Sonos 9.3 Now Available

Userlevel 7
Badge +25
  • Community Manager
  • 10701 replies
Sonos version 9.3 is now available with performance and reliability improvements for Sonos systems.  

Automatic updates were added to Sonos systems as an option in version 9.2, if you've set them up, your players will be able to keep up to date without you needing to take any action. 

System requirements, alerts & warnings

Minimum OS requirements
  • Android 5.0 or later
  • iOS 10 or later
  • macOS 10.11 or later
  • Windows 7 or later
Operating systems iOS 9 and Android 4.x are now partially supported by the Sonos App. Devices running iOS 9 or Android 4.x can still browse, search and play music using this version of the Sonos app. Less common tasks like adding new speakers, modifying music services, or setting up a new Sonos system require Android 5.0 or higher, or iOS 10 or higher.

88 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +21
OK...Mr Ryan_S :8 I probably missed it but where can I find the particulars on the 9.3 update. I'm away from my Sonos at the moment. Curious minds want to know.:?

Cheers!
Then is the lock screen controls coming back to us that does not have the devices which support Airplay 2? And turning off Airplay on the Apple TV is not a solution!
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
Hi AjTrek1, the release notes are also here but I'll save you the click, they're above too. This update has some specific fixes and performance improvements, but no major features that we're highlighting at this time. You might notice that the process to reconnect a single Sonos player if you've replaced a router has been improved, as well as a few other fixes/improvements.

Zinck wrote:

Then is the lock screen controls coming back to us that does not have the devices which support Airplay 2? And turning off Airplay on the Apple TV is not a solution!

The lockscreen controls for Sonos on iOS are not available when you have non-Sonos AirPlay enabled devices on the network. There are a number of factors that go into this, but having the Sonos controls visible isn't possible at this time. If you're using a music playing app on the phone, such as Spotify, and are playing directly to Sonos using it, the lock screen controls will be visible, just like if you're using AirPlay to play to Sonos, you'll have the controls then as well.
Userlevel 6
Badge +21
Thanks Ryan for pointing that out. I just thought there might be more in reference to "performance and reliability improvements". Like not having to disable auto lock when playing music that is resident on my iOS device. Although I do realize that that issue is part of a much larger solution and most likely involves Apple.

Cheers!
Userlevel 2
Badge +5
Heh Ryan - is the Auto Update feature prevented from activating when a Sonos device is playing via Line-in? Thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
Corrode wrote:

Heh Ryan - is the Auto Update feature prevented from activating when a Sonos device is playing via Line-in? Thanks.

It is, if you have something playing (including Line-In) at the time of the update, the system will not update and will instead try to update again the next day during the selected time period.
Userlevel 3
Badge +8
Ryan S wrote:

Minimum OS requirements

• Android 5.0 or later
  • iOS 10 or later
  • macOS 10.11 or later
  • Windows 7 or later
Operating systems iOS 9 and Android 4.x are now partially supported by the Sonos App. Devices running iOS 9 or Android 4.x can still browse, search and play music using this version of the Sonos app. Less common tasks like adding new speakers, modifying music services, or setting up a new Sonos system require Android 5.0 or higher, or iOS 10 or higher.

Just so it's clear: there has been no reintroduction to the desktop controller of the admin features removed in 9.2, right?

So the Sonos "minimum OS requirements" are Android 5.0 or later / iOS 10 or later. iOS 9 / Android 4.x / PC / Mac are only "partially supported".
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
Hi Alan, tasks such as "...adding new speakers, modifying music services, or setting up a new Sonos system require Android 5.0 or higher, or iOS 10 or higher."

If you want to look at the semantics of minimum requirements versus partially supported. The way we consider it, the desktop controllers are more than "partially supported". We plan to continue supporting these platforms for playback and basic control for the foreseeable future, while platforms that are moved to partial support will eventually stop receiving updates and will stop working with the system.

You could think of it as three types of classifications if you'd like:
1. Full or system control which currently includes Android 5.0 or later and iOS 10 or later.
2. Standard or playback control which is macOS 10.11 or later and Windows 7 or later devices.
3. Partially supported controllers, now including iOS 9 and Android 4.x
Userlevel 3
Badge +8
Ryan S wrote:

Hi Alan, tasks such as "...adding new speakers, modifying music services, or setting up a new Sonos system require Android 5.0 or higher, or iOS 10 or higher."

If you want to look at the semantics of minimum requirements versus partially supported. The way we consider it, the desktop controllers are more than "partially supported". We plan to continue supporting these platforms for playback and basic control for the foreseeable future, while platforms that are moved to partial support will eventually stop receiving updates and will stop working with the system.

You could think of it as three types of classifications if you'd like:
1. Full or system control which currently includes Android 5.0 or later and iOS 10 or later.
2. Standard or playback control which is macOS 10.11 or later and Windows 7 or later devices.
3. Partially supported controllers, now including iOS 9 and Android 4.x

Understood. Look, I'm aware of the difference between the "minimum requirements" of the Sonos controller software, and the "minimum requirements" of the Sonos platform. I was just offering an opinion that maybe the "minimum requirements" section could be rewritten to be clear and unambiguous. A point you just proved with your list of "full / playback / partial" requirements.
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
It's a good point, I'll bring it up with the team to be sure. We try to keep consistent on the messaging across the board, so the Community uses the same terms that you'll find on the website, and other places too.
Since it does not list what performance and reliability enhancements there are...

I'm having an issue with my new SONOS AMPS. From the controller, I'm having issues grouping and ungrouping speakers when the new AMP is included in the grouping. Usually sorts itself after some time (10-15 mins) or closing and reopening the controller which I'm requesting the change from. Was hoping that as there are more installs that this would be addressed.
Userlevel 3
Badge +11
Hi @Ryan, release notes are a little bit short.

Does it mean rhere are some updates also for networking reliability or streaming problems enhancements??

Thank you
Camillo
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
@mud mutt, that's interesting, nothing in this release related to that behavior. I'd recommend that you give us a call and work with a technician on that one.

@camillo777, there are often minor tweaks and updates that can help with stability which could cause that sort of issue, but as cutouts are a symptom that can come from many different causes, it's not something that we could outright say "this is fixed". If you have streaming or network trouble, it's always best to work with a technician to see what's causing it, as often it's environmental and specific to your installation, not the system overall.
Userlevel 3
Those aren't release notes. It's a release announcement. This is what release notes look like: https://www.freebsd.org/releases/11.2R/relnotes.html.

What did you actually change?
inopinatus wrote:

Those aren't release notes. It's a release announcement. This is what release notes look like: https://www.freebsd.org/releases/11.2R/relnotes.html.

Are you saying that FreeBSD produce that type of document each time that there are a few bug fixes behind the scenes and they expect their users to read through them ... I know which type of note I would prefer. I think you are trying to compare Apples with Pears here..

All the past Sonos release/update documents are there for all to read.. I just want the brief details of what changes there are for me in this update to carry on and use my system, not spend the rest of my life examining every minute detail of a system, every time there is a simple change.
Userlevel 3
Ken_Griffiths wrote:

inopinatus wrote:

Are you saying that FreeBSD produce that type of document each time that there are a few bug fixes behind the scenes

Yes, for every release. And not just FreeBSD. Every professional software engineering organisation does this. I can assure you that Sonos will be doing it too internally, because failure to do so would be grossly unprofessional. Sadly they are not publishing them.

What Sonos's PR frontline is labelling "Release notes" just isn't.

Ken_Griffiths wrote:

and they expect their users to read through them

No, professional software developers also produce summary release announcements for people like you with limited reading capacity, and will kick out other more detailed documentation besides.

Sonos "release notes" are a stripped-down release announcement.
Inopinatus,

The FreeBSD document is just all the past updates combined into one indexed website .. a bit like you see available in Ryan’s 'link' above in his second post. You just access all the previous App versions/updates/changes etc. from the drop down menu option, to choose to see what has happened since version 2.6 of the App, upto the present release... I still think you are really trying to compare Apples to Pears here.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Any chance this fixes the full system Ducking with Alexa?
Badge
Has the http://IP_ADDRESS:1400/reboot link been blocked with this update? I'm getting a 403 (Forbidden) error when trying to access that link on all of my Sonos speakers.
Is this just a software only update? I updated the app on my iPad and it didn’t do anything to the speakers. Or have they been updated automatically? Any way to check?
BCM, if you turned on auto updates in 9.2, it might have done your speakers in the background. Double check by looking at your "About My Sonos System"
Thanks. All hardware is still on 9.2.
MAscooby, you may have new IP addresses after the update, unless you'd assigned reserved IP addresses in your router. Part of the update process for the speakers (and the one that BCM was asking about) causes a soft reboot of the speakers, where they will likely request a new IP address from your router.
Badge
Thanks, Airgetlam, but that’s not the issue. I can get to the URL just fine (and I do have static DHCP reservations set up for my Sonos devices) but I get a 403 Forbidden error instead of the “Reboot” button.
Userlevel 6
Badge +21
BCM wrote:

Thanks. All hardware is still on 9.2.

I’m using an iOS device so this may not be the same if you are using Android. I had to delete the Sonos App and download it from the Apple store to get everything processed. Nothing new as I’ve had to do the same before.

Cheers!

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings