Sonos 9.3 Now Available

Show first post

89 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +10
amun wrote:

Taking away our only means of checking the store free certainly didn't help matters - the only way you know where you are now is when the system fails to index new CDs. Not a very professional approach, IMHO - but what I've come to expect from Sonos.

True, I can't think of a single other device I own (eg. PC, PVR, console, phone, tablet) where storage could be an issue but there's no storage indicator. Even if Sonos are moving away from "we don't care if you rent or buy your music or both" to "we only care about streaming subscribers", right now Sonos is a system that claims to work out-of-the-box with your local library. Except for the storage limitations, of course...
Alan_6 wrote:

I can't think of a single other device I own (eg. PC, PVR, console, phone, tablet) where storage could be an issue but there's no storage indicator.

Couldn't agree more... Thankfully, no-one else seems to subscribe to the Sonos school of UI design...
Ryan, is the Play 3 no longer supported by Sonos? I have tried for 3 days to update my Play 3 and I continue to get an error. When I unplug the Play 3 the rest of my system updated fine.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
gwalens wrote:

Ryan, is the Play 3 no longer supported by Sonos? I have tried for 3 days to update my Play 3 and I continue to get an error. When I unplug the Play 3 the rest of my system updated fine.

The Play 3 is still supported . If you continue to struggle to update you could be having interference issues or there maybe network issues.

Firstly try a re-boot as follows:-
Switch off your Wi-Fi Router
Switch off ALL your Sonos kit
Switch off ALL devices connected to your Network
- Computers, Laptops, Tablets
- Smartphones, thick phones
- NAS

Switch on Router. Wait until it has re-connected to the internet
Switch on Sonos Bridge and/or Boost, Connect - Wait a minute or two for them to connect
Switch on your Sonos Plays and Playbar
Switch on all your other network devices

Then try updating again. If that still fails try wiring one to the router, waiting 5 minutes and then trying to update again
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
As Stuart_W said, the Play:3 is fully supported by us. If you wind up still having trouble updating it, I'd suggest that you give us a call and work with a technician.
There is also a short discussion (disclosure: started by me) of the loss of the Sonos reboot functionality in the Reddit Eero group. https://www.reddit.com/r/eero/comments/a2vtj9/warning_if_you_update_your_sonos_players_to_93/
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
One more Sonos feature that I found handy bites the dust. Next Amazon order is going to include a couple remote power switch cords.

https://smile.amazon.com/Woods-Indoor-Extension-Remote-Switch/dp/B000KKND86/ref=sr_1_8
Sooooo.... how do I add a speaker?

Or how do I add my Bridge?

I was trying to add my Bridge through the mobile app but it insists on trying to add a BOOST instead. So I tried the Desktop app which now appears to have completely removed the ability to add a speaker or a Bridge

So how do I add my Bridge. Is this a joke??
How. The. Diddly. Could you release a desktop app that DOESN'T HAVE THE ABILITY TO ADD A SPEAKER OR A BRIDGE. Oh my goodness.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Boost and Bridge are pretty much the same, try the Boost option. Remember the Bridge is long discontinued, like my Zone Players so Sonos tends to forget about us in menus and such even though we are still supported.
Userlevel 6
Badge +18
Stanley_4 wrote:

Boost and Bridge are pretty much the same, try the Boost option. Remember the Bridge is long discontinued, like my Zone Players so Sonos tends to forget about us in menus and such even though we are still supported.

Adding a Bridge is still explicitly present in the iOS apps: 'Settings' | 'Add a Boost or Bridge'.
Hey Sonos support.
Also here, I was unpleasantly surprised about the reboot option to have disappeared.
Please get it back. Unplugging the powercord is not handy....
Userlevel 1
Badge
Dave_Young wrote:

Hey Sonos support.
Also here, I was unpleasantly surprised about the reboot option to have disappeared.
Please get it back. Unplugging the powercord is not handy....

Totally agree. No access to unplug where they are installed. And it is not my job to help you work out why they need to be rebooted. Return the removed functionality please!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
pwt wrote:

Stanley_4 wrote:

Adding a Bridge is still explicitly present in the iOS apps: 'Settings' | 'Add a Boost or Bridge'.

Got a chance to check on my Android and it is there too, not sure where they were looking.
Userlevel 3
Ken_Griffiths wrote:

Inopinatus,

The FreeBSD document is just all the past updates combined into one indexed website

That's just plain laughable. The set of all past updates goes back decades and would be colossal. This document is incremental, as release notes should be.

Here's another example; the release notes for a computer game update:
https://www.eveonline.com/article/pjdior/parch-notes-for-december-2018-release

Notice the itemization of every minor adjustment, bugfix and enhancement.

I expect the same from anyone offering an engineering product, including Sonos, and I'm disappointed that they're not meeting this standard.
Inopinatus,

ha ha I can now see why it has taken you more than a fortnight to reply to my post.

I'm just a customer who wants to listen to music on Sonos Speakers. I don't work for Sonos. I don't actually care, or need the detail, personally speaking, but I'm glad I gave you a good laugh. You probably needed it after reading through all those detailed documents you refer to. I would have perhaps needed a touch of laughter too after that.

Anyhow it's clearly upto Sonos what they choose to share and who they want to share it with. I'm guessing you are just not on their list.
Userlevel 3
Ken_Griffiths wrote:

ha ha I can now see why it has taken you more than a fortnight to reply to my post.

Yes, that's roughly the frequency with which I visit the Sonos community. I can see from your posting history that you are super keen and visit a little more often.

Ken_Griffiths wrote:

Anyhow it's clearly upto Sonos what they choose to share and who they want to share it with. I'm guessing you are just not on their list.

Not sure what your point is here. This is a forum for feedback to Sonos as much as anything. In that spirit, you are as free to defend mediocrity as much as I am to complain about it. What's unclear to me is why any customer would want detailed release notes to be deliberately unavailable, which is the only point of substance I can glean from your position.
Ryan S wrote:

Many of the hidden web server pages on Sonos devices have been removed over time, this includes the reboot page. I'll let the team know you're missing it, and that you'd like to see something made available in the future to reboot Sonos devices.

Reboots shouldn't be needed with any significant frequency, so if you find that you do have issues that require reboots on the regular, it may be good to contact our support team for assistance.

Yes, PLEASE communicate that this feature is sorely missed by some of your customers. Later in this thread, Nodis posted a reddit link that precisely describes one scenario where such a feature may be needed--not due to any shortcoming with the Sonos product, but because sometimes mesh router solutions can janky, https://www.reddit.com/r/eero/comments/a2vtj9/warning_if_you_update_your_sonos_players_to_93/ (Google WiFi firmware update in my own case).
I have only been a Sonos customer since the first quarter of 2018, so I’m not aware of all the hidden features Sonos has been removing with these updates. The only one I would use is the reboot URL, so this feature is sorely missed. I don’t want to walk around the house unplugging and re-plugging in all my speakers to get them to connect to the right AP when I reboot my router. Another reason why I have to reboot the speakers a few times a week is Airplay 2 sync issues. The Sonos speakers get out fo sync from the Homepods/and my one airport express connected speaker - meaning the music is like a half a second off. Pausing and un-pausing the music resolves this temporarily, however rebooting the speakers fixes it for awhile longer. I don’t have this issue with first Party Apple AirPlay 2 devices (HomePod/AirPort Express), they stay in-sync with each other. If you guys can fix the Airplay 2 syncing issue, I wouldn’t miss the reboot URL as much. But I still think it was an awesome feature, that should be added to the Sonos app.
Userlevel 1
Badge
In another place I have a set of Sonos-boxes which stlll run with three CR100. I recently wanted to use my vintage 2015 Samsung 10.5 tablet running Android 4.4. afaik. The app, also the freshly downloaded one from PlayStore, would do nothing unless I acknowledge a software update to 9.3. No alternative.
If I do that I will lose all my CR100, right? And how does that match with the recent Sonos claim that the App, now designed for Android 5+, still works on 4.4.?
watt-is wrote:

In another place I have a set of Sonos-boxes which stlll run with three CR100. I recently wanted to use my vintage 2015 Samsung 10.5 tablet running Android 4.4. afaik. The app, also the freshly downloaded one from PlayStore, would do nothing unless I acknowledge a software update to 9.3. No alternative.
If I do that I will lose all my CR100, right? And how does that match with the recent Sonos claim that the App, now designed for Android 5+, still works on 4.4.?

At the point where you made the decision to not update your system you are (basically) stuck with the system as it stands. That includes the controllers and any security vulnerabilities, as they stand at that time.

You can’t easily add a new controller unless it has the same version of the Sonos controller software and if you haven’t saved those past .apk installers for your android devices, or can’t find the correct installer online, then you are basically stuck, because once you agree to upgrade one Sonos component, you are agreeing to upgrade them all.

You would most likely have a similar issue too, if you tried to add another or new speaker/device to your system.

Sonos cannot assist you here unfortunately, as you have chosen to run an unsupported system. Sonos state that they only support the current latest release. So you will need to locate the compatible 'old' installer package and don’t forget to turn off App auto-updates on your tablet aswell. Hope that helps. 👍
Userlevel 1
Badge
I'm sorry. I made a two mistakes.
First: I just found out the tablet runs Android 6.01. Must have had an update I had forgotten.
Second: I did not mention that this tablet was working on that same sonos system before, a year ago when I last used it there. Could be it was still on 4.4 then.

Yes, I decided not to update the Sonos system to avoid losing the CR100s, but why would that app refuse to work? No move without first updating the Sonos system to 9.3.?
Would I have to find an older App to make it work? That's what I read from your reply.

I am not inclined to resort totally to "foreign devices" like smartphones or tablets, for their inconvenience and the sure fate to become obsolete again when Sonos decides upon new minimum requirements, like a higher OS version, as it has happened.

I know that at some point I will have to discard the CR100s instead of fighting the system, or alternatively discard the whole system. I just want to delay it.
watt-is,

I assume from your earlier post, where you say 'in another place' that you have more than one Sonos system, is that correct? Just wondering if you have maybe used the tablet (& updated) controller on your other system and that’s why you perhaps need to revert back to the old version of the App. It seems that is a possibility of what may have happened here.
Userlevel 2
Badge +5
watt-is wrote:

and the sure fate to become obsolete again when Sonos decides upon new minimum requirements, like a higher OS version, as it has happened.

Well right, as an OS' get updated, it only makes sense for Sonos to move with that trend. Why would they support an OS that Google, Apple, or Microsoft no longer supports?

Minimum requirements never go backwards, only forwards.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Ken_Griffiths wrote:

watt-is,

I assume from your earlier post, where you say 'in another place' that you have more than one Sonos system, is that correct?
Just wondering if you have maybe used the tablet (& updated) controller on your other system and that’s why you perhaps need to revert back to the old version of the App. It seems that is a possibility of what may have happened here.

Yes, it is a second home, all Sonos. in my main home I have moved away from Sonos towards Crestron (well, some home automation guy did) with just one player and one CR200 remaining at the moment, and some spare devices stored away.
Yes, maybe I had the App updated, although I have a habit to decline updates of no real use. Did not keep record. I may try downloading an older App version
Thanks.

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings