Sonos 9.2 - Automatic Updates, Volume Limits, Desktop, Dock and More

Show first post

75 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
If I had more space to place my WiFi using gear I'd probably be happier leaving it on, but given my limited space and the aggravation from having to place components at acceptable distances rather than where most convenient and inconspicuous I'm going to give it a try.

I don't see the other reasons, power use, reducing WiFi radiation, or whatever as compelling but by getting (in particular) one ZP-80 in the main room back out of the wife's sight it seems like a winner to me. This is the spouse still steaming over her beloved CR-100s demise and still refusing to use Sonos from a tablet that she has physical problems using.
Badge
so the controls no longer show up on android 9 (pixel 2) when I connect to my wifi. I now need to open the app to get any controls then they stay until I disconnect from the network. It used to come up as soon as I connected to my wifi.....
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
AjTrek1 wrote:

So if I understand your statement...If I turn-off the wireless unless every speaker I own is wired via Ethernet I'd loose all Sonos? That being the case...when and why would one turn off wireless... It seems like a Catch22 :?

No, you can selectively turn off wireless for any unit that is wired, provided that unit is not important to the functioning of SonosNet in your installation.

The ability to turn off wireless is important in the case where Sonos is running in Standard (non-SonosNet) mode, but there is a requirement to wire a device without causing the whole system to flip over to Boost (SonosNet) mode. I ran one of my installations this way until adding a BOOST.
Userlevel 6
Badge +21
pwt wrote:

AjTrek1 wrote:

So if I understand your statement...If I turn-off the wireless unless every speaker I own is wired via Ethernet I'd loose all Sonos? That being the case...when and why would one turn off wireless... It seems like a Catch22 :?

No, you can selectively turn off wireless for any unit that is wired, provided that unit is not important to the functioning of SonosNet in your installation.

The ability to turn off wireless is important in the case where Sonos is running in Standard (non-SonosNet) mode, but there is a requirement to wire a device without causing the whole system to flip over to Boost (SonosNet) mode. I ran one of my installations this way until adding a BOOST.

Hi pwt

Thanks for your reply...however as I was informed earlier (and I paraphrase)_turning off the Wi-Fi or Wireless is mainly for an installation where every unit is wired back to a switch (main router). Otherwise any speaker with no active wireless (in Boost or Standard Mode) would cease to be part of the setup. Thus turning off wireless is a Catch22 :8

Frankly, Sonos may have opened "Pandora's Box" by making the feature readily accessible. Hmmm...I wonder what turning off wireless will do:?
jgatie wrote:

bonedaddy wrote:

Why don't you focus on adding DTS support to the playbar instead of this other BS.

Get with it SONOS!

The Playbar will never support DTS. So how about you suggest something that has a chance of being implemented instead of useless complaining?

With people like you of course they wont add DTS. Companies need to know what their customers want. I was told by SONOS that there was no demand for DTS support. Well all they need to do is read the multiple threads on the topic in their own forums to find out how many people really do want DTS.
Like I said get with it SONOS
AjTrek1 wrote:

pwt wrote:

AjTrek1 wrote:

Hi pwt

Thanks for your reply...however as I was informed earlier (and I paraphrase)_turning off the Wi-Fi or Wireless is mainly for an installation where every unit is wired back to a switch (main router). Otherwise any speaker with no active wireless (in Boost or Standard Mode) would cease to be part of the setup. Thus turning off wireless is a Catch22 :8

I think you're perhaps missing the point. Assuming there are wireless players then you clearly wouldn't disable the radio on all the wired devices.

(pwt's is a somewhat strange corner case, where he forced Mixed Mode by configuring WiFi details into the system and disabling the radios in any/all wired units.)
I think maybe @AjTrek1 is mistakenly thinking of 'turning off wireless' as a system-wide setting, rather than a speaker-by-speaker setting. Apologies to him if I am misinterpreting his comments.
Userlevel 6
Badge +21
ratty wrote:

AjTrek1 wrote:

pwt wrote:

AjTrek1 wrote:

Hi pwt

I think you're missing the point. Assuming there are wireless players then you clearly wouldn't disable the radio on all the wired devices.

(pwt's is a somewhat strange corner case, where he forced Mixed Mode by configuring WiFi details into the system and disabling the radios in any/all wired units.)

Agreed..I should have phrased my response as...turning off the Wi-Fi or Wireless is mainly for an installation where a particular unit is wired back to a switch (main router).
AjTrek1 wrote:

I should have phrased my response as...turning off the Wi-Fi or Wireless is mainly for an installation where a particular unit is wired back to a switch (main router).

I don't think that is right, unless I am misunderstanding you. Do you mean disabling wireless on all speakers?
Won't be upgrading-loss of room control on desktop app is deal breaker for me, personally. I manage my music library, services, and RAID on my desktop, and in front of my desktop is where I spend most of my time during the workday. But I now have to pull out my cell phone to manage my 9 rooms? Honestly, how hard is it to keep this feature? Perhaps the writing is on the wall.
Userlevel 1
Badge +6
This wifi disable is one of the best updates Sonos have brought out. I have had a few of my speakers wifi disabled for over a year now and it sorted out loads of problems I was having.
Userlevel 6
Badge +21
John B wrote:

AjTrek1 wrote:

I should have phrased my response as...turning off the Wi-Fi or Wireless is mainly for an installation where a particular unit is wired back to a switch (main router).

I don't think that is right, unless I am misunderstanding you. Do you mean disabling wireless on all speakers?

No... I was agreeing with pwt and ratty that you would not disable wireless on all speakers....Only on those with a wired connection. The comment you quoted was a correction to my previous verbiage.
Hi Ryan, well, I don't know which app you're talking about but my 9.2 Desktop app, besides now looking butt-ugly, has lost lots of settings like Left Right Stereo, controlling the speaker light and switching on/off speaker controls (cat settings). Where have they gone? In the manual it keeps mentioning the app on a mobile device. But I don't have a mobile device besides a MacBook. So what happened here, please?
Hermie wrote:

Hi Ryan, well, I don't know which app you're talking about but my 9.2 Desktop app, besides now looking butt-ugly, has lost lots of settings like Left Right Stereo, controlling the speaker light and switching on/off speaker controls (cat settings). Where have they gone? In the manual it keeps mentioning the app on a mobile device. But I don't have a mobile device besides a MacBook. So what happened here, please?

Please see this thread, linked in the opening post.
https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/updates-to-the-desktop-controller-coming-soon-6813300
AjTrek1 wrote:

John B wrote:

AjTrek1 wrote:

No... I was agreeing with pwt and ratty that you would not disable wireless on all speakers....Only on those with a wired connection. The comment you quoted was a correction to my previous verbiage.

@ratty's point is that if you disable the wireless on all the wired speakers, and have wireless ones as well, you force mixed mode at best, and completely exclude the wireless ones at worst, depending on whether the system has the WiFi credentials. You appear to be saying that disabling wireless on all the wired speakers is fine. It isn't.
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
ratty wrote:

Correct. The two wired devices were in very poor locations to provide SonosNet to the remaining wireless devices, The addition of a carefully positioned (wired) BOOST allowed me to dispense with the mixed mode configuration, but it worked perfectly well until then.
I am surprised and disappointed that Sonos chose to remove functionality from the desktop. I like others on this forum use the desktop to control my sonos speakers. Removing that control does not make sense. Why can't we have both--desktop and mobile?
OneSonos wrote:

I am surprised and disappointed that Sonos chose to remove functionality from the desktop. I like others on this forum use the desktop to control my sonos speakers. Removing that control does not make sense. Why can't we have both--desktop and mobile?

Please see this thread, linked in the opening post.
https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/updates-to-the-desktop-controller-coming-soon-6813300
Badge
Ken_Griffiths wrote:

Icardex,

A 'bonded' PlayBar setup, with the two Play 5’s and a Sub, uses the 5ghz radio in all the bonded devices ... you have switched off both the 5ghz and 2.4ghz radio on the PlayBar, so the sub cannot connect to it over the SonosNet wireless signal, which only runs over the 2.4ghz band ... that band is not quick (timely) enough for a bonded 5.1 signal ... the sub is 'bonded' and is therefore looking for that type of 5ghz radio connection. I’m not sure though if it will work when it is perhaps cabled to the LAN ??

Thanks for your tip! I did not know that SONOS used the internal frequency 5GHz to establish connection with the Sub. I turn on onboard WI-FI again.
Badge
First Sonos ruined the iOS app, now it is ruining the desktop app. After upgrading, when I first saw the new look of the desktop app I thought "wow, they really removed a lot of controls!" But on closer inspection, most of the controls are still there (like Next Song, Repeat, etc.), they are just very hard to see because they are tiny and dark gray on black. Even if I turn my screen up to 100% they are hard to see. My eyesight isn't perfect, but it's not terrible, and even I can barely see them. Someone with real sight problems will have a very hard time seeing those tiny dark gray controls.

Count me as one of those very unhappy Sonos removed functionality from the desktop app, I use the desktop app the most to control my Sonos device. I rarely use the iOS app now because the last major update made a mess of it, IMO. For example, I really loved being able to control the music from my lock screen. GONE! The organization of my content on the mobile app is also horrible, showing only a small fraction of my content on the "Browse" screen, requiring I tap a very tiny "See More" link to actually see all of my content. Just a lot of dumb choices about how the app works and organizes content.

I feel about this desktop app update the way I did about the mobile app update a while ago: VERY DISAPPOINTED.
Badge
Hi guys!

Thanks for the update with volume limit, finally, which was requested by many customers.

I know how far I can go with the volume-bar before it's too loud. But I don't know the percentage.
In volume limit-settings you can set a percentage.

Would be nice feature to also show the percentage here on the volume-bar

So I know what percentage to put in volume limit.

It's hard to guess the percentage on the picture. I tried 10% but I think it still sounds louder, when I crank it up to 100% on the volume-bar.
Loss of room control in the desktop app seems to be a first step toward obsolescence. Lose room control on my computer, and gain crappy voice control with Alexa? No thanks. Sonos could license desktop software development to third parties, who could really do it right. Just like Nest.
Badge
Now With Sonos version 9.2 we are able to switch the wifi off for wired devices.
Good work Guys! Not only having more wifi for other things or less consumption, I Also was able to sell a system for someone who has problems with high frequency (electro-sensitive)!
Userlevel 2
Badge +5
Ryan S wrote:

Also, if you're listening to music, they won't stop to update.

Ryan, can you confirm that it also won’t update if the line-in is selected as a source and playing? Thanks.
Userlevel 1
This is completely backwards. Put all the less often used, more complex features on a little phone? My big fingers rarely get my iPhone password right on the first try. It's all much easier on a desktop.

It was a bad idea before 9.2 broke our entire four-room Sonos system.

So, with macOS Server 5.7.1, Apple answered the question, "When is a server not a server?"

Now Sonos has answered the question, "When is a controller not a controller?"

I have told Apple, and now I will tell Sonos, all new purchases are on indefinite hold. I will be looking hard at alternatives.

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings