Sonos Architectural Now Available

Related products: Hardware News

Available today, experience all around sound with Sonos Architectural by Sonance, a collection of installed wired speakers optimized for the new Sonos Amp. In-Ceiling and In-Wall are now available, bringing new and exciting options for customizing your home's sound.

These speakers are the result of collaboration between Sonos and Sonance to make architectural sound smarter and more connected through software, providing a complete solution for professionally installed sound. When you pair Sonos Architectural speakers with Amp, you unlock all the benefits of the Sonos system: including Trueplay (for the In-Ceiling and In-Wall speakers), Apple AirPlay 2, multi-room playback, voice control with Alexa (and Google Assistant later this year), and more, all in a regularly updating and easy-to-use system that works with all your favorite streaming services.

Sonos In-Wall by Sonance

In-Wall speakers offer the benefits of flush mounting, low profile design and Trueplay when used with a Sonos Amp. Built to be placed into the wall, you can mount these on either side of a TV or other room feature, for focused listening, experience bold, immersive sound for TV and more.

Sonos In-Ceiling by Sonance

Along with the In-Wall speakers, In-Ceiling speakers, bring flush mounting, low profile design, and Trueplay when used with a Sonos Amp. Enjoy crystal clear sound for comfortable ambient listening from anywhere in the room.

Sonos Outdoor by Sonance

Enjoy rich sound outside the home with installed wired speakers. These speakers are able to stand up to the elements while broadcasting great sound outdoors. Pair them with the Sonos Amp to unlock their full potential. Find out more and sign up for notifications here.

In-Wall and In-Ceiling speakers are available now in the Americas, Australia, and New Zealand, and will be available in the rest of the world in March. The Outdoor speaker model is coming soon worldwide.
How many pairs of these speakers will one Sonos amp drive?
How many pairs of these speakers will one Sonos amp drive?

Up to 3 pairs of these speakers of the same type can be connected to a Sonos Amp.
Ryan, is there a chance that this line of products could be expanded to provide some less expensive options? Although I'm sure there is a market for architectural speakers in this price range, there certainly is a market for lower cost options.

I get there is reasonably a premium for the sound quality and trueplay tuning, but considering that Sonos has much less expensive speakers in their lineup that also have trueplay tuning, it seems like there is a part of the market that is left out with these options.

Probably not a question you can answer, but I thought I'd put it out their anyway.
"Enjoy rich sound outside the home with installed wired speakers. These speakers are able to stand up to the elements while broadcasting great sound outdoors." Have to admit, very disappointed in Sonos' direction to wired speakers, particularly with outdoor speakers which your existing customers have been clamoring for the "wireless" version of.
"Enjoy rich sound outside the home with installed wired speakers. These speakers are able to stand up to the elements while broadcasting great sound outdoors." Have to admit, very disappointed in Sonos' direction to wired speakers, particularly with outdoor speakers which your existing customers have been clamoring for the "wireless" version of.

Just my opinion, but I don't see this as a new direction so much as an opportunity Sonos is taking advantage of. There are a lot of professional installers and customers who want to integrate in-ceiling/wall and outdoor speakers into their Sonos system. So some other company was getting the business for these speakers instead of Sonos. Partnering with Sonance on this is an easy win (although I do think there needs to be more economical options). I don't think Sonos is moving away from powered speakers.
Ryan, is there a chance that this line of products could be expanded to provide some less expensive options? As you said, I don't have any specifics that can be shared. I'll pass along the request.

We're always looking to add more to the Sonos line up, these architectural speakers are a great step outdoors for an installed solution. I'll pass along your interest in a wireless outside speaker. Thanks for asking!
Very interesting. Two questions if anyone can help. How could I run the ceiling speakers as part of a home cinema alongside my playbar and sub? How would I connect the amp into this.

Would this system support Dolby Atmos or just 5.1. Thanks everyone.
Most of the information you're looking for is here: Setting up Amp or CONNECT:AMP as surround speakers

Currently, Sonos does not support Dolby Atmos.
@Ryan S: I can't find any installation instructions in the box or on the web site. Are there any?
Did you look at the manufacturer's webiste? Sonos is just a reselling partner, and probably wouldn't be posting them.
@Ryan S: I can't find any installation instructions in the box or on the web site. Are there any?

Hi, there are some available. Which speaker are you working with? Anything specific you need, or just general install guides?
@Ryan S I just got the architectural ceiling speakers. They come with a cardboard template for cutting a hole in the ceiling, with these instructions:

1. Perform an obstruction survey…

2. Position this template…

3. Cut the mounting hole…

4. Proceed with installation

I feel like step 4 there is a bit too abstract, but it does then say: "For more information, see the product guide at www.sonos.com."

I'd like to see that guide, in hopes that it says something about how to do the installation.

Over on Twitter, support tells me that I should get the documentation from Sonance. Sonance's web site shows more than one "architectural series" variant of speaker, which I guess is what we're talking about, but I don't know which, and it looks like they sell "patented mounting platforms" for those speakers… at least one version of those looks to cost $300 *per speaker*. Ouch.

The template also references "roto-lock clamps" and a search for "roto-lock speaker" got me to this documentation, which may or may not be the same speaker but I think explains what the rotor-lock clamps do. So it looks like "proceed with installation" means:

1. Insert speaker into the hole

2. Turn some screws

That's pretty simple, but not obvious if all you have is the template, a pair speakers, and a reference to documentation that might not exist. I suggest steps 5 and 6 be added to the template, at least.

Note also that I saw on a YouTube review that you can angle the speakers, which seems like a nice feature, but that is also not mentioned anywhere, so perhaps there is more than the above that needs documentation.
For the ceiling speakers, this may be what you're looking for. I'll add the ones for the other models too in case someone's looking for them.
@Ryan S Perfect, thanks!
Hi,

How many pairs of these speakers will one Sonos amp drive?Up to 3 pairs of these speakers of the same type can be connected to a Sonos Amp.

I am currently doing an installation for a restaurant and I am interested in using the Sonos In-Ceiling Speakers with the Sonos Amp. The restaurant consists of three rooms with capacity of 100 - 120 for Room 1 (Bar), 140 - 160 for Room 2 and 120 - 140 for Room 3 respectively.

If I use two pairs of speakers for each room will I require 3 amps? If so will I be able to link each amp to play the same audio to each room and control each one with the app?

If I use a single pair of speakers for each room then I'll require 1 amp right?
Yes.

Yes.

And yes. However, when using one Amp, you will not have individual room volume control via the app. You would need to wire in some hardware volume controls.
Awesome thank you for your response!
Yes.

Yes.

And yes. However, when using one Amp, you will not have individual room volume control via the app. You would need to wire in some hardware volume controls.

I'm not quite sure I understand why there wouldn't be individual room control via the amp? Wouldn't the OP set up each amp as a Sonos Room, and then group the three rooms into a single zone to control the volume?

Yes.

Yes.

I'm not quite sure I understand why there wouldn't be individual room control via the amp? Wouldn't the OP set up each amp as a Sonos Room, and then group the three rooms into a single zone to control the volume?

The poster gave two scenarios; using 3 Amps with 2 pairs to each room, and using one Amp with 3 pairs to 3 rooms. The "no individual volume controls" applied to the one Amp scenario (as stated).
@Ryan S hi - I’m a bit confused - are all three types of architectural speakers (In-wall, in-ceiling and outdoor) all wired? Meaning to connect to the sonos amp I would have to run traditional speaker wire like a pair of bookshelf speakers?

i currently use our sonos amp in a winery bottle shop, and have a turntable and a pair of (wired) bookshelf speakers attached to it in the same room. I was hoping to add a second room by installing a pair of in-ceiling and connecting via wifi to the amp. And then a pair of outdoor speakers in the cellar (or patio) and also connect via wifi. Is this possible? I would prefer to not run speaker wire through the building as it’s not a new build.

Please let me know -

appreciate the help
Yes, all of the Sonance speakers are wired. None of them have either a power supply or a Sonos “processor” inside.
ok- so there is no difference between them and traditional built in speakers.

i knew a power would need to be delivered to them which is simpler then running speaker wire in my situation.

interesting.
Well, technically, since they were designed with Sonos' input in some fashion, if you use specific ones (I don't think all three have the feature), you can use TruePlay with them (some of them?).

My perception is that they're higher than average in cost, but I've got no experience to say whether their quality is above average or not. And you'd need to assess the value of using TruePlay.

All that caveat-ing (is that a word?) being said, they'd probably be the first in wall speakers I'd be looking at, if I were in the position to be purchasing. And I'd compare them against other things, and weigh all the factors that *I* find important.. Which may not be the same as yours 🙂
Hi Will, as Airgetlam said, they're all wired speakers, designed by Sonance and Sonos to work with the Sonos Amp. The in-wall and in-ceiling speakers are designed with Trueplay in mind. Using them with a Sonos Amp will allow you to Trueplay them for the room they're in.

ok- so there is no difference between them and traditional built in speakers.

i knew a power would need to be delivered to them which is simpler then running speaker wire in my situation.

For the Sonos Architectural speakers, you just need to run speaker wire to them (not standard power), which will go back to the Sonos Amp. They are "traditional built in speakers", but have been designed specifically for the Sonos Amp.

Sonos says that you can use up to three pairs of Sonance Architectual speakers with the Sonos Amp.  How is this possible if there are only two ports for one pair of speakers on the Sonos Amp?  Do you need to use three different Sonos Amps to attach each of the three pairs?