Sonos 8.5 Now Available

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
  • Community Manager
  • 11890 replies
Sonos version 8.5 is now available, bringing some minor bug fixes and reliability improvements to Sonos.

As part of this update, Sonos CR100 controllers will no longer connect with Sonos systems. Learn more at sonos.com/cr100.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

150 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
There are several Alexa improvements in the works right now, including getting some of those audio skills working, and a better version of ducking too. There are a lot of moving parts here, so I don't want to put down a timeline that may not be kept, but these are things that are top of the list and will be getting out to the world as soon as they're ready.
Yeah, it's unbelievable that sometimes one still has to use their fingertips in order to control Sonos. It's a cruel world out there. (Sorry couldn't resist.)
Userlevel 1
Badge
This is dumb. I had to login in to the website in order to see what "Updates" were made. I clicked on learn more from my Sonos controller but then it told me that "updates are blah blah bug fixes" Can there be more specificity in the updates that way the people who care about them will know what Sonos is actively trying to do to resolve issues. You know like Fusion 360? Look at them. They have a timeline of all the improvements to their software they're working on. It's not hard. I can do it! i can type it up and then Sonos can put it in the app update so it's simple and easy to understand. What I am seeing Sonos do is be complacent and this is unacceptable. This is an easy fix to a larger problem. Transparency within the Sonos community! Thank you for the products that I love and keep my house safe and fun to live in! But If this is how Sonos decides to treat it's customers then I won't be able to be a Sonos customer for much longer. Love you Sonos. Get your ish together before everyone gets angry!
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Wow, this may be the least impressive Sonos update ever. Instead of 8.5, they should have released it as 8.4.01 ?So much taken away and so little given back?

Never in the history of Sonos has so much been taken from so many for so little 😞
Hi, new to the community. Where can we find the release notes for version 8.5?
Here :-
https://www.sonos.com/en-us/software/release/8-5
but I wouldn't get too excited - there's no worthwhile info there...
Only place were patch release is celebrated. No shame on how they are failing to implement Alexa skill and amazon music even after several months.

No project plan on alexa availability on country
No Amazon music integration in countries where Prime music is already available
No Roadmap on feature release
No news on google assistant too
No transparency on customer communication

Sonos has specifically stated that their policy is to never give sroad maps. How can you fault a company for following their stated policy? If you wanted road maps, you should have picked another company.
Anyone else here who did whole house “syncing” with a Ramsey kit FM transmitter and FM radios around the house? Good times, lol.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Nah, because I’m just not a board monkey anymore. That said, this sort of syncing is something I could do around the house with..hmm. Think it was Winamp back in the day, then apples air play..to me it just seems as if they need to establish a buffer, then sync things accordingly. It seems this has been possible in my homes for way too many years to suddenly be this hurclean task.

Then I would refrain from making definitive statements of which you have no knowledge of them being true....

On a point of order:- The original post stated with "From what I recall, .." this is not a definitive statement so the OP should not be flamed for making one (because they didn't!)
Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Then I would refrain from making definitive statements of which you have no knowledge of them being true....

On a point of order:- The original post stated with "From what I recall, .." this is not a definitive statement so the OP should not be flamed for making one (because they didn't!)

[quote=jgatie]Fine, change "definitive" to "wildly speculative" (you know, like most of your posts!)....
I have made one honest mistake on the Save the CR100 thread and owned up to it. None of my posts can be described as speculative, wildly or otherwise. Please do not make "wild" statements like this.

But thank you for at least (somewhat begrudging) admitting your post was incorrect and correcting it. Is that a first?? 😉
Looking forward to the Sonos One - Google Assistant integration!

Yes, and improved 'ducking' for voice-control, plus voice-control of 'room grouping/ungrouping' would also be a nice thing to have.
Most of the changes in this update aren't readily visible aside from the CR100, unless you were experiencing one of the bugs that was fixed.
So, when announcing a new release, why not provide a link to the release notes, so that we can easily see what we're letting ourselves in for?
Userlevel 1
Badge
So there still isn’t an option to have different volumes in different zones for alarms? FFS, how difficult is it to implement? I (and others) have been asking for this for years.
I'll make sure the request is up to the team for more complex alarm control. I can't promise it'll get added, or when it might happen, but I'll make sure they hear it. The team loves hearing what you are all looking for.
A quick search reveals that people have been requesting this for over 3 years, with people such as yourself claiming that they’ll pass on the request. Call me cynical but I’m not holding my breath. I’ve been on the beta program for 5 years and even my help there doesn’t seem to get anything done. I’d love you to prove me wrong.
Most of the changes in this update aren't readily visible aside from the CR100, unless you were experiencing one of the bugs that was fixed.
So, when announcing a new release, why not provide a link to the release notes, so that we can easily see what we're letting ourselves in for?

We usually include the details of the release notes here on the community announcements. The release notes for this release are here.

Well, thanks for coming back so quickly, but I don't think that I've ever seen release notes that said so little. I expected to see a list of all that had changed....
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi Ryan,

You wrote “As part of this update...”. Can you share the other part of this update?

Thanks!

I think minor 'bug fixes and reliability improvements' are the other part, as those things are mentioned in the initial part of Ryan's post.

The one fix I’ve noticec is improvement to the 'detect new sesion' feature, as it now maintains existing room groupings when the screen pops up.
But I cannot see how any of these normal "house keeping" items would have necessitated the demise of the CR100.

There must be something more surely? :?

TJRL,

I don’t think I have read anything about the CR100 controller disconnection being associated with any particular update in this latest 8.5 release. I certainly don’t recall, personally speaking, Sonos announcing that, at any point, in the last couple of months. I have always been under the belief that the company had decided to no longer support the old device, for the reasons outlined by the CEO, Mr Spence, going forward from this point onward.

Unless I have missed something in the things that the Sonos representatives have said in the 'Save The CR100' thread. I’m not sure why you thought that something was being released in this update that necessitated the demise of the CR100. Wasn’t the company decision made for the reasons that Mr Spence stated in the reply to johngolfuk's letter?

But the reasons of 'its old' would see most of us here bumped off.

The reasons were as follows:
The battery - LIE
The chipset - LIE (unless the ZP80/Zp100 go as well)
The code space - RyanS admitted the code space was tiny and expect nothing to come from its omission.

To now be told this version was purely to bump off the CR100 early seems ridiculous. Why not delay until there was an actual reason to remove it!

The fact that nothing has come as a result of the CR100 removal makes me suspicious that there is actually a battery problem after all and that Sonos are deliberately trying to avoid a recall.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
[... To now be told this version was purely to bump off the CR100 early seems ridiculous. Why not delay until there was an actual reason to remove it!
Exactly!! 😛
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Obviously there is a lot to f behind the scenes work in this release that hopefully sets the system up for some major changes ahead.

Err so why release it to users. The behind the scenes work for no new features is of zero benefit to the users now (it maybe in the future). Why not keep it at Sonos.

Then release a version that kills the CR100 and delivers the benefits at the same time.

At the minute 8.5 is an own goal. Upsetting CR100 users, providing nothing for all other existing and new users, the only people pleased with 8.5 are those that would be happy if Sonos pooped in their hat.
I can't fault the solution you describe. But we're not talking about Line-In from an AVR. The configuration in question is a sync group of players, one of which is a CONNECT feeding into an AVR. Output is actually the primary design purpose of CONNECT, not input.
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
Sonos version 8.5 is now available, bringing some minor bug fixes and reliability improvements to Sonos.

As part of this update, Sonos CR100 controllers will no longer connect with Sonos systems. Learn more at sonos.com/cr100.

SMB 2.0?
Userlevel 2
Badge
Only place were patch release is celebrated. No shame on how they are failing to implement Alexa skill and amazon music even after several months.

What is unbelievable, is that Alexa’s multi room function, is still unsupported. There are tons of speakers out there..the only reason Sonos got the nod in our home was due to its Alexa support which still continues to be incomplete.

I think it’s likely to be Amazon, not Sonos, that do not want this, as they would have to provide such services for every smart speaker and imagine trying to keep a variety of different speaker brands, on the same network, in sync ... so I don’t think this will ever happen.

Amazon has offered the multi-room Music SDK for months, actually. Sonos or any other speaker manufacturer is free to use it. Sonos already does multi-room, so chose not to implement Amazon’s version.

https://developer.amazon.com/blogs/alexa/post/7c9343ce-425b-4baa-ae63-49c36afb5341/giving-device-makers-more-ways-to-bring-voice-forward-music-experiences-to-their-products
Userlevel 2
Badge

Sonos has specifically stated that their policy is to never give sroad maps. How can you fault a company for following their stated policy? If you wanted road maps, you should have picked another company.

Yes, Blame should go to ill informed decision of me. Somehow ended up as a customer of such a dubious product called Sonos One with alexa. Dumb black box cant be used for any other way as no Airplay , blutooth or Aux.

Either I have to bury it or open it and modify for Aux connectivity.
Thanks for the heads up on the unsupported CR100 after taking the 8.5 upgrade.

That’s IT? Six months after Alexa enabled, an STILL no support for the AudioPlayer interface? UNBELIEVABLE! This means a huge and ever-growing list of Alexa skills is STILL not supported by Sonos. Sad!

https://developer.amazon.com/docs/custom-skills/audioplayer-interface-reference.html
Yeah, it's unbelievable that sometimes one still has to use their fingertips in order to control Sonos. It's a cruel world out there. (Sorry couldn't resist.)

Would be understandable if Amazon were the issue here. But the $49 Roav VIVA in my car supports all of these AudioPlayer skills, and has done so for months. I use it daily for podcasts and more while driving. Sonos is inexplicably slow at getting this basic Alexa interface working. It will also allow voice control of your local NAS files via the MyMedia skill (and a computer, including just a Pi).
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi Ryan,

You wrote “As part of this update...”. Can you share the other part of this update?

Thanks!

I think minor 'bug fixes and reliability improvements' are the other part, as those things are mentioned in the initial part of Ryan's post.

The one fix I’ve noticec is improvement to the 'detect new sesion' feature, as it now maintains existing room groupings when the screen pops up.
But I cannot see how any of these normal "house keeping" items would have necessitated the demise of the CR100.

There must be something more surely? :?