Sonos 9.3 Now Available

• 28 November 2018
  • 94 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
  • Community Manager
  • 12104 replies
Sonos version 9.3 is now available with performance and reliability improvements for Sonos systems.  

Automatic updates were added to Sonos systems as an option in version 9.2, if you've set them up, your players will be able to keep up to date without you needing to take any action. 

System requirements, alerts & warnings

Minimum OS requirements
  • Android 5.0 or later
  • iOS 10 or later
  • macOS 10.11 or later
  • Windows 7 or later
Operating systems iOS 9 and Android 4.x are now partially supported by the Sonos App. Devices running iOS 9 or Android 4.x can still browse, search and play music using this version of the Sonos app. Less common tasks like adding new speakers, modifying music services, or setting up a new Sonos system require Android 5.0 or higher, or iOS 10 or higher.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

94 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
So, Ryan S, that’s the type of thing that would be useful to put into those “release notes.”

Or maybe stop calling them release notes.
Why anyone who worries about the 65,000 limit would not make an effort to actually get 65,000 is quite puzzling.

Isn't the "worry" about the limit actually that we have no idea how full our Sonos systems are, Sonos don't provide any kind of "percentage used" indicator (other than maybe a "we tell you when it's full up" error message), and the 65K limit isn't very reliable (so you can't even just get the properties of your media folder and use the number of files as a rough guide)?

Taking away our only means of checking the store free certainly didn't help matters - the only way you know where you are now is when the system fails to index new CDs. Not a very professional approach, IMHO - but what I've come to expect from Sonos.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Has the http://IP_ADDRESS:1400/reboot link been blocked with this update? I'm getting a 403 (Forbidden) error when trying to access that link on all of my Sonos speakers.

Yet another piece of existing functionality removed. Shaking my head after every 9+ update.

Hey Sonos - any alternatives to reboot of speakers? I need to do this at least once per week to get Spotify Connect back to functioning. I am not able to access the AC power to manually unplug.

And before the others comment - I use static IP addresses for all speakers.
Badge
Blind and vision impaired individuals use Apple technology called voice-over to access various elements of the Sonos interface. Starting with this version 9.3, under rooms the group selection for each room is broken so I’m unable to tell what rooms are selected or deselected with voice or brail using the inbuilt voice-over screen reader. This is a major accessibility and usability issue for many thousands of people Who are blind and low vision and specifically chose the platform for your great accessibility support. Please could you look into this? I’m sure it was an accidental regression in this version but QA should have picked this up as accessibility is a major thing for thousands of people around the world.
Just imagine as a sighted person if you updated your controller and then couldn’t see which rooms were selected. It would render system and its main selling points somewhat less valuable.
Thanks for any help in this regard.
Many of the hidden web server pages on Sonos devices have been removed over time, this includes the reboot page. I'll let the team know you're missing it, and that you'd like to see something made available in the future to reboot Sonos devices.

Years ago they removed the ability to see what the track count was in my local library. They claimed at the time it was a security risk. I'm still waiting for that to come back because it was very helpful in maintaining my large local library because they have done nothing about the 65,000 limit.
Taking away our only means of checking the store free certainly didn't help matters - the only way you know where you are now is when the system fails to index new CDs. Not a very professional approach, IMHO - but what I've come to expect from Sonos.

Right on.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10

True, I can't think of a single other device I own (eg. PC, PVR, console, phone, tablet) where storage could be an issue but there's no storage indicator. Even if Sonos are moving away from "we don't care if you rent or buy your music or both" to "we only care about streaming subscribers", right now Sonos is a system that claims to work out-of-the-box with your local library. Except for the storage limitations, of course...
Userlevel 4
Those aren't release notes. It's a release announcement. This is what release notes look like: https://www.freebsd.org/releases/11.2R/relnotes.html.

What did you actually change?
Userlevel 4
Those aren't release notes. It's a release announcement. This is what release notes look like: https://www.freebsd.org/releases/11.2R/relnotes.html.

What did you actually change?

Are you saying that FreeBSD produce that type of document each time that there are a few bug fixes behind the scenes

Yes, for every release. And not just FreeBSD. Every professional software engineering organisation does this. I can assure you that Sonos will be doing it too internally, because failure to do so would be grossly unprofessional. Sadly they are not publishing them.

What Sonos's PR frontline is labelling "Release notes" just isn't.

and they expect their users to read through them
No, professional software developers also produce summary release announcements for people like you with limited reading capacity, and will kick out other more detailed documentation besides.

Sonos "release notes" are a stripped-down release announcement.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Has the http://IP_ADDRESS:1400/reboot link been blocked with this update? I'm getting a 403 (Forbidden) error when trying to access that link on all of my Sonos speakers.
Looks like it. That's a pain.
I can't think of a single other device I own (eg. PC, PVR, console, phone, tablet) where storage could be an issue but there's no storage indicator.
Couldn't agree more... Thankfully, no-one else seems to subscribe to the Sonos school of UI design...
There is also a short discussion (disclosure: started by me) of the loss of the Sonos reboot functionality in the Reddit Eero group. https://www.reddit.com/r/eero/comments/a2vtj9/warning_if_you_update_your_sonos_players_to_93/
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Stuart_W, let me explain better: Regardless of Smartphone volatility, the commands going from/to the audio system could be the same for a long time, expanded if required but with the existing ones still working. Old App/OS pairs and brand new ones and all in between could run in parallel. The audio system would not need to know who it is talking to. I mean, what else do I need beyond the functions the old CR100 already had? Nicer HMI with fancy graphics on the latest gadget could be accommodated without making working remotes obsolete.
Plus, what would speak against having a web browser interface? This is how independence is achieved in other industries.

The only examples of Sonos removing functionality are the recent update that removed functionality from the desktop controller - this doesn't apper to have been forced on Sonos but rather is a decision they have made based on their own vision of where they see the path of their product. I and many others consider this to be short-sighted.
The only case where features are not available on a mobile controller is when there is a version mis-match between the Sonos units and the app on the controller - this may be as a result of the controller not having been updated or it is a now un-supported OS uon which the latest software cannot be loaded. As I said I'm quite sure Sonos would love to be in a poistion to offer apps that would install and run on all OS but this isn't in their gift or control (people have suggested they keep a database of old controller/Sonos firmware software available but this would seem vanishingly unlikely as if they did this they would need to also support them all).

I do understand what you're saying. The point is that it really isn't in Sonos' control (except the recent desktop functionality grab which as I have said seems to be a mis-step from Sonos)
Userlevel 2
Badge
Many of the hidden web server pages on Sonos devices have been removed over time, this includes the reboot page. I'll let the team know you're missing it, and that you'd like to see something made available in the future to reboot Sonos devices.

Reboots shouldn't be needed with any significant frequency, so if you find that you do have issues that require reboots on the regular, it may be good to contact our support team for assistance.

Sonos! For the love of all that is good... PLEASE - replace the remote reboot functionality that you removed in this release. You say this should not be needed. However, a few times each week I must power cycle the players to get them to show up again as Spotify Connect devices. Once I do, the players magically appear in Spotify, and all is good again. My players are in strategic places, so unplugging is NOT easy. If I do unplug to recycle, the Spotify Connect devices come back again. BUT this is a huge hassle, and something that I always handled via your reboot page (as directed by Sonos in old posts). Reboot always fixed this issue, in about 10 seconds.

Please! I will be willing to send gift cards or other bribes in return.

Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
We are on version 10.2 so don't think this thread will get much notice.
Have a look at the latest and maybe add your voice?
https://en.community.sonos.com/wireless-speakers-228992/reboot-speakers-6826160

Another option is to have a cheap wireless switch on each of your sonos power outlets?
Userlevel 7
OK...Mr Ryan_S :8 I probably missed it but where can I find the particulars on the 9.3 update. I'm away from my Sonos at the moment. Curious minds want to know.:?

Cheers!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi AjTrek1, the release notes are also here but I'll save you the click, they're above too. This update has some specific fixes and performance improvements, but no major features that we're highlighting at this time. You might notice that the process to reconnect a single Sonos player if you've replaced a router has been improved, as well as a few other fixes/improvements.

Then is the lock screen controls coming back to us that does not have the devices which support Airplay 2? And turning off Airplay on the Apple TV is not a solution!
The lockscreen controls for Sonos on iOS are not available when you have non-Sonos AirPlay enabled devices on the network. There are a number of factors that go into this, but having the Sonos controls visible isn't possible at this time. If you're using a music playing app on the phone, such as Spotify, and are playing directly to Sonos using it, the lock screen controls will be visible, just like if you're using AirPlay to play to Sonos, you'll have the controls then as well.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Minimum OS requirements
  • Android 5.0 or later
  • iOS 10 or later
  • macOS 10.11 or later
  • Windows 7 or later
Operating systems iOS 9 and Android 4.x are now partially supported by the Sonos App. Devices running iOS 9 or Android 4.x can still browse, search and play music using this version of the Sonos app. Less common tasks like adding new speakers, modifying music services, or setting up a new Sonos system require Android 5.0 or higher, or iOS 10 or higher.

Just so it's clear: there has been no reintroduction to the desktop controller of the admin features removed in 9.2, right?

So the Sonos "minimum OS requirements" are Android 5.0 or later / iOS 10 or later. iOS 9 / Android 4.x / PC / Mac are only "partially supported".
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Any chance this fixes the full system Ducking with Alexa?
Userlevel 2
Badge
Userlevel 2
Badge
Thanks, Airgetlam, but that’s not the issue. I can get to the URL just fine (and I do have static DHCP reservations set up for my Sonos devices) but I get a 403 Forbidden error instead of the “Reboot” button.

Then is the lock screen controls coming back to us that does not have the devices which support Airplay 2? And turning off Airplay on the Apple TV is not a solution!
The lockscreen controls for Sonos on iOS are not available when you have non-Sonos AirPlay enabled devices on the network. There are a number of factors that go into this, but having the Sonos controls visible isn't possible at this time. If you're using a music playing app on the phone, such as Spotify, and are playing directly to Sonos using it, the lock screen controls will be visible, just like if you're using AirPlay to play to Sonos, you'll have the controls then as well.

Thank you Ryan for that answer, but that is not acceptable. My Sonos products have lost it main selling point for my case. It was because that it had lock screen control, that I purchased Sonos and not another product. That is what I am very disappointed by.
Userlevel 2
Badge

Yet another piece of existing functionality removed. Shaking my head after every 9+ update.

Hey Sonos - any alternatives to reboot of speakers? I need to do this at least once per week to get Spotify Connect back to functioning. I am not able to access the AC power to manually unplug.

And before the others comment - I use static IP addresses for all speakers.

Ryan S ???? Remote restart of speakers is now.... ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Reboots shouldn't be needed with any significant frequency, so if you find that you do have issues that require reboots on the regular, it may be good to contact our support team for assistance.
I bought all the sonos kit in 2016. It was fine. Around 9 months later and some updates its been a frustrating painful experience.

Its been fine last 4 months.... until i updated to tbis release an hour ago..... now it just skips tracks for a laugh.

I've spent over a year tweaking the LAN and wifi plus bought a boost.... I've already had to buy a new Android device used in living room... not because it was faulty... only becuase sonos stopped the application working on it.

I've never been exposed to application updates as shoddy as SONOS software.