Sonos Architectural Now Available

• 26 February 2019
  • 28 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

28 replies

Most of the information you're looking for is here: Setting up Amp or CONNECT:AMP as surround speakers

Currently, Sonos does not support Dolby Atmos.
Yes.

Yes.

And yes. However, when using one Amp, you will not have individual room volume control via the app. You would need to wire in some hardware volume controls.
@Ryan S I just got the architectural ceiling speakers. They come with a cardboard template for cutting a hole in the ceiling, with these instructions:
  1. Perform an obstruction survey…
  2. Position this template…
  3. Cut the mounting hole…
  4. Proceed with installation
I feel like step 4 there is a bit too abstract, but it does then say: "For more information, see the product guide at www.sonos.com."

I'd like to see that guide, in hopes that it says something about how to do the installation.

Over on Twitter, support tells me that I should get the documentation from Sonance. Sonance's web site shows more than one "architectural series" variant of speaker, which I guess is what we're talking about, but I don't know which, and it looks like they sell "patented mounting platforms" for those speakers… at least one version of those looks to cost $300 *per speaker*. Ouch.

The template also references "roto-lock clamps" and a search for "roto-lock speaker" got me to this documentation, which may or may not be the same speaker but I think explains what the rotor-lock clamps do. So it looks like "proceed with installation" means:
  1. Insert speaker into the hole
  2. Turn some screws
That's pretty simple, but not obvious if all you have is the template, a pair speakers, and a reference to documentation that might not exist. I suggest steps 5 and 6 be added to the template, at least.

Note also that I saw on a YouTube review that you can angle the speakers, which seems like a nice feature, but that is also not mentioned anywhere, so perhaps there is more than the above that needs documentation.