Show first post

172 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +25
Guyincognito76 wrote:

Ryan S wrote:

Guyincognito76 wrote:

There’s a delay when playing sound from the Apple TV though

They should be pretty well in sync. Just a few thoughts to start with. Can you try using a different app on the AppleTV to see if the delay continues? Also, try sending the audio from a video on the iPhone to Sonos to see if the delay is there too.

You’re right. I turned Apple TV off and on, and whilst there is a slight delay when compared to the sound bar it’s fractions of a second.

Great! One more thing you can look at is setting the Apple TV to "Game Mode". That can also limit syncing issues that might crop up.

BrentD wrote:

Pretty major faux pas in your announcement email that just went out since it says Airplay 2 works with the PlayBAR when all your other documentations says PlayBASE.

Why is there no support for previous products when Apple has enabled Airplay 2 to work via software and lifted the requirement that an authentication chip be built in to the product?

It definitely shouldn't say Playbar, I'll make sure the right team is able to look into that. There are hardware requirements for that software to run on speakers, and some of our older products don't have the necessary specifications to handle the stream. Once the AirPlay 2 signal gets into your Sonos system through a player that can handle that stream, it'll be able to send the audio out to the rest of your players via our grouping abilities.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
sdliv wrote:

Extremely disappointed the Soundbar I just purchased (along with the Sub), and my 3 existing Sonos speakers will not support Airplay. Oh, and no Alexa or Google Assistant either. The Sonos Beam is WAY too small for my home theater. The Playbase wasn't going to work with my setup either. So, I purchased Playbar, Sub, and am using two Play: 3's for surround. Although I may replace the 3's with Play: 5's. The lack of updates for Soundbar is disappointing since I consider this Sonos's signature and most premium home theater product.

Just a couple points. You can get an echo dot to voice control Sonos with Alexa. You don't have to get a Sonos One or Beam. Also, if you setup 5s as surround sounds, that will not bring airplay 2 compatibility to your system. They would need to be setup as a separate zone, not bonded to the playbar as surrounds.
Badge
Congrats Sonos Team! Well done everybody. You are the first non-Apple speaker maker to support AirPlay 2 and you did it flawlessly. The wait was worthwhile. I specially like that I can now control my Sonos speaker via Siri. Bravo again.

V.
Badge +1
michelv wrote:

I just tried streaming audio from my Apple TV to my Sonos One, and paused the audio by issuing an Alexa voice command and the video paused on my Apple TV as well!

Whats the delay like, is the video in sync
Badge +1
Can I use Siri to airplay a song from apple TV to a sonos speaker? (so it's playing from the apple tv and not my iphone?)
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
Peteo wrote:

Can I use Siri to airplay a song from apple TV to a sonos speaker? (so it's playing from the apple tv and not my iphone?)

Yes. You can use Siri on your AppleTV (assuming you have the newer ones) to AirPlay to a Sonos player (also assuming you have an AirPlay 2 compatible Sonos player).
Badge +1
Ryan S wrote:

Peteo wrote:

Yes. You can use Siri on your AppleTV (assuming you have the newer ones) to AirPlay to a Sonos player (also assuming you have an AirPlay 2 compatible Sonos player).

Ok once you have the apple tv and Sono speaker in Home kit is there any way to use siri from the phone to play a song from apple tv to sonos. I.E. does: "Siri play DNA by empire of the sun from Apple tv to living room" work?
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
Good question, I don't think Siri has that functionality. That'd be more of an Apple question: "Can I tell Siri to have the AppleTV AirPlay to a speaker?"
If I would have a Beam/Playbase bonded with two Sonos One in surround, How will the AirPlay behave? Will there be one ”AirPlay unit” or three separate units?
Is anyone else experiencing issues when trying to update the controller? I am using both MacBook and iPhone 8 and both are receiving error message.
Maybe I am being stupid.....but when I try to airplay from my iPhone to play5 (gen2) is says please enter the airplay code displayed on the TV screen....

Huh?
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
ppppete wrote:

If I would have a Beam/Playbase bonded with two Sonos One in surround, How will the AirPlay behave? Will there be one ”AirPlay unit” or three separate units?

The home theater device runs the room in Sonos, determines compatibility, and is the only one that will show up in AirPlay 2 or any other similar direct control.

ericfrieday wrote:

Is anyone else experiencing issues when trying to update the controller? I am using both MacBook and iPhone 8 and both are receiving error message.

That's odd, I'd suggest rebooting your Sonos players and trying again, but if you do continue to have trouble, I'd suggest making a new thread and we can help troubleshoot there.

jalderman2 wrote:

Maybe I am being stupid.....but when I try to airplay from my iPhone to play5 (gen2) is says please enter the airplay code displayed on the TV screen....

Huh?

There are some great directions here that might help get you underway.

This is a great update. Couple of questions though, is the Macbook Pro (using High Sierra) fully supported? How can I use it to airplay to Sonos -- Youtube, Safari (youtube, videos), etc.? I can use iTunes to airplay from my mac but I can't use youtube to airplay. On the other hand my iphone and apple TV are flawless!
Ryan S wrote:

ppppete wrote:

The home theater device runs the room in Sonos, determines compatibility, and is the only one that will show up in AirPlay 2 or any other similar direct control.

Will the sound play on the surround speakers as well? (just making sure.. before thinking too much about replacing my Playbar :))
Thanks but it's after step 3...I select my speaker (called living room) and it immediately goes to a code entry screen saying enter on screen airplay code..
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
ppppete wrote:

Ryan S wrote:

ppppete wrote:

Will the sound play on the surround speakers as well? (just making sure.. before thinking too much about replacing my Playbar :))

Yes, you'll hear it on the surrounds. AirPlay 2 will play on home theaters as a stereo music signal (just like playing a song from Spotify or Apple Music within Sonos). There's a home theater setting for music that toggles the surrounds to play full or ambient audio when music is playing, so you can set your surrounds to mirror the front, or play ambient audio. If you have ambient selected, you might not hear too much from the surrounds, depending on what's playing. For the best home theater audio, we recommend using an Optical or HDMI (for Beam) connection instead of using AirPlay 2, that way you can get full Dolby Digital.

jinjin19 wrote:

This is a great update. Couple of questions though, is the Macbook Pro (using High Sierra) fully supported? How can I use it to airplay to Sonos -- Youtube, Safari (youtube, videos), etc.? I can use iTunes to airplay from my mac but I can't use youtube to airplay. On the other hand my iphone and apple TV are flawless!

Yes, AirPlay 2 from your Macbook should work on compatible Sonos players (it was just released yesterday). Try using the iTunes app to see if you can send the music from there to Sonos.
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
jalderman2 wrote:

Thanks but it's after step 3...I select my speaker (called living room) and it immediately goes to a code entry screen saying enter on screen airplay code..

Thanks, sounds like you might be running into an issue there that we'd like to get a better look at. Think you could give us a call on our support line and work with a technician live? They'll take a closer look with you.
When are we going to be able to change the wake word on the Sonos One? Your customers have been crying out for this feature from day one.
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
darraghbr wrote:

When are we going to be able to change the wake word on the Sonos One?

Definitely a request we'll keep alive with the team, but no word on if or when it might happen. Alexa development is ongoing and constantly getting improvements and new features. There are cloud updates getting pushed out all the time.
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
Surprised to find it works with my old iPad mini. Quick test with the Playbase and it seems to work well including grouping with another Play 1.
Like many others here I am severely disappointed by the lack of native Airplay 2 when using a pair of ONE's as surrounds with a playbar.
I too got super excited when I got the email about the Playbar. Disappointed when I realized it was a mistake. Even the link to the web version of the email shows this.

Userlevel 1
Badge
I have 20 “older” speakers not supporting airplay 2, I’m stunned Sonos isn’t selling a 50-80 dongle that could be used to make them AP2 compatible. It would simply be a speaker without the speaker...

Do they expect me to buy, like, 6 new speakers just to group the zones?

Come on...
jinjin19 wrote:

Yes, AirPlay 2 from your Macbook should work on compatible Sonos players (it was just released yesterday). Try using the iTunes app to see if you can send the music from there to Sonos.[/quote]

ITunes work. What doesn’t is youtube using Safari on Mac unless I’m doing something wrong.
vannibombonato wrote:

I have 20 “older” speakers not supporting airplay 2, I’m stunned Sonos isn’t selling a 50-80 dongle that could be used to make them AP2 compatible. It would simply be a speaker without the speaker...

Do they expect me to buy, like, 6 new speakers just to group the zones?

Come on...

The grouping solution feels awkward... I’m willing to pay for a dongle! Come on Sonos!!!

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings