Update News

Sonos 10.6 Now Available

• 11 December 2019
  • 76 replies
Sonos 10.6 Now Available
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

In 10.6, we have made a number of changes. We have made additional performance enhancements and improved reliability for Sonos systems.

Another important thing to note is that soon, there will be some changes in the way Spotify connects to your Sonos system.

You can find our most recent release notes in our article:
Release Notes for Sonos Software.

Spotify Changes: How Spotify connects to Sonos.
Starting soon, your Sonos players will need to be running software version 10.4 or higher in order to be controlled by Spotify apps running on your devices. If you have been keeping your system up to date, you will not notice any changes once this goes into effect.  

If you’re using older software and haven’t updated yet, you can continue to use the Sonos app to play Spotify on Sonos, but the Spotify app will be unable to control what’s playing. We always recommend keeping your Sonos system up to date with the latest software.

Also please note: This is the last update for iOS 10 and Android 5 and 6. Devices running those operating systems will be able to connect to Sonos systems and control basic functions, but be unable to access most settings. 

To get your system up to date, follow these steps:
Go to Settings > System > System Updates, or click the “Update Now” button, if it appears on your controller. If you have automatic updates enabled, your system will update automatically, though you may need to update your Sonos app manually depending on your App settings. You can enable automatic software updates if you haven’t done so under System > System Updates so that they update without your intervention, that way your system is up to date anytime you go to use it.

It’s usually a good idea to enable automatic software updates under System > System Updates, so that your system is always up to date anytime you go to use it.

If you have any other issues relating to updating your system, please check this article:
Error message when attempting to update Sonos system. 

76 replies

Just got a build update today. Version stayed at 10.6.1 though. What has changed?

would be so much better if the app showed the release notes, preferably before you press update... 

No mention of 10.6.1 on the release notes page - the iOS Sonos Controller App Version History states: ‘Performance enhancements and improved reliability’.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

I’ve been struggling with a Spotify volume issue and i think this might have fixed it. Can you confirm?? 

@RumorConsumer, a version of the Spotify app was just released today with some fixes for unexpected volume changes on iOS with Sonos. I’m not sure if that’s what you were seeing, but make sure you’ve updated your Spotify app. The issue I mentioned before was resolved for Android phones, but it looks like the iOS version for the fix wasn’t out until today.

Yet still no update on line-in latency issues...

Badge

It seems like the latest SONOS update dec2019 has affected audible library since it’s not loading anymore to browse books on SONOS. Advanced SONOS tech was not able to help. Can anyone please fix this issue

thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Hi everyone, @lispenard,, @bras04, and @Mevideot, that means you! 🙂 With the 10.6.2 update today, the delay/line-in latency issue should be fixed. There are also some new settings that you can use with your line-in to adjust the delay (still a minimum of 75 ms) in new ways. Make sure you’ve set the line-in to uncompressed, and you can pick your delay now.

Userlevel 1

Hi everyone, @lispenard,, @bras04, and @Mevideot, that means you! 🙂 With the 10.6.2 update today, the delay/line-in latency issue should be fixed. There are also some new settings that you can use with your line-in to adjust the delay (still a minimum of 75 ms) in new ways. Make sure you’ve set the line-in to uncompressed, and you can pick your delay now.

Thank you! It works. The only issue is that I’m unable to find the ‘group delay’ setting mentioned in the release notes. I love the improvements to specify different delays for different line in’s. This solves a lot of problems for me

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Glad that’s working for you, @bras04. The Group Audio Delay settings is a Home Theater setting, so it’ll only show for your TV inputs. It will make the speakers grouped with your Home Theater speaker more delayed than previously, but will make them more robust against cutouts because it adds a larger buffer to the audio.

Userlevel 2

In 10.6, we have made a number of changes. We have made additional performance enhancements and improved reliability for Sonos systems.

Another important thing to note is that soon, there will be some changes in the way Spotify connects to your Sonos system.

Are these kind of changes will make a legacy product not able to play Spotify??? 

If it is... Our legacy products will very soon be unable to stream music from major music streaming music.  It's a shame. 

Really SONOS must provide solutions to continue using main function on our legacy products. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Are these kind of changes will make a legacy product not able to play Spotify??? 

If it is... Our legacy products will very soon be unable to stream music from major music streaming music.  It's a shame. 

Really SONOS must provide solutions to continue using main function on our legacy products. 

This sort of change could, however, all legacy devices should have already gotten this update, and certainly will have the chance to do so between now and May when they stop receiving future updates.

Will this update brick my legacy devices?  BTW, Sonos you are never getting another penny of mine!!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Will this update brick my legacy devices?  BTW, Sonos you are never getting another penny of mine!!!

If you’re referring to the topic in this thread, than no, this isn’t an update that does anything to legacy devices. The update that moves some of our oldest devices over to a legacy status is coming in May. Those devices have reached the limit of their memory and processing power will and no longer receive software updates and new features. However, they’ll continue to work as they have been. See the topic I linked for more details.

If you’re referring to the topic in this thread, than no, this isn’t an update that does anything to legacy devices. The update that moves some of our oldest devices over to a legacy status is coming in May. Those devices have reached the limit of their memory and processing power will and no longer receive software updates and new features. However, they’ll continue to work as they have been. See the topic I linked for more details.

Your failed attempt to make me buy more didn’t succeed, and Sonos’ belief that bricking a device somehow is eco-friendly, total farce, means you are of my list to buy stuff.  If your management isn’t smart enough to know your customers then you don’t deserve them!!!.  Maybe you can turn that around maybe you can’t, but Sonos has lost me as a customer, but you now have TWO issues you need to overcome for me to comeback, ironically BOTH are terrible decisions/beliefs from SONOS management!!!  

Nope, sonos is still out of sync with my apple TV. Any suggestions?

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hello @lispenard, if you are still experiencing delays can you follow these steps to  submit a diagnostic  and include the confirmation number in your response. Does this sync issue only occur with Apple TV audio or does this happen with other audio sources as well?  

Hi @Jean C. Thanks for the response. The sync issue happens with any line-in source so not just apple TV. The issue seems to be with the physical connection 

Updating is almost always a crapshoot for me.  Eighty percent of the time the update works seamlessly.  I’m sure something is going on inside the program, but I never notice any significant changes.  The other 20 percent of the time the update leads to me having to reboot speakers, routers, the electrical circuits going into my house - who knows.  When that happens I go through the usual advice about getting the speakers to work again, and (so far) they do - sometimes within minutes, other times it takes a few hours.

So when I see the dreaded “Update Now” order on my screen, all I can think of is “Do you feel lucky, punk?”

That’s a pretty good indication of occasional wifi interference, with some or all of your speakers losing connection during the update process. 

Thank you for that suggestion, Airgetlam.  “Reduce wireless interference” is one of the sites I ritually return to when I run into problems related to updates.  My sonos system (twp play 1s and a Play 5) are located in my 350 sq foot office.  Wireless signal (from cable modem) is hardwired into my office router, @ 115 Mbps download and 15 Mbps up.  It’s a fairly minimalist office, but as you say, it could be occasional wireless interference.

I appreciate the advice.

No worries. Don’t forget that wireless interference isn’t from just within your home. While I’ve had instances inside my own network/home, my most recent issues were caused by external influences. In that case, either the neighbor set up a new router, or just changed channels they were using, which affected my WiFi network.

And it’s rarely the up and down speed from the modem to the outside world that’s an issue, but the connectivity between the router and the speakers. Less so if you wire them directly, although while you’d not need to worry about wireless interference, you’d still have the potential for duplicate IP addresses. Nothing is ever as simple as we want it ;)

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @lispenard If you are experiencing this delay on multiple sources all the more reason I would want to look at a diagnostic report from your Sonos system.

If you post the number here or reach out to our support team we can look a little more closely at what’s happening. 

Another update, another 2 hours spent trying to find the right combination of reboot speakers, reboot router, reboot computer, changing channels, and whatever else I can come up with.  When they are working, my two Play 1s and one Play 5 sound fine.  But when they don’t work - like today  - i start looking for Bluetooth options.  Good enough is better than not working at all.

Another update, another 2 hours spent trying to find the right combination of reboot speakers, reboot router, reboot computer, changing channels, and whatever else I can come up with.  When they are working, my two Play 1s and one Play 5 sound fine.  But when they don’t work - like today  - i start looking for Bluetooth options.  Good enough is better than not working at all.

Used to happen to me.  Turned out to be a network problem due to duplicate IP assignments.  I did a full network refresh, then reserved IP addresses for each unit in my router setup.  Been rock solid for years since.

Thanks; no clue what “full network refresh,” or “reserved IP addresses for each unit,” means.  But I shall search for meaning.  Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Thanks; no clue what “full network refresh,” or “reserved IP addresses for each unit,” means.  But I shall search for meaning.  Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Power off everything and bring things back online in this order…

1. Modem/Router
  2. Wired devices (Switches/Sonos boost etc.)
  3. Wireless devices (nearest device first, then next nearest and so on).
  4. Sonos controllers (desktop & mobile)

Power on each device one at a time and allow it to settle and connect online before moving onto the next device.

Reserved IP Addresses…..

The router itself dishes out IP addresses to each device as it connects to the local network which may look something similar to this ‘192.168.1.174’ .. these so called IP addresses can be permanently assigned to a networked device, such as a Sonos speaker, so that it always gets the same IP address, even after the network router has been switched off and on again. This ‘assignment’ is referred to as ‘Reserving an IP address’ and there is a table-like area for reserving such addresses on all home routers … called the DHCP Reservation Table.

So you need to find the instruction manual for your router (usually available online) and it will show you how to navigate to the routers configuration pages to login into the router (usually via a web browser or App) and update that DHCP reservation table and reserve all the Sonos IP addresses in there.

...and just to assist a little further, if you open the Sonos App and goto ‘Settings/System/About my Sonos’ you will see a list of all your Sonos devices held in your system and alongside each entry it will show their current dynamically assigned IP address etc. You may find that information helpful whilst you are going through the process of fixing your devices IP addresses within the routers configuration settings.

Hope that information assists… btw you may also find YouTube videos on this topic that can lead you through the process, which actually is quite simple and usually only takes a minute, or so, to do, per network device.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Power off everything and bring things back online in this order…

1. Modem/Router
  2. Wired devices (Switches/Sonos boost etc.)
  3. Wireless devices (nearest device first, then next nearest and so on).
  4. Sonos controllers (desktop & mobile)

Power on each device one at a time and allow it to settle and connect online before moving onto the next device.

Reserved IP Addresses…..

The router itself dishes out IP addresses to each device as it connects to the local network which may look something similar to this ‘192.168.1.174’ .. these so called IP addresses can be permanently assigned to a networked device, such as a Sonos speaker, so that it always gets the same IP address, even after the network router has been switched off and on again. This ‘assignment’ is referred to as ‘Reserving an IP address’ and there is a table-like area for reserving such addresses on all home routers … called the DHCP Reservation Table.

So you need to find the instruction manual for your router (usually available online) and it will show you how to navigate to the routers configuration pages to login into the router (usually via a web browser or App) and update that DHCP reservation table and reserve all the Sonos IP addresses in there.

...and just to assist a little further, if you open the Sonos App and goto ‘Settings/System/About my Sonos’ you will see a list of all your Sonos devices held in your system and alongside each entry it will show their current dynamically assigned IP address etc. You may find that information helpful whilst you are going through the process of fixing your devices IP addresses within the routers configuration settings.

Hope that information assists… btw you may also find YouTube videos on this topic that can lead you through the process, which actually is quite simple and usually only takes a minute, or so, to do, per network device.

What type of product would require that type of BS reboot?   Imagine needing to do that with a printer?  or a TV?  Or a computer.  RIP  SONOS, I used to love you.