Sonos 10.0 is Now Available

Show first post

145 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +18
ladofdestiny wrote:

So hang on, we’re saying that a sound bar with built in alexa can’t ever play a show/sound that has a word that sounds anything like ‘alexa’ without going ‘bong’ and semi muting the sound while it waits for a command??? This seems like a basic requirement for the product to work as a tv sound bar...surely this is a fatal flaw of this product, right?

That judgment is up to you. I'm not defending the situation, I'm just explaining that it's hard to change (although not impossible). If I were watching a program that generated frequent wake-word detections, I'd just toggle the microphone temporarily.
Badge
Except that it can be a random word that’s not even ‘alexa’ ...but close. Turning the mic on and off in shows that might say a word like it doesn’t seem like a viable solution, but I do understand what you’re getting at.
ladofdestiny wrote:

So hang on, we’re saying that a sound bar with built in alexa can’t ever play a show/sound that has a word that sounds anything like ‘alexa’ without going ‘bong’ and semi muting the sound while it waits for a command??? This seems like a basic requirement for the product to work as a tv sound bar...surely this is an embarrassingly obvious fatal flaw of this product, right?

My Amazon Echo (wake word 'Echo') is doing this too, all the time. So it isn't just an issue/annoyance with Sonos Beam or Sonos ONE.
Badge
If it were some other alexa enable device doing it, I could understand, but when it’s the actual device you buy to MAKE the sound, and it keeps hearing its own sound, and semi muting itself... that seems like a very silly oversight.
Userlevel 6
Badge +18
ladofdestiny wrote:

Except that it can be a random word that’s not even ‘alexa’ ...but close. Turning the mic on and off in shows that might say a word like it doesn’t seem like a viable solution, but I do understand what you’re getting at.

FWIW, my various Amazon Echo devices occasionally trigger on something coming through my various Sonos players (radio, TV, etc.). Since these speakers are set as preferred devices for the Echoes, the speakers 'duck' their volume -- the same as the Beam case.
Userlevel 6
Badge +18
ladofdestiny wrote:

If it were some other alexa enable device doing it, I could understand, but when it’s the actual device you buy to MAKE the sound, and it keeps hearing its own sound, and semi muting itself... that seems like a very silly oversight.

I'm sure it's not an oversight, it's just quite difficult to circumvent.
ladofdestiny wrote:

Actually, the Beam are two separate devices: the TV soundbar which plays the TV audio and Alexa (= the upper part of the chassis with the microphones built in). There are also two entries for the Beam/ONE in the Alexa app.
Badge
The two separate parts thing makes sense, so it really is like a speaker there and an alexa device sitting right by it. Still, I found it to be incredibly annoying, but I’ll admit it is a first world problem :). I suppose I just expected more from
sonos.
ladofdestiny wrote:

The two separate parts thing makes sense, so it really is like a speaker there and an alexa device sitting right by it. Still, I found it to be incredibly annoying, but I’ll admit it is a first world problem :). I suppose I just expected more from
sonos.

It is incredibly annoying, anyhow, Alexa is just a dumb machine, far from being an AI.
ladofdestiny wrote:

So hang on, we’re saying that a sound bar with built in alexa can’t ever play a show/sound that has a word that sounds anything like ‘alexa’ without going ‘bong’ and semi muting the sound while it waits for a command??? This seems like a basic requirement for the product to work as a tv sound bar...surely this is an embarrassingly obvious fatal flaw of this product, right?

Well that certainly cannot be the case as I see/hear the Amazon Alexa advert on the TV and my Beam never responds when Alexa is uttered in that instance. I assume therefore it’s whatever Amazon may have catered for behind the scenes.
Userlevel 3
Badge +9
How Amazon prevents Alexa from responding during commercials and (sometimes) during broadcast TV programs.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/tech/5503926/amazon-echo-alexa-ad-wake-up-word/
I also use Google Home devices and they too can occasionally respond to things said on TV/Radio, in fact I probably get slightly more issues with 'Hey Google' than I do with 'Alexa', but they are still very few and far between. The situation has certainly got much better over time. It’s people who have family members called 'Alexa' that I feel sorry for. It’s the one reason why there perhaps ought to be at least one alternative wake word on a Sonos device .. not sure though if that’s perhaps an Amazon limitation??

I occasionally tend to trigger Alexa too, whenever the post/mail arrives and I mention that there is 'A letter' ... obviously that does sound pretty close to the wake word, but I’m not one to really make a fuss about such things. Voice assistants are still relatively new technology and they do appear to continue to improve on an almost daily/weekly basis.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
No more wake up chime ...nice,thank you Sonos ...but, if i ask Alexa to play my playlist and follow up mode is ON there is still chime after she execute command.Actually follow up mode doesn't work anymore in my case after latest update..

https://youtu.be/CuyucPxoNiU
Yes, the same chime also reappears in other areas too... such as when there is music already streaming on another device and you make a further request to play another stream on a different device. The warning message 'Amazon Music is streaming on another device etc. etc.' has the 'bong' after it too.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I'm stuck in a loop on all of my IOS devices. Open the app, get lets look for update screen, looks for update, none needed screen but the lets look for update screen doesn't disappear. I can't play anything! Sorted, 25 mins later, it just suddenly started showing as normal! Weird!!
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
They fixed wake up sound but broke follow up mode.Well,back to Amazon Echo until next update .
are there bugs in the update for mac and ios ?? since updating lost connection to my speakers, have had to re-add existing speakers, still having issues with playbse. the mac controller keeps asking me repeatedly to register speakers before continuing. the whole time thought it was my wifi or network. not happy as spent the last hour trying to fix.
Userlevel 6
Badge +21
brettski1968 wrote:

are there bugs in the update for mac and ios ?? since updating lost connection to my speakers, have had to re-add existing speakers, still having issues with playbse. the mac controller keeps asking me repeatedly to register speakers before continuing. the whole time thought it was my wifi or network. not happy as spent the last hour trying to fix.

Hi

Make sure your devices meet the requirements in the link...then post back...if still having issues.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/126?language=en_US
Badge
player wrote:

They fixed wake up sound but broke follow up mode.Well,back to Amazon Echo until next update .

Follow up mode is working fine on my Sonos Beam.
Userlevel 6
Badge +21
brettski1968
There’s a difference between volunteering advice on a Community website as opposed to preaching to someone like they’re stupid, which I am not. If my equipment was working previously and has been flawlessly for 2 years wouldn’t that indicate that it meets all requirements ??

Not Necessarily

All equipment working now so clearly not an issue my end, but with the Sonos update and servers.

I doubt it

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings