Sonos 9.0 – Support for Sonos Beam and AirPlay 2

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

174 replies

So, loyal customers with AirPlay incompatible models can't use the iOS lock screen remote anymore. Awesome update.

Not true at all.

Yes, you're correct jgatie, I have updated to v9.0 of the Sonos App and I still have lock-screen controls for many things. It depends on what source the user is playing from and also whether or not they they have 'non-Sonos AirPlay devices' present... I have Apple TV's for example, but there are ways to see controls on a lock-screen.

Some iOS users could also perhaps resort to a 'widget' on their 'Today View' screen too, just as another method of Sonos control whilst their devices are locked. There are such widgets on the App Store, though I personally don’t use them myself.
Badge

Yes it’s probably local to my network (it’s clearly not a streaming issue as all my other devices are in sync) but surely if other devices can play back in sync without issues, why can’t my sonos? They’re all on the same network... the whole point of the sonos system is to work on the local network right?
Rncry,

What type of other devices are you using to AirPlay in sync and how many are playing together at the same time?

I can currently AirPlay using the Apple Music App to 12 Sonos speakers running in SonosNet 'Boost' mode. The speakers are held in 7 different Sonos rooms and I do not get a problem... all in sync, no dropouts. It really must be that your network has some issues. It will be interesting to see what the Sonos diagnostic reveals. Perhaps it’s worthwhile considering switching your system away from the standard setup and going over to SonosNet instead.

Hi ken,

I have two homepods and an Apple TV which I’ve been using to both airplay to from my phone and between all three devices for a month or two for hours at a time with absolutely no dropouts at all. I have two sonos ones which I’m now trying to airplay to as well (from phone and homepods) they both slowly drift out of sync with each other or start out of time. I’ve never heard of sonos net... do you have some info? I thought airplay was supposed to work on the standard setup? Thanks!
Badge
To be honest if I knew it was going to be this much hassle I wouldn’t have bought the speakers in the first place 😞 they’ll probably end up on eBay so I can get another homepod instead
To be honest if I knew it was going to be this much hassle I wouldn’t have bought the speakers in the first place 😞 they’ll probably end up on eBay so I can get another homepod instead

I’ve not had much long-term use with the Apple HomePod ... but my son-in-law brought his new one over to our home last week and we did a few 'side by side' tests, grouping it with a 'Sonos One' over AirPlay. The two devices certainly appeared to play nicely together, but our test was only for a short while, so I can’t really comment if the two do eventually move out of sync, or not. It was not something we noticed during that one evening.

I presume a diagnostic submission to Sonos support would only be able to tell you what the Sonos speakers are doing and presumably the same goes for Apple technical support. It therefore sounds like a difficult issue to resolve by all accounts.

It is new technology though, so hopefully, if there are any sync issues in the new AirPlay-2 protocol, these should hopefully get resolved by Apple in the fullness of time.

Edit:
SonosNet is where a user cables one Sonos device to their router and switches over to the Sonos in-built spanning tree protocol WiFi signal, rather than using the routers own WiFi. It’s usually a much stronger 'mesh' connection, with less interference.
Badge

I’ve not had much long-term use with the Apple HomePod ... but my son-in-law brought his new one over to our home last week and we did a few 'side by side' tests, grouping it with a 'Sonos One' over AirPlay. The two devices certainly appeared to play nicely together, but our test was only for a short while, so I can’t really comment if the two do eventually move out of sync, or not. It was not something we noticed during that one evening.

I presume a diagnostic submission to Sonos support would only be able to tell you what the Sonos speakers are doing and presumably the same goes for Apple technical support. It therefore sounds like a difficult issue to resolve by all accounts.

It is new technology though, so hopefully, if there are any sync issues in the new AirPlay-2 protocol, these should hopefully get resolved by Apple in the fullness of time.

Edit:
SonosNet is where a user cables one Sonos device to their router and switches over to the Sonos in-built spanning tree protocol WiFi signal, rather than using the routers own WiFi. It’s usually a much stronger 'mesh' connection, with less interference.

Thanks ken that’s useful info! I have the same problem with my iphone too so I don’t think it’s a HomePod problem... the most I’ve managed is about 30 minutes of in-sync playback.. then things start getting messy. It’s really jarring to listen to and being mostly ignored by sonos support has been very frustrating! I think I might just have to go the all HomePod route as at least I know they work! It’s a shame as the new beam bar looked quite tempting 😞
Badge
Okay guys. I get that the iOS controls aren't supposed to work, but sometimes they do? Can anyone explain why it's intermittent?
Okay guys. I get that the iOS controls aren't supposed to work, but sometimes they do? Can anyone explain why it's intermittent?

It works when playing from an app using Airplay 2. It works from the Sonos app if you have no Airplay 2 devices defined on your device.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Is there anyway to keep a speaker muted? I have paired a group for AirPlay 2 purposes (play:5 gen 2 + connect:amp) , I don’t want the play:5 to play anything as I barely use this speaker. I mute it but if I change volume on my device or of the group in the sonos app the speaker unmutes itself.

Several times I have gone into this room to find audio playing I was not expecting, unless I am missing something this is a massive oversight as this has been promoted quite highly when support was announced that you could use any other speaker to give support to all your speakers. Bu t it’s not great if you just want to just want to use that speaker.

I have reported this issue to Sonos already. Note if you use the individual room volume slider bars the AirPlay Room will stay muted... it only unmutes when you use the main 'group' volume slider. See my attached screenshot.

The view I have put forward is that if a user mutes their AirPlay Room, or any room for that matter, it should stay muted until a user chooses to unmute it, no matter what other volume controls they use. It also only unmutes itself, when the App is playing an AirPlay audio source.

Hopefully Sonos will look into this matter at some stage in the future and make a decision as to what ought to happen in the App in this situation.

Wow, this really requires some attention, Sonos!!! So, my only AirPlay 2 compatible Sonos speaker is in my bedroom. My wife often goes to sleep before I do and I like to listen to music in the lounge downstairs late into the evening. I'm sure you can see what's coming here... :S One wife not happy that my tunes blast out all of a sudden waking her up when I adjust the volume either from iTunes or the Sonos app :@

p.s. Other than this I'm loving the AirPlay 2 feature. I only hope you leverage Siri Shortcuts to increase Apple integration further when iOS 12 drops :8 it looks really powerful
https://www.imore.com/siri-shortcuts-next-leap-forward-push-interface
Thanks ken that’s useful info! I have the same problem with my iphone too so I don’t think it’s a HomePod problem... the most I’ve managed is about 30 minutes of in-sync playback.. then things start getting messy. It’s really jarring to listen to and being mostly ignored by sonos support has been very frustrating! I think I might just have to go the all HomePod route as at least I know they work! It’s a shame as the new beam bar looked quite tempting :(
Despite being Apple device users... My wife and I both use iPads, iPhones and Apple TV... we have chosen to go in the other direction and have sided with all Sonos devices instead for our home music system, but that decision was made some years ago now. We also have a new Beam on its way to us, as we speak.

I certainly won’t publicly critisize Apple, as I do like their approach to many things, but I will say having used the HomePod, albeit briefly, alongside my home Sonos System, I was not entirely persuaded to go out and buy one myself. Hence I opted to buy the Beam instead, as it will be ideal with the small TV and the two Play-1’s we presently have in our dining room. I can’t wait to hear how that will sound when it’s bonded in a 5.0 setup.
Badge

It works when playing from an app using Airplay 2. It works from the Sonos app if you have no Airplay 2 devices defined on your device.
Badge
If I’m understanding your comment, that’s not correct. I’m using the Sonos app. The sources have been Apple Music, Amazon music and Pandora. All three of them are allowing me to use lock screen controls. And I have a Sonos One speaker grouped in? I have also been able to do it without the Sonos One grouped?
If I’m understanding your comment, that’s not correct. I’m using the Sonos app. The sources have been Apple Music, Amazon music and Pandora. All three of them are allowing me to use lock screen controls. And I have a Sonos One speaker grouped in? I have also been able to do it without the Sonos One grouped?
These are not the Sonos App lock-screen controls, they are the controls from the source App.. for example Apple Music etc. The lock screen controls only appear when using the Sonos App on a network that has no non-Sonos AirPlay devices or those devices have had their beacon switched off.
I love the new Sonos Beam, mine arrived a couple of days ago and it sounds terrific in a 5.0 surround sound setup with two Play-1’s in my Dining Room. Worth every penny (or cent) I think!

Today I also added an Amazon TV Fire-stick to my smaller TV and registered that in the Alexa App (under Music, videos & Books) with my Sonos Beam to voice control the fire-stick ... I can launch some Netflix movies with voice control and pause/resume etc. and I also love the fact the Amazon Music App on the 'stick' displays and scrolls song lyrics on the TV screen whilst music is playing through my Beam and surround speakers, but does anyone know for a full list of the fire-stick Amazon voice commands anywhere online please...? I’m simply having to guess most of the voice commands, in what I would perhaps describe as my 'poor' attempt to try to control the fire-stick and it’s in-built Apps.
Updated & now sonos cuts all songs whilst playing off my iPhone 7 Plus. Can’t use my iPhone & sonos 9.0 anymore.
Updated & now sonos cuts all songs whilst playing off my iPhone 7 Plus. Can’t use my iPhone & sonos 9.0 anymore.
See the reply from Chris here... you need to do that too.
https://en.community.sonos.com/ask-a-question-228987/updating-to-version-9-was-fatal-to-my-system-6810252/index1.html#post16252533
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes - as a note this in not an issue with version 9. It is a personal network issue with IP conflicts caused by some device on your network improperly holding IP address leases.
Badge
Ok! Two weeks later the support team got back to me on Twitter... posting here in case other people stumble across this:

Sonos’s airplay 2 doesn’t work with the HomePod because they’re using an internal clock rather than syncing to the stream! Apparently the team is trying to work on a fix!

I’m not crazy after all! 😃
Badge +1
Super happy we decided to ditch the 5 Bose ST30 speakers and move over to Sonos a few months back. Our 8 Sonos One, and 3 Sonos 5 speakers always sounded good but now with AirPlay2 and the Sonos Connect hooked up to my home theater system? Its amazing and even engages my SVS PB13 subwoofer. Will be adding 2 Playbars once they get updated with Alexa (that could be awhile but I will wait) and need two more subs for the master bedroom and the gym. The house sounds great and upgrade was perfect.
Ok! Two weeks later the support team got back to me on Twitter... posting here in case other people stumble across this:

Sonos’s airplay 2 doesn’t work with the HomePod because they’re using an internal clock rather than syncing to the stream! Apparently the team is trying to work on a fix!

I’m not crazy after all! :D

My son in law bought a HomePod, I thought it wasn’t too bad, sound-wise, but it was a lot quieter than my 'Sonos One' at max volume and I think the overall audio does not have the 'clarity' in comparison to the 'One'. I wasn’t completely convinced to buy a HomePod, despite being a strong fan of all Apple products.

What does really leave the HomePod standing, is the new Sonos Beam which I bought a week or so ago. The sound on that speaker is just incredible for its size.

Having read your post here Rncry, I’m now even more pleased that I chose to purchase the Beam instead. My son in law has not yet heard my new Beam, but I think he will be really impressed by its much better sound. I would sell your HomePod and go buy the Beam instead... and it will be in perfect sync with any other Sonos speaker you may have.
For whatever reason, Sonos ryhmes with Apples -- no way to do this update from my android device, had to update from the iPad.

No way also to skip the update -- lost 30 minutes over android after resigning and going over the Apple tablet.

You guys should have a better Android support, and definitively leave a "Skip this damn update option". I am seriously considering trying Denon...
Badge

I’m not crazy after all! :D

My son in law bought a HomePod, I thought it wasn’t too bad, sound-wise, but it was a lot quieter than my 'Sonos One' at max volume and I think the overall audio does not have the 'clarity' in comparison to the 'One'. I wasn’t completely convinced to buy a HomePod, despite being a strong fan of all Apple products.

What does really leave the HomePod standing, is the new Sonos Beam which I bought a week or so ago. The sound on that speaker is just incredible for its size.

Having read your post here Rncry, I’m now even more pleased that I chose to purchase the Beam instead. My son in law has not yet heard my new Beam, but I think he will be really impressed by its much better sound. I would sell your HomePod and go buy the Beam instead... and it will be in perfect sync with any other Sonos speaker you may have.

Ah I have the opposite opinion 😉 I guess these things are pretty subjective! For me my HomePods blow the Sonos ones out of the water in terms of clarity and quality. To my ears they're a lot smoother across the frequency range. The ones do sound good, but just a bit 'hifi'y. All a matter of taste I guess! 🙂 I was hoping to have some sonos speakers in my setup as they're cheaper than a bunch of homepods.. but until the airplay issues are fixed they're basically useless to me 😞
Sonos 9.0 is nice, I like it.:P