Software News

Sonos 11.0 Now Available

• 10 March 2020
  • 47 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
  • Community Manager
  • 12270 replies

Sonos version 11.0 is available today, with improved app performance and reliability. 

How to update your system:

Go to Settings > System > System Updates, or click the “Update Now” button, if it appears on your controller. If you have automatic updates enabled, your system will update automatically, though you may need to update your Sonos app manually depending on your App settings. You can enable automatic software updates if you haven’t done so under System > System Updates so that they update without your intervention, that way your system is up to date anytime you go to use it.

You can find our most recent release notes in our article ‘Release Notes for Sonos Software’. If you have any other issues relating to updating your system, please check this article: ‘Error message when attempting to update Sonos system’

47 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Did you change the network modes drastically in this release? I have a 12 zone Sonos system, all current generation hardware, 6 nodes are wired and the other 6 are wireless using SonosNet. This has all been working fine. The last few days I started having severe problems on my home network (dropped packets, dhcp problems, etc) that feels like something has looped the network (spanning tree problems).

When I dug into it, I noticed that (a) all my Sonos zones are acting flaky (app on my phone intermittently can connect or not, doesn’t see all Sonos zones, and app on my computer fails to update), and (b) Sonos software 11.0 recently released. So I figured maybe this was the culprit, unplugged all the Sonos units from my home network, and all the problems went away - the rest of my network is acting flawlessly.

Of course at this point I don’t have any Sonos units reachable. Then I plugged exactly one of them back into the wired network, 10 of the 12 came online correctly, 1 said it still needed the 11.0 update so I applied it and that worked fine, 1 was missing so I moved it to a place with better wireless connectivity (this was one of the ones I prefer to wire to ethernet), it booted to a blinking white light, I left it alone for a few minutes and it eventually appeared on the network running 11.0.

At this point the Sonos system was performing correctly except I’d prefer to have the zones that can reach an Ethernet port, using Ethernet instead of wireless, but this is fine for now. But about 2 hours later, I checked again and 11 of the zones had fallen out of the app -- the only one reachable is the one wired into Ethernet. Since then, I’ve checked a few more times and zones keep coming and going unpredictably - sometimes the app says it can’t detect Sonos on my network at all, right now it can see 8/12 zones, and so on.

I think at this point I'd be better off using wireless client mode than SonosNet which used to work great, but I need to get all the nodes online at once to switch them to wireless mode.

(BTW while troubleshooting all this, I did reboot my router and all the Sonos devices.)

Summary: my 12-zone system was working great under 10.6 and prior software releases, the 11.0 update seems to have introduced severe problems that broke basic Sonos functionality, Sonos updates to the software on both computers and some of the Sonos hardware, and functionality affecting non-Sonos machines on my network too.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Hi Michael, the App browses an index of the library, created by the players when you set up the library. Only your Sonos players directly will access the digital location of the library. So your app can see the tracks that were indexed once upon a time, but when it tells the players to go try and play those tracks, the location is no longer accessible for some reason. usually that’s caused by something on the computer, or NAS drive, such as a firewall. But it could be other things as well.

I’d suggest that you contact our support team directly to investigate this issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Ryan what, if any, impact does this have the decisions that will need to be made by customer sover whether to go legacy / split system etc?

Sonos 11.0 is available for all Sonos speakers including ones that will become legacy in May. So this doesn’t have any impact on the decision so to speak, it’s just another update for all that will bring some improvements to basic stability in a few ways.

Sonos Community - Please do not update to this release.  Ever since I did my system randomly drops speakers. Its seemingly impossible to add them again and different mobile apps show different components - it’s infuriating.

Please - is it possible to roll back the update?   

It’s not the update; there would be a 1000 page thread if it were the update.  Power outages or a router reboot cause the router to lose the settings in its address table.  This causes causes havoc for Sonos updates because every unit reboots, causing it to get an IP address that was already in use before the router went wonky.  Do a network refresh, then reserve IP addresses for your sonos devices in the router setup and it will never happen again. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I may be going mad but there seems to be a big improvement in sound quality with this release. I’ve changed nothing else system sounds so much better, especially the bass quality. Less boomy and more punchy. 

Did you change the network modes drastically in this release? I have a 12 zone Sonos system, all current generation hardware, 6 nodes are wired and the other 6 are wireless using SonosNet. This has all been working fine. The last few days I started having severe problems on my home network (dropped packets, dhcp problems, etc) that feels like something has looped the network (spanning tree problems).

When I dug into it, I noticed that (a) all my Sonos zones are acting flaky (app on my phone intermittently can connect or not, doesn’t see all Sonos zones, and app on my computer fails to update), and (b) Sonos software 11.0 recently released. So I figured maybe this was the culprit, unplugged all the Sonos units from my home network, and all the problems went away - the rest of my network is acting flawlessly.

Of course at this point I don’t have any Sonos units reachable. Then I plugged exactly one of them back into the wired network, 10 of the 12 came online correctly, 1 said it still needed the 11.0 update so I applied it and that worked fine, 1 was missing so I moved it to a place with better wireless connectivity (this was one of the ones I prefer to wire to ethernet), it booted to a blinking white light, I left it alone for a few minutes and it eventually appeared on the network running 11.0.

At this point the Sonos system was performing correctly except I’d prefer to have the zones that can reach an Ethernet port, using Ethernet instead of wireless, but this is fine for now. But about 2 hours later, I checked again and 11 of the zones had fallen out of the app -- the only one reachable is the one wired into Ethernet. Since then, I’ve checked a few more times and zones keep coming and going unpredictably - sometimes the app says it can’t detect Sonos on my network at all, right now it can see 8/12 zones, and so on.

I think at this point I'd be better off using wireless client mode than SonosNet which used to work great, but I need to get all the nodes online at once to switch them to wireless mode.

(BTW while troubleshooting all this, I did reboot my router and all the Sonos devices.)

Summary: my 12-zone system was working great under 10.6 and prior software releases, the 11.0 update seems to have introduced severe problems that broke basic Sonos functionality, Sonos updates to the software on both computers and some of the Sonos hardware, and functionality affecting non-Sonos machines on my network too.

This update detrimentally affected my system as well. iOS app very slow to load. Screen song playing is out of sync with what’s actually playing.  Sound breakup when using multiple speakers in a group. I wish I had not updated.

Further on my Sonos 11 upgrade problem.  I followed troubleshooting going to Kaspersky Firewall on the PC and there is no Sonos network defined now!

How do I get it back?

See if this link assists.…

Configuring your firewall to work with Sonos

I have only the BRIDGE and a CONNECT device, no speakers in my system.  The problem seems to be that the Sonos network - in my case pretty much just the BRIDGE - does not identify itself to the router as it should after loading 11.  I never touched the router or the previous two routers I’ve had for Internet and Cable service over the years I’ve had the Sonos equipment.  So the fact that the proper routing is missing for the BRIDGE appears to be its problem.   The app on my phone accesses the computer just fine for my library and all else.  But it does not see the BRIDGE apparently because the BRIDGE is not properly setup.  That led me to call it a new system, but that did not change anything.

It’s easy then, as you only have the one Sonos device. Power off the Bridge and go from step 4 in my earlier post and cable the ‘Connect’ in its place… then when all is working, go onto factory reset the Bridge and add it back to your setup ‘away from the router’. 

It appears the Sonos 11 update has broken my system. I can login to my account online and see my system with all the components listed as “online” but my app and mac controller show no devices at all. What’s going on here? And yes… I did reset the router already. 

I will assume here that you normally run your Sonos setup connected to your routers WiFi… if so, perhaps try the following:

Temporarily cable just one standalone Sonos speaker/device to your newly factory-reset router. Then ensure your Android or iOS mobile controller is connected to the routers 2.4ghz WiFi network and then open the Sonos App. 

Ensure all your devices reappear in the App, if any do not appear, then power those devices off/on again and wait a few minutes to see if they come back online.

Once all devices are present in the App, navigate to “Settings/System/Network/Wireless Setup” and just re-enter your 2.4ghz WiFi credentials (SSID/Password - case sensitive). You can then uncable the speaker/device from the router and return it to where you want and all being well, everything should then work as before. 🤞

I may be going mad but there seems to be a big improvement in sound quality with this release. I’ve changed nothing else system sounds so much better, especially the bass quality. Less boomy and more punchy. 

Brother, it ain’t just you. I have also noticed a big improvement in sound; like really really big improvements. The sound from my Sonos One is fuller and has more bass. I am also noticing much deeper base from my home theatre setup. I usually have the sub level at the default level, but when the bass hits I find myself going back to the setting to confirm I haven’t mistakenly turned up the sub level; something I sometimes do when I really wanna jam. 

Badge

I have a number of Google Nexus 7 tablets stationed around the house to use (mainly) as controllers for Sonos and other electronic features in the house. Although an old design they worked very well until the recent v11 of the app was issued at which point they do not work with Sonos at all because they operate on Android 6.0.1 (with no possibility to upgrade to a higher OS). Why is there not an option to run them on a previous version of the app albeit with a lower level of features (as happened with the CR100 and CR200)? The tablets are locked out by the app and there appears to be no way to revert to an older form of the app (accepting that not all features will be available).

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

I unplugged a speaker, did the update and powered the speaker back up. The little notice on the Rooms menu is quite handy.

Try a reboot of your router, followed by a reboot of your speakers. If that doesn’t fix it, log in to your Sonos account here and check to ensure that your country location is specified. Sonos uses this as a pre-filter to determine which services are shown to you. Less obvious is the fact that a service won’t show up if, at the moment you open that page, the service’s server is down. It’s always worth waiting 10 minutes and trying again.

Finally, if you’re still having the issue, contact Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

I usually suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available because they're on the phone with you, but they are available Monday through Friday during business hours. The Twitter support folks are available 24/7. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Has this scuppered connection to SMB shares on Freenas? I can no longer connect to my music library, the app tells me that the server isn’t responding. Can see the shares fine from my laptop using Windows Explorer.

This update didn’t have anything in it that changes file sharing for SMB. Make sure your FreeNAS still has SMBv1 enabled and you should be fine to use it as your music library.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Sonos Community - Please do not update to this release.  Ever since I did my system randomly drops speakers. Its seemingly impossible to add them again and different mobile apps show different components - it’s infuriating.

Please - is it possible to roll back the update?   

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I updated some time ago, and have had no problems on any of my speakers. Maybe you have other problems in your infrastructure?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

jgatie wrote

Do a network refresh, then reserve IP addresses for your sonos devices in the router setup and it will never happen again

This is certainly worth doing. I have fixed ip addresses for my speakers. 

Give that a go, and please let us know the outcome.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Try a reboot of your router, followed by a reboot of your speakers. If that doesn’t fix it, log in to your Sonos account here and check to ensure that your country location is specified. Sonos uses this as a pre-filter to determine which services are shown to you. Less obvious is the fact that a service won’t show up if, at the moment you open that page, the service’s server is down. It’s always worth waiting 10 minutes and trying again.

Finally, if you’re still having the issue, contact Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

I usually suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available because they're on the phone with you, but they are available Monday through Friday during business hours. The Twitter support folks are available 24/7. 

Thanks Bruce! now work fine 😊 

Userlevel 1
Badge

The original mesh networking (SonosNet) seems entirely broken in this release for me. I moved my system over to wireless client mode and it’s working much better. I learned about mixed mode (first move the entire system to wireless client mode and make sure it works, then for any device within reach of ethernet, plug it into ethernet and disable WiFi in the system settings for that specific device, then make sure you have WM=0 for only the devices plugged into ethernet and WM=1 for remaining devices in the system details), and that also appears to be working fine. But the automatic mesh was working great for me before 11.0, so something significant must have changed.

@metamatt, SonosNet is still working fine for me. A reboot of ‘router → wired Sonos components → wireless Sonos components’ (in that order) helps flushing out duplicate IP addresses or other hiccups that might occur after a firmware update. Your system is running in a so called forced LAN/WLAN mixed mode now. Monitor the system’s behavior closely.

Updating my Windows controller I am greeted with this. Given what I am reading above not really inclined to try again until a point release is out.

Whenever I have personally seen this kind of failed-update issue, I have removed/uninstalled the Sonos controller software and downloaded it again from HERE and done a fresh install.

During setup I choose the option to “Connect to an Existing Sonos System” … that has always worked for me.

Open up a new thread in the ‘Ask a Question’ area, with more details, and I’m sure someone can help.

They already did.

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/play-5-first-gen-and-sonos-controller-11-6838100

I just updated to Sonos 11.  My system is only a bridge to my living room and has been working just fine until the update.  The update completed fine and all looks fine on the PC.  But the bridge reports to the app on phone “unable to connect to “ and the PC reference like “//COMPUTER/FLAC”.  It is a Windows 10 system.

It does get a stream from Amazon Music and gets radio, but fails to connect to my library.

I have powered off and on both the bridge and the Sonos connection box.

Where do I go now?

Further on my Sonos 11 upgrade problem.  I followed troubleshooting going to Kaspersky Firewall on the PC and there is no Sonos network defined now!

How do I get it back?

One more further on the Sonos 11 upgrade problem.  I reloaded the app on the phone.  Nothing different - I can access the library with the app but the connect cannot.

So I reinstalled the app and told it that the system was new.  Now it cannot find the bridge at all.

My router sees the bridge.

So now I have a brick as far as doing anything useful goes...