Answered

Resolved: Problems with Sonos Alarms for 12/31/16 - Updates Inside

Userlevel 6
Badge +3
As of this morning, there is currently an issue with Sonos alarms unable to be turned off. We're working on getting this resolved, but for now, any alarm scheduled to include Saturday the 31st will start playing immediately and cannot be stopped unless disabled again.

We’re sorry for the trouble and our teams are hard at work to resolve this. We'll post updates here as soon they become available.

In the meantime, if you have an alarm set for tomorrow that is going off and can't be stopped, you'll want to go into your Sonos controller and select Alarms. Then, disable any alarms scheduled daily or including Saturday. If disabling the alarms doesn't do it, deleting the alarm will.

Once that's done, you can stop your music as normal.
icon

Best answer by John M 31 December 2016, 02:20

Earlier today we discovered a bug in how some Sonos players interpret leap year dates, resulting in unexpected behavior for alarms set through your Sonos speakers. We're sorry for any inconvenience this has caused.

Until the end of the day on January 1st, 2017, alarms set on Sonos may trigger on the wrong days or times, not trigger at the time you set, or repeatedly loop / not turn off.

For the rest of this weekend, we recommend you disable any existing alarms. If your alarm is going off and can’t be silenced, disable the alarm and then stop the music. You’ll find instructions for alarms here.

After the 1st of January, we expect all alarms will resume their normal behavior. You have our commitment that we will fix this bug in a future update.
View original

181 replies

Stuart_W email from sonos some of our customers are having a problem with their alarms it is not affecting every customer however if you do have a problem you may try ***** simple!!
Since the 366th day oft the year 2016 is gone everything seems to be normal again.

Will SONOS solve this problem until the next leap year 2020?

🆒
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I thank God I was at home when this happened.
Do you imagine being in a 30 days cruise and have left high volume that cannot be stopped?

But I do not understand... Is there a fix already apart from disabling alarms?

Well you always disable all your alarms before going on a 30 day cruise right?

We don't actually know what the fault or whether it actually needs to be fixed.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
I thank God I was at home when this happened.
Do you imagine being in a 30 days cruise and have left high volume that cannot be stopped?

But I do not understand... Is there a fix already apart from disabling alarms?
Userlevel 1
Badge
My wife's just walked out.

When I shouted at her for screwing up my Sonos system she lost it. She had suggested the software may be buggy. I told her 'Sonos is way more reliable than you princess and this random 'on/off' behaviour is YOUR FAULT!'

Anyway she has gone. I'm going to wait until 2nd January just in case it really is her fault rather than Sonos. In the unlikely event it is a Sonos bug they need to find me a new wife!

Just saying.

If you're serious, she should have walked out on that attitude years ago. Just sayin'.

😉 Sonos and wife now functioning normally again. All is well with the world. If Sonos made 'partners' their would be less divorces. HNY.
Userlevel 2
I have now undone my temporary fix of a date change simply by re-ticking the box to take time from the internet in Settings, Date and Time Settings. All seems fine for me now.

Likewise. Date/Time and all alarms present and correct.
All will seemingly be fine now. Seemed to be a glitch with 12/31/2016. Or 31/12/2016.
I have now undone my temporary fix of a date change simply by re-ticking the box to take time from the internet in Settings, Date and Time Settings. All seems fine for me now.
Userlevel 2
I simply rest my desktop controller and all hand held controller this has reset the date and I have now 😳 reapplied the alarm setting seems to all be fixed
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I spent about 2 hours trying to resolve the problem and assumed my play 1 was faulty. Last resort googled and found on the sonos community website everyone was having the problem if they had alarms set. I cannot understand why sonos did not immediately send an email to their customers when they first knew a problem existed. Customer service?

Because:-

1) It doesn't affect everybody with alarms - I have a number set and I didn't get a problem
2) Many people don' use alarms.

So either the e-mail would have alarmed many people (pun intended!) for no reason whatsoever and no company is in the business of doing that.
I spent about 2 hours trying to resolve the problem and assumed my play 1 was faulty. Last resort googled and found on the sonos community website everyone was having the problem if they had alarms set. I cannot understand why sonos did not immediately send an email to their customers when they first knew a problem existed. Customer service?

Given that track record, we may as well warn Sonos programmers now already that the year 2100 will not be a leap year. After 2096 it will be another seven years before the next leap year, 2104. While they're at it, they should also program for y10k.

It's on my kids and their offspring at that point, bro. Guaranteed I won't care.

A slinky alarm? Such a thing exists?

My dogs think so.
What it did make me think is that my oldest zone player is over 10-years old, still working every day, still up to date (of course we all want more features), and the system I bought into is still available and current. How many other whole systems have come and gone in that time? I can count the number of hardware failures on the fingers on no hands - zero. 4*ZP100s, 1*ZP80, Play 5, 4*Play 1s, Play bar, sub, boost & I think I forgot one. All still working.

Given that track record, we may as well warn Sonos programmers now already that the year 2100 will not be a leap year. After 2096 it will be another seven years before the next leap year, 2104. While they're at it, they should also program for y10k.

For those of you wondering how you will manage without your sonos alarm may I suggest one of the following:
- your phone
- your computer
- your tablet
- your watch/i-watch/fitbit/garmin/slinky
- your alarm clock (you know the one beside your bed)
- heck even my TV has an alarm function
- or how about stay up all night complaining on the internet about nothing major.

A slinky alarm? Such a thing exists?
I've got the problem fixed for now by deleting all my alarms and changing the date to 2011, and going with manual date & time. Will I be able to go back to letting the internet set my date & time (go back to normal) after 1/2/2017?
Glad to read I am not alone. Woke up Dec 29 or 30 unable to stop my music alarm. I'd heat pause only for it to restart. I'd delete queue only for it to reappear. I reset the controller, but to no avail. Finally I just unclicked the alarm and now my controller works as expected. I blame the Russians!🆒

When I shouted at her for screwing up my Sonos system she lost it. She had suggested the software may be buggy. I told her 'Sonos is way more reliable than you princess and this random 'on/off' behaviour is YOUR FAULT!'

Anyway she has gone. I'm going to wait until 2nd January just in case it really is her fault rather than Sonos. In the unlikely event it is a Sonos bug they need to find me a new wife!

Just saying.

If you're serious, she should have walked out on that attitude years ago. Just sayin'.
Userlevel 2
And so in being entirely practical...

I've changed the date back by a couple of weeks so alarms work and will adjust it forwards next week sometime. This is IMHO the easiest workaround to keep things running.

As for the Sonos reaction to this issue, Changing code carries risks and could see faults added as well as removed. This is why god invented regression testing in my line of work 🙂. given its New Year, because Sonos have a broadly impeccable pedigree, and because the fault has a workaround or two, I for one choose to wish everyone including Sonos a Happy New Year and relax.

Big Vern.
Userlevel 1
Badge

Just saying.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
I must agree with Dave. Unlike much of the technology that is around, Sonos keeps working. When there are problems (mostly not Sonos in origin), they are generally easy to fix. Mostly it just does what I want and expect without my having to pay any attention to it.
Bravo Dave, I echo your thoughts, very well said. I think it's a no brainer that Sonos will, just wait this one out and resolve it permanently sometime in the new year, for future leap years, in the meantime, the issue will resolve itself come January 2nd. I for one will certainly toast Sonos and all the good people who represent a truly great product, come the strike of midnight.

Cheers to all
Nice one Dave. And in fact it only takes a temporary change to the Sonos system date to resolve things anyway (or at least it did for me). Thanks for some perspective.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
So I can't beleive Sonos haven't rush released a new software update which could have had no testing at all for a bug that is 24-hours old. A bug that only requires the deleting of alarms to resolve (or unplugging), and will resolve itself in under 48-hours. After removing alarms 99% of the functionality of the device is 100% working.
For those of you wondering how you will manage without your sonos alarm may I suggest one of the following:
- your phone
- your computer
- your tablet
- your watch/i-watch/fitbit/garmin/slinky
- your alarm clock (you know the one beside your bed)
- heck even my TV has an alarm function
- or how about stay up all night complaining on the internet about nothing major.

What it did make me think is that my oldest zone player is over 10-years old, still working every day, still up to date (of course we all want more features), and the system I bought into is still available and current. How many other whole systems have come and gone in that time? I can count the number of hardware failures on the fingers on no hands - zero. 4*ZP100s, 1*ZP80, Play 5, 4*Play 1s, Play bar, sub, boost & I think I forgot one. All still working.

OK the alarm thing is a minor nuisance, I use them everyday to wake the house with music but no big deal.

And to cap it off when I had spanning tree issue (not sonos fault but a new draytek router with known STP issues) the support team helped me configure my netgear smart swtich to make up for the Draytek router even though all Sonos stuff out of warranty.

May I take this opporutnity to thank Sonos for over 10-years of audio, the best system on the planet and the best support team. I wish them a happy New Year and look forward to an update that resolves a minor gremlin when it has been through due testing.

Thanks
Dave.
Badge
That bug has more side-effects.

First of all, the Sonos app assumes that it's already January 1st, 2017. Seems to be a leap year bug as assumed already here.

Secondly, though the app displays the correct time (except for the date) it started building the media library at 11.35 a.m. though the setting still reads 3.00 a.m. Seems that date and time are totally off though the time is displayed properly. And the weirdest thing is the offset of 8 hours and 35 minutes. Therefore, it cannot be blamed on miscalculating timezones.

I find it weird too that Sonos will not be able to fix the problem fast and tells us that we should not use their alarm system until January 2nd. What is so difficult about fixing a programming bug that obviously is related to the leap year? We seem to be lucky that leap years occur only every four years (with rare exceptions). That should give Sonos enough time to fix the problem once January 1st, 2017, has passed.

Perhaps they gave everyone the New Years weekend off?
😃
The bug is bad coding. And should be a breeze to fix.
Its rather discomforting that this slips QA and regression.
it is always easy when it is someone else doing it. In fact if i were Sonos i would do nothing in haste. In less than 24 hours this problem will probably go away of its own accord. Of course there will need to be a remedial fix, but any change risks unforeseen consequences.
Userlevel 2
I’m posting this in case it may help someone else who has the same issue. A few days ago (just after Christmas) I lost connection to my Playbar. It didn’t show up on the Sonos app and stopped working over the optical link from the TV as well. A solid white indicator light was showing but I couldn’t coax it into life. This went on for a few days. When I called to raise a support ticket I obviously heard the problem with alarms. I had a daily alarm set up and it was still operating OK on my other three Sonos units up until yesterday when I turned it off as a precaution. The moment I turned it off the Playbar came back to life and has been operating without a problem for the last 24 hours.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings