Software News

Sonos 11.0 Now Available

• 10 March 2020
  • 47 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
  • Community Manager
  • 12269 replies

Sonos version 11.0 is available today, with improved app performance and reliability. 

How to update your system:

Go to Settings > System > System Updates, or click the “Update Now” button, if it appears on your controller. If you have automatic updates enabled, your system will update automatically, though you may need to update your Sonos app manually depending on your App settings. You can enable automatic software updates if you haven’t done so under System > System Updates so that they update without your intervention, that way your system is up to date anytime you go to use it.

You can find our most recent release notes in our article ‘Release Notes for Sonos Software’. If you have any other issues relating to updating your system, please check this article: ‘Error message when attempting to update Sonos system’

47 replies

One more further on the Sonos 11 upgrade problem.  I reloaded the app on the phone.  Nothing different - I can access the library with the app but the connect cannot.

So I reinstalled the app and told it that the system was new.  Now it cannot find the bridge at all.

My router sees the bridge.

So now I have a brick as far as doing anything useful goes...

I did not ever have any problem before today when I put SONOS 11 in.  I never had to touch my AT&T UVERSE router, and I have no intention of fooling with it.  I only put 11 in because nothing would work without the upgrade first.

This is absolutely unacceptable.

One more further on the Sonos 11 upgrade problem.  I reloaded the app on the phone.  Nothing different - I can access the library with the app but the connect cannot.

So I reinstalled the app and told it that the system was new.  Now it cannot find the bridge at all.

My router sees the bridge.

So now I have a brick as far as doing anything useful goes...

Just another Sonos user here, it very much sounds like you did the wrong thing and possibly setup/created a new Sonos system using the Controller App… if that is the case, then your wired Bridge will be looking for newly setup devices. Meanwhile your other unwired Sonos devices are looking for the previous version of your Bridge … hence you are having difficulties connecting/seeing your original Sonos system.

It’s probably all a bit of a mess at the moment.

At least that’s what I personally think you may have done, based on the description of things that you mention in your posts above.

However all may not be lost so here is my suggestion of how to ‘possibly’ undo your mistake…

1. Power off all Sonos products
  2. Reset your Sonos App in App preferences.
  3. Uncable the BRIDGE from the router
  4. Cable any other standalone Sonos speaker to your router and power it on (give it a minute to settle and connect)
  5. Open controller App and choose option to connect to ‘existing system’ (do not create a new system)
  6. If controller connects okay, check that you have the correct music services, playlists etc. from your original system. If so that’s good news. If not, then go through the process  again from step 4 above but try a different standalone speaker until you find your original setup.
  7. Once you find your original system… you can then power on each one of your Sonos speakers (except for the Bridge). Most should reappear in your Sonos App but give them a minute or two to reappear. Try and get as many up and running as you can.
  8. Any devices that do not appear.. just power them off for now.
  9. At the end you will probably be left with just the Bridge and ‘perhaps’ one or two speakers that may have not connected back to your system.
  10. You need to not wire the Bridge to the router, but simply factory reset it and then add it to your setup away from the router by going into the App ‘Settings/System/Add Boost or Bridge’ … note it may initially detect the Bridge as a Boost, but ignore that and continue with the setup. 
  11. You can then swap your cabled speaker with the newly setup Bridge.
  12. Finally you can factory reset any other Sonos devices that had failed to connect to your system and add those back to your setup via ‘Settings/System/Add Product’

Hopefully if you can follow these steps carefully you ‘might’ get back your original Sonos setup.

Hope that assists and gets your system back up and running.👍

Just want to share that my SONOS ONE (3), ONE SL (1) and Beam (1) are running fine on the version 11.0. I have the SONOS APP version 11.0 installed on my iOS (iPhone and iPads) and macOS devices.

I have only the BRIDGE and a CONNECT device, no speakers in my system.  The problem seems to be that the Sonos network - in my case pretty much just the BRIDGE - does not identify itself to the router as it should after loading 11.  I never touched the router or the previous two routers I’ve had for Internet and Cable service over the years I’ve had the Sonos equipment.  So the fact that the proper routing is missing for the BRIDGE appears to be its problem.   The app on my phone accesses the computer just fine for my library and all else.  But it does not see the BRIDGE apparently because the BRIDGE is not properly setup.  That led me to call it a new system, but that did not change anything.

I have only the BRIDGE and a CONNECT device, no speakers in my system.  The problem seems to be that the Sonos network - in my case pretty much just the BRIDGE - does not identify itself to the router as it should after loading 11.  I never touched the router or the previous two routers I’ve had for Internet and Cable service over the years I’ve had the Sonos equipment.  So the fact that the proper routing is missing for the BRIDGE appears to be its problem.   The app on my phone accesses the computer just fine for my library and all else.  But it does not see the BRIDGE apparently because the BRIDGE is not properly setup.  That led me to call it a new system, but that did not change anything.

It’s easy then, as you only have the one Sonos device. Power off the Bridge and go from step 4 in my earlier post and cable the ‘Connect’ in its place… then when all is working, go onto factory reset the Bridge and add it back to your setup ‘away from the router’. 

OK I connected my CONNECT directly to the router and loaded the app yet again (apparently it cannot be reset and instead must be removed and reinstalled).  Now the PC library still is not reachable.  Looking at the Kaspersky firewall, there is no Sonos network established so no route to the PC exists.  It appears that rebuilding the routes did not happen as they needed to.

OK I connected my CONNECT directly to the router and loaded the app yet again (apparently it cannot be reset and instead must be removed and reinstalled).  Now the PC library still is not reachable.  Looking at the Kaspersky firewall, there is no Sonos network established so no route to the PC exists.  It appears that rebuilding the routes did not happen as they needed to.

Are you using the netbios device name in the Sonos library path, or are you using it’s specific IP address?... if it’s the latter, you perhaps may just need to check the IP address hasn’t changed and then alter it accordingly and do not forget to reindex the library and update the Sonos players.

The library is identified by name, not IP address.  The setup worked all along.  Clearly the library is accessible by the app since it shows all that it should, but it isn’t passed along properly to the CONNECT now.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Hi Michael, the App browses an index of the library, created by the players when you set up the library. Only your Sonos players directly will access the digital location of the library. So your app can see the tracks that were indexed once upon a time, but when it tells the players to go try and play those tracks, the location is no longer accessible for some reason. usually that’s caused by something on the computer, or NAS drive, such as a firewall. But it could be other things as well.

I’d suggest that you contact our support team directly to investigate this issue.

Badge

It appears the Sonos 11 update has broken my system. I can login to my account online and see my system with all the components listed as “online” but my app and mac controller show no devices at all. What’s going on here? And yes… I did reset the router already. 

It appears the Sonos 11 update has broken my system. I can login to my account online and see my system with all the components listed as “online” but my app and mac controller show no devices at all. What’s going on here? And yes… I did reset the router already. 

I will assume here that you normally run your Sonos setup connected to your routers WiFi… if so, perhaps try the following:

Temporarily cable just one standalone Sonos speaker/device to your newly factory-reset router. Then ensure your Android or iOS mobile controller is connected to the routers 2.4ghz WiFi network and then open the Sonos App. 

Ensure all your devices reappear in the App, if any do not appear, then power those devices off/on again and wait a few minutes to see if they come back online.

Once all devices are present in the App, navigate to “Settings/System/Network/Wireless Setup” and just re-enter your 2.4ghz WiFi credentials (SSID/Password - case sensitive). You can then uncable the speaker/device from the router and return it to where you want and all being well, everything should then work as before. 🤞

I may be going mad but there seems to be a big improvement in sound quality with this release. I’ve changed nothing else system sounds so much better, especially the bass quality. Less boomy and more punchy. 

Brother, it ain’t just you. I have also noticed a big improvement in sound; like really really big improvements. The sound from my Sonos One is fuller and has more bass. I am also noticing much deeper base from my home theatre setup. I usually have the sub level at the default level, but when the bass hits I find myself going back to the setting to confirm I haven’t mistakenly turned up the sub level; something I sometimes do when I really wanna jam. 

Badge

I have a number of Google Nexus 7 tablets stationed around the house to use (mainly) as controllers for Sonos and other electronic features in the house. Although an old design they worked very well until the recent v11 of the app was issued at which point they do not work with Sonos at all because they operate on Android 6.0.1 (with no possibility to upgrade to a higher OS). Why is there not an option to run them on a previous version of the app albeit with a lower level of features (as happened with the CR100 and CR200)? The tablets are locked out by the app and there appears to be no way to revert to an older form of the app (accepting that not all features will be available).

Has this scuppered connection to SMB shares on Freenas? I can no longer connect to my music library, the app tells me that the server isn’t responding. Can see the shares fine from my laptop using Windows Explorer.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Has this scuppered connection to SMB shares on Freenas? I can no longer connect to my music library, the app tells me that the server isn’t responding. Can see the shares fine from my laptop using Windows Explorer.

This update didn’t have anything in it that changes file sharing for SMB. Make sure your FreeNAS still has SMBv1 enabled and you should be fine to use it as your music library.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Sonos Community - Please do not update to this release.  Ever since I did my system randomly drops speakers. Its seemingly impossible to add them again and different mobile apps show different components - it’s infuriating.

Please - is it possible to roll back the update?   

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I updated some time ago, and have had no problems on any of my speakers. Maybe you have other problems in your infrastructure?

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Thanks for sharing, Rob. As nik9669a suggests, most likely this is some network trouble or something local to your system, not an issue with the update itself.

Sonos Community - Please do not update to this release.  Ever since I did my system randomly drops speakers. Its seemingly impossible to add them again and different mobile apps show different components - it’s infuriating.

Please - is it possible to roll back the update?   

It’s not the update; there would be a 1000 page thread if it were the update.  Power outages or a router reboot cause the router to lose the settings in its address table.  This causes causes havoc for Sonos updates because every unit reboots, causing it to get an IP address that was already in use before the router went wonky.  Do a network refresh, then reserve IP addresses for your sonos devices in the router setup and it will never happen again. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

jgatie wrote

Do a network refresh, then reserve IP addresses for your sonos devices in the router setup and it will never happen again

This is certainly worth doing. I have fixed ip addresses for my speakers. 

Give that a go, and please let us know the outcome.

Badge

We, as Android user, care most about the Chromecast functionality. We don't really care about Sonos Radio, or any other updates.

How could a some cheap speakers have both Airplay and Chromecast functionality, but not these expensive Sonos speakers. 

I am considering selling off my Sonos system and go with other alternatives, cheaper, but more functionalitie .