Sonos 8.5 Now Available

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

150 replies

Yeah, it's unbelievable that sometimes one still has to use their fingertips in order to control Sonos. It's a cruel world out there. (Sorry couldn't resist.)

What is unbelievable, is that Alexa’s multi room function, is still unsupported. There are tons of speakers out there..the only reason Sonos got the nod in our home was due to its Alexa support which still continues to be incomplete.

Alexa's multi-room function is not going to work with 3rd party speakers until Amazon actually releases that ability. This is supposed to be addressed in the new AVS Multi-Room Music SDK being released "early this year". Until then, there is nothing Sonos can do.

Some details from late 2017:

Multi-Room Music SDK

For those device makers without their own multi-room music solutions, the AVS Multi-Room Music SDK extends the new synchronized music capability from today’s Echo Family of Devices announcement to third-party device makers, enabling customers to group multiple Amazon Echo and other third-party Alexa-enabled products together for “whole home” music experiences. The SDK is available to device makers building Alexa-enabled products early next year.

https://developer.amazon.com/blogs/alexa/post/7c9343ce-425b-4baa-ae63-49c36afb5341/giving-device-makers-more-ways-to-bring-voice-forward-music-experiences-to-their-products

So, if you are keen on getting Alexa support for 3rd party speakers, petition over at Amazon.
Userlevel 1

What is unbelievable, is that Alexa’s multi room function, is still unsupported. There are tons of speakers out there..the only reason Sonos got the nod in our home was due to its Alexa support which still continues to be incomplete.

I think it’s likely to be Amazon, not Sonos, that do not want this, as they would have to provide such services for every smart speaker and imagine trying to keep a variety of different speaker brands, on the same network, in sync ... so I don’t think this will ever happen.

..also...+1 for getting rid of that chime when Alexa’s invokes..not only does it serve no purpose, it actually gets in the way of delivering commands.
Yes I’m with you on this point and I would also like to see the 'voice commands' stored on the Amazon servers capable of being deleted through the amazon account device settings.

From what I recall, amazon released the necessary sdk around mid January, given we are about mid April it seems about the time for this to get straightened out.

I think it’s likely to be Amazon, not Sonos, that do not want this, as they would have to provide such services for every smart speaker and imagine trying to keep a variety of different speaker brands, on the same network, in sync ... so I don’t think this will ever happen.

Amazon has offered the multi-room Music SDK for months, actually. Sonos or any other speaker manufacturer is free to use it. Sonos already does multi-room, so chose not to implement Amazon’s version.

https://developer.amazon.com/blogs/alexa/post/7c9343ce-425b-4baa-ae63-49c36afb5341/giving-device-makers-more-ways-to-bring-voice-forward-music-experiences-to-their-products

From what I recall, amazon released the necessary sdk around mid January, given we are about mid April it seems about the time for this to get straightened out.

Do you have anything official about this supposed release date? Because everything I've read stated it has not been released yet.
Userlevel 1

Do you have anything official about this supposed release date? Because everything I've read stated it has not been released yet.

Nah, because I’m just not a board monkey anymore. That said, this sort of syncing is something I could do around the house with..hmm. Think it was Winamp back in the day, then apples air play..to me it just seems as if they need to establish a buffer, then sync things accordingly. It seems this has been possible in my homes for way too many years to suddenly be this hurclean task.

Nah, because I’m just not a board monkey anymore. That said, this sort of syncing is something I could do around the house with..hmm. Think it was Winamp back in the day, then apples air play..to me it just seems as if they need to establish a buffer, then sync things accordingly. It seems this has been possible in my homes for way too many years to suddenly be this hurclean task.

I don’t recall the Winamp software ever playing to 'different brands' of 'WiFi' multiroom-speakers in perfect sync ...and it would be nice to see the Amazon SDK release notes from mid-January that shows the Amazon roadmap is to share their multiroom audio setup with brands like Sonos, Bose, Bowers & Wilkins etc.
Jobehoy,

The best software I have ever encountered for 'Apple AirPlay syncing' on upto 6 separate Speakers (max recommended limit for Apple Airplay by the way) is WHAALE AUDIO ... and that has the capabilities to adjust the timings for each airplay speaker independently ... it’s the only way you may get your Airplay speakers to ever sync ... I don’t ever recall WinAmp being able to do that?

WHAALE even recommend use of a set of metronome-like audio files to play across the Airplay devices to adjust buffering and get them in sync .. so it is all done by ear/listening to the airplay output anyway.

And besides all that, none of these things are rarely ever in full stereo separation ... it’s all mono-like listening like the standalone Amazon Speakers.

I just can’t see Sonos wanting to be a part of the Amazon multi-audio facility, as Sonos' own patented multi-room sync technology is still way ahead of the game at the moment. It’s more likely to be the other way around... that’s probably why Denon HEOS were taken to court by Sonos for their infringement of these type of valuable patents.
Anyone else here who did whole house “syncing” with a Ramsey kit FM transmitter and FM radios around the house? Good times, lol.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Probably coincidence, but a good conspiracy comment nevertheless.

Sonos updates. Alexa app dies on iOS.

Then I would refrain from making definitive statements of which you have no knowledge of them being true. I would also refrain from referring to people with insulting terms such as "board monkey". That kind of thing is against the TOS.

Also, Airplay could never sync, at least not out of the box. That was one of the problems with it.
Yeah, it's unbelievable that sometimes one still has to use their fingertips in order to control Sonos. It's a cruel world out there. (Sorry couldn't resist.)

No, it isn't. As things stand creating a Multi-Room Music group is only achievable within Amazon's Echo range.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=202108910
This update 8.5 has broken (yet again) the Playbar. Almost immediately following the update I'm getting the random static bursts when watching TV.

Is this a known issue with this release? I have a Samsung Q8F
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Beleive those are isssues with network not actual firmware. I think there is a thread on as it will randomly be a symptom of slow network.
Userlevel 5
Badge +9
As things stand creating a Multi-Room Music group is only achievable within Amazon's Echo range.

You're right, however, multi-room or group control functionality via Alexa is something Sonos has been promising for some time. Under the "Coming Soon" heading of the The "Welcome to Sonos One" email one receives upon registering (and I have multiple units purchased over time), it specifically states that "We will be enabling the following Alexa features soon," with one of the bulleted items being "We will continue to make it easier to ask to group rooms and move music around your house."

However complicated this may be to implement, it really is basic functionality that I think most would agree the Sonos/Alexa (and eventually Google) integration should provide. There are other actions, like using Alexa to adjust the volume of an entire group and set sleep timers, that are currently possible only by involving a third-party—in my case, SmartThings. But I remain hopeful that all those actions will be a functional part of the Sonos/Alexa/Google integration "soon."
Beleive those are isssues with network not actual firmware. I think there is a thread on as it will randomly be a symptom of slow network.

Was this a reply to my comment about the static? It's happening on TV audio which is from the optical input rather than via the network. This was a major issue on a previous update (can't remember if it was 8.1, 8.2 or 8.3) but was largely resolved, until now.
As things stand creating a Multi-Room Music group is only achievable within Amazon's Echo range.

You're right, however, multi-room or group control functionality via Alexa is something Sonos has been promising for some time. Under the "Coming Soon" heading of the The "Welcome to Sonos One" email one receives upon registering (and I have multiple units purchased over time), it specifically states that "We will be enabling the following Alexa features soon," with one of the bulleted items being "We will continue to make it easier to ask to group rooms and move music around your house."

However complicated this may be to implement, it really is basic functionality that I think most would agree the Sonos/Alexa (and eventually Google) integration should provide. There are other actions, like using Alexa to adjust the volume of an entire group and set sleep timers, that are currently possible only by involving a third-party—in my case, SmartThings. But I remain hopeful that all those actions will be a functional part of the Sonos/Alexa/Google integration "soon."

Master T,

I think you may have misunderstood the topic slightly here... Sonos are (apparently) looking/working on grouping/ungrouping their own Sonos Room Speakers with voice commands via Alexa and it’s possible that may extend to Google Home too, later on, but the suggestion is they are not grouping their smart-home speakers with Amazon Echo speakers using the multi-room audio group features that now currently exist already in the Alexa App... which is what the original discussion was about.
Userlevel 5
Badge +9
I think you may have misunderstood the topic slightly here...

Yeah, I was reading back and caught that after I posted, but too late for me to edit the post. ?
I think you may have misunderstood the topic slightly here...

Yeah, I caught that after I posted, but too late for me to edit the post. ?

It’s easily done, to sometimes see these things out of context ... it happens to me a lot 😃 ?
Badge
So there still isn’t an option to have different volumes in different zones for alarms? FFS, how difficult is it to implement? I (and others) have been asking for this for years.
I'll make sure the request is up to the team for more complex alarm control. I can't promise it'll get added, or when it might happen, but I'll make sure they hear it. The team loves hearing what you are all looking for.

So having checked (because I too use the alarm in different zones), I am pretty sure you can set the volume level for each room independently (not sure what happens if the zones have been grouped before the alarm goes off). What I would like to be able to do is to get my alarms to be grouped together when I set them up and not be grouped depending on how they were grouped at last session. i.e. Listening to music in party mode beforehand the night before, then the alarm goes off in the morning; only the pre-selected grouped zones/rooms and not in party mode. 😉
Userlevel 2
Badge
Only place were patch release is celebrated. No shame on how they are failing to implement Alexa skill and amazon music even after several months.

No project plan on alexa availability on country
No Amazon music integration in countries where Prime music is already available
No Roadmap on feature release
No news on google assistant too
No transparency on customer communication

Sonos has specifically stated that their policy is to never give sroad maps. How can you fault a company for following their stated policy? If you wanted road maps, you should have picked another company.

Yes, Blame should go to ill informed decision of me. Somehow ended up as a customer of such a dubious product called Sonos One with alexa. Dumb black box cant be used for any other way as no Airplay , blutooth or Aux.

Either I have to bury it or open it and modify for Aux connectivity.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Airplay 2 support is coming. You can actually get Airplay now running a server program on mac. And then of course the Aux was with connect or play:5.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Airplay 2 support is coming. You can actually get Airplay now running a server program on mac. And then of course the Aux was with connect or play:5.

Airplay is a good news. But considering the history of sonos’s past feature delivery timelines including Alexa.

Can we expect this in a month , year , decades or century?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
They have said this year. They hit their targets when they give them.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Hope “they” fulfill the promise. They need to improve development process. In agile and scrum development this kind of ambiguity never exists.

If apple removed feature from beta[11.3] you(Sonos) are blocked, but communicating same to customer is important. Blame should goto the origin of your blocker.

If Sonos do not adopt to such development process it will perish regardless of exceptional hardware.

Time to have an open view and change in strategy as an organisation.
[...] If apple removed feature from beta[11.3] you(Sonos) are blocked, but communicating same to customer is important. Blame should goto the origin of your blocker.
The customer should be able to figure out for themselves that under such circumstances Sonos will be blocked.