Answered

Resolved: Problem with Spotify on Sonos 18th November

Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Earlier today, Sonos players connecting to Spotify to play tracks began receiving the error message “Connection to Spotify is lost.” Our engineering team responded to the problem immediately and we’re currently working with Spotify to resolve the issue as quickly as possible, in addition to understanding how the fault occurred so we can prevent similar problems in the future.

Rest assured we hate instability as much as you do, it’s unacceptable. If you follow this thread by clicking ‘Favorite,’ we’ll notify you know when the issue is resolved and Spotify service is fully restored. Thank you for your continued patience and please accept our apologies for this interruption in your daily listening.

Edits made to add details at 10:10 AM PST.

Edited with all clear: Following post was made at 11:45 AM PST

I made a few changes to the post from Kenneth this morning with some more details. We're starting to see playback coming back after a concerted effort from both Spotify and Sonos teams. It's a little early to give you an all clear, but feel free to check Spotify to see if it's working again on your systems.

Thanks for all the diagnostics you guys posted, they're very helpful for the team to identify issues such as this. We’ll let you know when we have an official resolution for all systems.
icon

Best answer by John M 18 November 2015, 23:23

Earlier today, Spotify playback on Sonos began failing for as-of-yet unknown reasons. Both Sonos and Spotify immediately engaged our engineering teams to determine what was happening and to find the appropriate fix. We believe the problem was fully resolved by 11AM PST when both teams were able to confirm that the service is was fully restored.

Although we will both conduct a more thorough engineering review and investigation over the next few days, we suspect at this moment that today's service interruption was caused by a latent incompatibility in how Sonos players interface with Spotify, and triggered by a routine service update to Spotify's architecture. Neither partner had reason to believe that this update would create problems for our customers, and both teams accept responsibility for today's disruption to your home listening.

After we verify these results through an investigation, we will ensure that this latent problem is addressed so that future updates do not put your listening in jeopardy. Please accept our sincere apologies.

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

105 replies

I have to say that I have been having continual problems with Spotify through Sonos and beginning to be more than a little fed up with it all!!
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
I have to say that I have been having continual problems with Spotify through Sonos and beginning to be more than a little fed up with it all!! Have you been already in contact with one of our engineer over the phone? If not, please tell me what is the exact issue and send me a diagnostic number, I will have a look for you.
Hi Pierre,

I've been experiencing the same problem over and over again.
It would be great if you can take a look at my diagnostic.
The diagnostic number is : 5122824.
Thank you

Raymond
Same problems as everyone else... diagnostic number 5122891
Same here in Sweden Diagnostics no: 5122921
Same Finland
Germany no different... Trust SONOS will fix it soon. It's in moments like this you realise how addicted you are to your SONOS 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
remember this ?
http://blog.sonos.com/worldwide/recent-spotify-interruptions/

and this ?
http://blog.sonos.com/worldwide/your-music-should-never-stop-playing-an-update-from-quality/

Spotify is a great partner and one of the most loved services on Sonos. We fully believe your music should never stop playing and you should always be able to count on us both for that.

Luckily my trusty Pioneer XW-SMA3 (Spotify Connect) backup just keeps on playing...
Hi Pierre I had long telephone call with one of your colleagues yesterday and he changed the DNS - 151113-000936 which did appear to work but we now have the current problem. I have had problems connecting to Spotify for some weeks now. Are there other systems to stream music through without having to pay another monthly premium.
Same problem here. AGAIN. This happens more often than not now, when Sonos works it's great but it so rarely works now that for the amount of money paid it seems to be a rip off. I wouldn't recommend it to anybody now and that's a shame as it has potential to be excellent.
Sonos is not a rip off, mine works flawlessly. I don't use spotify however, so I know where I'd be pointing my finger...
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Sonos is not a rip off, mine works flawlessly. I don't use spotify however, so I know where I'd be pointing my finger...

when Spotify works fine on a phone/tablet/computer, Spotify Connect works on a different brand of wireless speaker and the Spotify Web Player (the same API which Sonos is apparently using) also works, my finger is definitely pointing towards Sonos !
Kind of relived that everyone is having the same issue this morning; and good to see Sonos are working on a fix for what is admittedly quite a big show stopper as far as customers are concerned. I've been using SONOS on a daily basis for about 2 years now and as far as I'm concerned the service is constantly improving; with newer features going into the app and improvements to the UI. Major disruption issues like this come along once in a blue moon; i'm sure it'll be back to normal in no time.
My face when its back up and running?
Userlevel 2
And another one, in case it helps - diag nr: 5123510

my finger is definitely pointing towards Sonos !

I'm making assumptions here, but it's probably a shared responsability.

Taking a step back, the one culprit here is likely the complexities introduced by the demands of the music industry lawyers...
I don't mind paying for music but this is yet another instance where the people _not_ paying for their music can continue listening to their tunes and laughing at us poor sods 🙂
We've seen this before, Sonos use a different set of spotify servers from everyone else (why I don't know), those servers can stop working and everyone else is ok. I don't know who administers those servers though, Sonos or spotify. I've got a vague recollection they're hosted by Amazon though, might be wrong about that.
Sent diagnostics. 5123486.

Spotify working fine on my phone, which I have plugged into line-in for now. So clearly Sonos' fault. Are you guys going to provide any sort of post-mortem and explain what broke and how you are going to ensure that it won't happen in the future? I took a big risk on you guys and put your equipment through my entire home instead of installing conventional speakers and a central audio system a few months ago. If you're going to keep having outages like this, I need to return it all while I still can and go back to something that is actually going to work.

Please let me know what you see from my diags.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Sent diagnostics. 5123486.

Spotify working fine on my phone, which I have plugged into line-in for now. So clearly Sonos' fault. Are you guys going to provide any sort of post-mortem and explained what broke and how you are going to ensure that it won't happen in the future? I took a big risk on you guys and put your equipment through my entire home instead of installing conventional speakers and a central audio system a few months ago. If you're going to keep having outages like this, I need to return it all while I still can and go back to something that is actually going to work.

Please let me know what you see from my diags.

As LHC mentions above, this isnt the first large-scale outage we have seen from Sonos/Spotify. It was a disaster over the christmas/new year period of 2014. Sonos claimed (in January) to have done a "thorough investigation" and put changes in place to avoid future occurrences with improved capacity / failover tools / monitoring and software changes.

Unfortunately none of those have helped today.
Dont work for me, spend My money on it today... And dosent work! Fun! 5123750 -ID
I'm having the same problem.

I occasionally lose my connection to Spotify, but a reboot of the main Sonos speaker and wi-fi in my house usually allows it to reconnect.

Strangely though, on those occasions the Sonos system cannot 'see' Spotify, whereas in this case it can see Spotify fine and even find songs, but won't play them.

Very annoying.

I've also submitted my diagnostics - 5123931
I have 13 (yes, thirteen) Play3 speakers dotted around my pub. Those, plus (NOW REDUNDANT) bridges and bits cost me over £3500. What a STUPID investment decision. Nothing but trouble; and in a commercial environment, the constant outages are just plainly a disaster.

For the record, lots of people see the speakers and ask me about them. My stock-standard reply, since I installed it about 14 months ago: I WOULDN'T RECOMMEND IT TO MY WORST ENEMY.

Today's lack of service is just another example.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Thanks for the diags everyone. Our teams are still working on it, hope to have more news soon.
same here, tried all suggested solutions.. no luck
My Diagnostics #5123976.
Same problem as anyone. Diagnostics number #5123995

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings