Sonos 8.6 - App improvements and New Windows Library Sharing

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

100 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
The team is making improvements and the error rates are dropping, but we're not ready to call it all clear just yet.

545158306 diagnostics sent.
Same errors as reported above. My evening lost.
Left beta program but gather that this is affecting beta and non-beta users alike. Oh well.

I took a look at your diagnostic just in case, and there are a few things on there that are troubling and could cause update issues even once the server issue is resolved. For instance, half of your Sonos players are on the wrong channel, and wirelessly connecting to your router, while the other half are connecting to a wired Sonos player. It'd be good to try ;changing the wireless channel on your Sonos system if you can. If that's not possible, I'd suggest disconnecting the Ethernet cable between your Living Room CONNECT:AMP and the network temporarily.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
The team is making improvements and the error rates are dropping, but we're not ready to call it all clear just yet.

545158306 diagnostics sent.
Same errors as reported above. My evening lost.
Left beta program but gather that this is affecting beta and non-beta users alike. Oh well.

I took a look at your diagnostic just in case, and there are a few things on there that are troubling and could cause update issues even once the server issue is resolved. For instance, half of your Sonos players are on the wrong channel, and wirelessly connecting to your router, while the other half are connecting to a wired Sonos player. It'd be good to try ;changing the wireless channel on your Sonos system if you can. If that's not possible, I'd suggest disconnecting the Ethernet cable between your Living Room CONNECT:AMP and the network temporarily.

My bad. Just trying to reduce the load on Sonos staff but I was wrong to question.
Badge
CORRUPT SONOS UPDATE !!
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
CORRUPT SONOS UPDATE !!

Server issue. The update itself works fine.
Userlevel 1
Badge
CORRUPT SONOS UPDATE !!

Server issue. The update itself works fine.

(Edit/update)
This is BS. Bricked my system.

After 13 tries and numerous unplug/power cycle, my six zones are up.

I don’t accept “server issues will happen” when I pay $500 for overpriced speakers.

It’s 2018. Architect it to scale. Make it redundant during update days.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
My bad. Just trying to reduce the load on Sonos staff but I was wrong to question.
You aren't entirely wrong either. While there are server issues, update problems will happen, which means diagnostics aren't all that necessary. However, once the problems are all sorted out, diagnostics are great because there could always be overlapping issues with any household.
Thanks for trying to help out, Nezmo!
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I had trouble with the update, too, but noticed that each time through another device (or two) would catch the update. I just kept at it and eventually it got everything.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
As of now, the issue with the Update Server should be resolved. You can re-try any update that failed and you should be all set. It may fail the first time you try again, but don't worry yet, a second time should do the trick. If you're still having trouble, I'd suggest that you create a new thread to troubleshoot as it's likely a unique issue with your set-up. Make sure you submit a diagnostic from your Sonos system and include the confirmation number in your post. You can also give us a call on our support line and work with a technician if you're having trouble and need support quickly.
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
Update errored a number of times and left the system in limbo, but finally went through with all 7 units at 8.6. So keep trying. Tru-play needs to be re-run?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Tru-play needs to be re-run?
If you have a Playbase you'll want to re-run Trueplay as this update had some changes to the audio profile of the speaker. Otherwise, you shouldn't need to re-run the tuning.
Updated fine now. I know Sonos uses AWS a lot, likely for their update servers, as well. Amazon glitch? We’ll probably never know.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Updated fine now. I know Sonos uses AWS a lot, likely for their update servers, as well. Amazon glitch? We’ll probably never know. Doesn't matter - AWS = Infrastructure. Sonos = Platform (update). I don't pay Amazon for the use of AWS - Sonos does.
Cloud = "someone else's server"
Userlevel 1
Badge
It only gets better... Desktop controller update = crash.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Nice! Sounds like a great update. Can’t wait to try the improved sound! Update worked fine after a retry.
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
Question for Ryan...

When 8.3 was released 5 months ago, some effort was made to address the mess that was 8.0. You said then that this was just the beginning and that Sonos was working on other UI improvements around colours etc.

I was just wondering if any further development around that has now been shelved? There have been one or two tweeks but overall the look remains as it was with 8.3. Maybe everyone is now happy with the look / feel? Was just wondering ...

Andrew S
Not sure why it took me two hours to install this update after numerous reboots both speakers and router somehow it works. Definitely sounds better, hopefully not placebo
I got the error 30 the first time I tried to upgrade. Left it alone and tried again a few hours later and worked fine. I have two Sonos One speakers. I later tried to play some music from my iPhone using the Sonos app and got that 1101 or similar error. So I tried Alexa and asked it to play Pandora, which it played fine. After that the error on the Sonos app went away and all is working fine.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Ryan -could you add "android device only" to GPM play to sonos:-
“Play to Sonos”

Certain music services and devices allow you to play music to Sonos directly from the service’s native app on your phone or tablet. Services that currently support this feature include:
•Google Play Music ◦Requires that the Sonos app is installed on the device being used to stream songs.
Badge
Ran the update with no problems. The Playbase sounds better after re-tuning the room. The center channel with dialogue is much more pronounced and more intelligible, and seems less ambient. Thanks Sonos team!
Badge
Had Sonos for five months and I am very happy with the quality of sound, but with one draw back. In the past when I saw the message ‘update’ available it meant problems ahead. Today I updated and everything worked first time, could quite believe it. I know, should have had more faith. Getting there.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Audio retune for the Playbase

The Playbase audio is getting kicked up a notch, with a refined soundstage that feels even wider. We’ve also adjusted the equalizer with smoother bass, clearer TV dialogue, and less pronounced high frequencies.

After updating to Sonos 8.6, make sure you re-run your Trueplay tuning to optimize your Playbase for the room it's in.

Windows Sharing security improvements

The Sonos app for Windows will now set up a music share using HTTP for local file sharing instead of the now-deprecated SMBv1 protocol. If you’re sharing your music library with Sonos, you will need to re-set up your music share after this update is finished.

For more details on setting up a music library, take a look here.

Other App Changes

We've moved the location of the Add a new speaker button under in the More tab in the Sonos app for iOS and Android. This will make it easier to find and use to bring music to new rooms in your home.

The Sonos app now supports the Polish language.

There are also some reliability improvements and bug fixes included in this update.

System Requirements

Minimum OS requirements

• Android 4.3 or later
  • iOS 9 or later
  • macOS 10.10 or later
  • Windows 7 or later

Android 4.3 Entering Limited Support
Due to the age and technical limitations of Android 4.3, the OS version can no longer support all Sonos features. Android 4.3 devices can still browse, search and play music using the latest Sonos app. Less common tasks like adding new speakers, modifying your music services or setting up a new Sonos system require Android 4.4 or higher. See our Sonos system requirements for full details.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Sorry made a mess of first reply! Bought a Playbase and two play 1's last year to replace a 5.1 system (lovely sound) but meant a pile of spaghetti cables and took up a lot of room. Only real issue I had was the Playbase was it's quite revealing of bright sources which could become irritating at times but the 8.6 update has made a huge improvement. Well done Sonos!
Userlevel 2
I'm unable to update to v8.6. Either I get an 1101 or 1102 error. 😞
Have tried both from IOS device and from Mac OS X device.
All good for me, updated just now at first attempt and ran the Trueplay.. Now lets see the audio difference to the playbase..
did anyone have problems with the Sub?? is not as loud as before or is that part of the update??