Sonos 9.3 Now Available

• 28 November 2018
  • 94 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

94 replies

Came in this morning and all speakers said Version: 9.2 (build 46357250). Both iDevices were on 9.3 of the software. Only the desktop controller triggered the speaker updates when I clicked 'Update now.'
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Has the http://IP_ADDRESS:1400/reboot link been blocked with this update? I'm getting a 403 (Forbidden) error when trying to access that link on all of my Sonos speakers.
Looks like it. That's a pain.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Those aren't release notes. It's a release announcement. This is what release notes look like: https://www.freebsd.org/releases/11.2R/relnotes.html.

What did you actually change?

Are you saying that FreeBSD produce that type of document each time that there are a few bug fixes behind the scenes

Yes, for every release. And not just FreeBSD. Every professional software engineering organisation does this. I can assure you that Sonos will be doing it too internally, because failure to do so would be grossly unprofessional. Sadly they are not publishing them.

What Sonos's PR frontline is labelling "Release notes" just isn't.

and they expect their users to read through them
No, professional software developers also produce summary release announcements for people like you with limited reading capacity, and will kick out other more detailed documentation besides.

Sonos "release notes" are a stripped-down release announcement.

While, for obvious reasons, it's normal for open source projects like FreeBSD to include a detailed changelog, this is not the general case for closed source commercial software. Show me a link to a detailed changelog for (e.g.) an Apple software release.

I've run large software engineering organisations with rigorous control over complex software releases, and it was certainly not the case that we exposed detailed internal changelogs to customers, other than in the cases where we were making upstream contributions to open source software components. Instead, like Sonos, we supplied release notes that were a short synopsis of the significant changes in any given release.

That's not to say that I wouldn't love to see the detailed changelogs for Sonos, it's just that this is not -- as you are asserting -- the normal case.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Has the http://IP_ADDRESS:1400/reboot link been blocked with this update? I'm getting a 403 (Forbidden) error when trying to access that link on all of my Sonos speakers.

Yet another piece of existing functionality removed. Shaking my head after every 9+ update.

Hey Sonos - any alternatives to reboot of speakers? I need to do this at least once per week to get Spotify Connect back to functioning. I am not able to access the AC power to manually unplug.

And before the others comment - I use static IP addresses for all speakers.

Then is the lock screen controls coming back to us that does not have the devices which support Airplay 2? And turning off Airplay on the Apple TV is not a solution!
The lockscreen controls for Sonos on iOS are not available when you have non-Sonos AirPlay enabled devices on the network. There are a number of factors that go into this, but having the Sonos controls visible isn't possible at this time. If you're using a music playing app on the phone, such as Spotify, and are playing directly to Sonos using it, the lock screen controls will be visible, just like if you're using AirPlay to play to Sonos, you'll have the controls then as well.

Thank you Ryan for that answer, but that is not acceptable. My Sonos products have lost it main selling point for my case. It was because that it had lock screen control, that I purchased Sonos and not another product. That is what I am very disappointed by.
Userlevel 2
Badge

Yet another piece of existing functionality removed. Shaking my head after every 9+ update.

Hey Sonos - any alternatives to reboot of speakers? I need to do this at least once per week to get Spotify Connect back to functioning. I am not able to access the AC power to manually unplug.

And before the others comment - I use static IP addresses for all speakers.

Ryan S ???? Remote restart of speakers is now.... ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Many of the hidden web server pages on Sonos devices have been removed over time, this includes the reboot page. I'll let the team know you're missing it, and that you'd like to see something made available in the future to reboot Sonos devices.

Reboots shouldn't be needed with any significant frequency, so if you find that you do have issues that require reboots on the regular, it may be good to contact our support team for assistance.
Userlevel 2
Badge
So, Ryan S, that’s the type of thing that would be useful to put into those “release notes.”

Or maybe stop calling them release notes.
Badge
Blind and vision impaired individuals use Apple technology called voice-over to access various elements of the Sonos interface. Starting with this version 9.3, under rooms the group selection for each room is broken so I’m unable to tell what rooms are selected or deselected with voice or brail using the inbuilt voice-over screen reader. This is a major accessibility and usability issue for many thousands of people Who are blind and low vision and specifically chose the platform for your great accessibility support. Please could you look into this? I’m sure it was an accidental regression in this version but QA should have picked this up as accessibility is a major thing for thousands of people around the world.
Just imagine as a sighted person if you updated your controller and then couldn’t see which rooms were selected. It would render system and its main selling points somewhat less valuable.
Thanks for any help in this regard.
Why cant I use airplay when I have 2 ones and a play bar connected? 5.0 surround.
I'm sorry but this is ridiculous, I recently bought a Sonos Play 1, which by the way is not the same as Play ONE, nice naming scheme, very nice to confuse people who read that sonos play one is airplay 2 compatible, then the play 1 is not.
It turns out this wifi speaker is useless because you have to stream from the sonos app, why would anyone want this?
Wifi configuration is a mess while hundreds of other products get it right, there is no excuse for that, please hire competent engineers and fix it!!
Please upgrade the firmware so this device supports airplay 2, its 2018 for god sake!!
i feel like this speaker is a total rippoff, and sound quality is not good at all!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Why cant I use airplay when I have 2 ones and a play bar connected? 5.0 surround.
Because in surround duties, the sonos speakers become dumb, and all their communication comes from the playbar, playbase, or beam (using 5ghz, not the usual router 2.4ghz wifi signal)
You need to break them out (un bond then), then they will be normal sonos speakers. Maybe stereo pair them as well.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
I'm sorry but this is ridiculous, I recently bought a Sonos Play 1, which by the way is not the same as Play ONE, nice naming scheme, very nice to confuse people who read that sonos play one is airplay 2 compatible, then the play 1 is not.
It turns out this wifi speaker is useless because you have to stream from the sonos app, why would anyone want this?
Wifi configuration is a mess while hundreds of other products get it right, there is no excuse for that, please hire competent engineers and fix it!!
Please upgrade the firmware so this device supports airplay 2, its 2018 for god sake!!
i feel like this speaker is a total rippoff, and sound quality is not good at all!!

Sorry you bought the wrong product, take the Play1 back and swap it for a sonos one while you still can.
I did suggest sonos add airplay stickers to the boxes in store that can do it, but then that is more cost, starts an instore discussion about what can and what can't, may reduce sales of all the kit that can't.....sonos marketing probably says best to keep quiet, buyer beware.
I bought all the sonos kit in 2016. It was fine. Around 9 months later and some updates its been a frustrating painful experience.

Its been fine last 4 months.... until i updated to tbis release an hour ago..... now it just skips tracks for a laugh.

I've spent over a year tweaking the LAN and wifi plus bought a boost.... I've already had to buy a new Android device used in living room... not because it was faulty... only becuase sonos stopped the application working on it.

I've never been exposed to application updates as shoddy as SONOS software.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
If you are playing music stored on your iphone, that is a known apple change issue.
Do you have problems with your android tablet?
You could try putting some music in the cloud with google play music for free, then try streaming from there:-
https://play.google.com/about/music/sonos/
Many of the hidden web server pages on Sonos devices have been removed over time, this includes the reboot page. I'll let the team know you're missing it, and that you'd like to see something made available in the future to reboot Sonos devices.

Years ago they removed the ability to see what the track count was in my local library. They claimed at the time it was a security risk. I'm still waiting for that to come back because it was very helpful in maintaining my large local library because they have done nothing about the 65,000 limit.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Years ago they removed the ability to see what the track count was in my local library. They claimed at the time it was a security risk. I'm still waiting for that to come back because it was very helpful in maintaining my large local library because they have done nothing about the 65,000 limit.

This is not true. Sonos managed to increase the limit from around 50,000 (I believe)

There is the Play:1 and the Sonos One. There is no such thing as a Play ONE. However, your point is still valid as it is confusing. I don't think Sonos is alone in this regard though as their seem to be a lot of products out there will similar names, such as the Bose Soundtouch and the Bose Soundlink for example.

First, Sonos was operating this way long before airplay 2 came out, and there clearly was demand.

Second, your statement is incorrect as the Sonos app is a controller app, not a streamer. All the app is doing is telling the speaker(s) to go get a stream and play it directly without your phone being involved. And the sonos app is not the only method of control. You can use other apps (Amazon, Spotify, Pandora, Iheart, etc), desktop controller, voice control, and the hard buttons on the device.

By contract, airplay 2 does stream through your phone. If your phone is removed from the network, your stream will stop.

Not sure what other products you're referring to, but multiroom audio is a different use than typical products that use wifi. I haven't researched this myself, but other multiroom audio has similar problems. These problems can almost always be fixed by cleaning up the network.

It's not a firmware issue, but hardware. The play:1 hardware was setup years before anyone even thought of airplay 2. Airplay 2 is actually asks quite a bit in terms of hardware, which is why there is a relatively limited number of devices that are airplay 2 compatible. When airplay 2 first came out, Sonos One was actually the cheapest speaker or receiver that actually was compatible, not sure if anything has changed since then.

It sounds like you weren't aware of speaker you were buying, which is a big contributor to your frustration. As far as sound quality goes, a lot depend on the quality of the stream/service you're using. I've been very happy with my play:1s myself, but it is subjective.

This is not true. Sonos managed to increase the limit from around 50,000 (I believe)

It was 32,000 when I first bought it. They upped it to 65,000 through some XML wizardry several years ago. They've abandoned the local library since.
.... they have done nothing about the 65,000 limit.

What the OP actually said is true - Sonos have done nothing about the 65,000 limit... It's not even 65,000 if you run out of store first - I only have about 38,000 tracks, but Sonos crapped out the other day when I added another CD....

What the OP actually said is true - Sonos have done nothing about the 65,000 limit... It's not even 65,000 if you run out of store first - I only have about 38,000 tracks, but Sonos crapped out the other day when I added another CD....

You can easily get it back up to 65000 by trimming tags and/or path names. A simple macro in MP3Tag can do it in a batch. Why anyone who worries about the 65,000 limit would not make an effort to actually get 65,000 is quite puzzling.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Why anyone who worries about the 65,000 limit would not make an effort to actually get 65,000 is quite puzzling.

Isn't the "worry" about the limit actually that we have no idea how full our Sonos systems are, Sonos don't provide any kind of "percentage used" indicator (other than maybe a "we tell you when it's full up" error message), and the 65K limit isn't very reliable (so you can't even just get the properties of your media folder and use the number of files as a rough guide)?

You can easily get it back up to 65000 by trimming tags and/or path names. A simple macro in MP3Tag can do it in a batch. Why anyone who worries about the 65,000 limit would not make an effort to actually get 65,000 is quite puzzling.

If I was only ever going to use Sonos, it might be worth it, but for my uses Sonos is becoming less and less relevant. I'm hoping that when the Sonos units fail there will be something out there that will properly handle the tags, display the composer etc - all the things that would be very useful when dealing with classical music.
If I change it now then I still end up maintaining two different datasets, both 700Gb+, which then require backing up on multiple disks.
Why anyone who worries about the 65,000 limit would not make an effort to actually get 65,000 is quite puzzling.

Isn't the "worry" about the limit actually that we have no idea how full our Sonos systems are, Sonos don't provide any kind of "percentage used" indicator (other than maybe a "we tell you when it's full up" error message), and the 65K limit isn't very reliable (so you can't even just get the properties of your media folder and use the number of files as a rough guide)?

Taking away our only means of checking the store free certainly didn't help matters - the only way you know where you are now is when the system fails to index new CDs. Not a very professional approach, IMHO - but what I've come to expect from Sonos.
Taking away our only means of checking the store free certainly didn't help matters - the only way you know where you are now is when the system fails to index new CDs. Not a very professional approach, IMHO - but what I've come to expect from Sonos.

Right on.