Songza Moving the Music Over to Google Play

• 28 January 2016
  • 20 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
  • Community Manager
  • 11324 replies
On January 31st, Songza will be merged into Google Play Music. Songza’s themed playlists and services will live on within Google’s service. They’re already available to free Google Play Music accounts, and the paid version has all the free features plus on-demand listening, without any ads.

Both paid and free Google Play Music accounts can be added to Sonos already. However the free version on Sonos lacks the Songza stations currently. We’re working to get the full features of the free service added to Sonos and plan to have these stations added to free accounts for you this spring.

For more details about the Songza and Google Play Music merger take a look here: http://www.sonos.com/songza-google

We’d like to keep the music playing in your homes, so here’s a link for a 3-month trial of Google Play Music so you can continue listening to your favorite Songza playlists and more on Sonos. The trial does require you to input a credit card, though there is no charge until the trial expires, and it’s only available to Google accounts that haven’t used a trial or other coupon within the last 12 months. You can cancel the automatic renewal at any time during the trial.

We’ve been working to bring the full features of Google Play Music's free offering (including the newly acquired Songza stations) to Sonos, but a recent change in development has made us unable to execute this prior to your Google Play Music trial expiration. We apologize that we were unable to deliver on this feature integration and we understand this is disappointing news for many users.

If you have an Android device, you can still enjoy all the free features of Google Play Music by playing directly to Sonos. Simply tap the cast button and select the Sonos group you’d like to play it to, all without ever leaving the Play Music App.

There are many music services available on Sonos, both subscription based and free, and the list is constantly growing. If you’re looking for a radio service similar to that of Songza, you may want to try AccuRadio. AccuRadio is one of the oldest operating Internet radio services and offers hundreds of customizable channels targeting a wide range of genres. You can find more information about our available services here: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3736.

One of our major focuses for the future is improving our streaming service integration on Sonos, and Google Play Music will remain to be a priority for us. While we don’t have a timetable available for getting the features of free radio added to Sonos, we’ll keep you updated if anything changes in the future.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

20 replies

Ryan:
Sorry, extremely disappointed that Songza has disappeared. Despite Sonos stating that it was moved, the best part (and the reason why I bought your expensive equipment) was the concierge. This is not in the Google Play Music merger. I won't hold my breath waiting for 'Spring' for the inclusion. Seems that all I have now is a real expensive radio.
Sonos has really dropped the Canadian customers on this one. Until the concierge is back, I vehemently oppose giving a thumbs up for any more purchasers (I use to sing-the-praises of Sonos to colleagues.....)
What is the reasons for the removal of Songza? Why did you do this to loyal customers?
Lizardking,

If you read the thread and the links therein, you would realize Songza was bought by Google in 2014. In December of last year, Songza was folded into Google Play Music and thus does not exist in a standalone form anymore. This is not Sonos' doing, it is Google's, thus Sonos did not "remove" Songza (or any of its features) at all, Google did. As stated above by Ryan S of Sonos, currently the Songza/GPM combination is available via Google Play Music's premium subscription. Sonos is working to get it added to the GPM free subscription by Spring.

Now you can believe these fact or not, though I may add Sonos very, very, very rarely states what they are working on and when they expect it released, unless they are 100% sure it is coming for the predicted time period. The last time Sonos gave a heads up on a release and its expected date? It was Apple Music, to be released in early 2016. Apple Music was released today, February 10, 2016.

For more info on the Google/Songza purchase and the latest new on Songza, see thins link:

http://techcrunch.com/2015/12/02/google-will-shut-down-songza-app-songza-com-to-fold-into-google-play-music/
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
As jgatie said, the reason Songza is no longer streaming on Sonos is because of the purchase. Songza isn't streaming anymore anywhere as they have been absorbed into Google Play Music. We're working to get the stations added to the free Google Play accounts on Sonos which is the main Songza feature that was added to Google Play Music, but it isn't ready quite yet. We'll let everyone know as soon as it is.
Ryan S, Thankyou for the quick response. I am not trolling, I remain firm in my conviction that the Canadian customers of Sonos have been treated badly. Streaming music from Songza was the selling reason for Sonos up North. Despite what jgatie states as 'fact', it remains only a promise at this time. I will re-evaluate once I see GPM having a free subscription, not a 'free trial' that requires a credit card number. Having to put in a cc number for a free 90 day trial and then having to remember to opt out before being charged is NOT a customer friendly move. (Yup, Google being evil, who woulda thought that?) If you really want to sell units, get Pandora up North. I understand that you only drive the platform, the apps are from outside. However, without the apps, Sonos doesn't really have much, I can do the same with a server, a bluetooth speaker and a wireless network. I reiterate, all I have now is an expensive radio, sorry.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
We understand the frustration and wanted to keep Songza up and running on Sonos as long as possible. Though you do need to add the credit card to the trial for Google Play, I believe you can remove the card almost immediately after the account is setup and running. It should be fine to play through the trial's full time with the card removed. I know this isn't the best experience, but it would prevent you from forgetting to remove the card at the end of the free trial.

Pandora is currently only available in the United States, Australia, and New Zealand. But they'd be welcome in most countries of the world if they're able to get the licensing and copyright agreements sorted out. As well as the server infrastructure that'd require.

We hope to get the free Google Play accounts streaming the Songza style stations soon. Stay tuned to the community for any news, we'll let you know.
Very frustrating. Previous info suggested transition from Sonza to Google Play would be seamless. Can not get Google Play Music to work in Sonos! And just a few posts above it indicates I can sign up for a 90 day trail, Not True. Google site clearly indicates a 30 day trial and then 9.99 per mth.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Google music works very well on my Sonos (USA). I don't know about the free trials - but none of that has anything to do with Sonos. That is between you and Google Music. I'm not sure how Sonos has responsibility for a music service shutting down (Songza) that they have no control over or vested interest in.

Actually Google Music has been my preferred service. I have been trying out Apple Music - - but other than the radio stations I'm not a big fan. My son is a die hard rhapsody fan and I can't ever cancel that one therefore. I have a long term subscription to Deezer. Its ok - got if for the music quality but overall the service doesn't seem to have as good a selection as others.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Very frustrating. Previous info suggested transition from Sonza to Google Play would be seamless. Can not get Google Play Music to work in Sonos! And just a few posts above it indicates I can sign up for a 90 day trail, Not True. Google site clearly indicates a 30 day trial and then 9.99 per mth.

The 90 day trial is through http://www.sonos.com/songza-google for US and CA customers that were eligible for Songza before they were merged into Google. The trial is only available if you haven't used a Google Play trial yet either. You'll need to put in credit card information for the trial as well, but you can remove it before you're charged.

We know it's not the best solution and are working to get the full free Google Play accounts working on Sonos, but you may find you like the full Google Play service, instead of just the free version.
Userlevel 2
I can cast the free Google Play Music service from an Android device to my Sonos system.

I have also ported a Chromecast Audio to the line-in of my Play5. This is another way to send the free Google Play Music service to your Sonos system from other devices (ie. iPad).

It's not as good as Sonos was, but it's the best solution I have been able to find at this time
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
Hi Ryan,

My 3 months free trial ended and it seems that Google Music's free channels aren't back. Is Sonos/Google going to offer another premium trial period what they hash things out? How it is coming along and when can we expect (free) Google Music to work?

Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
We’ve been working to bring the full features of Google Play Music's free offering (including the newly acquired Songza stations) to Sonos, but a recent change in development has made us unable to execute this prior to your Google Play Music trial expiration. We apologize that we were unable to deliver on this feature integration and we understand this is disappointing news for many users.

If you have an Android device, you can still enjoy all the free features of Google Play Music by playing directly to Sonos. Simply tap the cast button and select the Sonos group you’d like to play it to, all without ever leaving the Play Music App.

There are many music services available on Sonos, both subscription based and free, and the list is constantly growing. If you’re looking for a radio service similar to that of Songza, you may want to try AccuRadio. AccuRadio is one of the oldest operating Internet radio services and offers hundreds of customizable channels targeting a wide range of genres. You can find more information about our available services here: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3736.

One of our major focuses for the future is improving our streaming service integration on Sonos, and Google Play Music will remain to be a priority for us. While we don’t have a timetable available for getting the features of free radio added to Sonos, we’ll keep you updated if anything changes in the future.
Disappointing the ball has been dropped on this. Troubling, given that you don't have a timeline for resolution.
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
Hi Ryan,

I'd like to follow-up on the conversation above. Have you guys completed your Google Music integration? For the past few months, I had been using Slacker, but it seems that is it not available for free in Canada anymore.

Any update on the Google Play? Any alternative that won't end their free service in a few months after people flock to them?

Thanks

Edit: In my original post I mistakenly identified AccuRadio as the service that stopped working. Accuradio is still working, but not Slacker.
Badge
Please guys, this was originally slated for Spring and now we're coming up on the end of summer.

Is this being actively developed, or does Sonos not plan to continue building the integration for free users? Just an update on your plans is all I'm asking for.

I'm getting sick of free Pandora and would love to enjoy Songza's curated playlists on my Sonos system once again.
Please guys, this was originally slated for Spring and now we're coming up on the end of summer.

Is this being actively developed, or does Sonos not plan to continue building the integration for free users? Just an update on your plans is all I'm asking for.

I'm getting sick of free Pandora and would love to enjoy Songza's curated playlists on my Sonos system once again.

x2. also still looking forward to this, songza/google play playlists are way better than other services.
Hello Ryan. Any update on this? I'm also using Sonos on my Iphone and I'm eagerly anticipating the concierge feature to be available through the free GPM version. Thanks.
Userlevel 2
The bitrate quality of AccuRadio makes it unusable on Sonos. When will Google Play be coming back? I REALLY miss the concierge feature!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hello Ryan. Any update on this? I'm also using Sonos on my Iphone and I'm eagerly anticipating the concierge feature to be available through the free GPM version. Thanks.

Hey Fred, it's still something that we'll looking into with Google, but no news at the moment. It's still on the list though. Thanks for asking.
- redirected here from another thread on this topic-
Thank goodness I decided to only test the Sonos waters by purchasing 1 speaker. Obviously I did not do my homework well enough to discover that a free service would cost me $120/ year if I wanted it available through a Sonos speaker.
Badge
Please, please, please make this happen. The Songza faithful have not forgotten!