Ryan is saying is true aswell, but that is if you play your music from different audio accounts.

Using voice control, you can only play one audio stream per MSP (Music Service Provider) account... so you could actually setup two separate music service accounts, even from the same provider, or from another separate streaming service. This is a good way to achieve the outcome you’re after ... see this document link, which explains how to setup and use multiple MSP accounts. (See section “Adding Multiple Accounts for a Music Service)...

How to add a music service to Sonos

Note: the limitation applies to voice controlling playback from an MSP. The Sonos Controller App itself may allow you to play more than one stream from the same service at the same time and you can definitely play two separate streams (or more) from different MSP's....
Monty99,

So if you have two Spotify 'family' accounts installed in the one controller and 'household', then you can play music from one Spotify account on speaker 1 and music from the other Spotify account on speaker 2, both at the same time using Alexa voice services. Just make sure you start the playback on each speaker from the separate spotify account (the accounts are usually held in separate 'Amazon Household' Family Profiles).

Note however the Sonos App software in any case 'should' allow (separate stream) playback on both speakers from one Spotify account at the same time... you just cannot initiate two playback streams from the same Spotify account using Alexa voice control.

I hope that clarifies things a little better for you?
Thanks again, Ken.

I already have the two different Spotify family accounts setup within the Sonos app and I have no trouble playing from them to the two different rooms using the controller. The problem is in trying to use Alexa to control both speakers at the same time.

Ken_Griffiths wrote:

you just cannot initiate two playback streams from the same Spotify account using Alexa voice control.

I think this is the primary issue. Even though I have the two different Spotify accounts inside the Sonos app, when I open the Alexa app, I can only link the app to one specific Spotify account. So whenever I use voice control in either room, it starts playing from this specific Spotify account and this disrupts playback in the other room.

I thought the solution to this would be to link each speaker with a dedicated Amazon Alexa account, i.e. so I'd have two "different" Alexas. Then within each Alexa account, I could link to the different Spotify accounts. The Sonos app allows me to do this - e.g. when I go to the Sonos app, Settings -> Room A under "voice services" it says "Amazon Alexa, signed in as User A". Under Settings -> Room B it says "Amazon Alexa, signed in as User B".

However, this isn't working. And this thread I came across seems to suggest why:

https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/alexa-sonos-one-spotify-6819557

According to it, each Sonos account can only be linked to one Alexa account. Could you perhaps confirm if this is the case? If this is the case, then the two "different" Alexas approach is a non-starter. So this brings me back to Alexa Groups and my hope that they are the solution to my problems. However, I'd have to have a way for each group to have a dedicated Spotify account.. otherwise they will be trying to play from the same account. So unless I'm missing something, you can't use Alexa to play music from Spotify at the same time in two different rooms. Right?
So, I seem to have missed the following text from you

Ken_Griffiths wrote:

Just make sure you start the playback on each speaker from the separate spotify account (the accounts are usually held in separate 'Amazon Household' Family Profiles).

If I can do this, then my problems are solved. I am going to try to set up an Amazon family profile. One question: Could you please explain how I start the playback on each speaker from a specific account? Do I have to say "Alexa, play music from account A" or what?
Monty99 wrote:

So, I seem to have missed the following text from you

Ken_Griffiths wrote:

Just make sure you start the playback on each speaker from the separate spotify account (the accounts are usually held in separate 'Amazon Household' Family Profiles).

If I can do this, then my problems are solved. I am going to try to set up an Amazon family profile. One question: Could you please explain how I start the playback on each speaker from a specific account? Do I have to say "Alexa, play music from account A" or what?

Just as an example, when you install the Spotify accounts in the Sonos App you have to give each one a nickname .. example “Ken's Spotify” / “Monty's Spotify”.

“Alexa, play some music from Ken's Spotify”

“Alexa, play some music from Monty's Spotify”

If you go onto create separate Amazon Family Profiles .. you can say “Alexa, switch to Ken's Profile” ...(just as an example) this will auto switch Alexa on Sonos to use the 'Now' default Alexa and Spotify music account in Ken's Amazon Alexa App (eg. Ken's Spotify) so no need then to mention the music source in the utterances

Meanwhile the other speaker will need to be set to “Monty's” Alexa Profile ...

So without the Amazon Family profiles setup, you will need to state the nickname of the Spotify Music service as per the Sonos App.

With the Amazon Family profiles setup, you should not need to state the Spotify account nickname, but remember to set the different Spotify music service account as default in each users respective Amazon Alexa Apps.

Hope that all makes sense to you.?
Badge +1
Wow, I can’t believe I’m 4 months late to the party!!! This is awesome!!! Way better integration and so much more natural!

So glad I checked my Sonos message inbox!

Thank you Sonos team!
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Is there some way I can get the dot to play a radio.com station on my Play::1? It always plays it on the Dot’s speaker. I can’t get it to go to the sonos. If I say play an artist, it plays amazon music on the sonos fine without saying the room.

It seems in General, radio.com has been an issue. The station used to be on tunein and worked fine then it was moved.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings