Sonos 8.5 Now Available

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

150 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Nah, because I’m just not a board monkey anymore. That said, this sort of syncing is something I could do around the house with..hmm. Think it was Winamp back in the day, then apples air play..to me it just seems as if they need to establish a buffer, then sync things accordingly. It seems this has been possible in my homes for way too many years to suddenly be this hurclean task.

Then I would refrain from making definitive statements of which you have no knowledge of them being true....

On a point of order:- The original post stated with "From what I recall, .." this is not a definitive statement so the OP should not be flamed for making one (because they didn't!)
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
So your saying when Apple pulls airplay2 from their release. Instead of consumer realizing that is going to delay Sonos. Sonos should make it clear and come out and throw their development partner (Apple) under the bus. I don’t subscribe to your thunkjnhbregarding development.

And what exactly (since supposedly everyone else is transparent) has Apple releases regarding their new timeline for airplay2.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Hmmmm...”board police”
Airplay 2 support is coming. You can actually get Airplay now running a server program on mac. And then of course the Aux was with connect or play:5.

Airplay is a good news. But considering the history of sonos’s past feature delivery timelines including Alexa.

Can we expect this in a month , year , decades or century?

What "past history" is that? The only deadline they have ever missed is Audible, and that was partially due to Amazon's work. Their rightfully held policy of not giving timelines is due to situations like Audible.

On a point of order:- The original post stated with "From what I recall, .." this is not a definitive statement so the OP should not be flamed for making one (because they didn't!)

Fine, change "definitive" to "wildly speculative" (you know, like most of your posts!). So congrats, you got me. Stick the gold star on your forehead and wear it proudly. 😃
I am not able to update to 8.5. I get an error each time I try. I have tried 6-7 times.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hey there, tudeen. Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community. What errors are you getting? Would you mind submitting a diagnostic report and replying with the confirmation number it gives at the end? I'll be happy to take a look.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Then I would refrain from making definitive statements of which you have no knowledge of them being true....

[quote=jgatie]Fine, change "definitive" to "wildly speculative" (you know, like most of your posts!)....
I have made one honest mistake on the Save the CR100 thread and owned up to it. None of my posts can be described as speculative, wildly or otherwise. Please do not make "wild" statements like this.

But thank you for at least (somewhat begrudging) admitting your post was incorrect and correcting it. Is that a first?? 😉
Userlevel 2
Badge
Just like to draw a connection from this thread to my other thread on 8.5.1...

https://en.community.sonos.com/fid-228995/tid-6806024?postid=16227453

It won't install on my Galaxy S8, which is a fairly new bit of kit running Android 8.

As for all the other chatter... nope don't really want to control my music choices through Alexa, I do have to admit to having bought an Echo 2nd Generation for my workshop, instead of extending my Sonos network to it... but a Play One is expensive in a bunch of sawdust!
Thanks for the heads up on the unsupported CR100 after taking the 8.5 upgrade.
I've recently updated to 8.5 and noticed that my current room selection often (not always) changes from my current room to my lounge when I reactivate (enter password) my Android device controller. As I dont always notice, then this causes moments of frustration when the latest selection isnt working for my currrent location.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
There is a new option that after period of inactivity will make you select a room not default to last room controlling. It can be turned on/off in Sonos settings.

Advanced settings - confirm location

Strange it would be changed room. Are you sure someone else hasn’t used. The confirm location turning on will help insure that you don’t start playing in another room.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
New release 8.5.2
Any improvement apart from Alexa in new Zealand and Australia?
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
New release 8.5.2
Any improvement apart from Alexa in new Zealand and Australia?

As noted here:

You can also wirelessly connect your Amazon Echo or Dot to your Sonos system. (This is currently in beta.) Enable the Sonos skill in your Alexa app to get started.
Userlevel 1
Badge
So there still isn’t an option to have different volumes in different zones for alarms? FFS, how difficult is it to implement? I (and others) have been asking for this for years.
I'll make sure the request is up to the team for more complex alarm control. I can't promise it'll get added, or when it might happen, but I'll make sure they hear it. The team loves hearing what you are all looking for.

Any news on this Ryan?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
So there still isn’t an option to have different volumes in different zones for alarms? FFS, how difficult is it to implement? I (and others) have been asking for this for years.
I'll make sure the request is up to the team for more complex alarm control. I can't promise it'll get added, or when it might happen, but I'll make sure they hear it. The team loves hearing what you are all looking for.

Any news on this Ryan?

Nothing new, but generally we don't share too much about what's coming up next in detail. Always good to ask though.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Any news on this Ryan?

Nothing new, but generally we don't share too much about what's coming up next in detail. Always good to ask though.

"Always good to ask"? - Only if it elicits a useful answer!! 😉
Userlevel 1
Badge

I can understand Sonos being secretive about certain things, but this is such a basic function I can’t see any reason to keep it a surprise. I can only assume they’re unable to implement it.

I can understand Sonos being secretive about certain things, but this is such a basic function I can’t see any reason to keep it a surprise. I can only assume they’re unable to implement it.
Or are using scarce resources on things they regard as higher priority.

Sonos just don't comment. If they commented on some things and not others, people would start drawing conclusions based on whether or not they had commented. Saying nothing is the philosophy, always has been and probably always will be.
John, I'm saddened by the fact that I can only "like" your post but one time.
Userlevel 2
Badge +5
Yes, but the $49 Roav VIVA isn't a sophisticated multi-room system, is it?

What's so sophisticated about a multi room system ?

Not exactly cutting edge.

Sophisticated or not, the $49 Roav VIVA isn't one.

And it is pretty sophisticated tech that can keep 32 rooms all playing in perfect synchronization. It may seem simple, but by design, the most sophisticated technology seems very simple to the user. As my computer architecture professor once told me, the simpler it is to the peon (his words, not mine), the more complicated it is to the engineer.
Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Sophisticated or not, the $49 Roav VIVA isn't one.

And it is pretty sophisticated tech that can keep 32 rooms all playing in perfect synchronization

Not really.

Does work well though.

Now fixing ducking, well that's obviously really beyond what can be achieved 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Sophisticated and 'cutting edge' are not synonymous. Putting a man on the moon is sophisticated, but far from cutting edge in today's terms.

Neither term describes ducking, IMO. The reason ducking functions don't work as customers desire has more to do with the fact that it requires Sonos and Amazon working together, and it simply isn't that high of a priority for Amazon apparently.