Sonos 8.3 - Navigation and Display Improvements

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
  • Community Manager
  • 9746 replies
The newest version of the Sonos app is now available. There are some big changes that I know some of you have been looking forward to since this holiday season. We’ve been hard at work developing and adding to Sonos and here to talk about it, we have Oliver from our product team.

Oliver, Principal Product Manager wrote:

I’m excited to let you all know that today we released Sonos 8.3 for iOS and Android. We’ve been paying close attention to the feedback here in the Community related to our 8.0 app redesign and this release has a few key changes to the user experience that I think you’ll be excited to see!

Tabs Everywhere

In October (version 8.0), we transitioned to a tabbed navigation interface to make switching between favorites, rooms and finding content simpler. While we believe this change improved navigation overall, we left the tabs off the Now Playing screen to keep the focus on the content.

This approach left many users feeling unmoored or lost on the Now Playing screen without the otherwise persistent tabs. In this 8.3 release, we’ve added tabs to the Now Playing screen to make sure that this navigation element is there for you wherever you go in the app.

Bringing Back Black

As you’ve probably already noticed from the above screenshot, we’ve gone to a black Now Playing screen from the more stark white, introduced in 8.0. The Now Playing screen is the most used screen in the app, and for many of you, the bright white background was just too much, especially in a dimly lit room or when you’re lying in bed.

We’re testing to understand user preference for a light app, dark app, or some combination of the two. So far, it looks like most folks have either no preference at all or prefer a mix. Among those with a preference, black is preferred over white. We’ve also heard requests for a day mode/night mode toggle and are investigating how many people would use that type of feature. Thanks in advance for your feedback on this topic, and please keep it coming. This is an area we’re looking at quite a bit right now.

More Room for Rooms

The last major change we’ve made in this update is to increase information density and overall usability of the Rooms tab. In the previous 8.0 release, we moved to a particularly “roomy” rooms tab, and while that layout worked well for users with just a few rooms, the screen started to become cumbersome for people with four or more rooms. We heard from many of you that it was more unnecessary effort to see what was playing in your household at a glance.

Overall, we expect these changes will be a nice improvement for most users and a start at addressing many of the most requested updates following our 8.0 release. In coming releases, we’re doing more work on Now Playing, specifically how you navigate in and out of that screen and how you group or ungroup rooms. We’ve gotten a lot of compelling feedback in this area as well. We’ll be sharing some more details about what’s coming up next soon. Stay tuned!

Minimum OS requirements for Sonos 8.3:

Android 4.3 or higher
iOS 9 or higher
macOS 10 or higher
Windows7 or higher

Have a device that doesn’t meet these requirements? More details here.

562 replies

Looks good!
Userlevel 2
Badge
Thank you!
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Looks good, but just these 3 changes?
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
camillo777 wrote:

Looks good, but just these 2 changes?

The app will continue to evolve, but these three changes are the big ones in this version that we wanted to highlight and bring to you all. We believe this will help with some of the biggest pain points people have had.

There are some other parts to this update as well, like some software fixes.
Thanks, Ryan and Oliver, nice to see that Sonos is listening, and incorporating suggestions made here in the boards into the software. Nice release!
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Big improvement. Thank you.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Yes, v8.3 just installed on my home system with no issues whatsoever and all appears to be working fine. The interface is much better now that the main bottom bar remains in view and the 'Rooms' tab is an improvement over v8.0.

I’ve not been too bothered about the screen-colour display issues, personally speaking, black or white etc.. as long as things work, then it’s fine with me.

Thanks (again) for this free upgrade.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Hi Ryan

Big improvement so far. Just the one comment; you acknowledge that the old ‘rooms’ screen was cumbersome for those with many zones. But the new version still only shows 3 rooms. Even your own pictures show that. It’s better - much better, so I’m not complaining, but it is still just 3 rooms, right ?

Andrew
Userlevel 1
I am probably an outlier, but I have double digit sonos products. It would be great if the rooms tab would be "dynamic," meaning if you had 3 rooms - more info, room "tiles" spread out, like the original 8.0 design. If you have 12 rooms, the room tiles would be compressed and smaller on the page.
Userlevel 2
Still looking forward to AirPlay. Hopefully soon!
Userlevel 2
How about audible intergrstion?
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
I seem to be unable to get the update on iOS 11 devices - tells me I need an update and opens to App Store where it shows that I have already got the latest version. My older iOS 10 devices updated correctly. Am I missing something?
Looks great, the biggest problem I have is that I can’t save any more sonos playlists, out of space. When will we be able to save to thour cloud, and sync between locations? That would be huge. Also would be great to share playlists with friends. I can create a playlist on my rhapsody account and be view everywhere, but can’t save a playlist back.
Userlevel 1
Please integrate Siri since most of your users are probably iPhone users. Alexa is buggy, not as user friendly, talks out at random times at night, and requires extra hardware.

Please integrate Siri.
Anyone know if the software for Sonos One has been updated to silence the Wake chime and control the volume of Alexa's voice? Very annoying!
Userlevel 1
Badge
I for one would be very interested in being able to choose the white or black now playing screen. Apps that are able to change from ambient lighting are best, but a quick toggle would be helpful.
Userlevel 1
When will a Trueplay update be available for iPhone X users?
andrewmk wrote:

the new version still only shows 3 rooms.

I see 4 of my 5 rooms on the iPhone. On the iPad, looks like there’s space for about 8 rooms in Portrait mode.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
hgmobile wrote:

I seem to be unable to get the update on iOS 11 devices - tells me I need an update and opens to App Store where it shows that I have already got the latest version. My older iOS 10 devices updated correctly. Am I missing something?

This sometimes happens in the App Store. Just uninstall the app and install it again. You'll get the right version.

reganowen wrote:

When will a Trueplay update be available for iPhone X users?

We're working on certifying the iPhone X for Trueplay. Stay tuned!
Userlevel 1
will audible work again on this version? so dissappointed to see that get cast away
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
chicks wrote:

andrewmk wrote:

the new version still only shows 3 rooms.

I see 4 of my 5 rooms on the iPhone. On the iPad, looks like there’s space for about 8 rooms in Portrait mode.

The display is also reactive to if there's music in the "Now Playing" section of the room. If no music is waiting, the room only take up about half the space as it doesn't save the room for album artwork. With no rooms showing music, I can fit about 6 on my screen at a time.

tompierce90 wrote:

will audible work again on this version? so dissappointed to see that get cast away

We're working with Audible. We'll share more soon as that develops. Stay Tuned!

How about adding Youtube Red?
I have two issues with the Sonos app at this point, though I have not tried the update that just came out:

1) Trying to shuffle all my songs (~8500) with Apple Music results in an endless hang;
2) The app regularly loses track of one or both of the speakers at my home. I routinely start playing music on one of the speakers and then go back into the app to pause or change tracks only to find that the app no longer knows that the speaker--which is playing music just fine--exists.

Please fix the bugs before worrying too much about interface improvements. The interface is OK, but the system needs to be rock-solid in order not to be just annoying.
Would it b possible to have an option to keep the white background?
That's great but when will amazon prime and Alexa be available in Canada?

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)