Sonos 8.5 Now Available

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

150 replies

Most of the changes in this update aren't readily visible aside from the CR100, unless you were experiencing one of the bugs that was fixed.
So, when announcing a new release, why not provide a link to the release notes, so that we can easily see what we're letting ourselves in for?

We usually include the details of the release notes here on the community announcements. The release notes for this release are here.

Well, thanks for coming back so quickly, but I don't think that I've ever seen release notes that said so little. I expected to see a list of all that had changed....
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Yes, but the $49 Roav VIVA isn't a sophisticated multi-room system, is it?

Echos and Dots do multi-room, and fully support the dozens of important skills that rely on this interface.

Look, I’m a huge Sonos fanboy, but this, to me, is just inexcusable. Sonos should have supported this from day one of the Alexa rollout, to truthfully advertise full Alexa support. Encouraging that Ryan says it’s at the top of their list, at least.

Get an Echo dot they are the bees knees, they do everything don't they?

The one fix I’ve noticed, is improvement to the 'detect new sesion' feature, as it now maintains existing room groupings when the screen pops up.

Where is that option Ken? I can't seem to find it in the 8.5 iOS App.

craigski
See my screenshot attached... they have renamed the feature to 'confirm location before playback'.
Echos and Dots do multi-room, and fully support the dozens of important skills that rely on this interface.

Look, I’m a huge Sonos fanboy, but this, to me, is just inexcusable. Sonos should have supported this from day one of the Alexa rollout, to truthfully advertise full Alexa support. Encouraging that Ryan says it’s at the top of their list, at least.

To me voice control just isn't that important, I still prefer the Sonos Controller over Alexa (having 3 ONEs though). However, third party Alexa-enabled devices probably will never get full Alexa support.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Ryan S - Have there been any updates on the progress of Google Assistant support for the Sonos One?
Do you know if we can expect it in the first half of this year or will it be later in the year?
I have been checking for updates for the last couple of months but I haven't seen anything.
Any info would be great!

We haven't reached the point where we're confident enough to share more details on a timeline. I know work's ongoing with Google, but can't share too much more right now. When it comes to partnerships like this, there's a lot of work to be done on both sides, which means there are so many moving parts we like to keep a little quiet on the details until they're set in stone. We'll be sure to share in the future when there's anything solid enough to share.

To me voice control just isn't that important, I still prefer the Sonos Controller over Alexa (having 3 ONEs though).

Well, that puts you very much in the minority, then. Echos have disrupted the market, and now outsell Sonos, once the market leader, by a huge margin. Apple and Google are now also very much in the game, also taking away market share from Sonos. Voice control is essential to Sonos’ survival, plain and simple.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I just want the white theme back on the app and looking forward for able to use Airplay 2 at June alongside WWDC new iOS.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi Ryan,

You wrote “As part of this update...”. Can you share the other part of this update?

Thanks!

I think minor 'bug fixes and reliability improvements' are the other part, as those things are mentioned in the initial part of Ryan's post.

The one fix I’ve noticec is improvement to the 'detect new sesion' feature, as it now maintains existing room groupings when the screen pops up.
But I cannot see how any of these normal "house keeping" items would have necessitated the demise of the CR100.

There must be something more surely? :?

TJRL,

I don’t think I have read anything about the CR100 controller disconnection being associated with any particular update in this latest 8.5 release. I certainly don’t recall, personally speaking, Sonos announcing that, at any point, in the last couple of months. I have always been under the belief that the company had decided to no longer support the old device, for the reasons outlined by the CEO, Mr Spence, going forward from this point onward.

Unless I have missed something in the things that the Sonos representatives have said in the 'Save The CR100' thread. I’m not sure why you thought that something was being released in this update that necessitated the demise of the CR100. Wasn’t the company decision made for the reasons that Mr Spence stated in the reply to johngolfuk's letter?

But the reasons of 'its old' would see most of us here bumped off.

The reasons were as follows:
The battery - LIE
The chipset - LIE (unless the ZP80/Zp100 go as well)
The code space - RyanS admitted the code space was tiny and expect nothing to come from its omission.

To now be told this version was purely to bump off the CR100 early seems ridiculous. Why not delay until there was an actual reason to remove it!

The fact that nothing has come as a result of the CR100 removal makes me suspicious that there is actually a battery problem after all and that Sonos are deliberately trying to avoid a recall.

When it comes to partnerships like this, there's a lot of work to be done on both sides, which means there are so many moving parts we like to keep a little quiet on the details until they're set in stone.

I've definitely noticed that anyway!
I understand, glad to know work is still ongoing.
Thanks for the reply!
Userlevel 7
Badge +6

To me voice control just isn't that important, I still prefer the Sonos Controller over Alexa (having 3 ONEs though). Those third-party devices are Alexa-enabled, they probably will never get full Alexa support.

Well, that puts you very much in the minority, then. Echos have disrupted the market, and now outsell Sonos, once the market leader, by a huge margin. Apple and Google are now also very much in the game, also taking away market share from Sonos. Voice control is essential to Sonos’ survival, plain and simple.

Not really. The Amazon Echo is half the price of the Sonos, and has a much wider functional range. That puts it in a different market. Sure everyone can toss £90 for an Amazon Echo as it seems great. The reality falls a little short.

Not everyone wants to spend Sonos money. Sure if Sonos want to go down the pile high sell em cheap route they can, they will lose. I would suggest that the prevalence of Amazon at the £90 price point maybe Sonos would be better off back to their roots in the audio market with good sounding kit. Of course markets change and I am sure Sonos have done their homework (Blackberry, Nokia anyone).
Do they need to support voice - probably but we may get fed up of being told it didn't understand or couldn't find. Remember 3D TV for home?
Yes, but the $49 Roav VIVA isn't a sophisticated multi-room system, is it?

Get an Echo dot they are the bees knees, they do everything don't they?
Apart from sound any good, which for me matters most. I actually like music, not technology.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Wow, this may be the least impressive Sonos update ever. Instead of 8.5, they should have released it as 8.4.01 ?So much taken away and so little given back?

Never in the history of Sonos has so much been taken from so many for so little 😞
Userlevel 4
Badge +5

The one fix I’ve noticed, is improvement to the 'detect new sesion' feature, as it now maintains existing room groupings when the screen pops up.

Where is that option Ken? I can't seem to find it in the 8.5 iOS App.

craigski
See my screenshot attached... they have renamed the feature to 'confirm location before playback'.

Got it, thanks. Your 'detect new session' comment threw me 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
[... To now be told this version was purely to bump off the CR100 early seems ridiculous. Why not delay until there was an actual reason to remove it!
Exactly!! 😛

Not really. The Amazon Echo is half the price of the Sonos, and has a much wider functional range. That puts it in a different market. Sure everyone can toss £90 for an Amazon Echo as it seems great. The reality falls a little short.

Not everyone wants to spend Sonos money. Sure if Sonos want to go down the pile high sell em cheap route they can, they will lose. I would suggest that the prevalence of Amazon at the £90 price point maybe Sonos would be better off back to their roots in the audio market with good sounding kit. Of course markets change and I am sure Sonos have done their homework (Blackberry, Nokia anyone).
Do they need to support voice - probably but we may get fed up of being told it didn't understand or couldn't find. Remember 3D TV for home?

Apple HomePod and Google Max, both sound way better than Echo, both have voice control as their primary feature. Both are taking considerable market share from Sonos. And if you think the Echo hasn’t severely affected Sonos’ market share, you simply haven’t been paying attention.

Denon Heos, Bose, BlueSound, etc are minor competition, and vastly inferior to Sonos in many ways, including voice support. The new and upcoming voice controlled products from the giants are hugely disruptive to Sonos’ market, make no mistake. Spence is well aware of the challenges he is facing. He will need to execute very quickly.
First, want to say thanks to Ryan to being the messenger everyone wants to shoot. :D

Second, I do agree that it's a bit disappointing that there isn't anything but bug fixes in this release. I completely again that most feature requests are dependent on Amazon and Google at this point, but still disappointing.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Obviously there is a lot to f behind the scenes work in this release that hopefully sets the system up for some major changes ahead.
Userlevel 5
Badge +4
Obviously there is a lot to f behind the scenes

Oh how true, but they don't half do it well. 😉
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Still no ability to stop the annoying need to go to the internet before the app will work. This has been asked for, for years now. Do Sonos actually read these posts? If they do, why don't they deliver user requests, years old?
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Boo. :(

...and that's still more positive than chicks is ;)

How very confusing. On the Save the CR100 thread he was so enthusiastic about the powers of Alexa. Could it be possible that it is not perfect?

T
Boo. :(

...and that's still more positive than chicks is ;)

How very confusing. On the Save the CR100 thread he was so enthusiastic about the powers of Alexa. Could it be possible that it is not perfect?

T

Huh? This is a Sonos limitation, not an Alexa limitation. :8
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Obviously there is a lot to f behind the scenes work in this release that hopefully sets the system up for some major changes ahead.

Err so why release it to users. The behind the scenes work for no new features is of zero benefit to the users now (it maybe in the future). Why not keep it at Sonos.

Then release a version that kills the CR100 and delivers the benefits at the same time.

At the minute 8.5 is an own goal. Upsetting CR100 users, providing nothing for all other existing and new users, the only people pleased with 8.5 are those that would be happy if Sonos pooped in their hat.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Why release it to users. Wouldn’t you want all the backend stuff to be released so they can make sure no unexpected issues vs trying to release the backend changes and bug fixes at the same time as the new skills. Seems like reasonable software development to me.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I’m not happy or unhappy. Doesn’t effect me. Obviously needed for what they have planned coming soon down the pike. And for those who have thier systems locked down it is if it’s never been released so why do those people care if there is a release either.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Why release it to users. Wouldn’t you want all the backend stuff to be released so they can make sure no unexpected issues vs trying to release the backend changes and bug fixes at the same time as the new skills. Seems like reasonable software development to me.

Aaah the get the users to test the software routine. No I don't think that is reasonable. I would expect that to be the job of the software test engineers. I'm not part of the beta team.

Would seem to be part of the general cost cutting going though so I suppose its on message.