Sonos 8.6 - App improvements and New Windows Library Sharing

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
  • Community Manager
  • 12269 replies

Audio retune for the Playbase

The Playbase audio is getting kicked up a notch, with a refined soundstage that feels even wider. We’ve also adjusted the equalizer with smoother bass, clearer TV dialogue, and less pronounced high frequencies.

After updating to Sonos 8.6, make sure you re-run your Trueplay tuning to optimize your Playbase for the room it's in.

Windows Sharing Changes

The Sonos app for Windows will now set up a music share using HTTP for local file sharing instead of the now-deprecated SMBv1 protocol. If you’re sharing your music library with Sonos, you may need to re-set up your music share after this update is finished.

For more details on setting up a music library, take a look here.

Other App Changes

We've moved the location of the Add a new speaker button under in the More tab in the Sonos app for iOS and Android. This will make it easier to find and use to bring music to new rooms in your home.

The Sonos app now supports the Polish language.

There are also some reliability improvements and bug fixes included in this update.

System Requirements

Minimum OS requirements

• Android 4.3 or later
  • iOS 9 or later
  • macOS 10.10 or later
  • Windows 7 or later

Android 4.3 Entering Limited Support
Due to the age and technical limitations of Android 4.3, the OS version can no longer support all Sonos features. Android 4.3 devices can still browse, search and play music using the latest Sonos app. Less common tasks like adding new speakers, modifying your music services or setting up a new Sonos system require Android 4.4 or higher. See our Sonos system requirements for full details.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

100 replies

Neither of mine have changed.
As of now, the issue with the Update Server should be resolved. You can re-try .... If you're still having trouble, I'd suggest that you create a new thread to troubleshoot as it's likely a unique issue with your set-up
Over here still having trouble (error 30) in 3 speakers (Play1 and 2 Play3) in 8.5. Tried wired, single, resets ... NoGo.
The other 3 (Bridge, Connect, Play5) easily upgrade to 8.6 and are working well. Looking forward to send diagnostics.
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
And still no usability fixes, even though we were about to arrive any day... several months ago.
Userlevel 2
Still can't update my ZP 100 AMP even after removing all of my other Sonos components and hooking it up directly to the router... Diagnostics sent 274300286.
Great. Today the server is working well. Play1 and Play3 get updated and can join their "big brothers". Thank you.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Great. Today the server is working well. Play1 and Play3 get updated and can join their "big brothers". Thank you.
Great to hear!

Still can't update my ZP 100 AMP even after removing all of my other Sonos components and hooking it up directly to the router... Diagnostics sent 274300286.
Were you able to update that ZP100 already? It looks like you were on quite an old version. If you are still having any problems or any questions come up, please give us a call on our support line and a technician can assist.
Yet another update!! Seriously Sonos, there's no need, wish you'd stop it, everytime I come to use it, there's an update, such a pain in the backside. Think I'll move away from this to someone else like Bose.
Yet another update!! Seriously Sonos, there's no need, wish you'd stop it, everytime I come to use it, there's an update, such a pain in the backside. Think I'll move away from this to someone else like Bose.

Turn off update alerts on the Sonos app, then turn off automatic updates on each controller device. Voila, no more updates until you want one.

Turn off update alerts on the Sonos app, then turn off automatic updates on each controller device. Voila, no more updates until you want one.

Does that not stop some of the functionality working though? I can look at that I guess, still find it a joke with so many updates, they're speakers, as many updates as a Windows PC.
Well, technically, each Sonos device is a PC...just not a windows one. And turning off updates will only keep it from gaining any new features, but wouldn't impact any current ones. However, in order to add a new speaker, you'd still need to update.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Sonos are thinking about auto-updates in the background, so you would not know one happened...hopefully..., which would take away a lot of complaint posts on here.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
I don't get all the palaver about updates. Everything is always updating all the time now. Sonos updates are no big deal. When the One and Alexa came out I had some minor issues with my library but otherwise the worst is I have to wait a short while when wanting to play some music.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Sonos updates can cause IP conflicts in the users wifi, the knock on is that the sonos app will not find any or only some players. This is very very frustrating if you were planning on playing instant music, you now have a network challenge to solve instead.
Luckily all my updates have always worked flawlessly........that'll be the end of that then 😉
Sonos updates can expose IP conflicts, not cause them. The cause is on the router, not Sonos.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Ok that I can understanding. I put fixed devices on fixed IP addresses as a matter of course.
You're much smarter than I. It took me quite a long time to come to that realization, but ever since I did, my network is much more robust, in every way.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
I don't get all the palaver about updates. Everything is always updating all the time now. Sonos updates are no big deal.

Yes, it is a big deal for some of us, me included.
Hit accidentally the 'new update' icon on the CR200; no way to cancel the update, no 'cancel'.
Now I'm stuck with 8.6 with -indeed- yet another stupid bug: the time slider is gone for the AIFF files.

I have Sonos since 2009, but I see the quality of the software going south over the years.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
You're much smarter than I. It took me quite a long time to come to that realization, but ever since I did, my network is much more robust, in every way.

Well to be fair I guess there are other factors that making my Sonos experience pretty good. Single household, free standing house and a very stable internet connection. I have a fairly old router that rarely needed rebooting until I connected a hard drive to set up a network share for my music and Sonos. I swapped it for a solid state drive and I don't think I have touched the router since. I remember looking at the wifi around me at one stage, because there was a lot more around, and selecting a channel that looked clear so I guess my set up was primed for Sonos.

My old router appears to be one of the ones vulnerable to the recent malware warning so I am looking at replacement options, maybe I'll get the opportunity to whinge when I get one. 😃
Userlevel 4
Badge

That’s strange as following my recent experience with sonos support i was told SPECIFICALLY NOT to assign fixed ip addresses as it caused issues...shrugs....

That’s strange as following my recent experience with sonos support i was told SPECIFICALLY NOT to assign fixed ip addresses as it caused issues...shrugs....

I think whoever told you that, must be mistaken. Fixing the IP addresses in the main routers DHCP Reservation Table is the best thing I have ever done to improve the overall stability of my Sonos Household.

I chose to set mine in sequence, room by room, high up in the subnet. Never had an IP conflict or problem since.

I regard it as probably the best piece of advice given to me here by the experienced users in the community and cannot recall the last time I had a problem with my 12 Speakers.

I definitely recommend fixing their IP addresses as Bruce (Airgetlam) suggests.
Not a networking expert, but isn't there a difference between fixed IP addresses and reserved IP addresses? I see them used interchangeably a lot.
Not a networking expert, but isn't there a difference between fixed IP addresses and reserved IP addresses? I see them used interchangeably a lot.

Sort of. The proper term for an IP address configured on the device is "static IP". A "reserved IP" is set on the router. A "fixed IP" is sort of a nebulous term describing both.
Makes sense. Thanks.
And hence folks like me, who are not networking experts, use them interchangeably. But I do appreciate jgatie's knowledge, and will endeavor to remember the correct term is 'reserved', when discussing the fairly common issue that pops up on these boards.

And as to Ken Griffith's comment, I would totally agree. I think the person who suggested that it was a bad idea was mistaken, and may need additional training. Unfortunately, not every person who answers the phone is a matter expert, it's just not possible to hire that way. In fact, I'm relatively careful not to respond to threads where I know my knowledge is insufficient, and deserves someone else's attention. That's much harder to do on a phone bank...
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
Not sure if anyone experienced this, but the latest release of the app makes my music sound louder than usual. I can't play beyond the approx 30% mark on the volume. Even the bass is thumping more than usual.