Sonos 8.5 Now Available

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

150 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Some people would throw bag of poop at Sonos if they had released google casting, alexa grouping, and airplay with this release. Complainers will complain.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
I’m not happy or unhappy. Doesn’t effect me. Obviously needed for what they have planned coming soon down the pike. And for those who have thier systems locked down it is if it’s never been released so why do those people care if there is a release either.

They could have done a test release for us to try the lock down for a start.

But I suspect it needed to be done for whatever reason it needed to be done for and I don't think it is features.

Did someone mention Apple HomePod and Apple's patent for click wheel technology. given Patents are being discussed?
Some people would throw bag of poop at Sonos if they had released google casting, alexa grouping, and airplay with this release. Complainers will complain.

I wonder whether this was originally intended to be the AirPlay 2 release, which another thread started by Ryan says was scheduled to be released in Spring? Assuming Apple had actually released it on their original schedule...
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I would be highly surprised if they were that far along on airplay2. But airplay back end stuff certainly would be cause for a lot of changes ... I personally think it’s more alexa related or google related backend stuff.
I would be highly surprised if they were that far along on airplay2. But airplay back end stuff certainly would be cause for a lot of changes ... I personally think it’s more alexa related or google related backend stuff.

The thread was from 6 months ago, at which time they might have believed Apple’s BS schedule, lol.

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/exciting-partnerships-in-the-queue-6791309
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes true they could have started a long time ago. Dealing with Apple on this whole airplay2 delay would have to be a complete pain.

I guess someone needs to teach Apple how to be real software developers since they are always releasing firmware for “big fixes”. Supposedly from this thread bug fix releases aren’t necessary or appropriate. I love how everyone is some garage software development expert.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Firstly let me say I think sonos is brilliant, we have 7 in our house and its used every single day from the moment someone wakes up. While I appreciate that everyone will have different agendas and that you can please everyone, I find it frustrating that another release goes by where the sync issues with sonos connect hasn't been resolved (this one was reported over 6 years ago).

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/audio-delay-between-connect-and-play-5-5256084/index4.html
https://en.community.sonos.com/components-228996/recommended-receivers-that-don-t-have-a-delay-when-used-with-a-sonos-connect-6739257
https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/connect-out-of-sync-with-play-speakers-5796502
https://en.community.sonos.com/components-228996/recommended-receivers-that-don-t-have-a-delay-when-used-with-a-sonos-connect-6739257
https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/audio-lag-with-sony-receiver-6803187
https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/audio-delay-with-a-set-of-ones-play-5-and-sonos-connect-with-a-pioneer-vsx-1019ah-k-receiver-6793962
https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/need-possibility-of-adding-delay-in-addition-to-the-normal-70ms-4485889/index7.html

It would be good if these weren't just ignored for ever more.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You mean ability to add delay to other speakers to compensate for your external amplifiers delay. While I understand your frustration I don’t think this will ever be on Sonos radar. Caused by external device and Sonos has always been ANTI customization user settings.
The delay is needed to buffer audio, to allow multiroom audio to be in sync. Its what make Sonos stable and more reliable than its competitors. So personally don’t see it going away either.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You can’t remove delay from the connect. You would have to add delay to the other play speakers in your house. This change then would have to be to play speakers and Sonos has shown no intention of ever doing that.

The issue is the delay the external amps adding. I have no issue as my receiver has direct mode which add little to no delay.
Duncan_16,

If you are playing audio-out (for example from a simple hifi/receiver system) to its own connected speakers and then you attach that 'hifi system' to a Sonos Connect and then group/share the Connects (incoming) audio across to other Sonos Rooms, then often the delay is caused by the buffering/sharing/syncing process of the audio being shared to the grouped Sonos devices... so my understanding is the audio playing through the grouped Sonos speakers is often already lagging behind the audio-out that is playing through the hifi/receiver's own speaker system ... this delay seems to fall in the range of 30ms to 70ms sync delay.

So the answer here, is that the hifi, or receiver, is the device that needs to have the ability to sync and delay it’s own audio output to its own (non-sonos) speakers. Such receivers are available already that do this with in-built sync controls to adjust their own speaker output in small increments.

So I’m not sure that this is an issue that Sonos needs to resolve... would it not be best to look at the hifi/receiver manufacturer to implement this.

I appreciate that audio flows both ways via a Sonos Connect, but I mainly see the Connect as being an ideal legacy audio source gateway IN to the Sonos multi-room wireless sharing network.

The Connect:Amp, on the other hand, is in many ways the opposite to a Connect, as that is an ideal audio source gateway OUT of the Sonos multi-room wireless sharing network and used to play 'synced' audio on decent passive speakers.

So I’m not convinced that the suggested 'sync development work' being suggested here for a Connect, should necessarily fall under Sonos's development umbrella.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I take all of your points on board and you are correct in that for AV receivers it is the processing they are doing that causes the syncing issue from a connect (using speakers from the av receiver) to the play speakers.

However connect is by it very name supposed to connect sonos to your existing equipment. Thus would be good if there was flexibility to be able to adjust the timing of the connect relative to the play speakers or visa versa. I can't really see how it can't be done or how it isn't an issue for a lot of people (given all of the prior posts) and they managed to do it for the playbar.

There has never been any official confirmation that they are/are not considering this, but it would be nice to know one way or another.
they managed to do it for the playbar.
They didn't, and anyway PLAYBAR is an entirely different situation. As it happens, for TV input PLAYBAR is out of sync with its grouped players, owing to the need for more network buffering in the other devices.
I take all of your points on board and you are correct in that for AV receivers it is the processing they are doing that causes the syncing issue from a connect (using speakers from the av receiver) to the play speakers.

However connect is by it very name supposed to connect sonos to your existing equipment. Thus would be good if there was flexibility to be able to adjust the timing of the connect relative to the play speakers or visa versa. I can't really see how it can't be done or how it isn't an issue for a lot of people (given all of the prior posts) and they managed to do it for the playbar.

There has never been any official confirmation that they are/are not considering this, but it would be nice to know one way or another.

It is highly likely that your receiver connected to its (non Sonos) speakers is playing its audio through them before the audio is output to the Sonos grouped rooms.

A (slider) sync delay feature on the Sonos Connect would only make the delay far worse. The current Sonos Connect delay/buffering is there to allow the Sonos products (grouped speakers etc.) to sync between themselves.

That’s the reason that the Sonos developers are unlikely to do these things and you are incorrect to think that the Sonos PlayBar or PlayBase in anyway fixes these issues ... A similar delay occurs with those devices, when grouped, with other Sonos Rooms and when they play an external audio source ... like TV audio for example.

Note, this does not apply to Sonos music, for example - an audio source that is started in the Sonos app like Spotify etc.

Only a bonded 5.0 or 5.1 PlayBar of Playbase single Sonos Room will play in perfect sync, but that’s because they all buffer and sync together between themselves and the TV in-built speakers are not outputting the TV audio at the same time.
@Ken I fear you may have the stick inverted. This is an age-old issue, caused by AVR processing delays downstream of a CONNECT/ZP90/ZP80. Sonos can't see the delay. And even if it did, a CONNECT could only introduce negative delay courtesy of a Flux Capacitor. A delay would have to be manually added in all the other grouped players except the CONNECT. Feasible, but not a small job to get right.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Ratty. You haven’t completed your flux capacitor yet. I thought if anyone could crack that it would be you.
Ratty. You haven’t completed your flux capacitor yet. I thought if anyone could crack that it would be you.
It's getting the CONNECT to 88 miles per hour whilst maintaining a wireless connection which is proving to be the challenge.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Duncan. I hate to say it (but Sonos will never comment in future possible features). But I give it about a .02% chance they are ever considering adding delay ability to the play speakers. Only fix ever will be an amplifier that doesn’t introduce delay to speakers (which mine does not in direct mode)

I’m not saying it wouldn’t be a neat feature. But it would be difficult to adjust them properly and goes against about everything Sonos has always done when it comes to user customized options. Heck they won’t even give me a queue locking mode (which I give about a 5% chance).
@Ken I fear you may have the stick inverted. This is an age-old issue, caused by AVR processing delays downstream of a CONNECT/ZP90/ZP80. Sonos can't see the delay. And even if it did, a CONNECT could only introduce negative delay courtesy of a Flux Capacitor. A delay would have to be manually added in all the other grouped players except the CONNECT. Feasible, but not a small job to get right.

Oh, I’m not sure I fully grasp the situation then Ratty, but as an example, my Sony receiver has a delay sync feature that delays output to its own 5.1 speakers. If I set a delay to 30ms on that receiver, the audio will output through those speakers in perfect time/sync with two grouped Sonos rooms that are connected to the receiver through a 'Play-5 line-in' in my case, rather than a Connect (but same concept in many ways).

So my understanding is the receiver output here to its own connected speakers is where the sync delay ought to be?

If you were to slow the connect audio surely the delay will only get worse and not better?

I stand corrected if you think that’s incorrect and obviously bow to your vast experience, but it definitely is working well here for me.

I’m sorry for quoting my own Sony receiver example here, by the way, as I know I have mentioned this to you before in several other threads.
I can't fault the solution you describe. But we're not talking about Line-In from an AVR. The configuration in question is a sync group of players, one of which is a CONNECT feeding into an AVR. Output is actually the primary design purpose of CONNECT, not input.
Still no ability to stop the annoying need to go to the internet before the app will work. This has been asked for, for years now. Do Sonos actually read these posts? If they do, why don't they deliver user requests, years old?

Yes, we know they read these posts because they said that they do and you can clearly see staff members responding to threads. Why don't they deliver all the features that users request? Most likely because they do not feel that it would effect a significant enough customers to justify moving up on the priority list, or possibly that implementing such a feature could cause issues with existing features that a larger number of customers currently use.

Another thought, since Sonos now has a significant cloud aspect to it's functionality, it's entirely possible that this new version is required to enable features that Sonos plans to implement on the cloud side. It makes sense that Sonos may want to give a week or two for customers to update their local firmware before updating the cloud, particularly if current features with Alexa break after cloud is updated without local firmware updated first. That said though, I don't if such cloud based features were production ready, why not let us know? Perhaps they think customers may not understand the difference between a cloud and local update?
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Sonos version 8.5 is now available, bringing some minor bug fixes and reliability improvements to Sonos.

As part of this update, Sonos CR100 controllers will no longer connect with Sonos systems. Learn more at sonos.com/cr100.

Hi, new to the community. Where can we find the release notes for version 8.5?
Hi, new to the community. Where can we find the release notes for version 8.5?
Here :-
https://www.sonos.com/en-us/software/release/8-5
but I wouldn't get too excited - there's no worthwhile info there...
I can't fault the solution you describe. But we're not talking about Line-In from an AVR. The configuration in question is a sync group of players, one of which is a CONNECT feeding into an AVR. Output is actually the primary design purpose of CONNECT, not input.

Ratty,

Oh, there then is my misunderstanding, as I have always seen the primary purpose of the Sonos Connect to 'receive' and 'extend' the audio INPUT from a 'legacy' Hifi/Turntable/Tuner/CD System with its own attached speaker system and to distribute the 'unique' legacy audio source(s) to other Sonos Rooms about a house.

I do appreciate the Connect is capable and used for OUTPUT too... I just saw that as 'secondary', due to the obvious and known delays caused by external factors.

It’s the Connect:Amp to passive speakers, that I have seen as mostly being a device used primarily for Sonos OUTPUT only.

So sorry if I had the wrong end of the stick here ... my thoughts were that Duncan_16 was trying to get his hifi audio-in to a Connect to play in sync in Sonos grouped rooms.

By the way the Sony receiver sync example, I mentioned earlier does work for TV audio, aswell as Tuner/CD/Turntable sources attached directly to the receiver, but occasionally I do have to adjust the sync settings slightly, especially for things that are 'further away' ...such as an Apple TV with HDMI Connection into a TV, which in turn is then connected to the Sony Receiver.

It does work, but I appreciate I may have got things the wrong way round on this occasion. I can see why Sonos would never contemplate this feature as like you say it would mean slowing/syncing the audio-out on every Sonos Room grouped with the Connect.

Just one final quick question arising from all this then Ratty... (sorry!) ..Would such a sync delay on the Sonos Rooms that are grouped with the Connect also need to be adjusted, depending on network conditions and/or amount of Sonos Rooms that we’re subsequently grouped with the Connect? Thus making this quite a difficult process for Sonos to implement anyway.
Would such a sync delay on the Sonos Rooms that are grouped with the Connect also need to be adjusted, depending on network conditions and/or amount of Sonos Rooms that we’re subsequently grouped with the Connect? Thus making this quite a difficult process for Sonos to implement anyway.
Network conditions are already routinely handled by Sonos, which delivers sync at the grouped players' outputs. The variable is the external AVR processing delay, for which some compensation would have to be made in all the players apart from the CONNECT. Obviously if the CONNECT is removed from the group, or added to one, delay buffers would have to be adjusted, causing audio interruption if the other players were active.

Of course if there were two or more CONNECTs+AVRs in the sync group, each AVR with a different processing delay, then this is no solution.