Update News

Sonos 11.1 Brings Sonos Radio

Sonos 11.1 Brings Sonos Radio

Show first post

164 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

I would like to add my voice to the people demanding an option to remove ‘Sonos Radio’ service without agreeing to the new privacy conditions.

In fact, I feel cheated. Before moving to 11.1, I checked the release notes, and the description of Sonos Radio which included instructions for removing the service. Knowing I would not want the new service, I thought it would be safe to move to the new version, then remove it. As it turns out, it does not show up on the list of services, probably until I actually install it by agreeing to new terms of service (which I cannot even read, as the in-app links do not work). There is no information anywhere to confirm that removing the service revokes my agreement to the new rules.

PLEASE ADD A REAL OPT-OUT OPTION ASAP.

I would like to add my voice to the people demanding an option to remove ‘Sonos Radio’ service without agreeing to the new privacy conditions.

In fact, I feel cheated. Before moving to 11.1, I checked the release notes, and the description of Sonos Radio which included instructions for removing the service. Knowing I would not want the new service, I thought it would be safe to move to the new version, then remove it. As it turns out, it does not show up on the list of services, probably until I actually install it by agreeing to new terms of service (which I cannot even read, as the in-app links do not work). There is no information anywhere to confirm that removing the service revokes my agreement to the new rules.

PLEASE ADD A REAL OPT-OUT OPTION ASAP.

In the v11.1 SONOS APP I removed under preferences, services, the SONOS Radio service account. The SONOS Radio icon has disappeared on my SONOS APP, so I believe this is a way to opt out.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Sonos  Radio, what a yawn!

Quite excited when I saw the announcement and added it to my system. Tried every channel and completely unimpressed. Just deleted it alL and will continue as before. 
Very disappointed to see it wouldn’t work with my 2 CR200s - “unable to play music”.

Still think the move to Sonos 2 is a dog’s breakfast and I now have >£1,000 of Sonos kit which I cant use it If I want to stay current. 30% off more kit I don’t need is no solution!!!!!

Sonos - you had a great thing with Sonos Radio until you put advertisements. Now it sucks. It’s great listening to Classical and be interrupted by a crappy jingle for Crest toothpaste. Damn. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Thanks for sharing bjw10. We’re excited about these early steps with Sonos Radio and what we might be able to build with it over time. To begin with, we’ve got partnerships with content creators and curators with some great first offerings. There will be more to come in the future as the service develops.

We weren’t able to bring Sonos Radio to the CR200, for the same reasons that the upcoming changes to the legacy devices is happening. These older devices simply don’t have the memory or processing power to handle new functionality. Legacy devices will keep on working, and we’ll keep providing fixes and security updates when possible, but the hardware is very limited by today’s standards. We’ve got all this and more on our article about Sonos S2 and what’s coming. f you wanted to switch to S2 on compatible devices, you’ll be able to separate your system into two systems as well. For more details on using S1 and S2 as two systems, see here

I immediately went looking for the David Byrne show, “Here Comes Everybody.” But I cannot find it in the archive, or search, it isn’t in with the “Sonos Presents” artists like Thom Yorke or the Third Man channel. I can’t even find when the new episodes air if it is live only.

How the heck do I find this show, it sounds amazing!!??!!??

Many thanks for anyone with answers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

I’ll pass along that feedback Philips999!

Sonos Radio isn’t linked with Alexa at this time, so unfortunately it won’t help fix that issue today.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Hello,

I have a question, I’m not able to find either the curated stations, Sonos Sound System, or artist stations. All I see on the Sonos Radio service are usual internet radios and local stations. Are those Sonos stations somehow region-restricted? I live in Czech Republic. Thank you for your answer.

As @Sjoop1985 said, they are currently region restricted. The Sonos Sound System, Genre and Artist Curated Stations are currently available in the US, Canada, Australia, UK, and Ireland. We hope to expand their availability in the future.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I didn't add the Sonos Radio service to my system yet there it is in my browse menu. How do I remove it from my browse page?

Badge

Does this stream at a higher bitrate than TuneIn?

When it comes to audio quality, there are two things you need to keep an eye on for streaming, bitrate and format. For example, a 256 kbps stream of mp3 audio generally doesn’t sound as good as a 128kbps AAC stream. With Sonos Radio, we balanced a codec and bitrate pairing that would sound as good as possible, while still respecting your bandwidth. Sonos Radio stations stream at 128kbps in AAC.

The bitrate for radio stations available in Sonos Radio from TuneIn or iHeart Radio will depend on the source of the station, who’s hosting it. A radio station stream generally comes from a partner that the station works with, and the quality could be anywhere from 64 kbps to 320 kbps, most cases having multiple streams at different qualities, and you’ll get served the one that’s best for your connection at the time you try to connect.

I’m hoping that Sonos Radio will be more reliable than TuneIn. After numerous TuneIn outages, I’ve have to delete some local TuneIn stations and replace them with the direct stream URL.

To Sonos: are you still relying on TuneIn to supply connectivity for local stations?

We’re still working with TuneIn, but we're also working with other partners and indexing our own streams. I believe you can also add direct URLs to Sonos Radio if needed. 

Thank you, will you be streaming at a lossless rate when the new controller is released?

I noticed for most stations here in the Netherlands, that they show TuneIn branded artwork on Sonos radio:

And show normal artwork when streamed on TuneIn:

So are the stations simply sourced from TuneIn? Will they eventually become “native”, streaming directly from the resource provided by the station itself?

The reason you have to create these data gouging services (so you can sell your customers data) when we already have a perfectly adequate solution TuniIn) is because we’re not buying your hardware because of your terrible privacy policy.

Wonderful contribution. So TuneIn does not mine data? You never use Google? Amazon? Facebook?
I already needed to register my system to an e-mail address when I first started Sonos in 2013 (7 years ago) and as far as I understand, Sonos has always gathered user data.

I understand the sentiment, somewhat, but if you don't want any of your data gathered, you should be living offline.

Badge

How do I set Sonos Radio as the default radio player for Google Assistant? Currently it still uses TuneIn when I ask it to play a radio station.

I’m still using a few CR200 controllers around the house. I’ve installed the Sonos Radio service, it appears on the controller but when I select it, all I get is ‘unable to browse music’.

Would it be a correct conclusion that Sonos Radio isn’t supported on the CR200?

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

If I’m listening to Radio Hour I can pause and restart the program, but I can’t see the timeline? Is this something that will be added later?

Userlevel 1
Badge

So you buy server space, develop collection software, and manage the data for nothing? Sound business? I bet you aggregate the data and sell that (hence it not being personal).

I don’t want that. I don’t want you to know what I’m listening to or how I use MY purchase. Why do you think you have a right to my data? Sonos speakers are not free.

I know 99% of people don’t care, but I DO. And as they say, a negative review hits 100 more people than a positive one. You’re really shooting yourselves in the foot. I hope you’re getting lots for my data, as you won't be getting any speaker sales until you stop ALL this data collection.

From the Verge:

'Sonos is partnering with TargetSpot to sell ad inventory and says “only general location data (ZIP code) and music genre information” is shared with advertising partners."

They are sharing data, collecting it and obviously want to monetize it as much as they can. They have been collectingv your usage and other data for years. Personally I'm happy they are upfront about it and have a good privacy policy.

You can choose not to install the Sonos Radio service. You can also block Sonos telemetry if you really want to (Google is your friend). 

Badge

If I install 11.1 I have to remove the service. If I want to stop MY speakers from collecting information that should be by default private, then I have to include every Sonos related URL on my firewall. In short, if I want to use the product I paid for as a speaker system, I have to be massively convenienced so Sonos can sell MY data.

This might be acceptable if this had been the case when I purchased the half-dozen Sonos products, but when I purchased the Connect, soundbar, etc. this was not the philosophy behind the product.

Sonos are stealing, or trying to steal, data that I don’t want them to collect, and my only choice is to inconvenience myself or bin the product. Should I be happy? All I’m asking for is an opt out of ALL data collection switch.

I suggest you get out Wireshark or such and have a look; to use Spotify (who also collect data I appreciate), or Apple Music the speakers don’t need to touch Sonos (as is my current setup).

Or you can just look back a few years (pre Apple Music I admit) and see no Sonos data collection was required. It’s only since ~7.x (fuzzy memory here), that I started seeing every operation (local or requiring a remote music service) instigate a call(s) to a Sonos domain (purely for data collection). BTW, that’s one reason why the controllers are slower than they used to be!

Unfortunately, every time I upgrade the firmware I have to stick the network monitor on to record for 24 hours+ to see all the new Sonos domains being used so I can add them to my block list.

Trust me, you don’t need this comms overhead unless you’re using voice control/assist on some of the newer products (which obviously I would never buy - equipped as I am with hand!).

This is a pure data-grab (voice asset excepted) - no functionality depends on the speakers communicating with Sonos (as I’ve proved/have currently setup).

Sonos Radio is another data-grab - it adds nothing Tune-In or the myriad or existing music services don’t already provide. They’d earn more by adding an opt-out option (being decent), and improving there hardware/software (the iOS controller app gets slower with every release).

SELL. YOUR.  SONOS. PLEASE!

Badge

The manufacture could listen their customers and restore the functionality originally sold? That is, provide me an option to opt-out of all data collection by Sonos.

Or Sonos could give me all my money back and come collect? Why do I have to make more effort to sell and lose money for their financial gain (data sales)?

There’s an option in the iOS app under Settings/Data & Privacy/Use Personalization Service, but setting this to disabled does NOT stop the system trying to send a packet (several in fact) to Sonos every time you hit play/stop/whatever. 

I repeat there is no reason for Sonos to be involved with the playback from local servers, nor music services like Spotify or Apple Music. I know this because I’ve stopped all such attempts. 

The speakers make the request(s) directly to the music service, and then interpret the stream from those services. This does NOT involve Sonos. The reason there’s an attempt by the speakers to send data to Sonos is to steal it - plain and simple. 

My agreement with Apple (the music service I now use, previously Spotify) is to stream me music. I accept they collect (accord to their privacy policy) some data, and if I don’t like it I can stop paying.

My agreement with Sonos was cash in exchange for speakers, NOT to provide them with insight into how and why I use them. They have changed the deal; we (owners) should be getting the money they sell our data for.

If you’ve “stopped all such attempts”, why are you here complaining about it?  Is this mere posturing?  

I’m complaining because I waste a mound of time every time there’s an update (like now). I have to monitor the network to see what ‘new’ domains they’re now sending to so I can add them to the firewall. 

I also don’t think I should have to police a product I paid for under a different agreement. 

So you are posturing.  Gotcha.

I can’t decide if I like the Thom Yorke station or not.    It keeps going from just weird enough to be interesting to too weird to really get into.

Sharing and Disclosure of Aggregate Data

We share data in aggregate form and/or in a form which does not enable the recipient of such data to identify you, with third parties, for example, for industry analysis.

They don’t do this for the good of their health! As written, wise-up!

I don’t want Sonos to collect the data; if they didn’t have an ulterior motive to collect it, they wouldn’t choose to fight constant bad press for their universally slammed privacy policy.

From this forum: https://en.community.sonos.com/community-feedback-229090/complaint-to-the-uk-ico-and-referral-to-the-dutch-data-protection-authority-6827089

I see you stuck your head in the sand in this post

*yawn*

I also find the station names ‘Rock Road Trip’ and ‘Cruise Control’ a little odd for a home audio system.  :grinning:

Just put a road trip on the TV and put some music on :)

Noted.  And I’m going to assume that I can listen to Cocktail Hour at any time of day.

Exactly:

Sharing and Disclosure of Aggregate Data

We share data in aggregate form and/or in a form which does not enable the recipient of such data to identify you, with third parties, for example, for industry analysis.

You DO ‘share’ OUR data, and I’m sure you don't share it for the good of your health.

Who gave you this right? It wasn’t a condition of purchase when I gave you thousands of dollars!

You were politely asked to take this to another thread.  This thread is about the Sonos Radio release, not your privacy concerns.

And sharing is not selling.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

I also find the station names ‘Rock Road Trip’ and ‘Cruise Control’ a little odd for a home audio system.  :grinning:

Just put a road trip on the TV and put some music on :)

Noted.  And I’m going to assume that I can listen to Cocktail Hour at any time of day.

That’s a bold decision, but I like it. It’s your prerogative, and I hear that it’s 5 o’clock somewhere… :)