Update News

Sonos 10.6 Now Available

• 11 December 2019
  • 78 replies
Sonos 10.6 Now Available
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

In 10.6, we have made a number of changes. We have made additional performance enhancements and improved reliability for Sonos systems.

Another important thing to note is that soon, there will be some changes in the way Spotify connects to your Sonos system.

You can find our most recent release notes in our article:
Release Notes for Sonos Software.

Spotify Changes: How Spotify connects to Sonos.
Starting soon, your Sonos players will need to be running software version 10.4 or higher in order to be controlled by Spotify apps running on your devices. If you have been keeping your system up to date, you will not notice any changes once this goes into effect.  

If you’re using older software and haven’t updated yet, you can continue to use the Sonos app to play Spotify on Sonos, but the Spotify app will be unable to control what’s playing. We always recommend keeping your Sonos system up to date with the latest software.

Also please note: This is the last update for iOS 10 and Android 5 and 6. Devices running those operating systems will be able to connect to Sonos systems and control basic functions, but be unable to access most settings. 

To get your system up to date, follow these steps:
Go to Settings > System > System Updates, or click the “Update Now” button, if it appears on your controller. If you have automatic updates enabled, your system will update automatically, though you may need to update your Sonos app manually depending on your App settings. You can enable automatic software updates if you haven’t done so under System > System Updates so that they update without your intervention, that way your system is up to date anytime you go to use it.

It’s usually a good idea to enable automatic software updates under System > System Updates, so that your system is always up to date anytime you go to use it.

If you have any other issues relating to updating your system, please check this article:
Error message when attempting to update Sonos system. 

78 replies

Userlevel 2

I no longer rush to update Sonos, nor any firmware for that matter. If the system is running well enough, why risk it? I like the hardware but I really think Sonos is going the wrong way on software.

Userlevel 1

Ever since doing this 10.6 update, all of my line-in sources are coming in as compressed with a two second delay. I have even tried factory resetting and I have the same results. Can someone please tell me if they are having the same problem? Thanks.

Another update, another 2 hours spent trying to find the right combination of reboot speakers, reboot router, reboot computer, changing channels, and whatever else I can come up with.  When they are working, my two Play 1s and one Play 5 sound fine.  But when they don’t work - like today  - i start looking for Bluetooth options.  Good enough is better than not working at all.

Used to happen to me.  Turned out to be a network problem due to duplicate IP assignments.  I did a full network refresh, then reserved IP addresses for each unit in my router setup.  Been rock solid for years since.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Come on Sonos support - what on earth have you done with this release?  iOS 10.6 controller app can no longer connect to Sonos kit when the Boost/Connect/speakers are on another secured VLAN.  Many people keep their Sonos type kit on a secured IoT VLAN.

Many users with Unifi networking kit have VLAN segregation and well established firewall rules that allow the controller app on one VLAN to connect to the speakers on their IoT VLAN.  This has been working for years but is now broken with Sonos 10.6 update on iOS/Android/Windows 10.  There’s nothing in the release notes to indicate any changes to cross VLAN access.

Links to posts about this include: -

Reddit

vlan-issue-on-unifi-network-after-10-6-update-on-ios-6833871

sonos-control-across-a-vlan-has-stopped-working-6833843

Any comments on when a fix will be available?

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Grrr!  I have only a CR200 as my controller.  Why, oh why, can’t you just add an an option to TURN OFF update notifications?   I don’t even want to know by an added item to the main menu screen.  Should be easy enough to shift the update notice to the Settings screen?

Because Sonos, like literally every other company in the world, really REALLY really wants you to update to the latest software. They don’t want to have to support deprecated products and they don’t want to debug issues that were already fixed a year ago. They will never hide the updates because that’s exactly the opposite of what they want. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Thanks for sharing. You’re correct, there is one issue being looked into that prevents the line-in level from being changed properly. So if it’s on Compressed, it might not be able to change off of that level. But that error shouldn’t have set it to compressed in the first place. I do see that newly set up units might get stuck in there. In either case, the solution is going to be to wait for a little while as the team is working on a resolution right now for that issue.

Ever since doing this 10.6 update, all of my line-in sources are coming in as compressed with a two second delay. I have even tried factory resetting and I have the same results. Can someone please tell me if they are having the same problem? Thanks.

I'm having the same exact issues and have spent hours trying to fix it.  I talked to a supervisor at Sonos and he said it's a known issue and hopefully will have a patch fix in the next couple weeks.

Thanks; no clue what “full network refresh,” or “reserved IP addresses for each unit,” means.  But I shall search for meaning.  Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Power off everything and bring things back online in this order…

1. Modem/Router
  2. Wired devices (Switches/Sonos boost etc.)
  3. Wireless devices (nearest device first, then next nearest and so on).
  4. Sonos controllers (desktop & mobile)

Power on each device one at a time and allow it to settle and connect online before moving onto the next device.

Reserved IP Addresses…..

The router itself dishes out IP addresses to each device as it connects to the local network which may look something similar to this ‘192.168.1.174’ .. these so called IP addresses can be permanently assigned to a networked device, such as a Sonos speaker, so that it always gets the same IP address, even after the network router has been switched off and on again. This ‘assignment’ is referred to as ‘Reserving an IP address’ and there is a table-like area for reserving such addresses on all home routers … called the DHCP Reservation Table.

So you need to find the instruction manual for your router (usually available online) and it will show you how to navigate to the routers configuration pages to login into the router (usually via a web browser or App) and update that DHCP reservation table and reserve all the Sonos IP addresses in there.

...and just to assist a little further, if you open the Sonos App and goto ‘Settings/System/About my Sonos’ you will see a list of all your Sonos devices held in your system and alongside each entry it will show their current dynamically assigned IP address etc. You may find that information helpful whilst you are going through the process of fixing your devices IP addresses within the routers configuration settings.

Hope that information assists… btw you may also find YouTube videos on this topic that can lead you through the process, which actually is quite simple and usually only takes a minute, or so, to do, per network device.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Hi everyone, @lispenard,, @bras04, and @Mevideot, that means you! 🙂 With the 10.6.2 update today, the delay/line-in latency issue should be fixed. There are also some new settings that you can use with your line-in to adjust the delay (still a minimum of 75 ms) in new ways. Make sure you’ve set the line-in to uncompressed, and you can pick your delay now.

Hi,

sonos follows the actual trend to outdate older Smartphones. I am running Android 6 and now support is terminated :-(

sadly

merry christmas

You need to think a bit more clearly and carefully about what is going on here.  Smartphone manufacturers outdate smartphones, because they then sell more new smartphones.  What would Sonos gain by ‘outdating’ a phone?  What would they sell more of?  What is actually happening is that the developing Sonos system needs the features of a particular OS. If the manufacturer of a device has decided not to upgrade that device to a sufficiently recent OS then that is beyond Sonos’ control

A phone running Android 6 is still supported for use in controlling the system, but not for system management tasks.  It is not correct to say that ‘support is terminated’.

Hm,

in the Moment i cant manage my System with Windows Destop. In the future i cant manage the System with my actual Android. So, for me there is no chance to add sonos equiment to my System.

So - no business for sonos !

I have the problem similar to your case since it was upgraded to version 10.6, For 4 years I had no problems I have two play 5, I think the problem is firmware 10.6 is too lag

Just got a build update today. Version stayed at 10.6.1 though. What has changed?

would be so much better if the app showed the release notes, preferably before you press update... 

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Hey Nozuka, today’s update is pretty minor, just a few fixes for some bugs. The most notable is an improvement to a grouping playback issue with home theater devices, the main thread on it is here. 10.6.1 doesn’t have changes to the line-in delay issue mentioned a few posts up, but the team is working on that one as well.

Badge

Thanks Bruce - I know… I will get the case opened with support. In the meantime, thought to let ppl know that update crashes win 10 app - so if you depend on it, don’t update… also, tagged Ryan just now. best, nrr

W10 user here with no issue. No comfort to @Nash_R I know,  but given how long 10.6 has been out we would know by now if there was a general problem  

No problems on Win10 either. Its my primary controller. Nash… Press WinKey + R and type in msconfig and press enter. On the Startup tab, uncheck everything and click OK. Reboot your computer and then see if Sonos starts. If so it is a software conflict with another running app, which you just disabled. The fun comes in trying to figure out which one. At this point you can re-enable them one at a time and reboot after each, trying Sonos. Or you can just leave it as is if your system is running normal.

Another option before all that is try disabling your antivirus and see if Sonos starts.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

I’ve been struggling with a Spotify volume issue and i think this might have fixed it. Can you confirm?? 

@RumorConsumer, a version of the Spotify app was just released today with some fixes for unexpected volume changes on iOS with Sonos. I’m not sure if that’s what you were seeing, but make sure you’ve updated your Spotify app. The issue I mentioned before was resolved for Android phones, but it looks like the iOS version for the fix wasn’t out until today.

Yet still no update on line-in latency issues...

The only update I want to see is 7.1 or 7.1.2 or higher I am ready to ditch Sonos for an Lg sound bar with 7.1.4

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi, askaletti. We do not discuss future plans for products and features, although I’ve captured your feedback and will forward it as necessary. Many thanks for your input and do let us know if you have any further questions.

On Sonos Beam voice activation, plays the dreaded message with ‘Audio actions aren’t available’ for everything voice related now. The functionality has gone also. This is for Alexa routines.

Will be taking back my system unless I can get some clear communication on this. Bit annoyed as I have been chasing this for almost a year with Sonos. 

This thread is 6 months old and references the old 10.6 release.  You would probably get a faster response by posting in an on-topic thread.  

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Grrr!  I have only a CR200 as my controller.  Why, oh why, can’t you just add an an option to TURN OFF update notifications?   I don’t even want to know by an added item to the main menu screen.  Should be easy enough to shift the update notice to the Settings screen?

No worries. Don’t forget that wireless interference isn’t from just within your home. While I’ve had instances inside my own network/home, my most recent issues were caused by external influences. In that case, either the neighbor set up a new router, or just changed channels they were using, which affected my WiFi network.

And it’s rarely the up and down speed from the modem to the outside world that’s an issue, but the connectivity between the router and the speakers. Less so if you wire them directly, although while you’d not need to worry about wireless interference, you’d still have the potential for duplicate IP addresses. Nothing is ever as simple as we want it ;)

Thanks; no clue what “full network refresh,” or “reserved IP addresses for each unit,” means.  But I shall search for meaning.  Thanks for taking the time to respond.