Sonos 8.5 Now Available

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

150 replies

Would such a sync delay on the Sonos Rooms that are grouped with the Connect also need to be adjusted, depending on network conditions and/or amount of Sonos Rooms that we’re subsequently grouped with the Connect? Thus making this quite a difficult process for Sonos to implement anyway.
Network conditions are already routinely handled by Sonos, which delivers sync at the grouped players' outputs. The variable is the external AVR processing delay, for which some compensation would have to be made in all the players apart from the CONNECT. Obviously if the CONNECT is removed from the group, or added to one, delay buffers would have to be adjusted, causing audio interruption if the other players were active.

Of course if there were two or more CONNECTs+AVRs in the sync group, each AVR with a different processing delay, then this is no solution.

Thanks (once again) Ratty for that. ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I actually think of the Connect more for its output (making legacy amp and speakers Sonos) vs it’s input (Very few situations I need external source input into Sonos).

So we are opposite and original poster was the same (describing his problem outputing to an amp that processes and delays the sound so it is behind vs the play speakers in his home.

Input audio via connect I can’t see anything ever having sync issue.
Yeah, it's unbelievable that sometimes one still has to use their fingertips in order to control Sonos. It's a cruel world out there. (Sorry couldn't resist.)

Would be understandable if Amazon were the issue here. But the $49 Roav VIVA in my car supports all of these AudioPlayer skills, and has done so for months. I use it daily for podcasts and more while driving. Sonos is inexplicably slow at getting this basic Alexa interface working. It will also allow voice control of your local NAS files via the MyMedia skill (and a computer, including just a Pi).
I agre. Sonos is too slow in developing Alexa interface.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Hopefully your aware that Amazon is the primary one who has to make programming available.
Userlevel 5
Badge +1
Hopefully your aware that Amazon is the primary one who has to make programming available.

So Amazon is to blame?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I'm sure they have a lot to do with the timetable - more than sonos does. Absolutely!

So Amazon is to blame?

Not in this case, no. The AudioPlayer API is fully documented, and has been available for many months. Other products have successfully implemented it months ago.

Sonos had promised to get these skills working since at least January. The change in their behavior with the 8.5 gives me hope that the changes are in place in the firmware, and we’re just waiting for the Sonos skill to be updated.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
In the case of AudioPlayer - yes that is most likely on the Sonos end.

I'm talking a little more on the side of ducking, grouping, tone sound, etc. More of the sonos customization side of things (which have to be customized between the two companies).
Userlevel 2
And still nonAlexa for Belgium.... I keep thinking I have been screwed with a glorified Play1 with a board that does nothing.
Marketing Misleading at its best Sonos 😞
Userlevel 1
Badge
This is dumb. I had to login in to the website in order to see what "Updates" were made. I clicked on learn more from my Sonos controller but then it told me that "updates are blah blah bug fixes" Can there be more specificity in the updates that way the people who care about them will know what Sonos is actively trying to do to resolve issues. You know like Fusion 360? Look at them. They have a timeline of all the improvements to their software they're working on. It's not hard. I can do it! i can type it up and then Sonos can put it in the app update so it's simple and easy to understand. What I am seeing Sonos do is be complacent and this is unacceptable. This is an easy fix to a larger problem. Transparency within the Sonos community! Thank you for the products that I love and keep my house safe and fun to live in! But If this is how Sonos decides to treat it's customers then I won't be able to be a Sonos customer for much longer. Love you Sonos. Get your ish together before everyone gets angry!
I actually think of the Connect more for its output (making legacy amp and speakers Sonos) vs it’s input (Vwry few situations I need external source input into Sonos).
Yes, same here...
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
Sonos version 8.5 is now available, bringing some minor bug fixes and reliability improvements to Sonos.

As part of this update, Sonos CR100 controllers will no longer connect with Sonos systems. Learn more at sonos.com/cr100.

SMB 2.0?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Sonos version 8.5 is now available, bringing some minor bug fixes and reliability improvements to Sonos.

As part of this update, Sonos CR100 controllers will no longer connect with Sonos systems. Learn more at sonos.com/cr100.

SMB 2.0?

Not this time. When there's more to share around SMB, rest assured we'll make sure everyone knows.
Userlevel 4
Badge +8
8.5.1 has been released.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Only place were patch release is celebrated. No shame on how they are failing to implement Alexa skill and amazon music even after several months.

No project plan on alexa availability on country
No Amazon music integration in countries where Prime music is already available
No Roadmap on feature release
No news on google assistant too
No transparency on customer communication
I actually think of the Connect more for its output (making legacy amp and speakers Sonos) vs it’s input (Vwry few situations I need external source input into Sonos).
Yes, same here...

I’m obviously 'inverted', as I have always seen a Connect as playing a Hifi/CD/Turntable/Tuner IN to my Sonos network and allowing those things to be heard/shared in many other rooms around my home. If I had a full hifi system, or anything with its own connected speakers and wanted to send my Sonos music OUT to those speakers, I would prefer to 'set the hifi components aside' and just keep the speakers themselves (assuming they were a decent pair of speakers) and replace the hifi/receiver/CD/Turntable etc. and use a Connect:Amp in its place.

When I say 'set it aside' I don’t mean throw away the Hifi/CD/Turntable/Tuner etc.... in fact I would personally buy a Connect, and use those 'legacy' components without their speakers and continue to listen to my Turntable/CD's etc; IN but just through my Sonos system speakers.

I appreciate some see this viewpoint as being 'the wrong way around', but seeing the Connect as primarily an INPUT and the Connect:Amp as primarily OUTPUT tends to mean that any sync delays are mostly avoided.

I can’t help being the 'wrong way around' here ?, but seeing things in this way, works for me.

I really hate echo hall sounding sync delays, just like the next person.
...I would prefer to 'set the hifi component aside' and just keep the speakers themselves (assuming they were a decent pair of speakers) and replace the hifi/receiver/CD/Turntable etc. and use a Connect:Amp in its place.

A Connect:Amp is not a realistic replacement for an AV receiver, as it has far too few, and the wrong type, of inputs. I moved to an AV receiver from a standard pre/power amp setup not due to quality, but due to sheer convenience - I had far too many devices to connect - my old pre-amp didn't even have a native CD input, let alone coping with all the AV kit.

When I say 'set it aside' I don’t mean throw away the Hifi/CD/Turntable/Tuner etc.... in fact I would personally buy a Connect, and use those 'legacy' components without their speakers and continue to listen to my Turntable/CD's etc IN but just through my Sonos system speakers

I use the Sonos speaker for casual background listening - it's not the same quality as the main setup.

I appreciate some see this viewpoint as being 'the wrong way around', but seeing the Connect as primarily an INPUT and the Connect:Amp as primarily OUTPUT tends to mean that any sync delays are mostly avoided.

I can't see that there's a right or wrong way - surely it's whatever suits the purchaser best.
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
This is outdated. Just received 8.5.1 ......:D
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
8.5.1 has been released.A bug fix already??
[quote=amun]...I would prefer to 'set the hifi component aside' and just keep the speakers themselves (assuming they were a decent pair of speakers) and replace the hifi/receiver/CD/Turntable etc. and use a Connect:Amp in its place.

A Connect:Amp is not a realistic replacement for an AV receiver, as it has far too few, and the wrong type, of inputs. I moved to an AV receiver from a standard pre/power amp setup not due to quality, but due to sheer convenience - I had far too many devices to connect - my old pre-amp didn't even have a native CD input, let alone coping with all the AV kit.

Amun thanks for the reply and whilst I agree with some things you said, the above reply is not relevant in my scenario anyway as I don’t see the Connect:Amp as an INPUT device anyway ... I personally would not look to link anything to it other that passive speakers. So it’s lack of inputs are irrelevant in my scenario. I do see the Connect:Amp as being 'fine' (for me, at least) to output to a pair of compatible passive speakers

The Connect on the othehand is what I would use primarily for INPUT... a receiver/amp connected to the 'connect' and then all components CD-Player/Turntable/Tuner etc. attached to the receiver/amp with all the connections needed on that device... but no speakers here for me, as I see it as INPUT only.

In simple terms, I am taking a decent hifi system of separates with passive speakers... preferring to use just the speakers only with a Connect:Amp for output to those speakers from all Sonos App sources. Assuming the speakers are a decent pair and are worth 'saving'.

But I would then take the hifi separate components, Receiver/Amp/Turntable etc (but not it’s passive speakers)... and plug this system via the Receiver/Amp, into a Sonos Connect ... using this setup for INPUT only, to play such legacy audio, Vinyls, CD's etc. across to my Sonos speakers in any room around the house.

Like I said, it looks like my viewpoint is the 'wrong way round' to many others here, but there are no cable connection issues at all and also no sync delays in these circumstance.
Like I said, it looks like my viewpoint is the 'wrong way round' to many others here, but there are no cable connection issues at all and also no sync delays in these circumstance.
As I said, it's entirely up to you - your house, your system...
8.5.1 has been released.A bug fix already??
It doesn’t cause the Sonos speakers to restart (when updating from 8.5), so presumably it’s just a minor software controller update, to fix a discovered issue.
Userlevel 1
Yeah, it's unbelievable that sometimes one still has to use their fingertips in order to control Sonos. It's a cruel world out there. (Sorry couldn't resist.)

What is unbelievable, is that Alexa’s multi room function, is still unsupported. There are tons of speakers out there..the only reason Sonos got the nod in our home was due to its Alexa support which still continues to be incomplete.

..also...+1 for getting rid of that chime when Alexa’s invokes..not only does it serve no purpose, it actually gets in the way of delivering commands.

What is unbelievable, is that Alexa’s multi room function, is still unsupported. There are tons of speakers out there..the only reason Sonos got the nod in our home was due to its Alexa support which still continues to be incomplete.

I think it’s likely to be Amazon, not Sonos, that do not want this, as they would have to provide such services for every smart speaker and imagine trying to keep a variety of different speaker brands, on the same network, in sync ... so I don’t think this will ever happen.

..also...+1 for getting rid of that chime when Alexa’s invokes..not only does it serve no purpose, it actually gets in the way of delivering commands.
Yes I’m with you on this point and I would also like to see the 'voice commands' stored on the Amazon servers capable of being deleted through the amazon account device settings.
Only place were patch release is celebrated. No shame on how they are failing to implement Alexa skill and amazon music even after several months.

No project plan on alexa availability on country
No Amazon music integration in countries where Prime music is already available
No Roadmap on feature release
No news on google assistant too
No transparency on customer communication

Sonos has specifically stated that their policy is to never give sroad maps. How can you fault a company for following their stated policy? If you wanted road maps, you should have picked another company.