Sonos 10.0 is Now Available

Show first post

145 replies

contracts34 wrote:

Hi Ken. I have tried both but currently running on SonosNet. If you look at previous Sonos responses, that is the only thing they suggest, which to my mind is not a solution, just a work around. Compressed audio is not as good and a small but annoying downside is, if I lift the stylus at any point, the sound out continues for a couple of seconds. I feel that having invested £0000's in my system, I should not have to compromise the sound for functionality.

I don’t currently use a 'line out' turntable, personally speaking, but do connect a play-5 line-in to a 'Receiver' and can get great audio from that completely uncompressed.

Not sure if it’s a limit of the turntable output, but anyhow, I too use SonosNet, but have ensured that it’s wireless channel in Advanced setting of the Sonos App is set at least 5 channels away from other WiFi channels in my locality.

My neighbours router is presently using channel 6 and my own router is broadcasting on channel 11 and so I set SonosNet well out the way on channel 1.. ensuring it was not suffering any wireless overlap. I moved a good number of my non-Sonos WiFi devices over to my routers 5ghz band too.

I also set my play:5 speaker 4 feet away from other wireless devices and the audio from the Receiver works okay for me. Not sure if any of those things will help you, as I say, it maybe limited by the turntable in your case, but perhaps worth trying these things, that’s if you have not done that already? I used the free app called wifiinfoview to scan and find the local WiFi channels around my home, just for your info.
Ken_Griffiths wrote:

contracts34 wrote:

Hi Ken. I have tried both but currently running on SonosNet. If you look at previous Sonos responses, that is the only thing they suggest, which to my mind is not a solution, just a work around. Compressed audio is not as good and a small but annoying downside is, if I lift the stylus at any point, the sound out continues for a couple of seconds. I feel that having invested £0000's in my system, I should not have to compromise the sound for functionality.

I don’t currently use a 'line out' turntable, personally speaking, but do connect a play-5 line-in to a 'Receiver' and can get great audio from that completely uncompressed.

Not sure if it’s a limit of the turntable output, but anyhow, I too use SonosNet, but have ensured that it’s wireless channel in Advanced setting of the Sonos App is set at least 5 channels away from other WiFi channels in my locality.

My neighbours router is presently using channel 6 and my own router is broadcasting on channel 11 and so I set SonosNet well out the way on channel 1.. ensuring it was not suffering any wireless overlap. I moved a good number of my non-Sonos WiFi devices over to my routers 5ghz band too.

I also set my play:5 speaker 4 feet away from other wireless devices and the audio from the Receiver works okay for me. Not sure if any of those things will help you, as I say, it maybe limited by the turntable in your case, but perhaps worth trying these things, that’s if you have not done that already? I used the free app called wifiinfoview to scan and find the local WiFi channels around my home, just for your info.

Thanks again Ken. i have SkyQ in the house which sets up it's own mesh on 5Ghz so I have disabled the 5Ghz option on my router as it caused other problems with my Sonos equipment in the past. I have tried some but not all of what you suggest so will give the rest a go this evening. Very helpful advice though :)
Userlevel 6
Badge +18
contracts34 wrote:

Is there any planned update around the issue when using a turntable as line in (via a connect ZP90) that unless "compressed" is selected, I am getting speakers dropping out. I do not want compressed audio.

In 'Uncompressed' mode Sonos uses a shallow 70ms buffer, to minimise distribution delays. This means that even a very short burst of wireless noise will lead to the receive buffer being exhausted, resulting in a dropout.

In 'Compressed' mode, as well as reducing the bandwidth to about 300kb/s, the buffer is increased to ~3s. It's generally the buffer depth that's the issue, not the bandwidth. It's a very challenging scenario for wireless communication, and (IMO) it's not a defect per se, although I'd like Sonos to offer better options to adjust buffer depth and choose the types of compression.

There is an undocumented feature that may help in your case. In the mobile app, switch back to 'Uncompressed', and in the 'Line-In Source Name' for your turntable's Line-In, choose 'Airplay Device'. This changes the buffer depth to ~500ms, which may be enough to deal with temporary interruptions.

I'll conclude by saying that the Compressed stream is actually quite high quality, and it's very hard to discern audible differences between it and Uncompressed. It certainly exceeds the audio requirements of *any* turntable, since turntables are relatively low fidelity inputs (which is not to say that they can't sound good).
I there any known issues with Update 10,0?
Since i have updated my Soundbar and Play 1 both sound tinny, and out of sync. The music also sounds flat in comparison to the vocals.
I've retuned TRUEPLAY and is affects both speakers i am confident its not a broken speaker.
I use to listen music via spotify and let the spotify app control my sonos speakers. Doing so I noticed that the speakers do not reliably report their state to spotify and thus sometimes loose connectivity, display the wrong tune or even fail to skip two tracks within 5 seconds or so. Has this issue been addressed in this release?
Badge +3
britcowboy wrote:

Ryan S wrote:

Trueplay support for new iOS devices

With Sonos 10.0, Trueplay is enabled on 11-inch and 12.9-inch iPad Pro models running the latest iOS versions. Check out our page here for full details on Trueplay and Sonos.

Would be nice if Sonos realised that not everyone uses iOS. I understand you can't support every android phone, but you could support the flagship devices - I'm a software dev and I'm not buying that you couldn't just pick the 5 or so Android flagships and get them calibrated to work with TruePlay. My Pixel 3 is just as good as an iPhone XS, but because I haven't got an iDevice I can't get the full effect out of my sonos speakers I've spent hundreds on.

I don't have an iPhone either, but borrowed a friends phone while visiting, and went thru the Trueplay setup using it. Took about 5 minutes total. You then don't need the iphone. Trueplay did improve the sound on my stereo Play 3's. I agree, it would be best supported on Android, but you can get Trueplay setup pretty easy.
Nothing is working from any of our Sonos Controllers. Went to bed last night and everything worked fine, woke up this morning to find our iOS controllers updated. Now we are not able to play any music service or even view the Rooms. Anytime we try to play a song, artist, radio station, anything at all. We are forced into a loop of "Removing it from My Sonos" and adding it back. Then on the My Sonos page it states "This content is no longer available. Tap Edit to remove it from My Sonos".

On top of not being able to play music. When I go to the "Rooms" tab, it's completely blank. When I go into Search, find an artist or song. Then tap "Add Song to My Sonos". The controller responds with "Song Tile added to My Sonos" upon returning to My Sonos and trying to play the song, once again we receive "This content is no longer available. Tap Edit to remove it from My Sonos".

We've been a loyal customer for well over a decade, we've dealt with all the bugs such as songs dropping out, skipping, etc but this has to be the worst update yet. As a last resort, I updated the Controller on my Mac laptop and it's even worse, no devices / Rooms, won't play a song after selecting it from the Music Source. Nada, the entire system is dead.

Any advice? I've already submitted a diagnostics report. #263612341
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
britcowboy wrote:

Would be nice if Sonos realised that not everyone uses iOS. I understand you can't support every android phone, but you could support the flagship devices - I'm a software dev and I'm not buying that you couldn't just pick the 5 or so Android flagships and get them calibrated to work with TruePlay. My Pixel 3 is just as good as an iPhone XS, but because I haven't got an iDevice I can't get the full effect out of my sonos speakers I've spent hundreds on.

So if data shows that the Pixel 3 is actually the 6th most used android device by Sonos customers, you would then be ok with no Trueplay on your device? And let's say it turns out to be #5 on the list. What should Sonos do when 6 months later it drops to #7? Drop support and calibrate for the new #5?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
furiouswithsonos wrote:

Any advice? I've already submitted a diagnostics report. #263612341

When people have issues like this after an update, it's often the router giving out duplicate IP addresses. Before you do anything else, I'd unplug your Sonos speakers and router. Plug the router back in, and then shortly after start plugging in Sonos one by one.

For a more long term solution reserve IP addresses for Sonos in your router configuration.
Userlevel 6
Badge +21
melvimbe wrote:

I think I might be the only person here who's thinking about leaving the chime (bong) on.

You're not along.
Emile G. wrote:

Not really important but several Sonos controllers (all on 9.3. all Apple) told me I was going to update to 9.3 when they were in fact updating to 10.0. Looks like someone forgot to change a string.

Same for me. But now everything is on 10.0
I found some strange problems after the update. I cant reach my speakers (ones) via the sonos app, but I can still use alexa...
My speakers are also visible to alexa in the alexa app(!)
Ive restarted speakers and router etc, , but no joy in the native ios app.
Anyone else noticed something similar with a solution?
Cheers
Hi, I have 3 Sonos ones, 2 out of the 3 have updated with the removal of Alexa chime. The other one chimes after Alexa has spoken, but not before (it does when I switch the option back on). This speaker was part of a pair. I unpaired, repaired. Have conducted a factory reset and it still chimes once after Alexa has spoken. Can anyone provide any advice?

I know the update has worked, as 2 of them do not chime at all. I just have one that chimes after Alexa has spoken, it is really annoying!
trokey81 wrote:

Hi, I have 3 Sonos ones, 2 out of the 3 have updated with the removal of Alexa chime. The other one chimes after Alexa has spoken, but not before (it does when I switch the option back on). This speaker was part of a pair. I unpaired, repaired. Have conducted a factory reset and it still chimes once after Alexa has spoken. Can anyone provide any advice?

I know the update has worked, as 2 of them do not chime at all. I just have one that chimes after Alexa has spoken, it is really annoying!

Toggle the button in the room settings to the 'off' position and see if that fixes it... if not, put it 'on' and select 'done' ...and then toggle it 'off' again. Hopefully that will sort it.
Ken_Griffiths
Ken_Griffiths 12 minutes ago
trokey81 wrote:

Toggle the button in the room settings to the 'off' position and see if that fixes it... if not, put it 'on' and select done ...and then toggle it 'off' again. Hopefully that will sort it.

Unfortunately that hasn't worked. I've unpaired, then carried out same action. Repaired. It's just one speaker chiming after Alexa has spoken. Switch chime on, it chimes then Alexa speaks then chimes again. It's really odd that only one device does it. As I said have reset and tried everything. Very odd!
trokey81 wrote:

Unfortunately that hasn't worked. I've unpaired, then carried out same action. Repaired. It's just one speaker chiming after Alexa has spoken. Switch chime on, it chimes then Alexa speaks then chimes again. It's really odd that only one device does it. As I said have reset and tried everything. Very odd!

The button needs to be 'off' rather than 'on'.
Userlevel 4
Badge +7
Smilja wrote:

Not everyone owns a 'Flagship' (aka fancy Samsung phone), so there might be countless customers out there feeling duped / second-class customers if Sonos would indeed provide Trueplay for 'upper-class' flagship devices.

You mean like all Android phone owners feel now?
Userlevel 3
Badge +9
Overall, I'm very pleased with this ' minor' update, and in particular the ability to disable the chime as well as today's fix for Alexa routines.

Note, however, that the chime is still present in Follow-Up mode (after the initial request). Hopefully that can be addressed at some point as well, but it's a minor nit for me as I only have that enabled on a couple of devices.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
It looks like youtube music rolled out with this update...

https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/30/18204000/youtube-music-premium-sonos-speakers-app
Important to note, for those who won't click on your link, it is for premium accounts only.

Edit: Per the article, YouTube Premium and YouTube Music Premium only.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Airgetlam wrote:

Important to note, for those who won't click on your link, it is for premium accounts only.

Edit: Per the article, YouTube Premium and YouTube Music Premium only.

Good point Bruce...
And, while we were patting each other on the back :), Ryan has posted a new thread:

https://en.community.sonos.com/music-services-and-sources-228994/now-playing-youtube-music-on-sonos-6820039
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Airgetlam wrote:

And, while we were patting each other on the back :), Ryan has posted a new thread:

https://en.community.sonos.com/music-services-and-sources-228994/now-playing-youtube-music-on-sonos-6820039

I totally missed that announcement. Now I feel foolish.
Sonos can never release an update without breaking things.

It seems like Sonos did fix one issue that many people had complained. Previously, if you minimize the sonos app on IOS or Android, launch another app, and try to go back to the Sonos app, the Sonos app will freeze and you have to do a force shutdown of the Sonos app and reopen it. I updated v10 yesterday, and it seems like the issue is fixed. (Finally after a few months)
camillo777 wrote:

jgatie wrote:

Are people calling this a "major release" simply because of the number? If so, I suggest you ignore the number.

This is a well known universal convention and best practice in software development...

{snip}

"Operating systems iOS 9 and Android 4.x are partially supported by the Sonos App and can't update to 10.0. "

This, IMHO, qualifies for a major version bump. It's certainly not the kind of thing you expect to break in a minor version number increment.

I know they broke the Dock between two versions of 9.x, so they're still not being super consistent,

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings